Search Unity

Your latest stable Unity version? [Poll]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shushustorm, Jan 16, 2016.

?

What is the latest stable Unity version that you can work with?

1. Unity 5.3.1

19 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. Unity 5.3.0

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Unity 5.2.4

16 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. Unity 5.2.3

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Unity 5.2.2

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. Unity 5.2.1

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Unity 5.2.0

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Older than Unity 5.2.0

38 vote(s)
    37.3%
  9. A patch release

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Hello everyone!
    As many people seem to be having problems with some of the latest Unity releases, I though I'd start a poll that shows us which version is the most stable one on average. Maybe it will help someone to decide which version to choose when having to downgrade at some point.
    Personally, I was working with 5.3.1 and actually had to downgrade all the way back to 5.2.2, which took quite some time. So maybe somebody can make use of this!

Greetings,
    Shu

DrKucho likes this.
  2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

We use 4.8, but will be moving to 5.1 in the coming year. It's a tricky question though, because some things work better in different builds. It really depends on your projects needs. (Sadly).

Ryiah, McMayhem and Shushustorm like this.
  3. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

@zombiegorilla
    Yes, it will depend on which kind of project is being developed, but if there are enough people voting, we might get some information on "the average project" if we're lucky.

4. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

I've been on 5.1.3 for the longest time. Decided to update to 5.3.1 recently because I want the new cinematic effects. Performance is pretty S***ty and there are all kinds of weird issues with the editor, but I'd have to update sooner or later if I want these new features anyway so I figured I'd just bite the bullet now instead of later. I mean, it would be odd if Unity don't fix these issues eventually... Right?

I won't be releasing a new update for a while now anyway. I just pray that Unity has somewhat stabilized by the time it's time to release again.

vakabaka and Shushustorm like this.
  5. landon912

landon912

Our project found 5.2.2 to be the most stable for us. Updating some of the team to the latest build today to see how things are. Hoping for improved performance.

Shushustorm likes this.
  6. vakabaka

vakabaka

my android builds didnot worked with any 5.3.x. So I am using 5.2.4 now (maybe its not bugfree, but ok for me).

And yes, I pray too:

Shushustorm likes this.
  7. orb

orb

I'm on the latest patch release all the time. I'm one of the blessed ones, those nigh-mythical developers who don't run into the crash/freeze/data destruction bugs, the slow builds or the randomly disappearing objects. The new GUI has not told me to sod off even once, prefabs don't seem to have memory loss and imports work like they should, every time. The only slight issue I have is the asset downloading ceasing to show progress bars, but everybody's given up hope they'll ever fix that ;)

I'm expecting it to be spectacular once I do have any major issues.

8. chingwa

chingwa

I've been using 5.2.2 for a while, it seems the best for me in terms of the 5.x releases. 5.3 and 5.3.1 is just riddled with issues.

9. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

I'm not sure you're going to get an accurate answer for the question you are asking. People may well just answer which version they are using, ignoring later builds because they haven't yet tried them. Surely only people with who have tried all the builds with projects of reasonable complexity should actually answer the poll?

We're on 5.2.2 and that's holding up well. I tend to keep one eye on the forums to get an idea of what shape later builds are in before allocating time to evaluate them. Once 5.4.0 is out, we'll take a look at the latest point release in 5.3.x.

We had a rough ride through 5.1.x and now that we're in a comfortable spot I'm in no rush to push ahead.

10. iamthwee

iamthwee

5.2.3f1, daren't upgrade. Downloaded a project of the internet which prompted me to upgrade clicked cancel and deleted the project.

Aiursrage2k and Shushustorm like this.
  11. Player7

Player7

5.2.2 was the last ok release for me.. where performance and bugs weren't really apparent and things worked on other platforms, plus I wasn't questioning my sanity thinking it was my own code. Since 5.3 I think I've spent more time trying to figure out wtf is going in my project.

Well if you ignore the fact the UI drop menus didn't work if you paused the game...that was only fixed in 5.3.1, thus I upgraded.

So yeh I now consider 5.3* as a curse on my project, too many weird bugs, shader issues on android with other assets TOD, physics gone mad 500ms spikes 4k colliders, performance regressions, new UI bugs.. and worst the time wasted trying to reproduce some of those issues in a new projects on current version and older ones.

I think if my UK upload speed wasn't so S*** I would upload the entire project as a bug.

Shushustorm likes this.
  12. McMayhem

McMayhem

Firstly, I'd just like to say thank you for this thread. I think it's a great idea.

My team is currently using 5.2.4 right now and it's working pretty well. It's fixed some odd issues with previous 5.2 builds and has added some nice optimizations.

I haven't touched 5.3 yet. A big reason for that is there is a large thread on the forums about substantial performance issues with 5.3 vs 5.2. Once those threads start to die out, I'll consider taking a look at it. Until then it's just not in our best interest to update to 5.3 as there isn't really anything major as far as features go. They had screen space reflections on the list, but ultimately just released it as a separate plugin.

Shushustorm likes this.
  13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

5.3.0. No major problems. In fact, I've never had any major problems upgrading versions. Like @orb the engine just seems to like me.

I probably won't bother with 5.3.1. I only really jump up on the major points. So the next version I'll grab will be a 5.4.x.

As a side note I also maintain installs of 4.6, 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2. Its convenient to work in whatever version of the engine the client is using. And since clients are all over the place, I get to use them all.

