Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity3D on Linux with Wine: Support thread

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by wnk, Nov 15, 2013.

1. wnk

wnk

Having recently come back to Unity development, after a long period of maybe 2 years, I've been really missing Linux support. I've struggled for some time to get Unity3D working with Wine.
    While it would certainly be very nice to have a native Linux version, I'm creating this thread to give general support on how to get the Unity Editor working with our favourite OS.

I believe this guide is all you'll need to get Unity running:

• Download Unity setup executable
    • Install PlayOnLinux
    • Click Tools->Manage Wine Versions
    • On the x86 tab, select 1.7.6 and click on the right arrow to install it
    • Click Tools->Run a local script and select the attached script
    • Follow the install instructions and relax while everything installs ;)

Troubleshooting
    • If the program installs, but all you get is a blank screen, try changing your system time zone to a more well-known location.
    • You cannot create a new project from the create a new project dialog. Instead, you must create a new empty directory and point to it

Let me know if anyone run into any problem, I'll do my best to help.

--Cauê

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Running_Unity_on_Linux_through_Wine

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  2. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Hi Cauê,

I'm really interested to try this out! :)

In your post you say to run the attached script. Did you mean to attach a script to your post?

Thanks,
    Nathan

3. wnk

wnk

Oh wow. Really thought I had attached it!

Anyway, here it is - in text form:
    Code (csharp):
    2. #!/bin/bash
    3. [ "$PLAYONLINUX" = "" ]  exit 0
    4. source "$PLAYONLINUX/lib/sources"
    6. POL_SetupWindow_Init
    8. POL_SetupWindow_presentation "Unity 3D" "Unity" "http://www.unity3d.com/" "Cauê Waneck" "Unity3D"
    10. #create prefix
    11. export WINEARCH="win32"
    12. POL_Wine_SelectPrefix "Unity3D"
    13. POL_Wine_PrefixCreate "1.7.6"
    14. #setup prefix
    15. POL_Wine_InstallFonts
    16. #POL_Call POL_Install_directx9
    17. POL_Call POL_Install_dotnet20
    18. POL_Call POL_Install_tahoma
    20. mkdir -p $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/users/$USER/AppData/LocalLow
    22. #registry
    23. regfile=$(mktemp --suffix=.REG)
    24. echo "REGEDIT4" > $regfile
    25. echo "" >> $regfile
    26. echo "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion]" >> $regfile
    27. echo '"ProductId"="12345-oem-0000001-54321"' >> $regfile
    29. POL_Wine regedit $regfile
    30. #rm $regfile
    32. POL_SetupWindow_browse "Please select the location of the Unity3D setup executable" "Unity Setup Executable"
    34. UNITYLOC=$APP_ANSWER
    35. POL_Wine $UNITYLOC
    37. POL_Shortcut "Unity.exe" "Unity 3D"
    39. POL_SetupWindow_Close
    40. exit
    Save it as unity.pol . You may need to set it +x

Let me know if it works for you!
    Cheers!
    Cauê

4. Tomza

Tomza

Hi! I use openSuse. I tried to use Unity3D, but I had many problems to start it. I gave up. Maybe some tips for me, man. More details.

Regards,

Tomza

5. wnk

wnk

Can you try the instructions above? Also, if it still doesn't work, try to copy/paste the log you get when starting it - available from PlayOnLinux on the "debug" option

6. Tomza

Tomza

I used Wine, not PlayonLinux. But I can't install it on opneSuse.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "mainwindow.py", line 31, in <module>
    import wxversion
    ImportError: No module named wxversion
    ./playonlinux: line 144: python2.6: nie znaleziono polecenia

I installed wxpython. It doesn't help.

7. Tomza

Tomza

nie znaleziono polecenia = command not found

8. Tomza

Tomza

I solved the problem. It needs to install python-wxWidgets to start installing playonlinux. And then probably you need to install other things, but python-wxWidgets is the most important to start the program.

