Search Unity

[ WIP ] UCC - Create custom morphs and modifications on any model

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Aerozo, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Aerozo

Aerozo

Welcome to the WIP thread for UCC.
    This thread is exclusively for discussing future features and feature requests.
    For the release thread with the current features of the asset, please click here.

Planned Features
    • Weight painting for weights
    • Vertex painting for selections
    • More research into linking meshes (easier clothing support)
    • Blendshape Transformer
    • Gradient Weighter
    • Box Weighter
    User Requests
    • Support for editing individual characters' parameters in the editor
    • A way to keep static items aligned with transformed vertices
    • Joint correction morphs
    • Wobble physics
    • Basic PlayMaker support
    Asset Store Link
    Open in Asset Store

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. EBR

EBR

:D :D :D looks awesome

3. Aerozo

Aerozo

I've added some new features since the original post so I'll update shortly (possibly today).

4. Serinx

Serinx

Wow this looks amazing! Might have to watch this one.

5. LudiKha

LudiKha

Excellent stuff!

6. Aerozo

Aerozo

Update 1

(New) Support for extra overlaid meshes, such as clothes
    (New) Name your morphs and turn them into adjustable parameters!

Serinx likes this.
  7. Aerozo

Aerozo

Mostly code clean up and optimisation since the last update, here is the same system used on a car:

tapticc and Serinx like this.
  8. -Singularity-

-Singularity-

This looks useful - does it work at runtime?

9. thedreamer

thedreamer

WOW.. this is awesome

10. Cherno

Cherno

Looks awesome, I will follow this one :)

11. Aerozo

Aerozo

It's basically meant to be a drop-in character / car / whatever customisation screen that you can use in any game. Right now you have to set up the meshes in the editor before you can transform them at runtime so it won't work on procedural meshes. If there's demand for that sort of thing after it's released then it's something I can add.

P.S. The "Editor Simulation" mode (to be renamed) you see in the gifs is a tool to make it easier to work with, since you can make adjustments and see the results in real-time without having to press the play button over and over again :)

12. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This looks like a cool tool.
    It looks like there is falloff on the vertices but can't say 100% if there is.
    If there isn't - it would be a must for creating morphs and smooth deformations.
    If there is a visual indicator for the falloff on the deforming vertices would be nice.
    See Edit Mesh/Edit Poly - Soft Selection in 3D Max for reference.

13. Aerozo

Aerozo

Hey, thanks for that! I didn't know about Soft Selection.

It's actually very similar but with this one you have the option to tweak the falloff on each axis separately in addition to the overall falloff. Once you've done that, there are separate values for translation, rotation and scale which you can adjust to get the shape you want.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. Aerozo

Aerozo

Just a quick update, I've reworked the whole thing into a modular system and am now submitting it to the Asset Store as a Beta.

I've also made a quick start video as part of the documentation and for anyone who'd like to see how how it works before they buy.

If you'd like a demo video showing any particular changes on any particular models, just let me know and I'll be glad to oblige :D

15. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

So - this is a pretty cool tool.
    Are the values animatable? The question really is - could this tool be used to create run-time animated morphs?
    Example - I'd like to make the ear wiggle back and forth when he plays the happy emote animation, or when he is hit by an enemy. So could I store one or more morphs and key them to create an animated state to trigger when a specific action occurs?

Sorry if I missed this in the videos, but it really didn't point this out to me in simple terms if it was in there. :)

16. Aerozo

Aerozo

No worries, I need to make a better video. The quick start doesn't show half the things you can do with it.

The Asset Store package was rejected so I've added support for animating now. All you'll have to do is make sure that "Live Update In Play Mode" is ticked on the mesh you're animating. That way the modifications on the mesh update every frame instead of on-demand.

I'll try to make a video to show you what I mean over the weekend.

17. pha

pha

This is cool. Now, we don't have to create so many morphs which means less resources comparing to Morph3D.

18. Duffer123

Duffer123

Intriguing. I'd say anything to simplify alteration to humanoid characters and especially clothing / armour is a very good thing. Keep it nice and simple (unlike UMA 2) and I'd have two bland human models (male and female) as prototypes. ..

