Search Unity

[WIP] Texture Editor Inside Unity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by BrkTbn, Jun 29, 2016.

1. BrkTbn

BrkTbn

Hi, I am Burak Taban and I am developing a mini image editor inside Unity, to speed up texture creation and experimentation process. The most powerful side of the extension is that it supports viewing, editing and/or inverting each channel individually. For example; it is possible to increase contrast of red and green channels, while leaving blue and alpha channels as they are. It is also possible to hide any channel you want, and save the texture without that channel. Extracting the alpha channel of a normal map as a grayscale texture and things like that are also possible. Operations I am thinking of including are contrast, brightness, blur, noise, scaling, tiling, merging (lerping), and grayscale operations. It's in the middle of the development stage, nearly halfway done. I want to hear the community's opinions on it. The screenshot I included does not represent the final graphical user interface of course. I also want to know if there are any other operations you want to see in this extension.

ImageEditor2.png

And of course, when I feel comfortable with it, I will upload a video showing its basics.

Thanks,
    Burak

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. neoshaman

neoshaman

That's cool I wanted to make something like that, but not to draw, to be able to render and test pixel program.

Add channel splitting and swapping for when shader use different channel packing options, that would be super handy. For example when one shader pack occlusion with the normal alpha while other one packed it with the diffuse. Also because I have never figure out how to add stuff in paint program within the alpha channel without destroying the other channel lol!

3. BrkTbn

BrkTbn

Exactly. What you are talking about, different kinds of channel packing, is one of the main reasons why I am making this. I always do things like extracting the alpha channel of a normal map as grayscale or inserting grayscale texture in normal map's alpha channel, therefore I think doing it without leaving Unity would be fast and efficient. Thanks for your comment, I will keep that in mind.