Search Unity

Assets World Map Strategy Kit

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kronnect, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Kronnect

Kronnect

NON-WIP THREAD HERE -> https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/r...kickstart-your-next-aaa-strategy-game.386743/

Hi community!

At Kronnect, we have started the development of a new asset aimed to speed up the development of strategy games based on World Map.

Built on top of World Political Map 2D Edition, we're happy to announce the upcoming World Map Strategy Kit, a game toolkit that will include additional and specific features useful for creating strategy games.

FAQ

1.- What features will include World Map Strategy Kit (WMSK)?

Most features already included in World Political Map 2D Edition plus:
    * Enhanced scenic styles with high resolution textures and visual effects
    * Fog of War
    * Ability to quickly positioning and locating units and resources on the map
    * Smooth movement, path visualization and arrow/throwing effects
    * And more!

2.- Why a new asset? Was not 2D Edition worth of these improvements?

Many customers are using our World Political Maps in non-strategy games, even non-games at all. Adding more features and resources to a general-purpose asset will increase its size without providing any benefit to those users. So we decided to fork World Political Map 2D Edition and create WMSK.

Both assets will continue to evolve. It's just some new features will be only available in one of them. If you're developing a data-viz or GPS-based app, or want to use the map as a simple country selector, WPM 2D Edition or even the World 2D Lite Edition can be more than enough for your needs. For anyone developing strategy games, WMSK will be a better choice.

3.- What platforms will it support? Any specific requirement?

Both WMSK and World Political Map assets can run on mobile, VR and WebGL. However, some features of WMSK may only run properly on desktop due to memory requirements (high resolution textures and complex shaders).

4.- When will it be ready?

We plan to release V1 to the Asset Store at the end of January. After that, we will continue developing it according to your requests and needs. Just drop by kronnect.com to propose new features!

5.- How much will it cost? Will be there a discount for current World Political Map 2D Edition users?

Pricing at launch will be similar to World Political Map 2D Edition. Current customers and anyone purchasing World Political Map 2D Edition will be able to get WMSK for free until released, so it will be a 2x1 purchase during January for new customers.

6.- Is there any beta?

Yes, although only for existing customers of World Political Map 2D Edition so they can decide if stick with 2D Edition or switch to WMSK. Beta versions of WMSK are already being released on kronnect.com.

7.- What if I need a specific feature not currently available?

If the petition is reasonable and fits the asset purpose, we'll develop it. All of our assets are in constant development. However, if you want to dive into code and improve it, we can help you.
    The asset includes 100% source code (C#). It's well documented and structured, so you can easily locate the functionality you want to change or enhance.

We have a dedicated support forum on kronnect.com where we actively discuss any feature or issue and publish incremental releases regularly.

Thank you for your support!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Jamster likes this.
  2. Kronnect

Kronnect

WIP Video #1: "New Scenic Style" with 3D surface and animated water

(Note that all features included in current World Political Map 2D Edition are also available in WMSK, so you have more videos in the 2D Edition asset page).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  3. Kronnect

Kronnect

WIP Video #2 "Cloud layer":

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  4. Kronnect

Kronnect

WIP Video #3 "Fog of War":

5. Kronnect

Kronnect

Beta4 is available for World Political Map customers for free including:

- New Scenic Plus style

The new scenic plus style features high-res textures, animated water with coast foam effect, multi-layered detail and enhanced cloud effects in a next release (cloud effects will float above surface). As a result the size of the package has increased a lot. We hope to reduce its size cleaning and reusing some textures.

- Automatic country labels fading.

Labels will appear/disappear automatically depending on the actual screen size.

- 3D surface with adjustable height.

The demo scene has been updated with a viewport example. Viewport allows you to render the map image onto a different placeholder (our viewports) which can adjust its surface to match the elevation data included in this new beta. As you can see in the demo video, a new slider allows you to control the height amount for the Earth surface.
    We will be updating the scenic plus shader so it supports shadowing and standard illumination that takes advantage of the new 3D surface, so you can produce really nice looking maps for your projects.

More nice features to come!

Please note that this beta is still under development. This means that some features and APIs may be changed or still need improvement.

6. Kronnect

Kronnect

WIP #4 Video "Basic Movements"

WMSK includes a set of APIs designed to add easily your units or resources to the 3D viewport surface. It's compatible with both game objects and sprites and will allow them to show over the surface (you can also add them to the 2D map itself and will be shown flat on top of the surface - ie. they will bend along the surface).

Adding your game objects to the 3D surface allows you to enhance the visual appearance of your game, use PBS lighting, shadows and other effects in Unity.

Once added to the viewport, the asset will automatically control the visibility, scale and orientation, although it won't change the parent of them, making everything even more easier for you. Just instantiate your units and call a function to make them part of the map. That's it!

7. Kronnect

Kronnect

WIP Video #5 "Path Finding"

In this video we demonstrate a practical use of the path finding features included in World Map Strategy Kit based on the A-star algorithm. It can be used in two ways:

- Manually: you can call the API map.FindRoute to get a list of points from one map position to another having into account water and altitude parameters.

- Automatically: assign terrain capabilities to your units and they will choose the optimal path automatically when order to move to a destination.

Beta 11 is also available on kronnect.com. Very soon on the Asset Store!

