Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WorldComposer a tool to create real World AAA quality terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 6, 2013.

1. John-G

John-G

First download current version of unity 5 it has all the features of pro and is free.
    Then I'd recommend purchasing worldcomposser and terraincomposer both on offer for $45 each, a bargain.
    You can't expect support for products you haven't purchased.

OnePxl likes this.
  2. DarkRides

DarkRides

首先 使用WC 你需要注册一个必应地图的KEY 这样你才能读取地图的API 服务 ,TC 错误 你可以更新下 for U5 的资源脚本

hakankaraduman likes this.
  3. szlangtue

szlangtue

zhangzixian:
    现在申请bing的开发账户不行了,点击Create没有反应,怎么回事?
    您有QQ吗?希望与你QQ交流。

4. szlangtue

szlangtue

zhangzixian:
    有几个我关心的问题,急需得到您的回答:
    1、Unity5.0专业版破解后可以使用TC和WC吗?或者Unity5.0的个人版可以直接使用TC和WC?
    2、怎么更新Unity5.0 的资源脚本?我在系统自动提示更新脚本时出错
    3、TC和WC可以加载矢量的地图格式吗?可以加载别的地图服务如Google,天地图?
    4、TC和WC在地物的查询和分析上功能怎样,跟一般的GIS平台相比,是不是不方便?
    谢谢!

5. DarkRides

DarkRides

如果你购买了WC 包 仔细阅读文档 开发者账号 适用于basic 类型创建 这是免费的。

6. DarkRides

DarkRides

unity 是一个游戏引擎 如果你要做GIS 开发 建议用专业的GIS 平台 不然2次开发的工作量很大

7. Becoming

Becoming

What the heck is going on? o_O

8. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Yes WorldMachine doesn't seem to support non-square heightmap importing. A workaround is that you export the heightmap as square, then import in WorldMachine. Then with photoshop you can crop it to be non-square again.

Nathaniel

9. eagle555

eagle555

I'm not sure what you mean, can you explain in more detail?

Nathaniel

10. eagle555

eagle555

Sorry I can't help you here if you use cracked versions.

Nathaniel

11. DarkRides

DarkRides

upload_2015-4-1_10-23-16.png
    WC areas position
    upload_2015-4-1_10-23-39.png
    unity terrain create position

Create terrain can use real-time location in the DOM or in the next version update!

upload_2015-4-1_10-28-42.png

12. eagle555

eagle555

WorldComposer automatically placed an area with the center at the zero point world position. This is because in Unity positions use floats, and floats are inprecise. The futher away you go from the zero point the positions become more inaccurate and objects start to jitter.

I will add a snap option to area's in the next update and also that's it's possible to use a reference point for the center of the terrain on the map, so that area's can be placed next to each other, instead of always center at zero point.

Nathaniel

13. DarkRides

DarkRides

Thanks eagle555!

14. DarkRides

DarkRides

Hello eagle555. WC and TC is a very powerful tool in the terrain, if possible, will extend some professional GISfunctions, such as multi level DOM cache service and vector data....

15. eagle555

eagle555

I made WorldComposer for extracting real world elevation data and satellite images and image shadow removal algorithm to be able to use it for games/projects. I added some export functionality to be able to import in programs like GlobalMapper. However making professional GIS functions like that goes beyond the scope of WorldComposer.

Nathaniel

16. arcdragon1

arcdragon1

Hi, eagle555. can i use on commercial my game?
    i looked over about bing maps license, bing seems to be not allowed on commercial contents.
    i already purchased this wonderful asset but I’m little worried about the license.

hopeful likes this.
  17. GreatWall

GreatWall

Hello eagle555, What projection algorithm used in WorldComposer? I am building a marine GIS application,and use Mercator projection to get ship's position in scene. Or the source data you get from Bing is already projected. I didn't do any Bing API related development yet :p

18. MarcusWatson

MarcusWatson

Are you storing the coordinates as GPS/Lat-Long?

I don't believe WC reprojects (though happy for Eagle to correct me) - I've had to work with GPS and Bing maps before Unity and I had to do WGS84/EPSG4326:EPSG3857 conversion. This link was very handy at the time: https://alastaira.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/the-google-maps-bing-maps-spherical-mercator-projection/

https://projnet.codeplex.com/ may come in useful if you need to reproject. It's mono-friendly.

