Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Zen Build - Development Post

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by grigtod, Oct 23, 2014.

?

Do you find this game:

1. Boring

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Relaxing

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. grigtod

grigtod

Hey, I've made this game prototype. I showed it to people and I usually get two types of responses: interesting & boring.
    I would like for this game to be a relaxing experience, but I don't want it to be boring.

Can you please try it out: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxc2hRv1Yzs-SVMydzNveVEzR0U/view
    or at least take a look at the video (it might spoil the puzzles for you):

When I show this to friends I know they might lie, so they don't hurt my feelings. Here I am a stranger and I hope your feedback will be constructive.

Even if you can't find time to comment, please pick a poll option.

If you want to give me your feedback in person or simply want to see how this game evolves you can follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/grigtod

Thank you!

A screenshot:

An image of the level selection menu. Very early wip:

2. NickHaldon

NickHaldon

I definitely like how it looks. I don't have time to try it now but I would love to later. Seems like the perfect thing to just sit and relax after a long day.

Keep up the good work!
    NickHaldon

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I think it's interesting. I don't think I'd pay money for it but one thing I think would make it more interesting is after the things get put together completely it would be cool to see them cycle through several unique animation cycles. That would add to your presentation. Also I didn't see it but if there is a spot to change the music that would be nice. Spa relaxing music, light classical, light orchestral are all nice and relaxing.

Just my opinion though. I like animations. :)

4. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

Hi there,

I took your game for a spin.

this has the potential to be a nice relaxing puzzle game. Don't worry too much about people who aren't interested in the idea because they aren't your audience. But your audience is out there (if it was done right, I'd play it).

Now for some feedback. This isn't really a game, by most definitions of a game. It's not really even a puzzle (it has virtually nothing to 'solve'). It really has no mechanics at all (clicking every single piece is not a mechanic for me). Since there is nothing to solve there is no sense of achievement when the piece is finished.

Given the direction you have taken it so far, I would agree with boring. BUT. There is a lot of potential here for a nice little relaxing zen like puzzle game.

What you might like to do is think about some puzzle mechanics. Read up on what makes a good puzzle. Here is a TED talk by a famous puzzle maker https://www.ted.com/talks/scott_kim_takes_apart_the_art_of_puzzles to help inspire you.

The most simple thing to do would be to mix up the pieces, then have the player select two pieces. They then select a region on each piece to be connected together, and your game either connects them (correct) or not (incorrect).
    There will be many other ways to approach this. That was just my first thoughts.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Great critique R.Lindsay. You made me feel like I shorted the guy. ;)

R-Lindsay likes this.
  6. grigtod

grigtod

Great critique indeed. I truly appreciate your feedback! Gameplay mechanics will be changed for the better.
    Thank you all.

7. grigtod

grigtod

After going through 3 more iterations I can finally show you a video of the new gameplay:

Initially I made it a bit more complex but found that it is very hard to select each individual connector on a tablet, so I decided to go with mahjong like gameplay where you select a piece and then you select another one.
    If you press/tap twice fast you apply force to the piece and deselect any selection. If you select two pieces that does not fit they bump at each other.

Unfortunately I'm not ready to share a webplayer build (would like to add the menu and a bunch of other insects first).

btw if this reminds you of a certain glowing guy, that's probably because he inspired me:

If you have any feedback or suggestions I'm all ears!

If you want to see how this game evolves you can follow me on twitter:https://twitter.com/grigtod

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  8. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

Nice!

This looks like a great improvement over the original gameplay. Good work!

9. grigtod

grigtod

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good game concept.
    But too simple to assemble it seems, some we have solution at first watch is just super borring and uninteresting, not bringing player to concentrate enought.
    Make some more complicated with more pieces, almost becoming some puzzle pieces you would have to find and think on what piece could go to what place, that would be cool :)

11. grigtod

grigtod

I'm prepping Zen Build for the android stores. Here's the trailer:

12. evan140

evan140

I don't think it's boring, yet I don't find it peaceful either. There's something kind of stressful about it for me personally. Maybe making the user interface more fluid and efficient in how you select pieces. Also, I don't care much for bugs and I wonder if I'm not alone in that feeling.

Would you be open to trying this with a model that creates a fractal or something more abstract? Something where you put parts together and create something that feels like art. Maybe instead of having a model you have to finish, you get to make whatever.

One more thought, this could be a neat way to piece together molecules.

13. grigtod

grigtod

"Something where you put parts together and create something that feels like art. Maybe instead of having a model you have to finish, you get to make whatever."

That's an awesome idea!
    I was thinking about making it so you can draw/model all the pieces so you can build your own stuff, but I'll focus on the android release for now.

"this could be a neat way to piece together molecules."
    That could work as well... you are given a formula and the name of the compound and you have to assemble the molecules together.