9. wnk

wnk

Have you been able to get it running?

10. Tomza

Tomza

I'm going to run Unity3D today. I will tell you the results. By the way, I gave the link to this thread on my blog. I hope your solution works. My friend is in Brazil, in Rio. He loves your country. I hope I'll visit Brazil soon, too. :)

Oh, I see Unity Team released a new version, Unity3d 4.3 (Wow, 1 GB!!!). However, still no support for Linux Editor. I hope your solution works on openSuse. I love openSuse, and I wish to run all software I need. I'm programming in Java, but I'd like to use Unity3D again. If I could run it without problems. I hope you will help me, waneck-six. Greetings from cold Poland!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  11. Tomza

Tomza

I've started to install Unity3d on PlayOnLinux. I did as you told. PlayOnLinux is installing Mono. Let's wait. It's going... going... PlayOnLinux is downloading dotnetfx,exe. .NET Framework 2.0 is installing. PlayOnLinux is downloading Windows XP-KBxxxxxx-SP3xxxx. Ok, it should emulate a true Windows :). 316 MB! I'm installing Unity3D. Installing .NET framework 4 Client Profile and Extended. The Unity3D installation finished! PlayOnLinux show me:
    Error in POL_Wine
    I have two Unity3D icons on my desktop: Unity and Unity3D. Unity doesn't run Unity, but Unity3D runs the program.I gave my credentials to the Unity account. Now Unity3D is asking me for creating a new project. Well, here it can be a problem. I'll try your solution.

I made an empty directory and pointed to it in the Unity create new project dialog. Alas, Create button doesn't work. It's a known problem to me. So?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  12. Tomza

Tomza

I've just solved the problem! I hope I remember what I did step by step. I'll try to recall.

I clicked the Unity3D shortcut on my desktop (remember that PlayOnLinux made two shortcuts for me on the desktop: Unity and Unity3D. Unity doesn't work. I use Unity3D

Unity3D asked me for creating or opening a project. I had troubles here. I made an empty directory what was told by Cauê. It didn't work for me :(. I had various irritating errors. temp directory couldn't be made, another Unity3d software is running, etc. I thought I was impossible to start Unity3D on Linux.

I click Create New Project tab in Project Wizard. I chose assets for my new unity project, but the Create button didn't work. It was inactive. But I got the empty directory New Unity Project thanks to that.

I clicked Open Project tab.

I clicked Open Other...

I pointed to the New Unity Project directory.

I clicked it to highlight

I clicked OK

And Unity3d started!

Alas, I have no assets in my project. I must test all to tell you more. And I write about that on my IT blog. I hope you will be successful too. Cauê's script gives some errors but it works. Thanks, man!

13. wnk

wnk

Hey Tomza. Great to know it worked for you!
    About creating a new project, I meant to point to the trick you've discovered above - which is to open an empty directory as if it were a consolidated project.

14. Tomza

Tomza

Maybe you are right about creating a new project. However, I created a new directory and got errors only. I couldn't run Unity3D. I was playing with Project Wizard. And when I did what I wrote earlier, Unity3D started suddenly. I was amazed. I was trying to install Unity3D earlier, but when I got to Project Wizard, I couldn't run the editor. I didn't use PlayOnLinux, only Wine. And there was not your script, of course. I did all manually. Your script is very useful. It automate the process of installation. I wrote about you and your script on my blog. Many people visit my blog, so they will be redirected to this thread. I described the installation process in detail, step by step, so that all people can install Unity3D on *nix platform.
    My blog:

http://tomaszzackiewicz.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/run-unity3d-on-linux-with-wine-solved/

All suggestions will be welcomed. Maybe my English isn't too perfect, but good enough to understand all.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  15. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Thanks a ton for the script Caue :)

I have it up and running under Manjaro and it seems to work flawlessly so far!

I'm going to check a few more projects to see if I run into any issues.