19. GreatWall

GreatWall

Thank you MarcusWatson. Yes, coordinate format is Lat,Lon. But from AIS and VTS.I think there is no difference from GPS.

20. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Hi any thoughts of doing new tutorials cos in the other tutorials the interface isnt even the same.

21. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

It used to be a grey area as you can read on the first pages of this forum thread, but Bing changed the license recently, at the moment I'm working on adding Google maps and USGS (Topo maps and DEM), USGS is for free and can be used commercially.

Nathaniel

MS80, John-G and hopeful like this.
  22. eagle555

eagle555

WorldComposer uses Mercator projection, you can read more about it here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb259689.aspx

Nathaniel

23. eagle555

eagle555

Yes WC uses coordinates GPS/Lat-Long. This is converted in WorldComposer to Unity units (meters). I included a script (Latlong_Conversion) with WorldComposer where you can call functions to convert lat-long to meters and vice versa.

Nathaniel

24. eagle555

eagle555

You can find all the tutorials here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/worldcomposer/

I've expanded WorldComposer features since releasing it. For example later I created a shadow removal algorithm. But the interface still works the same only there are some new tabs like 'Image Editor' and 'Converter', I explain everything in the manual which is up to date, and also made new tutorial video's for shadow removal and multi-resolution terrain. The basic exporting still works the same, so I don't make a new tutorial video for it because there's some more features and options in WC.

Nathaniel

25. MarcusWatson

MarcusWatson

Oh fantastic - I didn't realise that. Sorry for the misinformation @GreatWall - /shuffles off ashamed.

26. GreatWall

GreatWall

I can't find any function or script file named "Latlong_Conversion".PS my plugin version is 1.13.
    And which Mercator do you use?
    http://spatialreference.org/ref/sr-org/6864/html/
    this is my Mercator.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  27. MS80

MS80

Great news!

28. arcdragon1

arcdragon1

Oh i see. thank you for teaching me great information!

29. eagle555

eagle555

The latest version (1.3) has the script included. You can update WC in the 'Update' tab.

Nathaniel

30. szlangtue

szlangtue

The following is my operation export images and heightmap to create terrain in WorldComposer:
    First, open 'Regions',choose a region on map, select resolution as 2048, 17*11 titles, the actual 9.600Km*6.211Km
    Then, Open 'Image Export', select 'Image Zoom' as 19 level, Check 'Export World File', format is Jpg, and then click 'Export Images'
    Then, Open 'Heightmap Export', select 'Heightmap Zoom' as 14 level, and then click 'Export Heightmap'
    When the two tasks are completed:
    Open 'Create Terrain', select 'Heightmap Resolution' as 129, other default settings, and then click on the 'Create Terrain'
    The terrain was created successfully, but in Unity Console has been flashing, new error does not stop, the final number reached the maximum value of 999+, these errors are mainly the following three repeat:
    No.1 line:Non zero job exit code from'CreateClustering'job.
    No.2 line:'CreateClustering'job failed with error code: 2 ('Enlighten License Failure.').
    No.3 line:Exit code: 0
    Because of the above errors, not only it has occupy CPU and memory, even it cause of failure to build the project.
    My Unity version is 5.0 Personal Edtion.
    How to solve these errors?
    Please master pointing, very grateful!
    my email is:22014391#qq.com

31. eagle555

eagle555

This is because of lightmap baking of Enlighten (There's something wrong with the Enlighten License), this has nothing to do with WorldComposer. In Unity5 lightbaking is automatic on continues. You can disable this if you go to Unity Menu -> Window -> Lighting -> disable 'Continuous Baking'.

Nathaniel

32. Ravvicus

Ravvicus

Is there a way to normalize the heightmap within a given range?

I have worked out a way of doing this with World Machine, but it involves guesstimating the lowest and highest points within the selected area.