8. Kronnect

Kronnect

9. Kronnect

Kronnect

These are other video / demos of V1.1, already released on the Asset Store:

Day/night cycle effect:

Paths, lines and circles (this one is cool! :)):

10. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hexagonal Grid feature, available in V1.2:

11. Sentaniel

Sentaniel

Can you make World Map Strategy Kit for Globe Edition? I need all this features but on 3d Globe.

12. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hello Sentaniel,
    We're working on WMSK 1.5 - after that release we'll evaluate the effort to adapt it for the globe. Currently it's a considerable amount of work but if we receive enough demand/requests for it we may do it.
    Cheers.

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

WMSK 2 Beta 1 is out with lot of internal improvements to provide support for country expansion/growth at runtime.

Check the WIP video below:

14. Kronnect

Kronnect

A minor, but important update has been released. I encourage to update if you use Unity 5.5 or experiment any of the related issues:

V2.5.1 includes the following changes:

- API: Added countryRegionHighlightedShape and provinceRegionHighlightedShape
    - Fixed incorrect import settings for elevation map textures
    - Fixed compatibility issues with Unity 5.5
    - Map Editor: fixed province issue when renaming country
    - Map Editor: fixed context menu options not showing up in Unity 5.4.1

15. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!

V3.0 has been submitted with new path finding features!
    Here's a preview of the new modes you will find:

16. Kronnect

Kronnect

V3.0 is now available.

17. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone, with V4.1 now available, here comes a new serie of tutorials for beginners. We hope these video are useful for those who are starting in Unity and are interested in using WMSK for creating their next strategy or world-map based game!

18. Kronnect

Kronnect

19. Kronnect

Kronnect

20. Razputin

Razputin

I can't get this to post on your forums, just keeps saying

An Error Has Occurred!
    CleanTalk: *** Forbidden. Message seems to be spam. ***

Hope it's okay to ask here.

Hello,

Using map.CountryTransferProvinceRegion is causing the camera to zoom out every time. Is this intended? Is there a way to stop it?

Here's a video for reference.

Here's all the code for the transfer that's happening too.

Code (csharp):
    2.  void Update()
    3.     {
    5.         bool inForeignTerritory = false;
    6.         for(int i = 0; i < armiesCountryOfOrigin.provinces.Length; i++)
    7.         {
    8.             if(armiesCountryOfOrigin.provinces[i] == curProvince)
    9.             {
    10.                 return;
    11.             }
    12.             inForeignTerritory = true;
    13.         }
    14.         if(inForeignTerritory)
    15.         {
    16.             if (curProvince.attrib["Sieged"] != true && !isSieging)
    17.             {
    18.                 int countryIndex = map.GetCountryIndex(armiesCountryOfOrigin);
    19.                 int x = curProvince.countryIndex;
    20.                 Country c = map.countries[x];
    21.                 if (Manager.instance.countriesAtWar.Contains(c))
    22.                 {
    23.                     StartCoroutine("SiegeProvince", countryIndex);
    24.                 }
    25.             }
    26.         }
    27.     }
    29.     private bool isSieging = false;
    30.     public IEnumerator SiegeProvince(int countryIndex)
    31.     {
    32.         Debug.Log("Sieged");
    33.         isSieging = true;
    34.         yield return null;
    35.         map.CountryTransferProvinceRegion(countryIndex, curProvince.mainRegion, true);
    36.         curProvince.attrib["Sieged"] = true;
    37.         isSieging = false;
    38.     }
    Additionally, surrounding provinces within a country causes them to lose their color, which you can see in the last few seconds of the video. I have enclaves enabled.

Thanks,
    Adam

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  21. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hello Adam,

The CleanTalk anti-spam filter can be quite strict with first posts, if they have script code or it uses some generic mail provider like gmail. Send me a pm with your username and I'll whitelist it on the forum.

The camera should not move at all when merging countries or provinces. Something else must be moving it.
    For example, add this code to the Update() method of DemoStandAlone.cs script from Demo scene 1 and run it.

Code (CSharp):
    1.             if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.N)) {
    2.                 Region region = map.GetProvince("Huelva", "Spain").mainRegion;
    3.                 map.CountryTransferProvinceRegion(map.GetCountryIndex("Portugal"), region, true);
    4.             }
    Run the scene, move the camera far from Spain and press N key. Now pan to Spain and notice that Huelva province (in the south of Spain) has been merged with Portugal.

22. Razputin

Razputin

Using the code you provided the transfer works fine in your demo scenes, only in my scene does the camera move when transferring provinces.

If I transfer without redrawing it does not move the camera either.

Any idea what might cause it to not work in my scene?

23. Kronnect

Kronnect

Can you post the settings of WMSK?

24. Razputin

Razputin

After messing around for a while I found that having a UI Panel assigned to the WMSK under Window Settings -> UI Panel was causing the issue. That's a bit annoying, I really liked how it stretched to fit the window view when the panel was assigned. Am I using UI Panel wrong? I don't see it anywhere in the documentation.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

25. Kronnect

Kronnect

I've reproduced the issue, thanks. I'll send you an update with the fix.

EDIT: sent.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  26. Razputin

Razputin

Confirmed, works on my end.

Thanks for the quick fix!

Kronnect likes this.