16. Tomza

Tomza

Yes, the script is great - it automates the work. Unity3D was installed on my openSuse and ran well in the beginning. However, now it's crashed.
    $Unity3D-Wine.jpeg

Wine isn't the best solution, only for playing with Unity3D. It can't be used for production purposes. We are waiting for Linux Editor.

17. alberto-lara

alberto-lara

Same here, waiting for a Linux Editor.

18. alberto-lara

alberto-lara

I can't even run unity, I just get this:
    $Captura de pantalla - 221113 - 10:10:09.png

Any suggest for get it running?

I have manjaro, 64 bit, kernel 3.11. Thanks.

19. Tomza

Tomza

Wow! I've just installed openSuse 13.1. I'm really amazed. The graphics is maybe better than in Windows is. Use Cauê's script, my tutorial, and install a new openSuse. Just look at that:
    $Unity3D-Wine-NewSystem.jpeg

You don't need Windows anymore!!!! I hope this will be working forever.

rakkarage likes this.
  20. Tomza

Tomza

I got this error too. There were some errors but they weren't critical. I wrote about it in my tutorial. But can you proceed in spite of this error. I could go further. I think you should click Siguiente. Just try it.

21. wnk

wnk

Hey guys!

@NathanWarden, great to know it worked for you. Let us know if you run into any issues. One known issue is that the asset store isn't accessible right now. I'll try to investigate a solution when I have the time

@Tomza, so it ended up working? Great!

@alberto-lara, Can you attach the log file? You can get it at ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Unity/playonlinux.log . Also Tomza suggested that despite this error it'll install correctly - I'm not sure as I don't get this error when I install on my own machine.

22. Tomza

Tomza

I don't speak in Spanish, but I had errors during installation. Maybe different one, but there was. Not only one error with Wine, but also a few ones with Unity3D, before creating a new project (for example, it couldn't create a temp directory). The new directory having created by me didn't start Unity3D. I was forced to play with Project Wizard. After having installed Unity3D, the quality of the software was really bad. However, the new version of openSuse (13.1) make Unity 3D running well. I think it depends on the operating system you are using. I know that guys from openSuse did much as to 3D graphics. Other Linux distributions can have some problems with installing Unity3D. Just try with opensuse 13.1. Its 3D graphics is perfect. I'm really astonished. Do not use other operating systems. If you wish to make games in Linux, just install openSuse 13.1. I know it works perfectly. i see even gizmos. I played with Unity3d installed on openSuse, and it works well.
    Look at these print screens:
    $Unity4D-Wine-NewSystem1.jpeg $Unity4D-Wine-NewSystem3.jpeg $Unity4D-Wine-NewSystem4.jpeg

Yes, I see some problems with displaying textures, but you can see them in Inspector. Remember, it's an emulation only. It won't be the same like in case of Linux editor.

23. alberto-lara

alberto-lara

Well, I have bad luck, now I get this:
    $2.png

Looks like Unity was successfully installed but it can't run, maybe it's my graphics card, here's my lspci out:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Can I see your graphics info? (just for comparing).
    Thanks a lot (I'm thinking on install opensuse 13.1).

24. alberto-lara

alberto-lara

25. Tomza

Tomza

lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 0c)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (secondary) (rev 0c)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
    00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    03:01.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. Cardbus bridge (rev 21)
    03:01.4 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire (IEEE 1394) (rev 02)
    09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11a/b/g (rev 01)

Tell me something about your hardware (new, old, PC, laptop, etc).

