Search Unity

TIGERS OF STEEL || DESERT MAP ||

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Pulov, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Pulov

Pulov

Hi all

news:Tokyo Shibuya map is almost finished. The prototyphe phase is coming to and en and the campaign preparation is going to start really soon.

CLICK FOR FULL HD SCREENSHOT.
    screenshot update 31-03-2015

screenshot update 03-02-2015
    Tigers_01_log.jpg

It is an early prototype so expect things missing, repetitive sounds, effects etc..

Vote and share if you like it and feel free to share what you don't.

Comments are welcome!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Justice0Juic3 and John3D like this.
  2. BGIndustries

BGIndustries

Prototype? This is amazing! This looks like a complete game, keep up the awesome work! Maybe you should add players to have them enter/exit the tanks! :)

3. randomperson42

randomperson42

Looks great.
    I think the biggest thing that could be improved visually would be the particles - specifically the ones coming out the barrel of the gun.

4. Pulov

Pulov

Hi, Thank you all.

Deffinetly particle effects are in my todo list. I've not ussed much the particle system till now so I yet do not master but I want to modify the acual explosions too because I dont like them at all, the downside is that these things seem to eat a lot of resources so I'll have to keep the particle number under control

I'll be updating this thread with new stuff as it it comes out the production chain.

And yeah, p`layers coming otu the tank, but this is a whole new story! I would love too, have to say.

randomperson42 likes this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

A couple minor critiques - (I was on the M551A1 Sheridan and the Bradley when I was in the army)

The control of the tank looks very smooth and floaty at the moment. In reality those massive hunks of metal jerk and lurch and jolt and shake and rattle and bounce. Needless to say it's a rough ride. It would add some nice realism if you could add that to the movement and controls.
    Also there isn't any noticeable recoil of the tank body when the main gun fires. Even with the extremely heavy abrams there is recoil of the tank body. Check video of the sheridan :) The main gun was 152mm and would raise the body of the tank off the ground back to it's 3rd road wheel!

Adding some corresponding tank tread sound effects for movement and pivoting would be nice too.

6. Pulov

Pulov

Thanks for your coments!. Noted. I'll translate these for sure to next demo.

Yeah, certainly it is ultrasmooth. That said modern units seem to have quite good suspensions, giving a look to these vids from Anna news in Sirya still on T72, with turret gopros, the ride seems quite smooth, but obviously not as much as in the demo, I'll correct this.

Recoil also for the T90 seems quite whell absorved as for real videos, but will increase as I agree it is not too noticeable.

Tank thread and reload sounds are on its way :). Tank thread marks are on its way too.

In a couple of wheeks I'll release more stuff.

I'll start working on new environment soon, Cargo Harbour, while I polish details commented in previous posts and the ones I've noted.

Also next video will be featuring IFV units such as could be the Bradley or the BMP, have to choose whitch ones jumps to scene, probably the bradley as now I used a rus tank so is time to switch side :). For these to have a chance in the game will be the ones equiped with AT while the main gun would be used for wiping out other IFV's. May be enough rounds could disable or kill a tank, unrealistic but I think would be interesting for the gameplay.

Thanks all for your comments.

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Your correct about the absorption of the main gun recoil on very heavy tanks, though in our business it's common practice to over emphasize certain visual queues and items of interest to make it 'feel' alive and right.

Not to complicate things to the nth degree but it would be very cool to see mounted small caliber guns aside the main gun munitions with troops to use the machine guns against.

Not sure about the T90 - though I believe the abrams has a small caliber machine gun mounted. The Sheridan I was on had a belt fed mounted m240 which would mow down opposing troop forces if needed in addition to the cupola mounted 50 cal, which was controlled by the tank commander.
    Anyway,, keep at it - and I'd suggest saving the particle work til last because I've learned playing with particles is a very good way spend 4 hours on a 2 hour update. :)

8. Pulov

Pulov

FLYCAM DEMO
    Hi all, if you want to surf trough the scenario featured in teh vid now you can, there are some new assets waiting to be properly integrated, flickering things etc... its about 80% of completion.

/DEMO REMOVED, VISIT FIRST POST
    If anyones whants to try with the DK2 it will be soon available in the oculush share.

ENJOY.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  9. Pulov

Pulov

Hey!

Playable demo!.

I could not make into the demo all the request, for the next I'll put more!. I've been quite busy. Now the driving is polished witch was one of the biggest flaws pushing me back from a public demo.

/////////////////

/DEMO REMOVED, VISIT FIRST POST
    /////////////////

WASD, W & S increase or decrease speed with each hit.

X handbrake.
    QE & ZC Provide aditional turning behaviors.

AIMING & FIRING

(keyboard+Mouse)

R Canon camera + mouse wheel for zooming.

