Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Zios] Editor Theme Support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Brad-Smithee, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

Description (What is this?)

Zios Themes provides the Unity Editor with adjustable, hot-swappable GUI themes across all elements using native and custom data formats.
    Reason (Why was it made?)

The system was initially created to provide on-the-fly adjustable styling standards for custom editor windows/inspectors/properties. It was later extended for global editor usage. It's intended to allow users to establish general-purpose aesthetics that are adaptable to needs as well as uniform to their existing development applications.
    Features (What can it do?)
    • Supports swapping of editor themes globally or between individual custom editors.
    • Supports palette (color) adjustment. Palettes are usable between different themes. Alt+F1 and Alt+F2 are hotkeys for previous and next palette.
    • Supports system color usage (select Windows versions only) as well as manual adjustment.
    • Supports forced interval repainting as Responsive UI option to allow for global hover/interaction effects.
    • Supports theme variations and keywords within .unityTheme files.
    • Supports GUIStyle and GUIContent overriding in base skin as well as static style-container instances.
    Approach (How was it done?)

Since the introduction of GUISkin data types (~Unity 2), it's been possible to retrieve and adjust the active GUI.skin for the sake of custom editors. These styles are used for the majority (if not all) of Unity's default immediate-mode-GUI elements. The downside is that many of these core styles are used as independent GUIStyle instances sprinkled through the assembly rather than referenced to the core styles. Below I detail the processes I use to locate, group, localize, and apply these elements as a centralized theme.
    Themes.SaveGUI. Locate and build assets for style/content data.
    • Reflect the entire UnityEditor assembly for common style/content storage classes. I've found that these are generally stored in Styles, styles, s_GOStyles, s_Current, s_Styles, m_Styles, ms_Styles, constants, and Constants. As this step needs to manually create instances in some cases (to retrieve default values), it can cause mild error warnings. You'll want to change your editor layout (top-right) after running to prevent render issues upon restart.
    • Dump all GUIStyle fields to their own path-named .guiSkin file as customStyles. Styles are labeled by variable name (with the base style in brackets).
    • Dump all GUIContent and GUIContent[] to a path-named .guiContent file. Contents are labeled by variable name. Currently, this step also will dump GUIContent assets to a respective GUIContent subfolder. This process will likely be offset to Themes.SaveAssets in the future.
    Themes.SaveAssets. Create assets used by GUISkin.
    • Scan folder for GUISkin files. Save background images and fonts. A "Background" and "Font" folder are created in the path specified.
    Themes.LocalizeAssets. Reference created assets.
    • Scan folder for GUISkin files. Override internal/existing background/font references with any name-matched local files from the Themes.SaveAssets step.
    Themes.Apply. Load created style/content data.
    • Reflectively apply each saved guiSkin at their supplied fully qualified paths by either overriding or modifying their contents inline.
    • Overriding with a reference to the new GUIStyle is generally the better option. This greatly aids in realtime editing of GUISkin files for interface artists; however, due to some anomalies with load/refresh order when changing skins, inline loading is set by default for general use. Reference/Inline usage for GUIStyles can be toggled via `+2.
    • Each skin is applied by its variable name (rather than order) to give a modicum of cross-version compatibility without requiring specialized skin files for each. If a variable from a newer version is used with an older version of Unity where it does not exist, it will simply be ignored. In the event of missing variables (from newer Unity versions), the system will still load what is available, but new GUIskin/GUIStyle files will need to be built to accommodate the new style fields.
    • Some internal visual elements rely on defined colors, initialization calls/flags, and specialized styles. These are set manually during the Apply process. Manual style overriding is done to combat extreme cases, such as PreferencesWindow.sectionHeader, where the instanced GUIStyle is modified inline with local changes in code after being initialized.
    Themes.RebuildData. Flush style data.
    • Due to the nature of instanced GUIStyles from the core GUI.skin, adjustments to the core typically require rebuilding of style caches for the local values to inherit properly.

Creation (How do you create a theme?)

