Search Unity

Zombie Survival Mission - Demo Inside! Looking for Feedback

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by LeakedDave, Jul 27, 2014.

1. LeakedDave

LeakedDave

Time to make my first post on the forums here... Figured I'd make it something worth sharing.

Earlier this week, I came up with an idea for a new game that I plan on launching in August: Zombie Survival Mission. You fight until you die, and your high score is simply the number of zombies that you took out with you.

IMG_1687.png

Zombie Survival Mission is a 2D side scrolling shooter with an endless onslaught of enemies. It comes with one playable character to start, however you can use coins to unlock 3 different character types. It will also launch with 2 levels to choose from, and then additional levels can also be unlocked via coins.

You can obtain coins as item drops from zombies, or you can purchase them as In App Purchases. Zombies also drop ammo, health, and power-ups (Speed, Insta-Kill, Nuke).

The game will be available on the iOS App Store, Mac App Store, Google Play Store, Newgrounds / Albino Blacksheep websites, Windows 8 Store, PlayStation Vita (PSM), and more. I plan on making it completely cross-platform, and I hope to release it by the end of August. I will continue to provide updates throughout the rest of the year.

Here's a WIP screenshot of the Wasteland level -

IMG_9780.png

As you can see, it has the left and right arrows to move, and the crosshair button to shoot.

It also utilizes a "hearts" system for health, similar to The Legend of Zelda series. You can purchase additional hearts using coins to increase your maximum health. Ammo upgrades are also available.

The social aspect of the game would be sharing your high score, in a similar way that players of Flappy Bird would share their scores. There will also be 2 Player online multiplayer in a future update, cross-platform.

Here's another WIP screen shot featuring the Ice Forest level -

IMG_4940.png

You see the default character, Foot Soldier, above. The Foot Soldier character has a 3-Round Burst Assault Rifle. Other playable characters include a Flamethrower, Mini-Gunner, and a Spec Ops Soldier who is equipped with a fully automatic assault rifle and can throw grenades.

There are 4 zombie types. The first zombie type simply approaches the player and deals melee attacks.The second zombie type is just like the first, but faster and stronger. The third zombie type, the Spitter, keeps his distance but spits green projectiles towards the player. The fourth zombie type is the Boomer, which simply approaches the player and explodes on contact, causing maximum damage.

There are a few things missing in these screenshots. The first would be the High Score, which will always be dead center at the top. And then on the top right side there will be two buttons with an Ammo count and a Coins count, both with + buttons to buy more. And lastly, a pause button will be added to the top left corner of the screen.

I hope to make the game as fun as I possibly can. The longer you play, the more types of zombies appear, and the more powerful and numerous they become. You will have to learn to be conservative with your ammo.

Can you survive?

- EDIT -
    8/4/2014

Just wanted to update. Progress is going well, there's even a playable demo live now. Check it out, I would love your feedback! Play the demo at the link below -

Play the Demo today!
    http://www.zombiesurvivalmission.com/

Controls:
    Move - Left and Right Arrows
    Shoot - Z

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. Kazeari

Kazeari

Pretty cool, I like the art work and how clean the interface looks, looking forward to seeing more of this.

3. GeneBox

GeneBox

Looking good, that little dude in the screenshot gives me the contra vibe for some reason.

4. LeakedDave

LeakedDave

Thanks @Kazeari ^_^

Lots of updates including a playable demo coming later today, tons of progress to show.

Here you can see plenty of zombies killing me.. lol. But the ammo and coins on the top right corner are now fully functional. Killing zombies drops ammo / health / coins.

Here's what the high score screen looks like:

5. LeakedDave

LeakedDave

Just wanted to update with a link to the Web Player demo! Check it out!

http://www.zombiesurvivalmission.com/

Controls:
    Move - Left and Right Arrows
    Shoot - Z

Let me know what you think.

6. LeakedDave

LeakedDave

I've decided that I will be adding multiplayer support in a future update down the line. I think this will increase user engagement and add a new social aspect to the game.

I'm also still looking for feedback on the WebPlayer demo live on the website. Are the zombies too strong? Is the item drop logic optimal?

Currently the demo only has 2 zombie types. I will be adding 2 more zombie types in an update later this week.

I've also decided to add Wolves to the game, kind of like Black Ops Zombies. The zombies will stop coming, and then you will hear the howling of wolves. Next thing you know, the wolves are coming at you for about 30 seconds. After killing the last wolves, the zombies return. I think this will compliment the existing playing experience.

7. LeakedDave

LeakedDave

Flamethrower character is done!

IMG_4051.PNG

Will be putting a new build on the website soon.

8. LeakedDave

LeakedDave

9. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

I took a look on your game and it looks good. But I don't like the flamethrower guy because his weapon range is too short :( I think that it makes him worse than the machinegun guy. Have you think about include power ups and/or weapon upgrades?

10. LeakedDave

LeakedDave

I'm going to increase the range of the flamethrower whenever you buy the "Weapon Strength" upgrade, in an update soon. That's a good idea. Thanks for the feedback :)

There's currently an upgrades section where you can buy boosts for characters, and there will be more to come. I'm also going to add more rare drops from the zombies (Insta-Kill, Air Strike, Max Ammo, Speed Boost). All coming in updates. So far it seems like people are liking the game. I think multiplayer will have to happen ^_^

11. Snoozer

Snoozer

Nice grapichs and Control rections!
    From my Point of view it should get more difficult faster. After 300 zombies where not even Close to die once.
    As machinegunner with the upgrades on wasteland. (4 hearts and the rest of the upgrades) .

The first time i play i like to die within 60 seconds :)

12. LeakedDave

LeakedDave

Difficulty is definitely increasing in each update. It's live on Android now which has the latest updates, including Wolves now. I'll be updating the web version soon.