19. Aerozo

Aerozo

Sorry for the hold up, busy week.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  20. Aerozo

Aerozo

Hey, last time I checked out Morph3D it was using blend shapes which keeps an extra copy of the whole mesh for each morph and then interpolates between them.

UCC is more efficient since you can isolate the vertices you're modifying so you won't have to keep one copy of the mesh for every modification in memory. To make it even better, the next release adds support for baking so once your character is customised you just call bake to free more memory.

One of the reasons this was made was because the UMA system was hard to understand for me. Finding compatible models was a chore too so this system was designed to work with anything you can buy on the Asset Store.

Unfortunately, modelling isn't a strong point of mine but if you (or anyone reading) knows anyone who'd be willing to donate some for demo purposes (fully credited) then please PM me so we can arrange something :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  21. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Aerozo ,

In terms of future developments, anything that helps with skinned meshes, armour and clothing would be magnificent - especially with standardised humanoid figures. Also, ability to alter textures, materials and skin shaders.

The other clincher would be playmaker integration / actions / support. ..

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  22. tapticc

tapticc

Just bought this as UMA was a nightmare and Morph3D is really restrictive, and after a couple of weeks of prototyping different character customisation techniques to work with UFPS I stumbled on this asset. Really excited about its potential, will feed back over the weekend with how I get on with some screenies :)

23. Duffer123

Duffer123

@tapticc ,

That would be useful. ..

24. Recon03

Recon03

looks pretty good, I will watch this for a bit to see how it goes.

25. Aerozo

Aerozo

Skinned meshes, are already supported and so is armour and clothing but the documentation for it is lacking right now since I hope to replace it with something better in the next update.

Texture Customiser will be added around in about 3 updates or once I'm satisfied that the Mesh Customiser has enough features and polish.

Will look into PlayMaker integration further down the line as the API will be a bit up and down for the next few updates.

Hey, thanks for being my first customer! Let me know what's missing for you and I'll do my best to include it over the next few updates :D

tapticc likes this.
  26. tapticc

tapticc

Thanks, runtime sliders to morph between given points is the main pull for me for character customisation with the view to use customised characters in game, massive reduction in assets required.

Looking forward to a weekend of pushing this asset to its full so expect some ideas for new features!

27. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Awesome, I can definitely use this.

28. su-young-jang

su-young-jang

Can be custom mesh in real-time(run-time)?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  29. Aerozo

Aerozo

I replied to you here

30. tapticc

tapticc

Hi, I've created a quick video to show customisation on a UFPS model using UCC. Unfortunately the free version of the screen grab cut off after 30 seconds, serves me right for being tight with money haha.

I would like to see an option to show all nearby vertices so you can tell if you are missing some. Perhaps a second boundary to the current sphere or box selection with an offset so you can fine tune selection. Not knowing where the vertices are means you have to keep resizing or moving the box around to try find them.

Also if you could single click on specific vertices to include them in the selection this would be terrific, as selecting the bridge of the nose was a little tricky without including other vertices.

This is after 10 minutes of playing with the system while watching the tutorial so it is very quick to get results :)

31. tapticc

tapticc

Here's a screenie of Billy, an overweight large nosed cop who should really cut down on the donuts! Really easy to customise meshes, I did wonder if the detail of the pockets and belt would be lost but everything is just working.

32. Aerozo

Aerozo

Check out OBS v0.656, it's what I've used to make the UCC YouTube videos. It takes a bit of time to set up but it's really quick and easy once you get used to it.

If you change the shading mode in the editor to "Shaded Wireframe" it makes life easier:

I'm working on a Transformer that lets you drag vertices around to where you want them to be, once that's done I'll make a Selection Volume that lets you do that too.

In the meantime you can move the weight center or scale the weights till the extra vertices you selected are a dark blue. When they turn that colour they don't move at all and are ignored by the Transformer. Either that or make loads of tiny spheres to select individual vertices.

33. tapticc

tapticc

Thanks for the tips, especially the wireframe view which should help a lot. On the vertex selection it should be easier now I will use the wireframe mode, but knowing the blue vertices will be ignored is really useful info :)

34. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Awesome, saw this on the Asset Store front page and was impressed with how easy it is to define adjustable body parts.