The reason for doing this is World Composer extracts a heightmap of range 0 to 9000. This makes it virtually impossible to use the terrain sculpting tools as a single click causes a giant hill to appear.
    Terrain-with-height-of-9000.jpg
    In World Machine you can use a Clamp device to normalize the height range.
    normalize-with-world-machine.jpg
    Resulting in a new heightmap with a terrain height of 1000. Clicking the raise terrain tool now has the desired effect. An issue with this method is the scale of hills is wrong, making them look squished or stretched.
    Terrain-with-height-of-1000.jpg

I'm thinking World Composer could have a way to normalize for the selected region.

33. eagle555

eagle555

In TerrainComposer you can do this as well with a normal curve. I will add this option to the next WorldComposer update.

Nathaniel

34. szlangtue

szlangtue

35. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

That is very simple. Enable the 'Map Parameters' tab, and select map type 'Road'.

Nathaniel

map.jpg

36. szlangtue

szlangtue

You think too simple, or you don't know what I mean. My focus is Chinese label, rather than a simple switch traffic map. I understand very well the three 'map type' of meaning in WC.Non-native Bing map in China, it's labels are english, and there is a little label, not suitable for use in china.
    I need a bing key,witch can load bing map of china.

37. eagle555

eagle555

Ah now I get what you mean. Can you try with the package if it works now?

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

38. szlangtue

szlangtue

When I import this package,unity report 'Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package.'

39. szlangtue

szlangtue

This packege can import,but it seem not work.there is nothing on WC's map.

40. eagle555

eagle555

41. PlayMagicLtd

PlayMagicLtd

Hi,
    We are trying to extract a group of islands in Europe (Malta) for testing pourpose, but the results are very strange. First of all looks like the Heights are inverted Sea goes up, lands goes down:

http://prntscr.com/72jmva

Second, the terrain looks blocky, and I suppose is it the poor/low resolution BING has on that part of the world?

http://prntscr.com/72jn2n

Thanks

42. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

I took a look and actually it's a bug in the new normalizing of heightmaps feature of the latest WC 1.4. I made a fix for this. I will make an official update for WC. Included in the fix is also the possibility to extract 8k images in Unity5 (before limit was 4k).
    After importing the fix, you need to export the heightmap again, and then recreate the terrain, the heights should be correct then.

As for the terrain looks blocky issue, I explain this in trouble shooting in the end of WC manual. Also on my site:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/
    Have to leave the terrain resolution on 129, you put it to 1025...

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

43. silentneedle

silentneedle

Does it make sense to use WorldComposer for games other than flight-simulators? I'm currently trying to get a specific location into unity for a fps game, that's why I'm asking.

44. eagle555

eagle555

You can use WorldComposer for fps games as well. Peter and me made the 24 hour demo with heightmap and satellite images (used as colormap) from WorldComposer.
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/demos/

Nathaniel

45. Hedonsoft

Hedonsoft

Hi. Can World Composer and Terrain Composer be used for relatively flat sprawling terrains? In World Composer I sampled a fairly flat area in Florida and used the default settings to generate a height map. I was hoping for some gentle hills but instead got sharp drop offs in the terrain. Another problem seems to be the offset is off. How can I tell how to set the offset amount?

46. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Yes they can be used for that. You can read about the blockery heightmap resolution in the troubleshooting in the end of the WorldComposer manual (it's in the TerrainComposer folder) and here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/

If the offset is off you can correct it, I explain this in the WC manual on page 10.

Nathaniel

47. bukusuma

bukusuma

Hi, somehow I got the same problem with TheCheese, can I have this "simple project" too?
    my email is komarajaya@gmail.com
    Cheers,

48. bukusuma

bukusuma

isn't it the script in page 4 in javascript? it says csharp. i'm not too familiar with either js or cs.. i'm a c++ user

49. eagle555

eagle555

Can you explain in more detail about your problem and what project you want?

Nathaniel

50. bukusuma

bukusuma

ok, to tell u the truth I'm only weeks away learning unity, i'm a c++ programmer, I want to make a local terrain system using your product.
    what I want is just a simple local terrain scene and place an object.. let's say an airplane moving/floating into the scene based on Longitude and Latitude that's all. that's simple.
    so.. i'm not going to refuse if you give me a simple sample project.
    thanks