Search Unity

X-Change 3D for Unity - Model creation made easy

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Bloodysoft, May 13, 2014.

1. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

Hi guys and gals,

X-Change 3D is a plugin for Unity which allows you to export GameObjects in your scene to Obj, FBX, DAE, and DXF format.
    You simply select the GameObject, even if it's created from several imported models, and click export; that's it, you now have an FBX created from your GameObject(s).

Any problems or requests, please let us know.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/16762

plus.jpg

Shoplifter Support - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/shoplifter-simple-vendor-template-for-ufps-and-ugui.291203/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

v. 1.47 has been submitted.

Features:
    Support for Unity Terrain (export as OBJ or FBX)
    Support for Skinned Mesh Renderers
    Support for Material Color and Transparency
    Support for texture locating(Applied automatically during import to 3D software)
    Support for Animation Export
    Support for Skinned mesh or Mesh Filter Detection(exported as MF).
    Better support for SMR'S(slower but calculates bind poses and bone weights for proper location of exported SMR(s) to MF(s).
    All GameObjects are now supported

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  3. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

v. 1.5 has been submitted.
    This version adds Mac support; although it has only been tested on Mavericks 10.9.0.

4. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

v.1.5.1 adds Beta support for batch exporting to OBJ and FBX. ATM only Windows can export to FBX. Mac can export to OBJ.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  5. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

1.5.5 supports Windows and Mac (tested only on Mavericks 10.9), and Batch processing to OBJ and FBX (only Batch to OBJ on Mac).
    All classes (C# and C++) have been optimized in preparation of source release later down the road (needs several hours of code commenting).

6. cj31387

cj31387

7. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

Hi cj31387,

Yes, X-Change does export vertex color and alpha transparency as it is set on the source GameObject(s) in inspector view.
    Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

8. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

Looks like an awesome utility. Purchasing ASAP.

9. cj31387

cj31387

Are you working on skinned mesh support ? Or no plans for it? If yes hows the progress on it?

Also Can you still export the skinned mesh but it just wont have bones or rigging right?

10. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

Thank you Vern. I hope to see your productivity increased exponentially with this utility, as it did for me so many times.

11. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

cj31387,

Yes, this will export any GameObject. If it is a SkinnedMesh, then it will be exported as MeshFilter instead.
    We have taken a hiatus on SkinnedMesh support until after Unity 5 is released, but do not yet have a date for X-Change3D v.2.0 until we can spend some time with the new SDK.

12. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

I am having issues exporting an FBX file of a terrain. I get an application error. See attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

13. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

Vern,
    0xc00007b is usually an issue with the .NET framework. Please try the solutions below. If this does not work, get back to me and I'll look into it further.
    Also. does this only happen with terrains to FBX? Does exporting GameObjects to FBX produce the same error? Can you export the terrain to OBJ successfully? In the X-Change3D info window at the bottom (red or green), does it produce an error or warning after you close the Windows error window?

Thank you.

Solution 1
    In most cases it's .NET framework causing issues. This can easily be fixed by re-installing the latest .NET framework

Solution 2
    Download and re-import X-Change3D. It sounds simple but the data files (Compiled C++ Autodesk FBX SDK) could be corrupt. This could be caused by an import that did not complete successfully or by anti virus software.

Solution 3
    Running the application as an administrator could fix this error. Right click on the Unity3D shortcut, then click on Run as Admin. Also try temporarily disabling your real time antivirus scan, if this fixes the issue, then add Bloodsucker to the Av ignore/allow list.

Solution 4
    Run Windows update as it can provide application fixes and updates. Furthermore it installs missing drivers and updates the outdated ones like graphic card drivers. Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 users need to search for "windows update". select all important and optional updates and click on the "install updates" button.

14. Vern_Shurtz

Vern_Shurtz

Thank you for the rapid response. I will try these solutions and experiment. At the moment I am only exporting a Terrains. I will try other GameObjects.

15. EdgarR

EdgarR

Hello, an interesting feature would be able to import mesh and convert it to editable terrain in Unity, is there any way to do this? If not, here is a nice feature to be implemented.

Thanks.

16. EdgarR

EdgarR

I found thousands of bugs and flaws.

1. The plugin did not work, said miss mscrt110.dll or something similar name, fixed it by installing the MS Visual Redist 2013.

2. I could not export to .dae, is impossible, while exports .obj instantly, I let the computer try to export to .dae for about 20 minutes, I had to go in task manager and end the program.

3. I can not build the .exe of my game, in the Unity console says it can not import some X-Change DLLs, which is the cause of the blockage.

17. cj31387

cj31387

18. OnePxl

OnePxl

Aw S***. Are there issues under Yosemite?

19. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

Unfortunately, the update will remove Mac support as I don't have a way to debug it and the added Mac support causes issues with the Windows portion. It will probably end up as a Windows version and a zipped Mac version inside the project folder. ETA: 6-10 days for Windows and 2-3 weeks for Mac.
    It has only been tested on early Mavericks 10.1 I believe, but that was way back when Unity was 4.1-ish.