Each theme is comprised of a .unityTheme configuration file, .guiSkin for adjusting builtin immediate-mode GUI styles, and .guiContent files for adjusting non-style editor graphics. Additionally, .unityPalette files may be used by any theme for unified color applications. Although building themes by using only instanced GUIStyles will offer the most per-element customization, using the core skin (to some degree) is recommended. From the @Default folder, it is recommended that @Default.guiskin (rename to your theme name) and UnityEditor.EditorStyles.s_Current.guiSkin (EditorStyles) are copied to get started.
    Themes (.unityTheme)

Each item of this configuration is parsed/distinguished by newlines. Style variants are marked by text enclosed in brackets []. Variants marked with a + at the start of their name are applied as toggles in the preference window. The first variant is used as the base theme. Usable keywords for variants are as follows :
    • AllowCustomization : Toggle the user's options for any customization.
    • AllowColorCustomization : Toggle the user's option for palettes and colors.
    • AllowSystemColor : Toggle the user's option to use their system's color for palettes.
    • UseSystemColor : Set the default state for using the system color. When this option is on, dark and light offsets are automatically calculated at a multiplicative value of 0.8 and 1.3 intensity respectively.
    • UseColorAssets : Toggle whether color textures need to be generated/maintained.
    • WindowBackgroundOverride : Define a texture by name to be used for window background overlays.
    • Palette : Set the default palette (by name) to be used.
    Palettes (.unityPalette)

Each item of this configuration is parsed/distinguished by newlines. Each color is defined by a 6 digit (RGB) or 8 digit (RGBA) hex value or comma delimited decimal color (normalized if decimal points used). This file type defines important colors used by your theme. When UseColorAssets is enabled by a theme, a 1x1 solid texture as well as a 9x9 border texture is generated and updated per color for use in your theme's GUIStyle backgrounds. Besides texture usage, the color definitions below alter the following :

Color : Background used by windows.
    LightColor : Cursor and curve property background.
    DarkColor : Selected text and curve property foreground.
    GUIContent (.guiContent)

Each item of this configuration is parsed/distinguished by newlines. The name of each .guiContent file should be a fully qualified namespace. This can be manually defined, but will often be generated by the Themes.SaveGUI reflection scan. Each file contains serialized definitions of GUIContent separated by bracket-enclosed [] field names. Each field has the following keywords available :

text: String value used for the element (if any).
    tooltip: Text that will display after hovering for some time.
    image: Name of texture to use. The theme's local GUIContent sub-folder will be searched for matching png files of the name chosen.
    Skins (.guiSkin)

The name of each .guiSkin file should be a fully qualified namespace. This can be manually defined, but will often be generated by the Themes.SaveGUI reflection scan. These are normal Unity guiSkin files that can be edited natively. The main editor skin file will use the same name as your .unityTheme file. Only the main skin file will use the basic GUIStyles (box, button, etc.). All other skin files rely only on the GUIStyles defined in customStyles.​

Future (What features are planned?)
    • Additional interfaces/references for developers to unify their custom editor's styles.
    • Extension of color system to support user-defined names/values.
    • Support Linux/MacOS for useSystemColor field.
    • Support for quick overriding and adjustment of font family/sizes and text colors used by a theme.
    • Option to automatically inverse text colors for elements on backdrops with similar brightness.
    • Custom .guiContent editor/inspector for in-editor tweaking.
    • Custom .guiSkin editor with search and group replacement functionality.
    • Build foundation default skin reference files from all classes containing GUIStyle & GUIContent rather than just known style containers.
    • Allow Texture2D elements (such as the build window's platform icons) to be collected and replaced
    Limitations (What cannot be done with themes?)

One of the biggest limiting factor of themes is caused by Unity's hard-coded (constant) vertical-spacing value of 16. Due to this, it's very difficult to create a theme that can use larger fonts or pad out with breathing room. While styles do have exposed parameters for margins/padding, these are used rarely in full degree by Unity.
    One solution I briefly explored was using a base custom property drawer globally to inject spacing on all elements via an offset to the GetPropertyHeight method. While this worked for most components in the inspector, it proved somewhat limited since custom editors as well as many of Unity's internal editors/inspectors did not correctly not apply its effects -- breaking uniformity benefits.