26. Tomza

Tomza

Installed successfully? Why can't it run? More details. Do you have two Unity3D shortcuts on your desktop? Can't you create a new Unity project?
    If your hardware is new, I think the problem is in software. You need new drivers for your graphics card. openSuse 13.1 got such drivers. They work perfectly. My old openSuse (12.2) had many problems with displaying Unity3D Editor. It was crashed. My graphics card is the same, but the drivers were changed. Some Linux distributions aren't good in 3D graphics. Windows is better. But now people from openSuse did their best, and the graphics is excellent. I don't know your distribution, but I know openSuse works. You see the results. Go to my tutorial on my blog. I told you that you could install Unity3D in spite of some errors. If they aren't critical, they aren't dangerous. I have your logs. I need time to analyze the file.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  27. alberto-lara

alberto-lara

It was installed but it can't run (I don't know exactly why).
    I have the 2 shortcuts you said and I can't create a new project (because unity doesn't even run).
    The summary of my laptop is this:

Intel core i3, 2.3 GHZ, 4 cores.
    4 GB RAM.
    Sandy Bridge driver on graphics (intel's integrated).
    manjaro kernel 3.11, 64 bit (a linux distribution based in Archlinux, maybe you know Arch).

I'll try the new OpenSuse, It's been a while since I use it.

Again, Many thanks.

28. Tomza

Tomza

It would be good if you could start Unity3D on the console. You would see all the errors that prevent you from running the software. Yes, you should have two shortcuts on your desktop - Unity doesn't work, but Unity3D should work. If you don't see Project Wizard for creating or opening Unity3D projects, I think something missing in your operating system. The log file should show all. You have a very good hardware - mine is older (Dell's laptop).
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz
    2 GB RAM
    Linux version 3.11.6-4-pae, 32 bit

But it's enough to run Unity3D.

I think the success of openSuse is because of:
    OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2
    Version : 2.1 Mesa 9.2.2

SDL2 is now part of openSUSE 13.1. For game developers here is the migration guide. End users will benefit, once applications are ported, from full 3D hardware acceleration, support for openGL 3.0+ and ES, multiple-window- display- and audio device support, a 2D rendering API which uses OpenGL(ES) behind the scenes, Force Feedback, shaped windows, power management, touch support, improved full-screen support, clipboard support, drag'n'drop support and much more.

Read the article:
    http://wiki.libsdl.org/MigrationGuide

Thanks to that, we have a beautiful graphics. There are many improvements in openSuse 13.1. I see them, especially in graphics. Your Majaro has a recent kernel, but what with graphics? I have never used Arch Linux, but I know this distribution. I think openSuse is the best distribution in spite of some disadvantages. I've been working with it for years. Yes, openSuse 13.1 solved my problems with running Unity3D on Linux. IT'S BECAUSE OF THE EXCELLENT GRAPHICS OF OPENSUSE 13.1! I haven't tried with other distributions, but I know it works with openSuse. You see the print-screens. You can use Unity3D even for production - it's really stable. I'm amazed. I made even an animation. It works! So far, everything works.

My tutorial about the Unity3D installation on openSuse 13.1:

http://tomaszzackiewicz.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/run-unity3d-on-linux-with-wine-solved/

Guys, please inform us about your success or fail in installation Unity3D. We want to know about your distributions, errors you got (In English, of course) and other things. It will be helpful for other people who have problems.

29. alberto-lara

alberto-lara

You've convinced me :) I'm downloading openSuse 13.1 right now. Many thanks.

30. Tomza

Tomza

It's the best solution for you I think. Linux is Linux - no difference for you, but openSuse 13.1 got very good 3D graphics. And you need the very good graphics to run Unity3D. Not all distros are able to run such software properly. In your Manjaro, I think you should have installed some libraries to run Unity3D successfully. Some errors in your log couldn't be fixed by PlayOnLinux. I installed much to run PlayOnLinux on openSuse. It's important to read the messages on the console. But even if you installed the software with Manjaro, Unity3D could crash or be displayed improperly. You probably saw my first screen-shot - Unity3D was crashed with openSuse 12.2. No modern 3D acceleration, drivers, and graphics libraries. openSuse 13.1 solved that.

I think Ubuntu can run Unity3D properly, too, but I'm not sure. The guys from Ubuntu take care of graphics because it was the main competitor for Windows. However, Ubuntu isn't a true Linux now. Many people criticize this distro. For years, graphics has been drawback in Linux. Graphics in Windows has always been the best. But it's changing. To make Linux popular, Linux distros have to support 3D acceleration fully. It's important for games and game editors like Unity3D. Let's change the fact that "there are no games for Linux". Now we are able to. And Windows users won't have such arguments against Linux. The last arguments they have :).

