Search Unity

Yosemite compatibility ?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by U7Games, Oct 16, 2014.

1. U7Games

U7Games

Hi ...

How good is the compatibility between unity and Yosemite ?
    I´m not sure if i can make a jump to Osx 10.10 right now.. is Unity stable enough on it?

2. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Yosemite hasn't been released yet so we can't guarantee Unity's stability.

3. artysta

artysta

It has now.

4. THERJ3D

THERJ3D

came here to find out if i should upgrade too.

5. acortix

acortix

I came here for exactly the same reason=) Don't want to be the first one to try.

6. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

Yosemite was released today!

7. Aurore

Aurore

Bad timing was bad.

eshan-mathur likes this.
  8. tr1stan

tr1stan

I found asset server was broke. Can't be connected any more.
    The rest were fine. No compilation errors. I've deployed iOS games with xcode 6 successfully.

9. THERJ3D

THERJ3D

Well, my downloads done, Im going to update the laptop see how it goes.

EDIT: Updated Macbook Pro 2011 and iMac 2013. It seems a lot more stable than the beta (i did not install the GM)

Unity 4.5 seems to work great.

10. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

Monodevelop seems to have problems - it would't open at first. I did fresh installs of 4.5.5 & 4.6.20 and that seems to have solved that problem. However, Monodevelop freezes when you try to quit it.

So far 4.6.20 works fine. Just did a build and installed it on my iPhone6, and it runs fine.

11. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

That's a bummer, though I suppose if I just never quit that wouldn't be a problem. Did debugging work well at least? During the Mavericks upgrade, it caused Unity to crash if you pressed Play with the debugger attached.

12. Mark-Sweeney

Mark-Sweeney

After restarting my mac, Monodevelop started to freeze on quitting again and beachballing. I let it go this time, and after about 20 seconds, the beachball stopped spinning and it finally quit.

Haven't tried running it with the debugger attached.

13. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

Let me know if you do! I'm holding off on Yosemite until I know it won't break debugger. I can't go through that again. :(

14. mtalbott

mtalbott

I'm experiencing an issue with MonoDevelop 2.8 (I use 2.8 because they still haven't fixed the code folding/ saving-breaks-everything bug is MonoDevelop 4). On Yosemite my autocomplete looks like the image below:

15. amrhsn

amrhsn

Unity 4.5.4f1 crashes on heavy scenes. Out of memory error constantly popping up. I get a crash every 10 minutes since installing Yosemite.

16. Griffo

Griffo

Crashed on me to .. :(

17. Maisey

Maisey

Unity-peeps, any statement? I want to upgrade but without compromising a lot of projects for our business...
    You must have done a lot of internal testing so a yey or ney would be nice!

18. nosheet

nosheet

I would strongly advise everyone AGAINST UPGRADING to Yosemite for now:
    I found out several GUI problems in Unity that make it extremely difficult to work with, but there are some ways to fix them *TEMPORARILY*- see below.

It seems that the problems are caused by some of the plugins because running a new project makes stuff work again well --- so this means that you may have problems opening one of your current projects. However, I didn't manage to find out what plugin exactly causes the problem - and it may not be even a plugin at all, could be that the Unity project itself is "corrupt" in some way (because if I include all the plugin packages into the new unity project, the bug doesn't happen). And this is definitely a big potential problem for everyone - potentially having your project files corrupted in the new OS.

I find the below bugs on Unity 4.5, Unity 4.6 beta 17 and 20.

First, layout is broken and your tabs will be invisible, for example:

Here actually I had "Scene View" and "Game View" under different tabs. You can see that tabs are no longer visible, and part of the GUI showing Textured | RGB | 2D ... also get cut out at the top.

Similarly, there are several tabs missing from below where the Project Browser is. Interestingly, Hierarchy tab seems to be showing up well (the only tab that shows up well, and only in one particular Layout configuration).

Finally, even greater problem is that mouse clicks are off if you click anywhere within the panels that have their top cut off!

So basically you want to click on something in editor, but Unity will receive click some 20 pixels above your cursor. This means that if you want to select something you need to aim BELOW the element you want to interact with. Basically, mouse events are offset by exactly the same amount of screen that gets "cut off" at the top of the panels.
    Super annoying and potentially very dangerous way to mess up your project by clicking on the stuff you don't want to click.

How to fix this:
    Now the good thing about mouse clicks being off is that this means we can still select the "cut off" tabs - because Unity will register clicks above our pointer - so basically you click some 15 pixels below the cut off tab should be and you get it selected.
    For example: In the second image I posted, I have several tabs aside from Project view:

Project | Animation | Console

None of them is visible - but if I click somewhere close to "Create" button I will actually select an invisible Project tab, and I can drag it around to "detach" it from the panel group that is bugged. Likewise we can then drag the rest of the tabs.