Additionally, unlike IDEs such as Visual Studio, the main window decorator (application titlebar) along with the system menu bar are currently not tweakable.
    I've ran a few traces internally with ILspy with the [MenuItem] attribute as a starting point, but these mostly have just led to internal calls -- meaning configuration data concerning these two aspects is locked down at a program level until Unity exposes them.

Compatibility (What environments will it function with?)

Although the system's premise could theoretically function as far back as Unity 2/3, many of the internal extensions used limit this due to their reliance on modern usage patterns. Currently, the system has been built and tested on Unity 5.0 through 5.4b21 on Windows/Mac. Back-porting to Unity 4 (or earlier) will require adjustments to account for Unity's internal functions changing significantly between major versions.
    Issues (What problems are known?)

Bugs should be discussed/reported on the public repository's issue tracker.
    Issues with unstyled or incorrectly styled elements usually relate to the theme itself rather than the system. Bear in mind that there are 508 main GUIStyles (as of Unity 5.4b21) with 8 states each that have to be examined and altered. It's very difficult to assign a style if you cannot preview the scenarios where it's used, but this is compounded by sluggish editor inspector performance on large GUISkin as well as many styles having locally instanced overrides to account for.

Download (Where can I obtain it?)

You can obtain the latest release from here. It includes a pre-built x64 dll for Unity 5, several palettes, and one (work-in-progress) example theme titled Simplicity. The source code is also available for usage/extension/contribution under an MIT license.
    Usage (How do you use it?)

Extract the zip file to your project's Assets folder. Configure at Edit > Preferences > Themes.
    Contact (How can I reach you?)

If you'd like to make a direct inquiry regarding my work or if you just want a friendly conversation, you can find me idling in the Game Dev League Discord server under the alias Bradical. Failing that, I'm also reachable via email at bradsmithee@gmail.com or (infrequently) on these boards. I'll also accept email invites to idle in developer Slack servers.
    Preview (What does it look like?)

Visual Studio next to Unity Editor.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Thats awesome!
    But prepare for takesown in 3, 2, 1...

3. movra

movra

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  4. MDaveUK

MDaveUK

Excellent documentation.

Unity should have offered something like this, at this level of customization at least for Plus and Pro versions. But all this time, it was actually possible to. That is quite a deep rabbit hole you went down into to bring this out for everyone.

ModLunar, Eggpunk and movra like this.
  5. TheBlackBox

TheBlackBox

This is amazing - holy smokes...

Round of applause to you, sir.

ModLunar, SememeS and Eggpunk like this.
  6. iamsam

iamsam

Outstanding work, this should have been included with Unity :). The themes do not seem to apply to the console window and to the second column of the "Project" window (if you choose the two column layout). Also could you and anyone here good with GUIs show how to create these themes?

ModLunar likes this.
  7. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

It should work in both of these cases. What version of Unity and the theme system are you running? Can you provide steps for recreating the areas that aren't loading? In the meantime, Try hitting `+1 (Manual Refresh). Failing that, restarting Unity should apply things correctly.

I touched up on it in the "Creations" section of my main post, but I'll see about creating a video primer on theme editing.

8. iamsam

iamsam

I am using 5.3.5p3. I dragged the Zios Themes 485 package in the assets folder and selected the Simplicity them with the elegance palette. Tried restarting, but it remains the same (only the above two mentioned areas are the default color, rest of them change and look great).

Sounds great! Will try to modify the Simplicity GUI skin and see if I can figure out how to do this :). Thanks again for the themes.

9. Quis

Quis

Great stuff!

To the other comments talking about "Unity should have implemented this themselves". I rather have them fixing bugs than focusing on cosmetics.

10. MDaveUK

MDaveUK

Of course we all would rather have them do that, but we would never have any new features since 1.0 if the only thing all the Unity programmers were told to do were fixing bugs.

joshcamas likes this.
  11. movra

movra

I doubt it would have been a significant setback to the bug fix schedule. Unity has over 1000 employees. It only took 1 person to implement custom theming. Let's not forget it was a business decision to have a grey skin for the plebs and a dark skin for the elite.

