Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by antonweatherly, Aug 19, 2013.

1. antonweatherly

antonweatherly

(Deleted) Post about a game no longer in production.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Is this post a joke?

" If you are interested and willing to work without pay until this game is complete then send me a message on this website:"

How do you plan to pay individuals who work on this after this is released... If the games revenue will be $0? You cannot release a fan-based game for profits. Copyright laws are in place for a reason.

No offense and I'm sure you're a smart individual and have some game making skills, but TBH this is common sense. If you think you wont get shut down after release, you have another thing coming. I had a project up and running "Harvest Moon Online". Was shut down before it even built up a nice player base, and that strictly fan-based with no profits what so ever. Just for fun.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. antonweatherly

antonweatherly

This is still largely in concept stage so it could change from here. I was planning on setting up a donations system once the game is done. Like I said, this is in its early stages and thus it is set to change. I may change the game to be less fan based, at the moment it's meant to bring interest to the game.

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

donations are still a form of profit despite what name you try to hide it under.

5. antonweatherly

antonweatherly

Okay I was unaware that would be an issue, ive edited my original comment so as to correct my mistake.

6. primus88

primus88

Aaah. This is what I call PR done right.
    You see James? This is why you are not a rich game developer. You didn't leech of the success of a franchise with which you have no connection or hold no rights upon.

I'm thinking to call my game "Overlord of World of Warcraft: Grand Theft Auto". Created by Blizzzard (with an extra z).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  7. antonweatherly

antonweatherly

Man, your a genius. Like I said I am aware of certain copyright issues and I will work around these.

8. primus88

primus88

I don't know where I said anything about copyright issues. That part is not even debatable. Of course you wont be able to produce the game without permission, not even if it is free, yet alone, commercial.

I was talking about using franchises to attract ( undeserved ) attention., thus, the quotation on which I relied my analysis.

9. antonweatherly

antonweatherly

I understand this, I was more referencing the older posts, and the reason copyright would be an issue is because of use of settings and ideas. My original idea was to create a game based on avatar which may not be possible now, hence I said "work around the copyright". I don't need to be told that this is an issue since this is a work in progress piece still.

10. Peter Ples

Peter Ples

Hm, Avatar and bending the four elements. I'd say if you're serious, go with something else. Maybe they're magic or psychic. Definitely better to make something as original as you can.

11. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Honestly... Make a game that has an original name, original story line original whatever. Stories are easy to come up with. I can sit in a chair and make up 50 different stories in a day, all unique. Sure they will be crappy stories but as long as its unique it will be new to people. You can even borrow aspects of games and franchises just dont copy it completely.

Use elements.. Thats not the issue, the issue is when you say "This clan controls this, they control that and this is avatar!". Add more then 4 elements. Do something unique. Maybe.. Groups of people (So be it.. clans) can really use ANY element but each faction believes an element belongs to a god, and each god element is the 1 true all and powerful, the others are mediocre. So that faction chooses to meddle with that element although they have the ability to tamper with other elements such as earth, wind, fire, water, sonic, physcy, etc.

Idk but see how easy it is to make up some kind of plot.

Also, perhaps you design it as a different theme.. Maybe another planet and create elements no one is used to that are unique to that planet, Maybe a space theme. Maybe futuristic or even pre-historic cavemen that sumble into the ability to control the elements around them. The sky's the limit :p

Another planet theme could include low gravity - Ability for super human strengths such as jumping or moving large objects. To the locals, this would be normal but to players they would be amazed.

This would also explain flying/gliding, Individuals who control wind can allow themselves to remain in the sky on the low-gravity planet, (Not much wind would be required to fly, wind could be a scarce resource on this planet).

Im giving myself ideas for my mmorpg im working on ;) heh.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  12. antonweatherly

antonweatherly

I've de iced I'm gomna rethink the story now rather than later seeing as you guys feel it is an immediate issue. Thanks for the ideas and such, I had a few of my own which I am gonna use but thanks anyway.

13. ObsoleteAccount

ObsoleteAccount

Really you don't have to change any key concepts if you don't want to. Warcraft and Starcraft were pretty much rip-offs of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. You just have to change names and maybe some terms. Of course, I think it would be preferable to come up with something wholly original.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013