Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Wolfram Language

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uttpd, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Uttpd

Uttpd

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Really..

We don't have a new GUI (or a handful of other USEFUL stuff) and you're wasting time putting in a new language.. ffs Unity...

3. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Pretty sure this is being developed by Wolfram, not Unity themselves...

4. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Unity will still no doubt have to put a bunch of effort in to make it happen.

5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

This has clear value to Unity, by being an early adopter it will give them a big advantage in the educational market. GUI just doesn't have that kind of driver, no one is leaving Unity due to the GUI, the store is full of options to keep them around.

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

And that's the problem. Unity doesn't seem to care about keeping existing users happy, just about pulling in new ones.

7. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Lets just hope they find the time to do at least a bit of both :)

8. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

To be honest, I'm not quite sure how useful this is going to be in a game engine.
    Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic, but I have no idea what to use it for.

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

For creating complex visualisations for educational software (mathematical models are used in biology, chemistry, physics, economics, etc, etc). Educational software is a multi billion dollar market in the US alone.

10. jRocket

jRocket

Where does it say that the Unity guys had anything to do on their part with integrating this in an official way? It sounds like its just another Unity asset, albeit a fairly complicated one and probably not sold on the asset store. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting.

11. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Im going on the assumption that this is a language supplement to the current 3, and will need to be translated into the final build code. TBH, I've got no idea how the Unity build pipeline works though, so it may be trivial.

If it is indeed trivial, or this is not intended as a new integrated scripting language, then my complaints have no worth.

12. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Super excited about this! For hardcore tech artists, this will be an awesome tool.

I thought it was going to be similar to Matlab but this is a whole new level. This will be incredibly useful not just for scientific visualizations, but social games, adjusting the game to real world data, etc. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

13. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

They connect to Unity via COM; UT has nothing to do with all that they're doing.

14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Based on..?

If that were the case I'm sure Unity would be involved in the announcement. And other people have already implemented other languages/language bindings for Unity without UT's involvement anyway.

15. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Based on nothing, hence assumption... durr ;)

16. Dabeh

Dabeh

Patent, IP, Idea stealing and law suit happy Stephen Wolfram will never have me use anything he makes. There was an issue with Matthew Cook Stephen Wolfram, I suggest you read up on it.

I'm curious how a guy like that would like you using his language to make ANYTHING. Wouldn't trust him whatsoever when he sues people or threatens to sue when he has no leg to stand on and is in the wrong. Luckily, the case with Matthew Cook Stephen Wolfram is resolved, Cook won.

In fact, I bet Unity or I will get a report for defamation on this post. I can cite and back up all my claims though, so that's no problem.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I don't get this language, therefore it must be dark magic. But seriously, how does this work? And how does the language know what you want to do? TBH the video was super boring so I didn't stick around, but its interesting stuff.

J_ likes this.
  18. Ro

Ro

COM is Windows only , so not a useful solution for a cross platform development tool.

19. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

I find this very new and scary

Are you kidding? This was like watching Star Trek!

I wonder what sorts of implications this has for AI development - could this lead away from "dumb" characters where you select stuff to say, and back to the era of typing out what you want to say, only this time being properly understood?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  20. dansav

dansav

Will using wolframcore cost money in unity?

21. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

I assume you'll need to pay for it. The language is included in Raspberry Pi's latest linux distro free for non-commercial use.

22. Zeblote

Zeblote

So they have this image on that site

That code on the left
    I can only say 'wat'

Unreadable scripting language ftw

23. GilC

GilC

Here's a video showing a little more info about Unity/Wolfram integration. Skip to about 17:00 to see the actual integration with Unity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi0L4HojoLw

But I am also curious as to why there has been no info from Unity on this, or have I just missed this on the Unity side.

In the first article, it is mentioned that the Wolfram Language would be integrated in a matter of weeks and that was back in March.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  24. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's nothing to do with Unity as a company; it's not their project and it's not really up to them to announce stuff some other company is doing.

--Eric

25. goat

goat

I always wanted to 'play' with Mathematica but of course couldn't justify buying it.

I find this very interesting, say take an architect's plans for sustainable and homegrown bamboo housing plus planting bamboo walls as breakers, the best topographic models, and the best hurricane models could these things be reasonably be merged into a simulation using Unity 5 and Wolfram and a much more awesome computer then I have on my desk to improve the architecture of the bamboo house and building location to protect against hurricane, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, eww, that's already getting to be a long list?

This is why I've asked a couple of times to no avail with this new PBR shading whether or not I can choose a shader by name that makes sense to a layman like me, for example he mentions in the Wolfram article the difference between aluminum, steel, bamboo, spider webs...

It just makes sense to add these type of capabilities.