ModLunar and Meltdown like this.
  12. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

Let me be clear here that my intention has nothing to do with Unity default personal/pro skins. This addon (and its example color-neutral theme) is about providing users and editor extension creators a singular, standard foundation for elements -- without forcing them to cater to an individual's local environment settings. It is also a means to keep a user's entire development toolkit visually uniform. These are not features provided by any version of Unity.

To my knowledge this addon doesn't violate the EULA, forum rules, or have any legal complications. I do not modify the binary/unity files or provide any assets from the pro version. It's all being done with managed code within the editor using basic C# reflection -- approaches that I actually picked up from Unite conference presentations.

Additionally, keep in mind that (for the time being) creating a skin is a fairly daunting, time-consuming task full of tedium and trial/error -- even with all of the systems/mechanism I have in place. 70% of my development time was spent figuring out which styles were used in which context so I could assemble the current example theme. As of right now, I've not reworked every default style (yet). If your needs don't extend to unifying your custom editors or if you demand a fully complete/polished, soft-gradient environment, Unity's existing offerings might serve a better fit.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    SememeS likes this.
  13. movra

movra

Sure, but from Unity's point of view, after the Pro features were integrated into the Personal edition, the dark skin was one of the few things they had left to offer Pro users over the Personal edition. As a sorry owner of a Pro license it's funny/bittersweet to see this pretty petty perk more or less rendered moot now. Indeed the last few days Unity's refusal to relieve free users' eye strain has been a major point of contention. Had your solution arrived a few days earlier it might have given us all more leverage against Unity's new pricing.

Kinda joking here, but who knows?

14. eskovas

eskovas

Really nice work here :)
    Many options are always better than two or no option!

For some reason i really like the squared Win10 type theme on Unity editor you have there. Looks nice.

15. Nition

Nition

This is some absolutely pro work considering how much you've had to dig into the engine to find all those GUI references. The fact that you've released this for free when you could have put it behind a paywall on the Asset Store is a great service to the Unity community. Well done!

SememeS likes this.
  16. LightStriker

LightStriker

And lot of other thing - like serialization - instead of tweaking visual stuff.

17. McVitty

McVitty

Hi. This is a great plugin, however it is constantly taking input from my number keys 1 through 3 and using them as hotkeys. Is there any way to disable this?

darkhog likes this.
  18. AwesomeX

AwesomeX

This is really, really cool. :eek:

Unity needs to implement this. This is something we should have had a "long" time ago.

Will there be any support for icons? Such as folders?

deus0 likes this.
  19. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

I'll need to track down the internal field that manages them, but I don't see why not. In the meantime, you could use PhannGor's RainbowFolders addon.

There was a bug with the assigned hotkeys. This should be fixed if you pull the latest the GIT version. Here's a quick patched dll. There should be another release in a few days that addresses this and some other known bugs.

Attached Files:

McVitty likes this.
  20. darkhog

darkhog

The only thing Unity will implement is a fix for this "loophole" so people can't get dark theme for free.

21. Gigante

Gigante

I get a bunch of Value out of range errors when I try yo use it :(

22. AwesomeX

AwesomeX

Can't wait for the outrage that would spark, hah.

23. movra

movra

AwesomeX likes this.
  24. iamsam

iamsam

Did anyone get this working on a mac? I get the "No .unityTheme files found" error.

25. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

Using the provided dll? What OS and what version of Unity? Does this occur in an empty project? Can you pastie the error logs?

Were both the dll and theme assets in your Assets folder? It's been confirmed functional on both Mac and Linux platforms, but I'll try to have one of the users who reported success get back to you.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  26. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Hey Brad! I lead the Editor Team here at Unity and I wanted to say that I'm super impressed with the work you did here. It's been on my personal wish list for quite some time to support this on a more official scale. Though, as many people in the forum thread already mention, right now we need to focus more on stability than aesthetics. I'm happy to see that someone from the community has managed to figure out the nuances of skinning the editor.

I'm curious if there's anything specific that's holding back the extension right now? I'm wondering if there's any specific low-hanging fruit that we can either fix or expose that would make your life easier.