Shift Free aiming mode. Use the 3D sphere gizmo as the aiming reference ( Please provide feedback on this aiming mode)

Shift (while in free mode) lock turret to forward position.

E Spoter zoom (needs fixing!)

V Switch betwen Kinetic & High Explosive rounds

Mouse but 1 Fire!

Mouse but 2 Camera orbit

Mouse Wheel Move camera, move close enough for turret camera.

Space bar Lock target while pressed is pressed finetune your aiming by moving the mouse.

OTHERS

INTRO Respawn. When you get fried, stuck, struggling or are being masacred to death hit intro and be respawned at origin and take your revenge.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  10. Pulov

Pulov

Updated graphics for future demos:
    Tigers_01_log.jpg

Tigers_02_log.jpg

Tigers_03_log.jpg
    Tigers_06_log.jpg

11. leoarmstead

leoarmstead

this looks interesting, will it have a story line?

12. Pulov

Pulov

Hi leoarmstead.

It wont be a superguided game like the single player versions of BF or COD, but yes will be a basic progression line.

You'll unlock levels as you progress. As well you'll unlock vehicles. But basically you'll be wipping out the scenery of enemy units.

ATM I'm quite busy polishing the behavior and finishing the art so have not put too much into there yet.

13. Pulov

Pulov

BTR and other wheeled IFVs are on its way :)

Tigers_09_log.jpg

14. Pulov

Pulov

working on the desert map too

Tigers_12.jpg

15. killerwol

killerwol

16. Pulov

Pulov

randomperson42 likes this.
  17. Pulov

Pulov

Download is available!

Check first post.

18. Pulov

Pulov

Messing with incoming stuff. Ignore engine noise...

19. Pulov

Pulov

Messing with thermal optics.

Still wome work to do but really happy, it will end up really whell, need to do some scripts but will come into release in the modern tank units.

Thermal_2.png

Thermal.png

20. Pulov

Pulov

Imagen 5.png
    Imagen 7.png
    Imagen 9.png
    Imagen8.png

Thermal Vision done.

21. Pulov

Pulov

22. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Your game/demo looking good. I just purchased the chobi package as well. Can you tell us what other asset store packages you used?

Have you considered how you might incorporate multi-player with chobi's package?

iByte

23. Pulov

Pulov

This is mainly Chobi's package, I modified the code extensively witch is a pain when updating:(

For the multiplayer I've no clue yet because I've had no time to focus on this. May be Bolt would be the fastest way, but as I said did not yet tested. Chobi did some test on this with Photon with no luck so this is no good news as he masters C as you'll see in the code, but this was many cycles ago. I saw this on a youtube conversation. I've no news on multiplayer testing by Chobi might be working on it might not and if you ask migh answer and might not, but I can assure he will answer any technical issue you're having that you prove you're struggling on it.

24. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Thanks. I sent him some message but he did not reply yet. I will look into using Forge or Bolt.

For destruction are you writing your own code?

25. Pulov

Pulov

no its a destruction asset ,but you wont be able to implement into the game without heavy modification or you will kill the performance. The dev takes weeks to answer or no answer so better forget unless you're ready to code to get it fluent. I would consider instead the animation destruction that imports animated physycs witch should be quite performance friendly. Not tested.

26. ibyte

ibyte

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  27. l0cke

l0cke

Hmm, this "prototype" looks better than 99,99 percent of finished Unity games.

28. Pulov

Pulov

Dude l0cke, thank you! the next and final prototype is coming supercharged, I'm working really hard to pack it with all the stuff I missed to include in the previous ones.

29. Pulov

Pulov

SOLDIER SIDE ALMOST FINISHED. Sold_01.jpg Sold_03.jpg Sold_02.jpg Sold_04.jpg Sold_05.jpg

30. Pulov

Pulov

Hi all.
    Later today I'll be updating the thread with the stuff I've been working on. I've bring unity4 pretty much to its limits with crashes in baking etc, sure my not yet optimized scene did my part but I'm very satissfied with the ressults. I hope they release at least their prototype or unity 64bits no matter if comes without asset store etc it would be a blast because moving a project to u5 is not trivial and lots of changes are required.

I'll probably change the code name of the prototype to something more adecuate as I feel very confortable with playable soldiers so it wont be just tanks. I'll be closing the prototype phase sin one to two weeks and start preparing the campaign.

Sneak peak of what is coming later today.These are shots taken directly from unity editor, I'll make better captures later.

shibuya_01.jpg

shibuya_02.jpg

shibuya_00.jpg

31. Pulov

Pulov

Some high resolution shots. I just realized that I forgot the traffic signs among other details disabled, also the weapon flashlight has wrong material, player too dark.... there is always something. I'm rebaking now so cant rebuild, It will take a bit longer to have a flood of screens :p.