20. OnePxl

OnePxl

Why can't you debug it? You don't have access to a Mac?

21. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

I live in an area hostile to technology this time of year. I don't mean hostile people, but a nuclear power plant a mile away that throws EMP bursts that can theoretically destroy computers when it powers up the biggest turbine to supply heat to the Midwest, so I'm down to a Windows PC at the moment until the season change. Near the end of February they power down the #4 fast reactor and run the three small thermal reactors so I can get something out for Yosemite by then. Possibly earlier if I release the source version using full C# instead of the compiled C++ to access the Autodesk FBX SDK which is how it accesses the externals now.

Also be advised that to work properly with Unity 4.6+ and 5.0+ I'll be removing the obsolete "Renderer" and "Terrain Export" functions (which cause stack overflows with some of the 4.6+ classes and events) until I can get my hands on 5.0 to study the new classes. I'll be capable of doing this in 2-3 weeks when I have to publish an update to my own game and since I will use a Pro license I can get a copy of 5.0 at that time.

Thank you for your interest, and if you have suggestions for future updates, don't hesitate to comment. SkinnedMesh and Runtime support won't be until after 5.0 though.

I'll have a more concrete idea of what/when will be released over the next few days.

22. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

1.6 update has been submitted. It now supports Unity 4.6+ and a core rewrite for a planned future update for SkinnedMesh export with Unity 5.
    Please report any problems to contact@bloodysoft.com

SkinnedMesh Export is coming along. X-Change "Xtra Crunchy" now with bones (2.0). With a total rewrite of the base code, I need to re implement geometry color and texture locators to the new classes, as well as writing the boneweights and skinning elements which luckily are available in both Unity 4.6+ and 5.0 but v.2.0 should be completed at the end of February, with possibly a beta much sooner.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  23. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

For Shoplifter - the Webplayer demo is at http://bloodysoft.com/Media/Shoplifter/
    Basic Manual (Incomplete)- http://bloodysoft.com/Media/Basic Manual - part1.pdf
    I'm aware of the HealthPack malfunction which can be fixed in PlayerHealthPackExample.cs and changing hpAmount from private to public and setting the amount of health regeneration in inspector, which is attached to the Demo Player.
    Let us know of any problems or requests (this is a very early release so there's more to come), and documentation will be finished tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime, support requests are always welcome.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  24. OnePxl

OnePxl

Shoplifter?!

25. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

Shoplifter is the title of another asset. Not meant as a derogatory term against anyone. I haven't had time to set up another section for it.

26. jimboyte

jimboyte

Bloodysoft,
    I purchased X-change 3D but I did not find the zipped files for MAC. Can you please email them to me? jimboyte@me.com Thank yo so much! Jim

27. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

Hi Jim. Sorry for the delay as I've been away for a while. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to debug the MAC code, so it was removed after the last update. Please give me a couple of days to put together an update that (in theory) should work with MAC.

Thank you

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  28. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

Hi all,
    sorry for the absence and lack of updates. Unfortunately, the skinned mesh support that was promised in January was incompatible with the FBX SDK and is no longer supported. Please be aware that X-Change only supports static meshes.

Thank you

29. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

An update has been posted that fixes multiple bugs and now allows saving the X-Ports to an external folder, as well as saving to folders based on date and time rather than overwriting each build. It also includes unofficial support for MAC OSX Yosemite. At this time, it's unofficial until it's proven. It's been tested very little but without errors, so if you have any problems, please send an email or post a response here. Also, please respond if you don't have errors and I'll officially release the MAC support. The FBX Batch function for MAC should be added next week as well (unofficial).
    Thank you,

OnePxl likes this.
  30. Bloodysoft

Bloodysoft

Unity 5.0 null reference bug when copying textures of the same name used on multiple objects can be fixed by replacing line 1029 in XMain.cs with:
    if (!File.Exists(destinationFile)) FileUtil.CopyFileOrDirectory(kvp.Value.textureName, destinationFile);

Outerview:
    Unity has become a hindrance lately, so rather than continue on this road of despair, all packages have been deprecated Unity's new policy of adding backdoors to track the user's (your) every move (5.1+) is a common Electronic Arts procedure, and since a former EA exec is now in charge of Unity, this will only get worse. The childish behavior of Unity admins and mods also lead us to this decision (admins and mods belittling or verbally abusing new Unity users requesting help is unacceptable). We do not condone tyranny of any kind, being former A******** members, and thus have moved on to Unreal which we have used since the mid-1990's with much success (they also retain a very professional attitude), and is now open sourced to cater to Indie devs. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and hope to see you on the Unreal Market very soon.

p.s. Any updates to released Unity packages will be posted under the "Resources" section (No Unity tracking code) of the mtheory.net website. We will not support Unity 5.1 at this time but will release all assets created for Unity including new additions for free. This may be a little long winded, but felt it our responsibility to explain our decision rather than a complete disappearance without plausible cause.

--Semper Fidelis

31. imtrobin

imtrobin

thanks for explaining, can u share what u mean by the new backdoor?