Search Unity

Wishes for simple Driving Physics? (w/o Wheel Colliders, mobile dev.)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Dennis_eA, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Hey folks

although I am working on another project at the moment, I also plan to put some of my old projects, concepts and ideas together. Two years ago - with far less experience - I posted this (buggy concept)..

SimpleTrack - Fake Suspension

In addition: Earlier this year I made a script which calculates realistic acceleration, de-acceleration / braking for a car. Messing around with Wheel Colliders (yea -I can't stand them.) and fiddling around with the right drag-value for the rigidbody (and so on) wouldn't be necessary. Screenshot of this particular project:

For testing purposes I did create some graphics for this. Also - based on the RPM value, sound (pitch) is calculated. The use of a torque curve, setting a shift time etc. really can make a simple (looping) engine sound feel realistic. :)
    The math behind all this is actually quite simple (= runs fast!).

And now I'm planning the next step: Making a simple, fast, solid, yet highly customizable driving script!
    One rigidbody per car, one collider, four wheels with a basic (fake) suspension - but NO use of wheelcolliders.

In comparison to Edy's Vehicle Physics my plans are far less complex. I want my project to be a suitable solution for a basic racing game or prototype - with an easy to understand scripting logic. This way it could either be a ready-to-use solution for beginners or an extendable platform (for all the pros.. ha).

I want this thread to serve as a wishlist for everyone interested.

Also you can ask me anything related to my project.

This will be my first contribution to the Asset Store and I really would appreciate any form of input from you.

Thank you. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Still waiting for some input .. :) please

In the meantime, I started on a custom rally car, which will be used for this project.
    It's a concept, designed from scratch but with realistic measurements (wheelbase, width, etc.) and I plan to ship it as a part of this asset.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  3. Rayyan808

Rayyan808

Seems like an interesting project, hopefully it'll be free or affordable once released unlike other Car Physics assets :rolleyes: How is your progress so far? Seems as if you gave up.

4. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Hi! No I didn't give up - but taking a look at the interest-o-meter (this thread) , that was a bit disappointing for me :p
    This is in progress - yes. Do I prioritize other projects at the moment? - Yes ;)

I did however made some small prototypes, wrote some input-code (joystick, keys..etc)..
    AND I continued the rally car :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Jamcount likes this.
  5. GameScience

GameScience

The rally car looks really cool! Kinda reminds me of the Subaru STI.

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I would consider waiting for the drop of U5 before working on a new car physics pack.

There's a bunch of physx changes in the pipeline which could end up making everything you do redundant.

7. Meltdown

Meltdown

I think if you can get a good arcade vehicle physics package working, with Unity 5 support, that it would do really well.

The PhysX 3.3 wheel collider implementation has been shaky at best. I'm in the market for an easy driving, easy drifting physics package for mobile with basic setup parameters, nothing complicated like all the other packages out there.

cl9-2 likes this.
  8. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Hi! :)

I have developed a working driving / drifting physic: With 2D physics (for a top down racer) with some fake 3D stuff (going up ramps etc.). And yes it's actually not too much code, easy to understand, runs stable and it's fast.. So I am happy for now with it :)
    I will now try to include the new Wheel Collider in my system to see how stable this runs. From the Demo (Car) Scene, it seems there IS a huge improvement in Phys 3.3.

I cannot say if and when this will be a buyable asset. In the meantime here is a tip for anyone how tries to develop something similar trying to avoid wheel colliders (new or old). Try to implement your own friction curves using Animation Curves, evaluate through these using local (x) velocity at the wheels or axles.

9. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Please put it in asset store.

10. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

I did not continue working on this (as an asset) for various reasons. There is no plan to release something like it in the next months - I recommend:

Edy’s physics and vehicle pro integration

Randomation (AFAIK the source code is available for the public somewhere now, GitHub??)

I am in a hurry right now, google may help you out

11. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

no.

12. khos

khos

Make a wheel collider/wheel asset that uses soft body physics to simulate real tires / pneumatic pressure and I'll buy it, but that can easily plug into existing games!

13. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

I never developed anything like this (tire (deform.) simulation)

There are a lot of different solutions out there (asset store). Choosing a/any premade asset always leads to compromises because the underlying technique is not optimized for a/your particular game. This is one of the reasons I am not offering my code as a product on the asset store atm + I don’t have the time/resources to offer support/service/advice along with it at the moment.

If you need something very specific I can only recommend to develop a specific individual solution

14. khos

khos

No worries, seems like the holy grail of wheel colliders for something cheap and easy to use. Anyway god luck with your projects!