Search Unity

Zero Gravity - Unity 5 PBR Scene

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Deleted User, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Now that Unity 5 is out I decided to fully port my PBR scene called "Zer0 Gravity". I´m really impressed how good Unity 5 is. I made this scene first in Marmoset Toolbag 2, then with Unity 4.5 few months ago and it only took a day to port it to U5 with all the physically-based rendering elements. New lighting system is really good and the most important part is that the scene runs much more smoothly in U5 and it looks so much better than in U4.5/4.6.

It´s so nice that the technology allow us to do things more accurate and that also makes things much easier in many place. When you do things right in one engine then the results are going to be pretty similar in other engines that supports it. It doesn´t mean that we as artists are losing our control over artistic things. It means that now we have a common language that makes the results looks even better. Even Disney/Pixar uses PBR for their stylized looking animations.

I think this scene is going to be epic VR experience or a place for horror space game. It´s very modular like the real space station so it could be a nice place for some sort of astronault simulator game too. That´s why I put it to asset store. It could also be good for people who wants to learn more about PBR/PBS and test different Unity 5 features. Here is the link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/25579 full Unity 5 support!

Here is a video that I captured with my 6 years old pc (Ati 4870 512mt & E8500 Dual core, 8gig DDR2) using Fraps so it will be MUCH smoother with a decent machine without Fraps.

I think there are way too few good zero gravity games out there. There is a huge potential in that genre and now that the virtual reality is so close to becoming a next big thing in gaming.

Thanks Unity for making this awesome engine!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
    Meltdown, NomadKing, Karearea and 7 others like this.
  2. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Wow, can't wait to play with Oculus!

Deleted User likes this.
  3. Pulov

Pulov

Looks really good.

Deleted User likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks all! Glad to hear that you like it!

5. Zeblote

Zeblote

This needs to become a full zero gravity puzzle game in that space station. :D

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

That would be so awesome! Now if I only know how to code :)

7. XCO

XCO

Lovely :)

Deleted User likes this.
  8. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

Impressive stuff, great work!

Deleted User likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks all!

10. Dizzy-Games

Dizzy-Games

Wow impressive work, this would be spectacular in VR

Deleted User likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I haven´t tested it yet in VR but I would imagine that it would be very powerful experience. I would love to hear if someone tried it yet with Oculus :)

12. Darkays

Darkays

Looks gorgeous! Very impressed!

I have to agree with you, it is wonderful to see engines become easier to use and more powerful. Not only that but have all of this for free! That is mind blowing. Unity 5 personal edition looks more and more like Unity 4 Pro the more I play with it; and then you add in all of the extra features that comes with Unity 5... It simply is phenomenal.

Again, this scene looks stunning. Well done, I particularly like all of the small details that you added to the ship which helps promote exploring it. I would have to agree with @Dizzy-Games this would look great with a VR headset. I'm interested in how people will use this in their projects.

Well done!

Deleted User likes this.
  13. Iwa

Iwa

Totally gorgeous! This is totally awesome, could we have a before/after comparison? It could be wonderful in Occulus, I would love to try this, this could be really immersive experience

Deleted User likes this.
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks all for the kind words! I want to do more stuff like this in the future. It´s very interesting subject to learn more.

Here is some shots from the Unity 4.5 with the same scene:

It was very hard to make good looking lighting that was light enough and the default shaders didn´t work well with the PBR textures. The difference is pretty brutal between these and the U5 shots.

15. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I know that art is one of those "beauty is in the eye of the holder" things but honestly I think the Unity 4.5 screenshots look significantly better than the Unity 5 screenshots. They actually have a sort of fine painterly quality to them.

16. luisrobles

luisrobles

Great work!! looks sweet!!

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks! I agree with you that the Unity 4.5 shots are looking some how stylized but I prefer the U5 because it´s much more natural and the materials are more accurate. You can find shots from Marmoset Toolbag 2 here: http://kimmokaunela.esy.es/zero.html

18. mathias234

mathias234

I think the U5 would look better with less post processing effects

Deleted User likes this.
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User

You might be right about those post effects. Now that the free version allows to add those I went maybe too far. That blur is something I like but some hate it so much :)

Yeah and I forgot to post the making of that can be found here: http://kimmokaunela.esy.es/lfi02.html Maybe you can find it useful.

