Search Unity

Zenzizenzic on Kickstarter Greenlight - Would love your support and feedback!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Zenzizenzic, May 6, 2014.

1. Zenzizenzic

Zenzizenzic

The Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight campaigns for Zenzizenzic are as of now live!

You'll find lots of cool stuff there, like a new trailer, beta download, exciting plans, awesome rewards and tiers and if you're quick at it you'll be able to grab the early access reward!

So check it out and if you like what you see, every bit of support would be hugely appreciated. If you have feedback, I would especially love to hear it.

Here's a bit of info about the game:
    Thank you kindly for your time,
    Ruud Koorevaar

2. Zenzizenzic

Zenzizenzic

Sharing a quick update!

To start it off, the first 50 backer exclusive full beta access rewards (how's that for adjectives) on Kickstarter were handed out in just a few days! We can't have that, so I threw my hands up in the air, said "screw it!", went over to edit the Kickstarter page and changed the 50 to 80. You lovely folks who decide to back Zenzizenzic deserve nothing less!

So all in all, the past couple of days have been good! Here are few snippets of some awesome articles that popped up this week:

"Zenzizenzic can be favorably compared to Geometry Wars, with it’s excellent, minimal art style, high difficulty and precise gameplay. Highly recommend, it’s so damn pretty!" - Alpha Beta Gamer

"Can the world handle it? No. Absolutely not. It’s crazy. If you like crazy, however, you should check it out." - Cliqist

It seems like "crazy" is a fairly common word to describe the game, as Kotaku also states in a short:

"Announcing a new contender in the category of games with names that are difficult to pronounce, Zenzizenzic is a old-school bullet-hell style shmup that looks about as crazy as a game with that name should." - Kotaku

Crazy it is I guess! As Kaiochi in the comments at the Kotaku article says in the response to the image below:

"what the fuuuuuck is goooing onnnnn?"

Well, you know, it's just bullets and stuff and dodging enemies and things, right?

Also, last night Bestio (Twitter) streamed a bit of Zenzizenzic on his Twitch channel. If you want to see some more bits of gameplay, go check it out! And if anyone wants to stream the game, give me a shout (Twitter), I'll be sure to hang out in the chat and answer any and all questions.

Thanks for the support again!

Cheers, Ruud

3. Zenzizenzic

Zenzizenzic

The first week is over! Happy to share that we reached 50%, passing the €1000 euro mark on the Kickstarter. There is still a ways to go, but I'd say we are on the right track!

Promotion on the game could still use a boost, so I started this initiative on the Steam Greenlight page to look for YouTubers / Twitch streamers who would be interested in playing and showing the game. Those who do will receive full beta access, and those who recommend channels will have a chance on receiving access as well. Please check it out, and if you got something to add, let me know!

Also, winners of the Steam Greenlight contest have been contacted by friends request on Steam!

Feedback on the game has been great overall. So thank you to everyone who contributed. Most notable of what I picked up and look to improve is the menu interface and 'juiciness' of in-game feedback. The menu could be a bit less clustered with stuff, so streamlining it would be a good idea. The feedback such as hitting enemies with bullets or getting hit yourself needs to be more impactful. I also want to more strongly enforce feedback on aspects such as when the player has no energy or when a boss enters the fray. A general larger amount of oomph-ness (that's a thing) will make the game feel more richer and solid and is definitely something to strive for.

So, on to week 2! Let's make it a good one!

Cheers, Ruud

4. Zenzizenzic

Zenzizenzic

Every Thursday during the Kickstarter campaign I will share a gameplay video of a level (level 1 up to 4, level 5 will remain hidden!) and share some of the things you may encounter in that level.

This week level 2, where things get a little bit more heated as enemies actively work on making survival quite the challenge! Do note that if you do not want to get spoiled on the gameplay, then do not watch the video.

Check it out over here!

Level 2 was the level where it all started with! The enemies you see in this level are actually the enemies with which I learned a lot of basic coding bits and bobs with, such as target following and movement patterns. A lot of time was invested in this stage of development to finds ways to create interesting and effective patterns and it was probably also the most important stage.

This level was actually scrapped completely at one point and rebuilt from the ground up. While building the other levels I kept on learning about ways to make the gameplay more and more exciting. Naturally, this old level started to fall behind the others and the best way to bring it up to par was to completely redo it. A tough decision, since it feels like a step backwards, but in the end most definitely worth it!

That decision of scrapping and rebuilding was in general an important method of working during the development of Zenzizenzic. When you're quickly learning new things and you want the quality of the project to be at a stable level, it is damaging to the project in the long run if there are still, for example, old and archaic snippets of code in there. Starting from a clean slate may feel like "Oh S***, what the hell am I doing, this is going to take forever?!", but again, in the long run it will be worth it.

Also, we reached the €1300 mark on the Kickstarter! Getting closer!

5. Zenzizenzic

Zenzizenzic

Week 3 is past and we're steadily heading towards that €2000 goal on the Zenzizenzic Kickstarter!

Week 1 got us to 50% (amazing!), week 2 to 70% and week 3 almost to 90%. I'm quite happy that we were able to carry over the progress from week 2 to week 3 and I'm sure we will be able to get a good run this final week!