You mentioned the hard coded 16 pixels line height. I'm hoping to move away from the assumption of that line height in the future, either exposing it through some property or with some specific style. Unfortunately, right now we need to force a constant line height for performance reasons (mostly for the inspector). However, as long as that height is constant, it can be whatever.

27. TheRobWatling

TheRobWatling

Perfect show of a fantastic developer right here :D

EDIT: Just wanted to make a Note for Brad, the zip download from this page leads to a unfound project on Github.

ModLunar likes this.
  28. arkon

arkon

??? It seems you are in support of this theme editor. Can we have an official UT response as to whether its ok to use this or not. Doesn't this also get rid of the nonsense of having the dark skin behind a paywall?

angrypenguin likes this.
  29. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Of course I'm in support of the editor being theme-able. :)

I am just a developer though, not a business/legal person. As a layman, I don't see anything being violated in the current EULA. I'll see what I can do about getting that confirmed by someone with a bit more expertise of our EULA. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if we will iterate on our EULA to make it more clear (not sure what that iteration would look like).

30. JadenKorn

JadenKorn

Yes. A project developer here, it works identically on Mac OS X build as it does on the Windows one. What version of Mac OS X are you running it on and which version of Unity it is?

A new release is coming soon, but in the meantime the latest changes are already committed and pushed. and can be cloned/updated. Due to some rather major modifications the plugin is split into two, editor and standalone/engine.

It can be set up just like in the screenshot below, Themes be placed anywhere, so can the ZiosThemes.dll file, however ZiosThemesEditor.dll goes inside an Editor folder. Hopefully this fixes the issues, if not then post a reply, I'll look into it as soon as possible.

Edit: The new release is also out in a packaged form, try that one out if you can.

Attached Files:

31. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

Sorry about the delays in responses. I didn't realize the forums were sensitive to VPN usage. As a result, my last few edits were cryptically declined and posts I've made responding to several of you are currently in limbo "awaiting moderator approval". (Resolved now)

Fixed. I'm a bit new to GitHub/GIT, so you'll have to excuse me if there's a slew of early misuses.

I very much appreciate the kind words, Shawn! I haven't quite nailed a 100% completion theme just yet (as it's often tedious to track some elements), but the general idea for system support and rough features do exist.

I will definitely get back to you on this in more detail.

Glad to hear you feel this way. I've tried to be as transparent about this addon as possible -- from detailed descriptions of the approaches used to providing the source code itself. Besides a potential future EULA revision (which might be tricky given that limiting partial/whole reflection could break a lot of assets/scripts/techniques), the easiest patch would be to internalize some of the values/methods I rely on. Nothing slowed me down more than running a method trace by hand and hitting a brick wall with an internal call.

SememeS likes this.
  32. LightStriker

LightStriker

I think he mentioned that some EditorWindows create and store their own GUIStyle on the fly, making it impossible to access. I know, some of my EditorWindows does it too, since there is no central place to put or retrieve them.

Maybe having a central Dictionary that stores all the active GUIStyle could be useful to access all of them.

33. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

In my ideal world. Unity's editor windows would not create their own styles (or modify existing ones). They should all exist in the Editor's GUISkin. We're working towards making this a reality, but it's slow progress. The biggest reason that our EditorWindows do their own thing is because it's easier for developers to just create a style by code that does exactly what they want, rather than creating a new guistyle in the editor resources binary that Unity loads when it starts.

34. LightStriker

LightStriker

Crazy idea... How come the editor resources binary is not a separated managed DLL? Is there any advantage - beside obfuscation - that it's native? All my editor bitmap are in a .NET DLL, so I can change them on the fly.

35. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

There's no code in it. It's a custom purpose (i.e. hacked together) asset bundle that contains GUISkins, Shaders, Textures, etc.. used exclusively by the editor.

36. iamsam

iamsam

Thanks for looking into this. I am still getting the same error with the new release on Github (r487). I am on OSX 10.11.5 and using 5.3.5f1.

37. LightStriker

LightStriker

There's no code in my resource DLL ether... Only resources. Well, there's a few lines.

My point was, we don't have access to any of this, right? And it's not a separated file we can easily switch, rebuild or replace?