Like many who've asked here, I'd like to see how easy the workflow is at adding more clothes to a character's base mesh, especially with regards to clothes that deform alongside the base mesh.

Some questions:

1. Will your system have something like the character customization in Fallout 4

or Black Desert Online (skip to 0:57)

wherein instead of sliders to adjust body part shapes, the user will click and drag the 3d model itself? I think it's more intuitive.

2. What about decals on characters? (scars, tattoos, wrinkles, etc.) And not just overlaying on the diffuse map of the character, but on the normal map as well (and potentially other maps like the emission map, perhaps, like maybe for some magical glowing tattoos).

I know the features I'm asking about are very complex. I'm just asking if any of it is the direction your plugin will go later on.

Anon32 likes this.
  35. tapticc

tapticc

Hi, from what I have seen the GUI for affecting meshes at runtime can be whatever you like, you just update the parameter value in line with whatever your GUI allows. Sliders are naturally an option as you are ranging from one minimum allowed value to another maximum allowed value, so I don't think the asset itself is really forcing any specific method, hope that helps :)

36. Recon03

Recon03

Does this work on Android at all??

37. Aerozo

Aerozo

Video coming tomorrow!

The final product I have in mind is a cross between Black Desert mesh customisation (i.e. dragging things around) and APB's tattoo system (drag, drop, move and scale tattoos on mesh) since I've found those two to be the most intuitive.

With regards to extra maps I don't have any prototypes that do more than diffuse right now so I can't promise. It's definitely one of the things I've planned to add since the beginning though, since it's kind of silly if your tattoo only affects the diffuse when you have full PBR maps on your character :rolleyes:

It does indeed! I'm uploading a WebGL demo tomorrow so expect a link to an APK while I'm at it too :)

montyfi and AnomalusUndrdog like this.
  38. Recon03

Recon03

Good to know, debating about buying...

39. Aerozo

Aerozo

Video of Modification Linking (a.k.a. how to deform clothing meshes with the main mesh) is now on the UCC YouTube channel.

DISCLAMER: Contains 3D boobs.

Teila and theANMATOR2b like this.
  40. Cdngater

Cdngater

I do have to admit, this video just sold this asset for me. Heading to asset store now to buy it. Thanks

chingwa and hopeful like this.
  41. Aerozo

Aerozo

Thank you for being my 7th customer :D

I'm working on bug fixes and features for 0.2 right now so if you have any problems or suggestions then let me know so I can try to fit them in before submitting.

42. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Awesome! I'm just wondering though, what would be the proper workflow for creating the meshes for customizable characters. If we got a 3d model of a piece of clothing, say, a jacket, that we got from some other character asset in the asset store and we want to make that work for our own customizable character, we'd need to reskin that jacket to our own customizable character first, right?

43. Aerozo

Aerozo

For now you'd have to skin it to your character by yourself but that might change in the future. I came up with a piece of code during my research that can skin a mesh to an already skinned mesh so it's possible it might become a feature once I get on to the more advanced stuff I'd like to add :)

Teila likes this.
  44. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

That feature would make me buy it without hesitation. How many requests do you require to make it happen? :)
    I mean, I would definitely purchase a copy now if it'll be implemented.

Teila likes this.
  45. Duffer123

Duffer123

I second that.!

46. zenGarden

zenGarden

It would be great.
    Why not rigging some clothes to the nearest vertexs of the character with the same weight ?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  47. Aerozo

Aerozo

Hey, so I have some good news for you, it's going to be in the next update :D

It makes sense to put it there since that update is focused on making it easier to work with clothes. It means the update will be delayed a little but I think it will be worth it seeing as it's a pretty cool feature :)

Read response above ^^

That's the plan! Well... a starting point anyways ;)

48. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Yeah, I was thinking, the same way Mecanim allows you to share animations among different characters (especially characters of different proportions), if your plugin can let developers share clothes/costumes/accessories among different characters, or let characters swap different heads/hairdos, with the minimal amount of fuss to get it working, it would be great.

montyfi likes this.
  49. Duffer123

Duffer123

Again, I ++ that too.... ;)

50. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Nice, you just sold another copy :).