Search Unity

[WIP] The Horror Room

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by iamthwee, Dec 23, 2015.

1. iamthwee

iamthwee

Hey boys,

I wanted to do a small wip for a game I would like to present to my sister's bf on a usb pen. It's going to be very basic, but let's see what I can do. I'm hoping to do a one level game FPS /third person puzzle/horror. Will post my ideas after I've put them down on paper.

1c.jpg 1b.jpg 1d.jpg 1e.jpg 1a.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    RavenOfCode and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. iamthwee

iamthwee

Ugh, that's not enough time, but I posted a quick screenshot of one idea so I hope the thread doesn't get locked, which is going to be a water level, the level will always be the same. but you unlock different clues and doors open, the settings change.

I plan to have four/five levels, because this is going to be a very simple game. I'm considering buying blox2 as this is going to be a ridiculous rapid prototype game even for me?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  3. iamthwee

iamthwee

A few more dev shots, tomorrow going to get the gameplay working, opening doors and unlocking secrets :D

Edit added mac screenshots for better quality.
    [removed new game levels]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  4. iamthwee

iamthwee

GAMEPLAY

[Undisclosed]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  5. iamthwee

iamthwee

Today I'm going to work on the door model and textures, add a light model, and a single prop. Figure out how to do a intro screen with keyboard controls, use the unity's text UI to display the levels and score, and code all the gameplay hopefully.

It is simple enough.

Controls:
    WASD - movement
    c- crouch
    spacebar - jump
    e - open door, use
    left mouse click - fire (not sure if I need this)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  6. iamthwee

iamthwee

Quick update, collected all my sound resources, modeled a better door and light fittings -> probably will make these flicker and rotate in the scene, also adding a level text gui at the top, need to hold down alt + shift. Post pictures later.

To do
    -Reorganise folder structure
    -Rename scripts to underscore
    -Get basic level working when open door respawn at beginning of the level.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  7. iamthwee

iamthwee

Added a very simple intro screen, so I know how to load levels.

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class ScriptController : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     // Use this for initialization
    8.     void Start () {
    10.     }
    12.     // Update is called once per frame
    13.     void Update () {
    14.         if (Input.GetKey("return"))
    15.         {
    16.             Application.LoadLevel("main");
    17.         }
    19.     }
    20. }
    23. .....
    27. using UnityEngine;
    28. using UnityEngine.UI;
    29. using System.Collections;
    31. public class LevelController : MonoBehaviour {
    34.     public Text countText;
    35.     private int count;
    36.     // Use this for initialization
    39.     void Start ()
    40.     {
    41.         countText.text = "";
    42.         count = 0;
    43.     }
    45.     // Update is called once per frame
    46.     void Update ()
    47.     {
    48.         count = count + 1;
    49.         countText.text = "Level: " + count.ToString();
    51.     }
    52. }

Need to get the spawn working next and levels.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  8. iamthwee

iamthwee

Quick model of the door, and I added a fish eye effect on the camera :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  9. iamthwee

iamthwee

OK good day's work, so I will almost have a game in two days. Unfortunately, I came a bit unstuck with the scripting, thankfully the forums are a great help. Still need to work out respawning the character at the beginning of the level and ironing out a few bugs, playability issues, so won't be ready for xmas tomorrow but I did try. I reckon one more day should be enough. Logging out hitting the sack now.

P.S if anyone has some tips on shadow quality, I still haven't found a satisfactory solution yet.
    P.P.S if I have time over xmas I'd love to try and create four or five different variety styled games.

About two/three weeks in from picking up unity, not bad ;)

I didn't rate the tank tutorial as I thought it was too difficult but the shell creation one was very useful.

I signed up with an account on media fire so should be able to post windows and mac builds as soon as it is finished!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  10. iamthwee

iamthwee

To do today:
    1. Iron out existing bugs, get level control working, so need to make the character controller a prefab and instantiate him as soon as he reaches the end of each level, consider a few animations and better intro screen.

11. iamthwee

iamthwee

It is taking me literally hours on end to get some simple gameplay. Partly the problem is all the unity answers tend to be for unity 4 and a mixture of js, in addition to major changes in the api, for example simply adding two public audioclips to a script took me hours, to realise you need to add an audio source as wekk, then where to initialise it inside the code, then I've got to iron out the issues with time.delta, and other gameplay bugs or issues - also trying to figure out what inbuilt functions play every frame, or only once per frame. Once I get a good handle of this I'm going to write my snippets, at the moment it seems like hit and miss.

What I did accomplish today was:

Getting the player to move through the corridor and increment the level counter, play and change the scene depending on the level. Pass variable to other scripts or game objects. Animate objects when certain checkpoints have been passed. The game should be finished tomorrow, but I have scripts all over the place and I don't feel it is organised in anyway. But for now it will do.