However this fix is not permanent. As you drag tabs and panels around, you may fix some of them but break the other panel groups. Also, when you close and open Unity the bug will appear again regardless of what you've done.

Well this is strange - does it happen to anyone else?

19. any_user

any_user

Don't see any issues here, I'm having no problem at all with Yosemite & 4.5.5, 4.6b21 and 5.0b9

20. steakpinball

steakpinball

@nosheet I have this problem on Mavericks while using two monitors. I am able to fix it by moving the Unity window.

21. tjpaul

tjpaul

I am having many issues using Unity on Yosemite.

AaronC likes this.
  22. Fritsl

Fritsl

Having issues with MonoDevelop, it's a mess!

UNITY: When are you going to release a fix? (And may I suggest that you sign up for beta in the future?)

23. Marcelo-Viana

Marcelo-Viana

I'm getting all kinds of issues on both 4.5.5 and 4.6.20.

One of the worst one is when changing light and shadow properties manually in the Editor. The Editor viewport bugs out and Unity crashes.

Sigh.

24. Cubic_Creo

Cubic_Creo

Watch out if you're using Application.persistentDataPath. At least in Unity 4.6 beta 20 on OS X, it points to ~/Library/Caches/[company]/[game]. The Yosemite upgrade wipes out the ~/Library/Caches folder, so if your game is storing save game files there, all your customers who upgrade to Yosemite will lose their save games.

25. SteveJ

SteveJ

No problems on Yosemite at all with Unity or MonoDevelop (other than the usual problems with MonoDevelop).

26. Cubic_Creo

Cubic_Creo

I'm getting similar behavior. I can open Unity and let it just sit there for 10-15 minutes, and it'll just crash without me even playing the scene or touching anything in the editor.

27. orb

orb

No problems running Unity 4.6 or 5.0 betas on Yosemite here.

28. EBR

EBR

I have Yosemite and am using unity 4.6b21 & 4.6b20 and am getting strange bugs (Not sure what its from).
    When I view something in the inspector I get this in the console:
    ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/Assembly.cs:371)
    UnityEditor.Events.InterceptedEventsPreview.GetEventsInfo (UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Extensions/guisystem/guisystemeditor/UI/InterceptedEventsPreview.cs:164)
    UnityEditor.Events.InterceptedEventsPreview.Initialize (UnityEngine.Object[] targets) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/Extensions/guisystem/guisystemeditor/UI/InterceptedEventsPreview.cs:62)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.GetPreviewsForType (UnityEditor.Editor editor)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.CreatePreviewables ()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

and

ArgumentException: Getting control 0's position in a group with only 0 controls when doing Repaint
    Aborting
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext ()
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginVerticalScrollView (Vector2 scrollPosition, Boolean alwaysShowVertical, UnityEngine.GUIStyle verticalScrollbar, UnityEngine.GUIStyle background, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginVerticalScrollView (Vector2 scrollPosition, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.OnGUI ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 11.02.33 pm.png
    As well as this when I try to build my project
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.AssemblyTypeInfoGenerator.GetFields (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition type, Boolean isGenericInstance, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 genericInstanceTypeMap)
    UnityEditor.AssemblyTypeInfoGenerator.AddType (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference typeRef, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 genericInstanceTypeMap)
    UnityEditor.AssemblyTypeInfoGenerator.AddBaseType (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference typeRef, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 genericInstanceTypeMap)
    UnityEditor.AssemblyTypeInfoGenerator.AddType (Mono.Cecil.TypeReference typeRef, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 genericInstanceTypeMap)
    UnityEditor.AssemblyTypeInfoGenerator.AddNestedTypes (Mono.Cecil.TypeDefinition type, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 genericInstanceTypeMap)
    UnityEditor.AssemblyTypeInfoGenerator.GatherClassInfo ()
    UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.ExtractAssemblyTypeInfo (System.String assemblyPathName)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

And

Internal compiler error. See the console log for more information. output was:
    Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.ComputeNamespace (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.Type extensionType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.GlobalRootNamespace.ComputeNamespaces (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.Driver.LoadReferences () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

And

Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 11.02.52 pm.png
    Again, I'm no expert and I have no idea what is causing these errors so it may not be an issue with unity but I presume it is, as this didn't happen before 'upgrading' to OSX Yosemite

EDIT: This is most likely not caused by OSX Yosemite. But if any one would like to help me feel free.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  29. alonsoGarrote

alonsoGarrote

Hello there, I downloaded Yosemite, and Im using Unity 4.3.4.
    I want to know...after Yosemite get installed,
    do I have to reinstall all programs like in windows OS?

