Search Unity

Would any larger Unity-using studios be willing to post screenshots of their custom editors?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Xelnath, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Xelnath

Xelnath

I would love to see what kind of tools you guys have created for your in-house teams to use.

I was inspired by this article over at:

http://www.develop-online.net/interview/unity-focus-making-ori-and-the-blind-forest/0200653

Specifically:

What advice would you give to new Unity developers?
    Don’t be afraid to modify and extend the engine to make it do exactly what you want and how you want it. Learn to write custom inspectors and editor tools. It’s the best investment you can make while making your game. And Unity is simply the best engine for this.

Would any studios be willing to show us what you've made? I am super curious now.

2. BMayne

BMayne

Hey There,

The studio I work for around 40 employees that needed a system to support multiple asset resolutions. Managing assets is super huge pain that tends to get messed up the longer you work on a project. I created this system which manages all our assets and dynamically creates code behind the scenes so our team does not have too. A big portion of this framework called MAR, is our catalog creator (the image attached). With this one window you can preview all your assets at all resolutions. You also get to choose where they go the resources folder or baked into an asset bundle.

MARCatalogCreator.png

Besides from that we have a bunch of custom Properties Drawers but they are not really exciting to look at.

theANMATOR2b and Xelnath like this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

For Season 2 of The Last Door, The Game Kitchen switched to the Dialogue System for Unity. They customized the editor to accommodate their existing framework and wrote a detailed post about it here:

http://thegamekitchen.com/blog/designing-a-new-dialogue-pipeline/

A screenshot of their editor:

[SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't played Season 2 yet, you might not want to read the conversation tree below!]

theANMATOR2b and Xelnath like this.