As usual, expect a gameplay video this Thursday, covering some of the intricacies of level 4, and possibly some cool and exciting updates in between then and now and after.

And don't forget about the Steam Greenlight campaign! If we could get Zenzizenzic on Steam it would mean the world.

So again, thank you for the support and if you might know someone who would enjoy Zenzizenzic, spreading the word really does help a lot. Let's try to get to €2000 this week!

Cheers,
    Ruud

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  6. Zenzizenzic

Zenzizenzic

Zenzizenzic got funded on Kickstarter! It is done! We made it! But there are still a couple of days left on the clock with a bunch of stretch goals left to reach, so we ain't done just yet!

Also, you can now support the Kickstarter by PayPal! All the proceeds will go towards funding the stretch goals of the Kickstarter. For more info, please head on over to: zenzizenzicgame.com.

Remember that Zenzizenzic is also on Greenlight, and the support there would be hugely appreciated. It just takes a vote, nothing more, easy like that!

And finally, a new gameplay video for level 4 is up! If you'd like to see a bit about what Zenzizenzic's level 4 is about, you can check that over here: Zenzizenzic - Gameplay Trailer: Level 4.

Thank you for the support!
    - Ruud, developer of Zenzizenzic

7. Zenzizenzic

Zenzizenzic

Week 4 is gone and over on the Kickstarter, but a good week it was!

We got over 100% funded and we are sitting at a comfortable 135% now, including PayPal proceeds. That puts us past the first stretch goal (Gauntlet mode) and well on the way to the second (new weapon)!

If you aren’t familiar with the principle, the Gauntlet mode is about going through all the levels in a single go, with a single set of lives. Very challenging, but a lot of fun. It will require adjusting a couple of the systems in the game, such as gaining back a life for 500.000 points as that could make things a bit trivial, but I’ll make it a challenge true for any Gauntlet mode!

Just a bit to go now until the Kickstarter is over, 40 hours to be exact. Let’s hope for a good sprint the last bit.

Also, be sure to check Zenzizenzic out on Steam Greenlight and, if possible, drop a vote there, add it to your favorites, leave a comment, anything. Getting the game on Steam would be so damn amazing!

Again, thank you all so much for the support!

Cheers,
    Ruud

8. Zenzizenzic

Zenzizenzic

We did it! The Zenzizenzic Kickstarter is a success! With a final tally of €2763 (including PayPal) of the €2000 goal we quite healthily overshot it, and even grabbing a stretch goal while we were at it!

So I want thank you all greatly for the support and giving me the chance to do this.

The Kickstarter success not only means a success in funding, but it also raises the profile of the game by a lot. This means it will get a lot more attention, and with that new opportunities may arise. So we can fairly safely say that the future of Zenzizenzic is looking bright!

Unfortunately the dream of reaching the €10.000 stretch goal for the standalone expansion Zenzizenzic: Macro was not realized. It was worth the attempt though and I would be a fool to completely drop it. I mentioned in the Kickstarter FAQ that if the stretch goal was not reached that I would not develop Macro. This is mainly because I can't give you any promises on it. However, in reality it is not as hard-lined as that. Even though I can't say when or even if it will be released, I will still work on Macro when I have the chance since I believe in the concept. And those who have pledged for it will be kept in the loop, I won't forget about you!

All the backers have been contacted. And please stay tuned to the story of Zenzizenzic and where it may lead us! Follow me on Twitter or like Zenzizenzic on Facebook to stay in the loop!

Thank you all so much!

Ruud

9. Zenzizenzic

Zenzizenzic

Good news!

Zenzizenzic is going to be published by Adult Swim Games! And this is very, very exciting because we can now do what was not possible before: making Macro, the rogue-like open world variant of Zenzizenzic, a reality. Also, with the support of Adult Swim Games the game will come to Steam.

Macro was a stretch goal during the Kickstarter campaign and unfortunately we did not reach that stretch goal. But! Adult Swim Games saw the potential in Zenzizenzic and Macro after the Kickstarter had successfully attained its core goal and they reached out with an offer to publish Zenzizenzic and Macro! After a bit of back and forth we finalized the deal just last week and we are now already busy working together to bring the game to new heights (such as a Steam release!).

However, Zenzizenzic and Macro will be now combined in a single release aimed at June 2015 next year. There are multiple reasons for this decision, such as to avoid confusion, to prevent doing a double promotional campaign (which would be very costly) and to make a single, very strong release.

It has been quite a journey already, but things are getting more and more exciting still!

Also, I whipped up a newsletter form, for if you want to be sure you stay up to date and also have a chance to get a beta key (the same list is used)!

Again thank you all for the support. Without it Zenzizenzic wouldn't be where it is right now!

NomadKing likes this.
  10. casperjeff

casperjeff

11. Zenzizenzic

Zenzizenzic

Thanks casperjeff!

Quick update! There is a new demo available over at ZenzizenzicGame.com. You can choose between Windows, Mac or Linux, so pick your poison!

Of course, as is with demo’s, it is a limited version. If you want to have a chance to get full beta access, sign up for the newsletter as I will occasionally send out beta keys for the entire game to a random number of newsletter subscribers!

Hope you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,
    Ruud