30. Aurore

Aurore

If you are experiencing bugs, please send us bug reports feel free to post the bug numbers in here too.

31. EBR

EBR

So after a week of using unity and yosemite I can say that there aren't any major bugs that I can find, and that most of the problems I was getting was to do with either my code or are preexisting (aready been reported). Thanks hope this helps

Aurore likes this.
  32. AllonVR

AllonVR

I have a MacBook Pro and did a clean install of Yosemite, also returned my Unity licenses, but cannot get Unity to work. It will crash before anything shows a sign of starting. Apple merely shows the window "Unity had quit unexpectedly", that's all. I filed a bug report and contacted Support and kept on trying all kinds of solutions like repairing permissions and stuff, but to no effect.

So, it's weird, but Unity just doesn't seem to work on Yosemite.

33. EBR

EBR

This happened to me as well, but after reinstalling the latest version of the unity 4.6 beta, and restarting my computer it was fine.

34. Diori

Diori

I cannot export my old project (before Yosemite upgrade) to APK after upgrading to Yosemite. The progress bar run for a while and suddenly disappear without any APK generated.
    But, I can export a fresh project to APK. Any suggestion?

*I'm using Unity 4.3.4

35. AllonVR

AllonVR

I tried it, but alas, no luck...

36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well since 4.3.4 won't change you will need to upgrade to a newer version of Unity - 4.6 latest?

37. Diori

Diori

Oops I'm sorry, its my fault close the console log so I cannot see the error logs. The problem is corrupted prefabs because force quitting a non responsive Unity.
    Overall Unity 4.3.4 working fine for my without any problem.

38. marcusudk

marcusudk

I'm having the same problem, I upgraded to Yosemite, then installed Unity 4.5.4 and It just crashes on start up.

39. EBR

EBR

Have you tried installing newest version, clearing cache, restarting .etc ? also open a new project not a pre-existing one to check if that works first.

40. AllonVR

AllonVR

Yes, I did. It remains a mystery to me. I'm on a MacBook Pro 17 inch, early 2009 model BTW. It should work fine with Yosemite and Unity works well on Mavericks... I don't know what causes the crash. Perhaps my MacBook is too old?

41. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

42. sgoodrow

sgoodrow

I am receiving an empty string for Application.persistentDataPath on OSX 10.10 Yosemite.

The problem has existed on both Unity 4.5.3p4, 4.5.5f1 and 4.5.5p4.

I have determined the problem: The recent changes to the OS X 10.10 Yosemite persistent data path has created a dependency on the Company name field in the Unity Player settings. Mine was set to a single space, and as a consequence the path constructor failed and returned an empty string. I did not test if an empty Company name field produced the same problem, but adding a valid string ("Company") resolved the problem.

I have reported the bug. Case 647200.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  43. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I'l told QA about 647200.

44. pKallv

pKallv

I guess I should not upgrade to Y yet i guess?

45. pKallv

pKallv

Can someone please inform about current status on Yasemite and Unity3D?

46. User340

User340

I have installed the latest Yosemite (10.10.1) and the latest Unity (4.6.0p1) and everything is working 100% correctly. I have been able to connect to my asset server (running mavericks ATM) and update/commit my work. Been able to build to my iPad with no problem. As far as I can tell, it's safe to upgrade.

47. pKallv

pKallv

thanks

48. Razieln64

Razieln64

I am having issues with preferences saved by Unity. At some point, it will forget the path to the editor (I use MonoDevelop 5.5 because it sucks less), or just completely wipe the recent projects list and load the Angry Bots demo. It happened with 4.5.5 and it still happens now with 4.6.1p1. :(

Every once in a while I get the Unity startup dialog box, it also resets the location of the Android SDK. It is really annoying.

This never happened in Mavericks.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  49. killroy

killroy

Same here on my system. Yosemite. 10.10.1
    It looks like Unity randomly deletes preferences. It clears my project list, resets the layout and forgets about External Script Editor and then instead of loading my latest opened project, loads Angry Bots demo. Annoying.

50. DonkyeyUppercut

DonkyeyUppercut

I'm on a 2011 Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM, running Yosemite.

Unity 3D crashed when I tried to save a file with a plane in it.

Yosemite is awful on the older machines. Be careful. Been drowned in issues.