Search Unity

Worlds of Magic - a Master of magic recreation

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by doomtrader, Apr 5, 2013.

1. doomtrader

doomtrader

Hi All,

For quite some time we are working on the Spiritual Successor to Master of Magic. The game is called Worlds of Magic.

Here is the list of most important features among many

Master of Magic Spiritual Successor: After waiting more than a decade for a true MoM successor, we decided to create one.
    D20 System: Units, Spells, and Heroes will all draw from the D20 OGL rule set during tactical battles.
    Deep 4X Playability: Explore, exploit, expand and exterminate in a world of magic, diplomacy, and war.
    Hero Units: Recruit powerful, artifact wielding heroes to lead your forces into battle.
    Twelve Spell Circles: Focus on depth in a single school, or gain the ability to cast incredibly diverse spells.
    Unique Races: Each race offers the ability to create exclusive units, with their own strengths and weaknesses. The factions also play differently allowing players to choose a faction based on their play style.
    Settle Powerful Cities: Construct buildings, raise crops, and control production in order to create and support powerful armies.
    Multiple Victory Conditions: War is not the only way to conquer the world; make treaties, establish trade routes or use peace as a tool for domination.
    Procedurally Generated Universe: Each game can be different. The entire universe is created procedurally using a seed that can be random or specified by the player.
    Multiple Planes of Existence: Explore and conquer seven different planes of existence ranging from the Prime Material Plane, which is much like Earth, to the elemental planes that course with pure elemental energies. Find new creatures and new lands for expansion in these unexplored realms.

And some screenshots from Battle view. Soon we should present some World Map screens.

$Worlds_of_Magic_prealpha_13_31_03_001_thumb.png

2. Spoink

Spoink

Looks cool :)
    A video would be great to see the game in action

3. doomtrader

doomtrader

Thanks,

Just working on it now, and should be ready later this week.

4. kalamona

kalamona

WOW! You just got me super excited!

Master of Magic was one of my favorite games (definitely in the top 5), and I really wish someone would just make a "right" remake! Fallen Enchantress, Warlock, etc were fine, but somehow they didn't offered the same freedom Mom did.

Are you working alone? in a team? paid, or collab? Give us more information please!

5. hellcaller

hellcaller

that looks really cool!

6. doomtrader

doomtrader

Hi,

I'm founder of Wastelands Interactive, a small wargame developer from Poland.
    We are working on this game for quite some time in a small team.
    Some folks I need to paid, some are collaborating.

The game is going to have randomly generated worlds with seven different types of existence.
    We will set up the battle aspect in the d20 system, which is very well tested and will allow us to easily set up new units for race.

The gameplay freedom will be the same as in MoM if not greater.
    We are really aiming to make it successor for this great game.

7. kalamona

kalamona

Thanks for the answers.

I see you have a kickstarter page, with some nice results :), you will surely get funded, one third funded in the first few days means a success.

Are you looking for help, thoughts, feedback? Or just generally showcasing?

best regards,
    Kalamona

8. doomtrader

doomtrader

At the moment we are just showcasing, I am hoping that unity won't make us any serious issues during the development. :)

However this seems to be one of the friendliest forums I have visited so far.

9. kalamona

kalamona

10. doomtrader

doomtrader

11. doomtrader

doomtrader

12. Kromienkeli

Kromienkeli

Hi Doomtrader,

I've never posted in the forums before, but after seeing your project I had to, it's so close to mine :)

I've been working for a while now on similar game, though with some differing concepts. But the basics are same, fantasy TBS similar to Master of Magic. Your project is looking very good! I myself am mainly a programmer so so far I've not done any graphics, just some basic geometric shapes to represent objects in the world and basic shaders/textures.

My game has hex based world map. I've not yet decided what kind of map to use for combat, I plan to make it more tactical (Warhammer FB like), so maybe I play with distances instead of tiles.

I'm curious on some aspect of your design though. Is your world map made of (gameobject) tiles? If so, how close can you zoom into the map, are your terrain assets (trees, mountains etc.) very detailed? And do you use Unity Terrain for the combat map (do you have elevation?) or have you custom terrain? I myself probably make my own "Terrain engine" because I need to procedurally create the combat map with elevation and obstacle placement. The Unity Terrain API seems largely to be undocumented (and maybe unsupported) so I decided I don't want to rely on it :)

For water I use EasyWater. I can recommend it, at least as base for your design, it looks very good.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to playing your game! :)

13. doomtrader

doomtrader

Kromienkeli, I need to get one of the programmers to answer your question :)

We have just made a short gameplay teaser

[video=youtube_share;pBI90P0RO_s]http://youtu.be/pBI90P0RO_s

Also if you would like to give us a hand, please vote YES for this project at Greenlight
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138313793