Search Unity

VoxelWorks - ingame level editor for your Unity Game

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by defaxer, Feb 5, 2016.

1. defaxer

defaxer

Hello! Let me introduce you to VoxelWorks

This have finally happen and my take on unity game runtime editing solution got released to Asset Store

>>LINK<<

(and of cause it's 30% cheaper at launch (few days left)).
    a simplest (and possibly fastest runtime game level editor)

First update is live!

Let me rewrite a post I did 6 years ago :)

Imagine a game project with modding support like user creating new maps right in your game.
    There are projects already doing that, no need to imagine anything. This one does exactly like it sounds creates new levels at runtime, no source code or modtools needed.

With intuitive and user friendly level editor.

I hope it's pretty easy to learn and handle. Docs are included.

With the ability to easily create and distribute content to other users.

Levels are basically text files so it should be easy to implement (no publishing solution atm).

With mobile platforms support.

It can run on mobiles, but real mobile controls are on a roadmap after gaming consoles support.

VoxelWorks will help you in solving this problem.

At some point I was wondering why name it "VoxelWorks"? It was becaming more and more a Game Objects editor like any other runtime editor out there. But demo project includes a level made almost entirely of blocks to show their potential and future additions that are already in the works are aiming to improve that and they're awesome, just stay tuned!

Features
    • VoxelWorks is a simple and easy-to-learn and use level editor.
    • The editor that can be easily modified / adapted to your requirements.
    • Maps can be saved in XML or Binary formats. Binary is coming in future updates.
    • Virtually unlimited map size, with blocks of different sizes and materials are supported.
    • Mass editing block properties using runtime inspector.
    • Runtime Inspector for Game Objects.
    • Works with Asset bundles and Resources folder
    • Environment: sun light, skybox, fog, reflection settings editing.
    • Undo/Redo support.
    TODO
    • Loading external texture files (to customize user map look and atmosphere). With addition of multiple materials usage support this feature might become obsolete.
    • Increase map size limit (now 256x256x256 units with current block size of 3 meters it is 768 meters in every direction). Looking for a way to bring this size up to virtually infinite dimensions. Map size is virtually infinite, negative coordinates are also supported.
    • creating AI right in game (Mesh Navigation etc). NavMesh generation is comming in next updates.
    • Project Examples and content packs to accelerate development. Demo included and will be expanded upon, to demonstrate new possibilities, content, etc.
    • Loading external models in OBJ and potentially FBX formats. No support yet
    • export in OBJ FBX formats. Obj export is coming in nearest update, FBX is in research.
    • Unity editor EditMode support (right now it works in play mode only) saving meshes, creating prefabs. In research, no ETA.
    Notes
    The product requires some programming skills to integrate into your project. It still requires a coder for your project.

If you have any ideas or proposals for the development of this project, please post them here. I'm always ready to hear any feedback

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    blueivy, mgear and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Seems cool. Good work!

3. sokki

sokki

Looks good indeed. Does it have behavior as well? Like AI, enemies, traps and so on? Or this is editor mostly focused for environment?

4. defaxer

defaxer

Initially, it was an editor for my other project, and it has enemies, and traps, basic interactions like triggers or buttons.
    I see no trouble including them here as an example project.
    Right now I'm meditating on some sort of AI navigation, there is no (unity) way to bake a navigation mesh in realtime

5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Remove this requirement and it will be +1 AWESOME and sell more!
    As it is it's just awesome. :)

6. defaxer

defaxer

What if you want to do an RPG or platformer? That means I'll have to do more templates/example projects. ;)
    In fact I'm planning one example project initially and one or two more later.
    But I can't make it super universal example for any case or game genre.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. Pangeli70

Pangeli70

I love the videos. This tool has great potential. Nice work!

8. defaxer

defaxer

Thanks! Gonna add a new video with basic AI working real soon. It's a remake of well known 'Angry Bots' project, I call it 'Angry Droids' :cool:

MD_Reptile likes this.
  9. defaxer

defaxer

Ok finaly here is a bunch of teasers for your attention:

You can link any interactive object like switch, "input console", trigger to any object supporting linking. Basicaly building a basic logic for your map like opening doors, spawning enemies etc. Setting up a basic gameplay is now a simple task.

And this is what you get as a result :)

Battle.gif

saw.gif

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  10. Mindcoord

Mindcoord

Any update on this?

11. defaxer

defaxer

Hey! Sorry, it took me almost half a year to respond) But in fact, there is an update.

I'd say, editor is in active internal alpha stage and is like on its 3rd reincarnation already =) (never do it like that!). I'll put some roadmap later, but just to give you a glimpse on what is going on. This scene here is built only using blocks no objects used:

Screenshot1.png

Few things that have changed:
    • Unity UI interface (I know it's UI Toolkit time, but let's not delay the editor few years more :))
    • Map size is unlimited in both positive and negative directions
    • World supports "voxels" (which are not exactly voxels but whatever) of different sizes separated by layers (3 layers of blocks on this scene: 1m for stairs, 3m for walls, and 12m for background geometry)
    • Object editing was completely rewritten (more details on this later)
    • Environment settings editing, builtin rendering pipeline only, other RPs are planned (also more details on this later)
    • Objects relations and interactions were remade and now are using Reflection and Events for linking, but this is a topic for another post
    More posts coming. Serious stuff. It's 40 bugs/tasks closed this month and 12 to go (for now). Stay in touch
    and wish me luck, it's Ukraine here you know)

Razmot likes this.
  12. defaxer

defaxer

Finally! VoxelWorks is released and available on Asset Store. And to celebrate a launch it's 30% off.

It's been a long ride and I hope a longer one will be with tool's development
    (so much stuff in this roadmap, I'm almost desperate)

Check it out! And leave your questions, comments etc. Feedback is really welcome!

Razmot likes this.
  13. defaxer

defaxer

First update just got live in Asset Store!
    And VoxelWorks is still 30% off!​
    What's new:
    1. Camera points feature. Saves the last editor camera position and keeps 5 favorite camera positions in memory (number can be extended) for current level.
    2. Skybox/Fog/etc effects toggle when not in environment editor. Useful when working and effects just get in a way.
    3. Preview generator new more flexible and expandable architecture.
    4. Menu sub-items proper rendering fix.
    5. Fixed skybox loading bugs when switching between game and editor scenes.
    6. Transform gizmo fixes when position changed in inspector was not updated when dragging.
    7. Demo Main Menu. When no levels in a project play and edit buttons are disabled now.
    8. Object palette maintains snap settings when switching between editors.
    9. Fixed object palette not loading properly when leaving and reentering editor.
    10. Block box selection behavior changed when cursor is over UI.
    11. Tile picker. Fixed deselection when dragging or scrolling window list.
    12. Menubar. Fixed scene name not set to default when creating new scene.
    13. Other smaller bugfixes.
    As usual. Leave your comments, feedback, or questions!

14. defaxer

defaxer

Submitted new small update to Asset store for review, in few days should be live. Mostly fixes as I decided to postpone some stuff I'm working on to properly implement it. Meanwhile here are key points from release notes:
    1. Loading Screen now uses image from level's folder currently being loaded. That means if level folder has loading.png image inside it will be displayed as loading screen.
    2. Console window position and it's null reference bug were fixed. It's a shame this bug got in release, the fix was pretty easy to do.
    3. Save preview toggle functionality fixed. Saving could never be disabled even if toggle was off, so it always updated preview image.
    4. Added toggle to save loading screen. Along with new feature comes a tool to make it work :)
    5. Block faces inspector not updating when all faces were changed.
    6. Fixed bug when it was possible to paint blocks over UI.