One thing I didn't read in the article is a Wolfram Data Warehouse and Central Compute Center that you could request computations from for delivery to your app. I think most desktops/smart devices will lack for any meaningful computational power to handle this for another 1/2 decade.

...maybe when new CPU/GPU power is sufficient that 90% of all new computing resources is no longer being used for meshes, shaders, and lighting simulation can improve.

Ah, it is cloud computing and here's another article:

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...anguage_can_he_make_the_world_computable.html

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  26. ippdev

ippdev

This is awesome. I often look at white paper formulae and wonder how to implement something with more than one variable on the left hand side. The special efx that can be done are nearly unlimited. Any kind of sim could be done from fluid dynamics to terrain erosion in real time. Seems whole special rules worlds and universes could be created symbolically..atmospheric scattering, elemental gas ratios, gravitation. spin dynamics. It is a swiss army knife for scientific simulation and calculation.

27. Instability

Instability

I am an applied mathematics PhD student and I use Mathematica (the software in which Wolfram Language is implemented) on a daily basis. I can't tell you guys how excited I am about this!

People asked about the usefulness. For example, if you want to apply machine learning algorithms to train your AI, the algorithms are right at your fingertips with Mathematica. Optimization problems, like finding the shortest path with constraints, become much easier. Mathematica has always had a very organic use of interpolation - you'll never buy a spline controller from the asset store again. Need a Bézier spline for smooth camera movement? Got it. Anything that is governed by mathematics and physics could potentially be simulated - dangling ropes, cloth, water, smoke rubber elasticity etc. are all systems of which Mathematica could perhaps increase the realism. This is not only appealing to educational software, but could increase realism in games in the long run.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  28. paskal007r

paskal007r

I worked with mathemathica too in university, to have it in unity will be amazing. As for AI, neural networks will be a cakewalk, just to cite one. And also heavy data manipulation will be really easy to code, not to mention real-world data access.

As for non-pro: wolfram language understands some commands in plain english.

Which means that some things can be programmed without knowing anything about c#, javascript or boo.

29. Khyrid

Khyrid

So, did this ever happen?

30. wasix

wasix

Curious how it will work with the event system, different objects, etc.

31. thxfoo

thxfoo

Can you please post links if you say such things? A short google search tells a very different story. E.g. Cook did the proof under a NDA (he worked for Wolfram), but he broke that NDA by releasing it before Wolfram published his book. So Wolfram used the law to block Cooks proof for 2 years from publication. You have a different story? Then post sources please.

Edit: If you look what Americans have to sign to get a job (everything and your soul belongs to the company, even if created in your spare time, and that until hell freezes). So Wolfram could probably have blocked it forever if he wanted to.

Edit2: All MS employees can now own the games they create in their spare time, if and only if they are for the windows phone store. No joke. The one exception to the rule. Lucky bastards ;-) Sounds crazy if you aren't an American.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  32. Instability

Instability

Sounds like super early stage. I can't find any official info on ... anything (just Gamasutra and forums). The most basic things are still not clear to me. If Wolfram Language commands like Plot[] or Integrate[] are used, does the end user need a running instance of Mathematica? Or will it be part of the build?

33. Tom163

Tom163

Sorry for reviving an old topic, but I found this searching for solutions to a project. Has anything ever happened in this? There was this announcement and a timeline of "weeks or months" and then - silence.

34. soloneer

soloneer

I keep doing searches every so often to find out, I assume the entire plan is dead. Especially considering the person who said it would be weeks/months no longer works there. Would have been very useful for my own projects.

35. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Maybe we'll get some mono-friendly libraries.

Not that I find integrating wolfram into unity useful for any reason. My CS background from as far back as high school focused on abstraction - not even the programmer cares how something is working as long as it is and there is documentation for when changes need to be made.

What utility will this provide over a specialized educational game that would have to understand the concepts and be able to break them down for the user anyway?

36. Tom163

Tom163

It has every mathematical solution you will ever need built-in.

37. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Sure its cool. But has anyone ever tried to run real time solutions? Last time I used it was at school a few years ago. Unless things have changed, this would be just another math library.

It won't actually do anything faster then current math libraries. Complex fluid dynamics still won't run in real time. Path finding won't be any faster. AI design will still require complex logic and clever hacks.

38. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Sounds like something to add to the "is unity 5 bloated?" topic :p

What is the utility of having every mathematical solution on hand? Sounds like it would eventually degrade my math skills. I reject it.

Apparently a huge one containing every solution we could ever need... even when we don't need 90% of them.

We should just stick to how starcraft 1 did it, because it could calculate >1000 units paths through any terrain instantly. Or, at least it appeared to do so, and it is so old :D

39. Tom163

Tom163

Not everything in every game needs to run in real time. Unity is not a Shoot 'em Up Construction Kit that can make one type of games. In fact, it can make things that are not games. Think outside your own box, please.