12. gamegirl1984

gamegirl1984

Kinda sounds like this one Game Teaser I played...... HEHE It was called. P.T

iamthwee likes this.
  13. gamegirl1984

gamegirl1984

So just three week??? Wow! Good luck on your game making!

14. iamthwee

iamthwee

Thanks it should be finished tomorrow, the gameplay and level is very simple but the atmosphere is created with lighting textures and sounds, when I'm more comfortable, I'll probably move to something more advanced :D

15. gamegirl1984

gamegirl1984

Tomorrow?? Sweet! I would love to try it. Did you create all the 3D models and textures yourself??

16. iamthwee

iamthwee

Models, no it is the prefab third person controllers, the room door and objects yes, textures and lighting yes, I did that, I'll post the exe tomorrow.

17. gamegirl1984

gamegirl1984

OK cool!!! Can't wait!

18. gamegirl1984

gamegirl1984

Also, If you have any questions or need help with anything, just ask! I would love to help!

19. iamthwee

iamthwee

Thank you that is so kind of you.

20. iamthwee

iamthwee

Ok, got the different sounds to play on the levels, got the props to move or unlock. Need to fix door open sound bug, add water and the final level. Logging off, with pen and paper and scrap book now.

21. gamegirl1984

gamegirl1984

what kinda sound bug you got??? Maybe I can help?

22. iamthwee

iamthwee

I actually already fixed it lol, I was using getkey() instead of getkeydown(), now it just plays once as intended! Thanks

23. iamthwee

iamthwee

I'm having a bit of a nightmare importing .fbx animations, so will download the latest version of my animating software in hope of fixing. So unfortunately the game will be released tomorrow folks.

All levels are complete except the final room.

24. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Looking good! I don't know if you're using Blender, if you're not I can't help you with the animations. But yes, importing any model/animations into Unity can be a nightmare.

iamthwee likes this.
  25. iamthwee

iamthwee

I think I had a eureka moment, yes I'm using blender, but instead of using fbx which doesn't even play the animations, I'm just importing the blend file. The eureka moment was realising every mesh needs to be parented to a bone, that's why it wasn't importing correctly. I'll test this later today and finish off the final scene.

26. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

If you need some Blender rigging help, I've done rigs heaps of times. :) Let me know if you need anything.
    Your game's looking good. Not saying it's going to be blowing anything out of the water, but it actually is looking better than my first attempt at making something... (My first nearly-complete project ended up buggy and slow! :D I still wish to resurrect it properly someday)

@Whiteleaf: You use blender? Approved! :)

27. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

If you're using a rig you'll have to parent the mesh to rig, and then make your animations(I recommend the Action Editor to do so). Mark the 'F' next to all your clips, and then bake them all. It should show the animations when imported into Unity.

iamthwee likes this.
  28. iamthwee

iamthwee

Hi guys, here is the link, windows exe, 65mb download.

I got bored towards the end but as you can see this is what I came up with over a space of three days, with three weeks experience in total. Let me know what you think? If people are interested I'll do a mac build as well. The first screen takes a few seconds to load so be patient after you hit enter.

29. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Played it, and it was pretty good for a beginner with 3 weeks of experience. Better than what I was doing at 3 weeks...still trying to make a multiplayer FPS with stolen textures and premade models. My scripts were barebones and barely work.

iamthwee likes this.
  30. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Any chance you can do a Linux build too? :D

31. iamthwee

iamthwee

Sure are you on 64bit or 32?

@Whiteleaf, yeah it was pretty rough around the edges, with a bit more time you could incorporate better puzzles and fright scares. But I'm putting this one on the shelf, in favour of a racing game which should be complete within three days, I'll keep you posted :D

BTW what level did you get to?

32. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Racing game? Sounds good. :) And my install's 64-bit

iamthwee likes this.
  33. iamthwee

iamthwee

OK give me ten minutes and I'll upload a build.

You can find details of the racing car idea here, but I still have to put some artwork and ideas hopefully should be done in an hour.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wip-car-racing-game.376351/

34. iamthwee

iamthwee

Here's the linux link

To run it you need to right click on the 86_64 file and tick the make executable box, then you should be able to double click it to run.
    Or cd into the directory from the terminal and do a chmod a+x or chmod 755. Looking forward to hear your feedback

35. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

XD I know this already.
    Anyway, will let you know how the linux one runs. (I can play the windows version, I asked for a linux one so I could test OpenGL... :D)

EDIT: Huh, the linux build's smaller, there's a typical thing for you... :D

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  36. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

A question; I do like mediafire most times, but is there a chance you can use Google Drive? I had a couple of issues downloading through chrome... :D (Like, 0Bps for no good reason... that only seems to happen with mediafire links)

37. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I got to level 6, not sure if that was the last level but I got stuck in that room.

38. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok... looks like the windows build keeps crashing on game start. Looks like I'll have to use the linux build! :D

39. iamthwee

iamthwee

Not sure what the problem could be for windows, I built it for 32bit so should work if you're using 64bit, is it windows 7 or 8? What specs are you running on. The game takes a little while to load so you have to be patient, when you hit the enter key you have to wait. Maybe start it inside a small window instead of full screen.

Linux xubuntu worked out of the box, the game takes about 10 secs to load -but this is on a notebook with a crappy processor. Not sure although some distros you have to install other dependencies, perhaps I already had them installed anyway?

Yeah pretty pathetic ending lol, but in time I'm sure I can add more polish

40. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Specs:
    OS: Windows 10 64-bit (Also running Ubuntu in 16GB partition)
    CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel Core i3
    GPU: Intel HD 3000
    RAM: 4GB

(Yea, old School laptop from 2012, that's the reason for the odd specs... :D)

And the game crashes as soon as I hit enter on the main menu.

41. iamthwee

iamthwee

I don't know, maybe if I built it for 64bit, or took some of the flashy graphics out, but alas, I'm on a capped internet usage, so won't be uploading anymore builds :( Guess you'll have to just be content with look at my screenshots and imagining the gameplay, to be fair it's nothing special you're missing out on :D

42. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, I was able to boot into Ubuntu and play from there. :)

Several things:
    + The model animations are actually quite good.
    + The shadows look absolutely amazing on my end. I've noticed you posting about having issues with shadow quality... maybe you're using a really old GPU that can't do better shadows?
    + Some parts were quite weird, like the "she's waiting for you..." That could be taken in so many ways... :rolleyes::p
    - How come you simply run through hallways? Probably not too big a gripe, as it's your first game. :)
    - Like @Whiteleaf, I was stuck in the last room as well, but then again, not too big a gripe, as it's only your first attempt. :)
    - Windowed mode didn't work on Linux. (Odd bugs with the window coming up as a bar, etc... :D)

Overall, it's looking like you're getting the hang of things. Good luck with the racer you're building. :)
    And yep... gameplay's not much to miss out on. :D Still good for your first effort. I would suggest toning down some of the image effects, as they made the screen a bit blurry...

EDIT: Also, you don't have to use 64-bit for windows 64-bit, the 64-bit options more there for games with massive amounts of assets (> 3GB) to load.

43. iamthwee

iamthwee

Thanks for the critique, I had a lot more puzzles planned but some of them were too hard, so I just kinda made it so you run through and get to the end. The idea of starting at the beginning each time, is of course taken from playable teaser, also it reduces file size, one level, lots of gameplay ;)

Shame windowed mode doesn't work, what version of linux are you using?

It's good to know the graphics look great, to be fair I did go OTT with it, I got a duststorm playing in the background, and numerous filters on the camera. If I was to do it again, I'd have in the start screen an option to disable these effects before you play the game.

I learned a lot for sure in three days. Gameplay could be worked upon, but like I said three days you're pressed for time.

44. iamthwee

iamthwee

Howdy boys,

After a bit of thought, I was thinking why go off on a tangent and make other games. Let's just concentrate on one game and improve it. So that is what I'm doing... as this game in my opinion a great start. I'm going to use my own rigged model instead and do a few custom animations instead of unity's built in prefab. The girl is going to be my new protagonist, so will put together a few animations, after I've retopo'ed the mesh. Then build in a great story, maybe give her a gun, slowly polishing the game off.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Whiteleaf likes this.
  45. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I don't remember what game it is, but she looks a lot like a kid from named Ellie. I think it's like the Last of Us or something, I don't remember.

iamthwee likes this.
  46. iamthwee

iamthwee

Thanks,

Started working on a few props...(click to enlarge.) Going to work on rigging a simple mesh first and figuring out how to cut sounds clips I've download of youtube inside blender.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  47. iamthwee

iamthwee

Whiteleaf likes this.
  48. iamthwee

iamthwee

Playing with the skin shader and started working on a riggable gun? Not sure about the gun yet :D

gun.jpg

49. iamthwee

iamthwee

Ok so made a few adjustments to the skin shader and reduced her eyelashes, bit strange for a 13/14 year to be rocking that much mascara. Removed

Aiursrage2k and Whiteleaf like this.
  50. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Skin shader looks really good, nice job!

iamthwee likes this.