Let me know what you think or if you see any issue.

Imagen 16.png
    Imagen 20.jpg
    Imagen 19.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  32. l0cke

l0cke

Even if you have the most unoptimized scene under the sun, engine shouldnt crash. Slow yes, crash never.

Unity crashes in bigger projects (baking, runtime, umbra...) are well known and reported for ages since Unity 2.0. Unity is full of memory leaks (and because of concept c++/mono/.net very hard to fix). For small projects (vast majority of Unity projects) no problem at all, for big projects it can be even show stopper. Try to have asset library bigger than 20GB and make complex scenes and fun starts. Out of box Unity without any custom code (!!!) will crash 5x per minute no matter of HW, OS... Our level designers, who were working on out of box Unity without any custom code, were so frustrated, they started to speak about leaving our company. We had to leave Unity beacuse of this and we are never coming back. We converted our scenes and problem solved. No crashes, far better performance. On Unity we spent 80 percent of developement time to workaround Unity crashes, during last 3 years on new engine it was 0%.

This is reason, why you dont see almost any "big/heavy" games on Unity. 64 bit edition is not solution to this problem, it is only postponing it little bit. And Unity team is pragmatic, it does not make any sense to fix bugs related to big projects, because it is 0,0001% of their customers and they leave soon anyway, or try to implement heavy workarounds with custom memory management like virtual texture streaming, or buy source licence and try to fix in house. Unity is great tool for small games and prototyping, but if you are doing serious staff like you are now doing, it would make sense to look somewhere else.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  33. Pulov

Pulov

Ahh men I had already started to think about this. Dude, today when I finally managed to bake THE THING, I had the windows profiler on sight to see if I could sneak som Mb of ram to make the baking without crash. And the trick was to:

Have all the selections made and saved in a selection management tool.

Focused the camera into a blank space of the scene, save, and close unity.

When opening back, recall the selections and dont move the camera, so , the geoemtry does not load into memory and do the baking and save, as I move the cam into the geometry the ram goes up and up to teh point it wont let you bake any longer. Duuuude very profesional environment. Ejem...

Can I ask where did you move?. Because Unity 5 for sure is not the place I want to see myself any close in time, people is booby trapped in the eternally precouputing GI solution, despite today something interesting showed up in the WIP thread.

I did a couple of bakes more to test some settings. I'll post a couple of shots more but not the flood I whanted. No time to make a vid as I have to move for a couple of days etc so the vid could take some days.

There are so many things that piss me about U.. The long they took to implement LODs.. duude this is a game engine!
    The brokeng navmeshes in terrains due to trees, having to delete them, bake navmesh undo to bring back treess.. this kind of cheesy stuff.

But the good is that it makes game dev accesible.... and for micro teams like mine, this is a big, I mean, A BIG , plus.

34. Pulov

Pulov

Take shelter! screenshot flood
    Imagen 29.jpg Imagen 31.jpg Imagen 33.jpg Imagen 34.jpg

35. Pulov

Pulov

36. Pulov

Pulov

37. l0cke

l0cke

Check Unity plugin Amplify, I think it would be something worthy of looking for this project. And it solves memory problems with texture loading, also your memory budget will be lower and constant. Plus you can have as much detail as you want.

38. S-P-A-C-E-D

S-P-A-C-E-D

It seems as though you used the NONECG Shibuya map for this. Regardless, it looks amazing! If you did how did you get it to import into unity with all the textures assigned to the materials? Also is it legal to release the game with real ads? Sounds like a silly question, but people don't just put coke in their game, they use fake names to avoid copyrights and trademarks.

39. Pulov

Pulov

Yes I tested amplify and its an awesome plugin, pretty easy to implement in a few clicks. Thanks anyway.

Yep its None's model, licensed, of course. I wont take the time to fake any adds featured that where captured in street,this is a prototype phase, if it goes further I'll change them if necesary after consulting legal restrictions, not a big problem just a matter of time that I preffer to focus on other stuff. Importing and moving and optimizing the monster model into realtime has been a nightmare, and there is a lot to improve yet but for now I'm happy. I'll extend the model if I can raise fund for the project by extending to the bus station, the 109 surroundings and limiting with nearby highways and adding some detailed landmarks.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  40. Pulov

Pulov

Video update, its quite extense but as it has been quite a lot of time since last vide there it goes. There are a couple of noticeable issues in teh vid witch are already corrected, further the vid merges footages of different versions of the scene etc...

Walkthrough the Tokyo map plus the soldier gameplay with TPS and FPS view, machinegun and RPG and some dull enemies scattered here and there.

I'll be posting news soon as lot has changed since the original idea, the prototype is very close to its completion.

enjoy

41. Pulov

Pulov

DESERT MAP
    Desert_Map_2.jpg

Desert_Map_3.jpg