Search Unity

Your game in a movie?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rinkelfilm, May 18, 2016.

1. Rinkelfilm

Rinkelfilm

Dear all,

My name is Sarie and I work for the Dutch company Rinkel Film. This summer we are shooting a movie called 'Silk Road', which is a psychological thriller. The movie will be directed by Emmy-award winner Mark de Cloe. Rinkel Film is also an international-oriented company with many co-productions, that also produced Lucia de B., which ended up on the Oscar-shortlist.

The two main-characters in our movie, two teenagers, are very good with computers and play a shooting-game against each other from at home in several scenes. Therefor, we are looking for a game we can use. If you have ever wanted your game to be in a movie, than this is your chance! If you are interested you can get in touch with me at sarieanne@rinkelfilm.com

Many thanks!

Martin_H likes this.
  2. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi there,

Sounds like a good opportunity for someone who is working on a shooting-game.

Does it have to be a multiplayer game or can it be a single player game?

Cheers

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Have you considered approaching already existing game publishers?

4. Rinkelfilm

Rinkelfilm

Hi!

It would have to be a multi-player game, as two of our main characters would compete against each other.

Kind regards, Sarie

5. Rinkelfilm

Rinkelfilm

Yes, but the licensing fee's are over our budget.

6. darkhog

darkhog

Well, it doesn't have to be multiplayer, you could make it play against bots and then just do smart editing. Anyway, there are plenty of open-source and free shooters, such as Xonotic that could do the job as well (no fee for licensing and their devs would be happy to get some exposure).

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Fair enough. You are always welcome to use Pond Wars. Not sure if it meets your needs exactly.

https://boredmormon.itch.io/pond-wars

Message me if you need a formal lisence.

Aiursrage2k and Rombie like this.
  8. Rinkelfilm

Rinkelfilm

Thanks for offering! Unfortunately, it does not meet the needs for what we need it. Thanks though!

9. Rinkelfilm

Rinkelfilm

Thanks for your suggestion! I've send Xonotic an e-mail. Do you have any other tips concerning open-souce shooting games?

10. darkhog

darkhog

Sauerbraten is also good.

11. goat

goat

You don't need to pay a licensing fee if the boys play a game as an expression of culture in a work in art. It's fair use, you are commenting on culture. If you wanted you could make a movie entirely based on playing a specific game as a cultural comment on the game.

manutoo, Rombie and Martin_H like this.
  12. CaptainCannon

CaptainCannon

Just for the record, the film was released in 2017 (Silk Road) and the selected game ended up being Cube 2 Sauerbraten, it's in the film as "Cube", and it's funny that it has a rather important role in the plot :) upload_2023-11-8_19-53-20.png upload_2023-11-8_19-54-26.png

by the way, Sauerbraten has an active community on Discord (sauerworld.org)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    manutoo and DragonCoder like this.