14. landon912

landon912

We hit massive issues on 5.3.1 with our shaders. However, 5.3.1p3...at least doesn't *never* work. Lots of crashing though.

Often it feels like a minefield trying to hop version to version finding one that doesn't break everything.

Shushustorm likes this.
  15. andyz

andyz

Still on 5.1.1 for stability but need to upgrade for a mac input bug - which may be fixed in 5.2.2, unsure...

Shushustorm likes this.
  16. eskovas

eskovas

I'm still on 5.1.1. I'm a bit scared of upgrading after hearing so many people complain about the initial release of 5.2 and the current 5.3.
    I've been thinking of upgrading, but i'm waiting a bit for more until i see people are comfortable with the release.

I might decide to test the latest version to see if all's working well sometime soon though.

EDIT:
    It's like that dilemma, you don't want to upgrade into a version that might not work for you, but if you don't do that, then you can't give feedback to help fix those exact issues o_O

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Deleted User and Shushustorm like this.
  17. bluescrn

bluescrn

4.6.9 - Mobile project relying on lightmaps+lightprobes. Also relying on being able to bake the probes separately from the lightmaps.

Shushustorm likes this.
  18. ZJP

ZJP

?!!

19. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Thank you all for your participation! It's quite interesting to see the votes and read about your stories!
    @Games Foundry
    Yes, you are right. This is not going to be a "scientific" approach that will show 100% accurate results.
    I just wanted others to have at least some sort of indication if they get in the same situation that forces them to downgrade.

20. ChaosMage

ChaosMage

5.1.2p3

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm using 5.1.4.
    -> 5.2 has broken reflection probes and various issues here and there.
    -> 5.3 gives a long list of errors and strange behaviors here and there. I currently don't have time to investigate.
    -> 5.4 beta - Didn't even give a try. I gave up trying to catch up with Unity's insane new release cycle as each new release comes with so much chaos and requires days of additional work to fix what has been broken and discover bad surprises. I'll finish my current game with 5.1.4.

leni8ec likes this.
  22. eskovas

eskovas

Giving a little update, since i upgraded to the latest version from 5.1.
    5.2.4 upgraded really well. Had no problems with it and everything that i tested kept working.
    5.3.2 upgraded with issues with reflection probes, but i can live without the reflection probes until they fix it.
    asd1.jpg
    It mostly fixes itself if i re-enable it or re-render it, but it still causes white spots to appear

Everything else that i tested still works without a problem and don't think performance has changed, but didn't test with a big environment.

EDIT:
    Global illumination also changed in Unity 5.3 (or 5.2, don't remember, but it's still there). Directional Specular GI makes everything too bright now and gives out seams pretty easily between objects:
    asd2.jpg
    Everything worked perfectly on 5.1. If i use only Directional GI in 5.3, everything looks good.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  23. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Same here pretty much, except that I have had some slowdowns on android... :/

24. tatoforever

tatoforever

We are stuck on v5.2.3p3. Version 5.3 and 5.4 have been quite slow (around 2X). Overall experience is bad and our game runs slower in v5 than v4.6. :mad:

25. larku

larku

4.8? Where do I find this version.. I thought 4.7 was the last of the 4.x vintage..

26. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I was on 5.1 for some time , but eventually decided to upgrade to 5.3.2 since I wanted the dropdown component in the new UI system. All together I have actually had a very good experience with both. Except this one time with 5.1 where something all of a sudden started making my baking process crash unity every time. Each time I launched the IDE to try again it crashed even faster than before, clearing the GI and shader cache did not help.. It was a nightmare to find the culprit and to be honest I cant remember what it was.. might have been removing static attributes from some objects that have transparent materials.. although it definitely was a bug .. since there were still some other objects with transparency that didnt cause crashing .. very weird.

27. yoonitee

yoonitee

4.8 for the win!

28. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

5.2.4 is pretty good. Has some shader bugs that are fixed in 5.3.x - but 5.3 is terrible in terms of performance.

29. larku

larku

Is there really a 4.8? Or is that a joke?

I have a project that is still 4.7 - I'd really like to know if there are some more fixes I'm missing out on..

Or are you referring to this Unity 4.8? https://launchpad.net/unity/+milestone/4.8.0

30. yoonitee

yoonitee

Oh yeah.

4.7 for the win!

Unity 5 is too easy to use. Where's the fun in that? ;) I like my game engines full of holes that I have to cleverly work around. Once anyone can use it... it just doesn't make me feel special anymore. :(

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    larku likes this.
  31. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

5.2.3f1 Im not trusting unity 5.3+

32. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

5.4 is already available? I thought it would be released on March 16. Also, I was really hoping for 5.4 to get rid of the horrible performance issues 5.3 introduced. :confused:

33. tatoforever

tatoforever

5.4 is in Beta.

Shushustorm likes this.
  34. mdrotar

mdrotar

It depends which performance issues you're talking about but it's certain that 5.4 will ship with at least some performance issues still remaining.

Shushustorm likes this.
  35. Fissll

Fissll

I'm currently using 5.2.2f1 for my android game and I have considered updating to 5.3 because a different project crashes all the time in 5.2 and does confusing stuff which I don't think is really my fault ^^ ... but after everything I read on the forums I am actually really tempted to downgrade to 5.1

It really looks like the updates get worse every time.

36. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Well, for me, with 5.3 even non-fancy scenes got about half the FPS compared to 5.2. So I don't really know what caused the problem.