31. alberto-lara

alberto-lara

Everything went well, here's the proof:

$unity.png

I followed your blog's tutorial with the only difference of using wine 1.7.7 and a portable playonlinux, many thanks man :) Hope this helps more people.

32. Tomza

Tomza

Great! I told you. Over 12 years in IT, so I have some experience how to solve some problems. I'm not a specialist in Unity3D, but I've been working with Linux for many years. I know openSuse is one of the best distributions. Now, when we have openSuse 13.1, it's the best of all, especially as to 3D graphics. I hope other distributions will do the same soon. And you will be using your Manjaro, for example, to run Unity3D.

Wine 1.7.7 isn't stable, but has some bug fixed. I hope it will be working well for you.

Hey, Guys, you see you can use Unity3D on Linux. openSuse 13.1, of course! It works. Cauê's script does many work for you. You aren't forced to do all manually. Now it's easy. Thanks, Cauê. Thanks, Alberto from Mexico, too. You confirmed that I was right.

I ask all people reading this thread to write some comments. I'd like to know how it works with other Linux distros. Or maybe you use openSuse only.

As to Unity3D on Linux, I noticed when I changed the project directory, I lost my game objects in the first project directory. There's no my scene with game objects any more!

Good game developing!

Best wishes!

33. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Thanks again waneck,

So far so good! :)

The only issue I'm having with it is that for some reason it seams beast crashes it when I go to bake lightmaps, but it's not a big deal personally since I can bake them my secondary machine.

Thanks again a ton!!! :)

34. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Oh, one more thing, for the most recent release of AI Behavior I recorded a video of how to use Mecanim with it... Take a look what OS I'm using to demo it wink, wink :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ez2dldLaqg

35. Tomza

Tomza

I don't know which OS you are using, but it isn't stable for 100% just like openSuse 13.1. openSuse doesn't winks. I haven't used beast so far.

36. pullmonkey

pullmonkey

I have it working in Wine as well (using ubuntu 13.10), yeah!

The only problem I haven't been able to figure out is the "play" button at the top - doesn't seem to work for me.
    When I click on it, everything in my hierarchy clears, and the game window goes blank, so does the scene window.
    When I click the "play" button again, game mode stops, but everything is still missing.
    The same is true with a blank/new project or a project with just a camera and a cube. I'm not using any scripts right now.

I can't tell if this is an issue with me being new to Unity3D or if it's an issue related to Wine?

Those of you that have it working - are you able to use the "play" button successfully?

Let me know, and thanks again for all the details!

37. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Play is working for me. Your problem is probably related to wine, I hope you get your issue sorted out.

38. Tomza

Tomza

The Play button is working for me (look up where there are my screenshots). I use openSuse 13.1. I think your problem is with rendering 3D graphics. Maybe Ubuntu isn't good enough to run Unity3D. Could you try with openSuse 13.1? As far I know, this OS has the best 3D acceleration. New drivers for graphics card and graphic libraries. Please read my posts. Alberto-Lara tried it out and was successful. Manjaro wasn't good enough to run Unity3D. He just changed his OS. I think you should do the same.

39. pullmonkey

pullmonkey

Nathan, Tomza - thanks for letting me know - I re-installed unity3D and my play button is working now!

I was using wine 1.6 by itself, and not using playonlinux.
    I decided to use playonlinux and wine 1.7.6, ran the script, installed unity3d, ran it and everything is working well.

Thank you!

40. Tomza

Tomza

So it works with Ubuntu? Yes, using PlayOnLinux seems important for running Unity3D on Linux. It helps much.