20. XboxOne4Lyfe

XboxOne4Lyfe

This looks fantastic, it almost looks like it was made using UE4. My question is, would you rather choose to play around in this level made using Unity4.5 or Unity5? Some people have said upgrading to Unity5 makes things slower and worse, I am very curious about this.

Regardless, i'll definitley be following this thread! Good work!

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks, I think it´s much faster to work with Unity 5 than it was with 4.5. 4.6 added some cool features and Unity 5 pretty much feels like that but somehow faster. New lighting system also makes things much faster to set up so overall I would say Unity 5 is the best so far in quality and speed.

I started one project with Unity 4.6 and then tried to port that into Unity 5 and that caused almost every plug-in and shader to break. That will definitely make your work slower because you need to fix things and so on but if you start from the clean table then it´s pretty fast.

22. Iwa

Iwa

The difference between Unity 4.5 and Unity 5 is just obvious! I love the blur effect because I totally agree that it makes the scene pretty much natural and close to reality. Really good job! It's just giving me many ideas to get back to 3D creation.

23. XboxOne4Lyfe

XboxOne4Lyfe

Ah I see, I have both Unity 4.6 and 5 and I had the same thing happen to me. I ported a completed 4.6 project into Unity5 and the project was completely broken in Unity5. So you recommend only using Unity5 from scratch? I might actually stick with 4.6 anyway because I have the T4M plugin which is not yet compatible with Unity5. The only value I see in Unity5 anyway are the new particle and camera effects, which I already imported back into Unity4.6. Thanks for the notes Kimmo!

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

25. Cascho01

Cascho01

I bought the package, very nice!
    Would like to know how many hours the artist spent to draw and assign all the maps....
    The only thing is that overlit specular pixels tend to flicker.
    Here´s an Oculus Rift & Spacenavigator compatible executable.
    Navigating with the spacenavigator is much more fun (although rotation not set up correctly).
    Unfortunately I had to delete all posteffects, because they produce a black screen.
    The executable is done with the Rift package since the current Unity implementation is too buggy.
    Tested with Rift DK1.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    SAOTA likes this.
  26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks!, It took around 3 months to built it. A lot of planning and testing.

Are you using linear and deferred rendering? I need to look into that flickering problem.

27. Cascho01

Cascho01

28. kikatok

kikatok

29. CurtisMcGill

CurtisMcGill

I just got my Oculus Rift DK2 package today and this package is awesome Unity 5 and DK2.

FULL EFFECTS!

I took some screenshots of a special build of the demo running on my system. Set DSR to a 4x factor, which let me run 5120x2880 resolution, then down sampled it to 2560x1440. Injected FXAA, MFAA 8x, and 8x Super-sampling transparency AA through the driver. Looks pretty nice, and the jagged edges disappear.

Have a looksee... (CLICK to see fullsize!)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    NomadKing and JDMulti like this.
  30. JDMulti

JDMulti

Awesome to see the Oculus Rift version, really cool. Could you use all the building Unity 5 image effects or did you need to use 3rd party image effect to work with the VR view? Did you also use free image effects?

Maybe a little comment, why not make it possible to look trough the window into outer space. So you can see Earth and the spacestation rotates around it. Then this would be an awesome demo perfectly for the U5 gallery. =D

31. CurtisMcGill

CurtisMcGill

For the Oculus Rift DK2 version, I just bought kimmo.kaunela's Space Station and added Oculus' prefab camera package. Did some tweaking to the speeds/controls and posted it.

The Image effects are the ones that kimmo, included in the Space Station package. I did not change or update the effects. I am sure kimmo, could go into more detail, but they are custom effects he created.

It would be easy to add the earth, that would be for kimmo or someone else to do. The locations where you could put a 'window' are reflective surfaces. It would not be the version that kimmo is selling.

32. Meltdown

Meltdown

Nice work!

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nice shots CurtisMcGill! I really need to get Oculus Rift to test it :)

I was planning to make the outer space but it´s not that trivial thing to do it right. I need to test some things and hopefully update the package when I got good results.

And yes the image effects are the same that Unity 5 ships with. I just played with them to get the results that I wanted.

34. PeterHann

PeterHann

Great Job on the asset - really! Would love to have a peek at your Post FX stack on the U5 Scene if you willing to share :)

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks! I don´t know what is the best way to show it but here is a shot of what I used.

PeterHann likes this.
  36. PeterHann

PeterHann

Thank You :)

37. tani41

tani41

How to Create a Space Environment where objects are just flying Randomly but in a specific area where they found gravity if they come in range of that area they just sucked inside that area?