38. darkhog

darkhog

Can you make a tutorial on how to create a custom theme that can be recolored? I don't like the look of Simplicity as it is unreadable for me (have hard time seeing whether toggle is on or off or what tab is selected), I'd like something closer to default that can be recolored.

39. MDaveUK

MDaveUK

Go to Edit > Preferences > Themes and you can change the theme and colour palette there.

The files for icons an buttons and such are in @Zios/Interface/Skins

Default theme template is in the first post attachment.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    SememeS likes this.
  40. JadenKorn

JadenKorn

That's indeed rather strange and totally unfortunate. I've installed the stable 5.3.5f1 build myself, created an empty project and placed the r487's release files into it and it loaded it all correctly. Do the *.unityTheme files exist once you copy/extract them into your project? Are they visible both on the Finder and inside Unity?

There's one scenario I can think of why it wouldn't work, which would be a filesystem related one, more specifically case sensitive/insensitive based one. From what I know HFS+ can be of both case insensitive and sensitive one, the former being largely unsupported?

Attached Files:

41. darkhog

darkhog

Yes, I know that. However, the only theme that is colorable is Simplicity one which, despite its name, is anything but simple. Is virtually unreadable to me. Default theme, on the other hand, can't be colored.

42. iamsam

iamsam

The files are visible both in the Finder and inside Unity, not sure why the plugin does not detect them :(.

I checked the filesystem and its not case sensitive, so might be something else. I do have FileVault enabled, not sure if that would cause the issue.

43. iamsam

iamsam

Quick update, everything is working now, it was probably related to a problem with Unity installation. I removed Unity completely along with any related files and reinstalled and no more errors :).

The only thing I would like to change is the font/color value of text in Hierarchy while renaming GOs.. I could change the background by changing it in preferences but that changed a lot of other elements. Can I individually tweak these values?

44. Zajoman

Zajoman

Dude! This is a piece of art! Thank you so much :D

45. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

This is awesome! Are you planning to release this on the Asset Store at some point?

ChrisSch likes this.
  46. Brad-Smithee

Brad-Smithee

I'll try to make a simple video this weekend running through the basics of editing.

In what ways you feel I could improve Simplicity? I realize that many of its styles do not have focus and active states, but how do you feel "toggle" could be improved in a manner without introducing color? It currently goes between an empty box and a checked one. I could set the checkmark against a drop shadow or outline, but that doesn't currently match the solid-fill-only motif.

I do have plans to eventually make a more contrasted gradient-based theme as well as a "glass" one -- assuming I'm not beat to the punch by savvy users, of course.

That's one of a few unassigned styles that I need to track down still yet.

Generally, yes. As I mentioned in my introduction post, adjusting the core GUI.skin / EditorSkin.Inspector does allow you trickle-down changes broadly, but if you need individual fine-tuned control, you'll have to locate the scope where the style is instanced and adjust that style independently. I'll try to cover the basic concept of this in my video.

I'd need read up on the asset store requirements more extensively to fix up a few things to Unity's standards, but sure.

Shushustorm likes this.
  47. darkhog

darkhog

No, I wasn't talking about checkboxes, was talking about toggles in scene/game view "Maximize on Play", "Gizmos", etc. Tabs are hard to decipher which one is currently selected as well.

Also I take a great issue with the font used in Simplicity. It feels like the editor is constantly yelling at me. Would prefer it to be simple plain old Arial.

48. JCorvinus

JCorvinus

Just a heads up - I get a pretty consistent null reference error on any scene with a NetworkManager component in it on Unity 5.4.0b20. It does not happen on Unity 5.3.2f1. The error occurs upon entering play mode.

Here's the full output:

49. Acissathar

Acissathar

I don't think it is just because of a NetworkManager component. I have been getting this error pretty consistently in both B21 and B22, but it seems related to entering Play Mode while a GameObject is selected in the Heirarchy.

If I have the Hierarchy tab hidden (I have it sharing a space with my Console for example) then I don't get the error when entering Play Mode.

For what it's worth though, putting Zios into just an empty project and doing the above isn't causing the error.

50. daville

daville

Bshsf_9527 and Ruchir like this.