41. pullmonkey

pullmonkey

Works great on Ubuntu ... other than, the already mentioned, creating a new project, things are working as expected. The graphics are not a problem either. My problem was just an older version of wine - I installed it through apt-get and had version 1.6. I used playonlinux, but presumably using wine version 1.7.6+ was the fix for me. So glad I found this tutorial, fixed everything.

42. Tomza

Tomza

Great! Now we sure Unity3D is working on openSuse 13.1 and Ubuntu with using PlayOnLinux well. Can you place some screen-shots here? At least one. It will be a proof for other people. And I will see the quality of graphics. Try to change your Unity3D project to another. And then, come back to the first project. When I did so, I lost my whole scene and game objects. I wish to know if somebody will have the same problem.

43. pullmonkey

pullmonkey

44. Tomza

Tomza

Wow, it's looks great! You are a talented game developer. Thank you very much for these screen-shots because you prove that you can run a very good game on Linux in Unity3D Editor. Can you develop games on Ubuntu? Do you see any problems? If so, please write. it will be helpful for other people.
    I wrote earlier what is bad in my Unity3D on openSuse 13.1. It's important to have a stable game developing environment for making games, not only playing with Unity3D Editor. So far, I'm only playing. No serious tasks. i wish to know if it's stable enough. In other words, testing, testing, and testing...

45. Corentin

Corentin

Success here with Ubuntu 13.10
    My attempts with Wine only were very unstable, this seems ok for the moment...

What does not work is MonoDevelop : I get an error for parsing the config file. You don't get this one, do you ?

46. pullmonkey

pullmonkey

Corentin - nice!

MonoDevelop works for me. Although, initially, I recall that it was not working, same exact issue you mention.
    So, instead of letting unity call it when I click "open" on a script, I just open MonoDevelop via "window" key (in ubuntu) - by searching for MonoDevelop (or any substring, e.g., mono).

Note: by window-key lookup, I'm just using the window key on the keyboard to open the launcher.

I've also started running unity the same way ... from ubuntu's "window" key lookup.

I believe my issue was when running within PlayOnLinux, the two were not finding each other.

So, the steps I take when launching unity:
    1) window-key search for Mono (in ubuntu)
    2) select and open MonoDevelop
    3) window-key search for Unity (in ubuntu)
    4) select and open Unity

The two (unity3d and monodevelop) should work together now. You can double click (or click open) the JS/CS files under your assets in Unity and then you might have to alt-tab over to MonoDevelop.

47. Tomza

Tomza

I have never used MonoDevelop with Unity3D. I'm a computer programmer and I'm accustomed to using Notepad++, the best editor for various programming languages. So I use Notepad++ with Unity3D, too. I installed and now use it with no problems. I can do the same like in Windows. Read my article:

http://tomaszzackiewicz.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/how-to-setup-notepad-for-unity/

I think you can do the same with MonoDevelop. Maybe I'll try that out, but to work with Unity3D well, MonoDevelop should be for Windows to run on Wine. In this way, it will be cooperating with Unity3D. But I think only. It should be tried out.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  48. Corentin

Corentin

I ended up installing windows... Unity had many glitches running under POL, interface was strange, fps were good but game was choppy etc...
    It sure feels better in windows7. I really hope there will be a linux version someday !

49. Tomza

Tomza

Thanks for your opinion. It's an emulation only, so it's not perfect. I'm trying to use my old assets that were on Windows XP on Linux, an I have a lot of troubles - many errors to fix. I've solved almost all up to know. There are many things that don't work or work strange on Linux. It's hard to use Unity3D on Linux for production purposes. You like it or not, you are forced to use Windows. However, I want you Corentin to try openSuse 13.1 out. Its graphics seems the best of all Linux distros' ones. I started Notepad++, too. It works very good. If you don't see gizmos, just restart Unity3D. I'll be testing Unity3D on Linux with using POL.

50. Corentin

Corentin

Sorry Tomza, I wish I could spend a few hours installing openSuse, but I don't have much spare time, and I'm not sure it is worth the trouble. Thanks for the advice though. If I change distro someday, i'll definitively give openSuse a look