Search Unity

[WIP] Solar Ascension - TwinStick Space Shooter Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by furibaito, Apr 21, 2015.

?

What level system suits best for the game?

1. Stages system

50.0%
  2. Survival system

50.0%
  1. furibaito

furibaito

DEVELOPMENT PREVIEW VIDEO

INTRODUCTION - The game and the creator.

Hello, wonderful community.

I'm Furibaito (real name : Steven, 18) from Indonesia and would like to preview my first 'serious' game project. The game is TwinStick shooter like in geometry wars or alike but mixed with realistic environment (Space) and many inspired on Japanese SHMUP games. This game would launch to Android (First, around June/July), iOS (If Indiegogo campaign would reach over $2000 to buy me a Mac and license), and PC (Steam, probably at the late 2015. Would not like to displease the Master Race). The game has been in development from December 2014.

In the game, you take control of a space ship. Able to move in any direction in 2D plane. While shooting with your weapons in any direction. A wave of enemies appears. They got harder periodically. And as you advances, you will discover new kinds of enemies. At some point you may fail to withstand and got #rekt by the swarm. But you got your in-game currency, Solarite. You could use them to upgrade your ship, buy a new one, buy new weapons, unlock new powerups, and so on.

Powerups comes from randomly traveling Cache enemy. The powerups are divided into 3 categories.
    • Restorations - Healing and defensive powerups.
    • Devastations - Offensive and damaging ppowerups.
    • Transformations - Utilities.
    Although not implemented, all ships will have their Active skill unique.

THE TEAM - Who made the game?
    The project made by myself. Programming and visual effects are made by me (I used some explosion textures from the asset store though). And I also used some free resources on the internet. Some notable examples are the musics. I used CC-BY music from ccMixter for the game. And for the sprites, I take part-by-part from Kenney.nl space ships parts and construct them into all of the sprites currently available in the game.

Game budget : $0

ENEMIES - The bad guys
    Here is a short description of the enemies.
    • Crawler - Small, weak, come in big numbers. Will chase you all the time.
    • Winge - Medium sized, slow, and goes wandering around the map. It can shoots a few bullets to you.
    • Charga - Wanders around while shooting bullets, after a few seconds it could run into berserk mode then charges at you dealing tons of damage.
    • Exaworm - They are made by small parts forming a worm. It will chase you and may encircle you. If you destroy them in the middle, they may split into two individual new worms.
    • Aktina - The big guy that fires one big laser beam. It will rotates the beam to hit you.
    • Hassle - Fast and quite small. At some point it will stops and fires bullets and missiles at you. Not available in the video due to bad sprite! Would update the sprite in the future.
    • Krillio - Big and moves quite fast. Constantly fires missiles. At some point it would expand its wings to fire photons from the wings. Deadly from afar!
    • Gundar - It will wanders around and search for a good space to deploy. After deploying, it can't move but constantly fires heavy bullets at you.
    • Triost - Huge, slow, something like mini-boss. It can spin while shooting a lot of bullets and photons in 3 direction. At some point it would enter berserk mode, extracting huge firepower at all directions.
    • Dipole - Small and come in big numbers. They will first try to crash at you, then they spins while shooting microphotons.
    • Dicellion - They would wanders around shooting microphotons at you, then they stops, and fires 2 big laser beams while rotating slowly. Scary in big numbers!
    Sorry I could not provide each with images yet, but you can see all of them (except Hassle) in the video above. And the list would still grows from here.

WEAPONS AND POWERUPS - Stuffs that would help you!
    Currently, only weapons and restorations powerups are made.
    Current weapons list :
    • Pulse Gun - The starting weapon. Fires weak bullets but at high fire rate.]
    • Triway Gun - Fires small bullets in 3 direction.
    • Energy Mortar - Firex explosive bullets. Dealing low AoE damage.
    • Plasma Gun - Slower than pulse gun, but deals more damage and could penetrate enemies.
    • Micro Photon Launcher - Swarms microphotons at the direction. They deal moderate damage and moves randomly.
    • Pulse Minigun - The starting weapon has evolved to the strongest weapon! Fires heavy bullets at extremely high fire rate.
    • Energy Artillery - Energy mortar with enchanced bullets.
    • Pentaway Gun - Fires bullets in 5 directions
    • Seeker Launcher - Homing mmissiles.
    • Plasma Megarifle - Advanced plasma gun, dealing tons of damage and penetrates enemies.
    The list would still grow and I need you guys idea for a new weapon!
    Current restorations list :
    • Heal - Heals you instantly 40 HP.
    • Recovery - Over 5 seconds, regenerate a total of 100 HPO. Cancels if damaged by an enemy.
    • Lifesteal - Over 10 seconds you heal 10% of your damage dealt.
    Thats all, please gives me idea for a new powerup! For other category like devastation or transformations are also needed.

FEEDBACK NEEDED!
    Please give your feedback in this thread. Or you can contact me furibaito@gmail.com

I need your thoughts :
    • What would you guys think the best 'Level system' for the game? With stages or one infinite survival? With stages,when player beat stage 1, they get Solarite then unlocks stage 2 and so on. Note that wave system still apllies to stages system. So like stage 1 have 5 waves, stage 2 have 10 waves, etc. With survival, player get solarite based on their score and how far they have reached. If they want to play again, they will start at the wave 1.
    • Please give out enemies, weapons, or powerups ideas! And also player ships. Remember that player ships each have their unique passive and active skill.
    • Of course, your general thoughts of the game! Feel free to criticize!
    • Also, I planned to run a Crowdfunding campaign. I'm from Indonesia and apparently Kickstarter did not support my country. So only IndieGogo the way to go. Any tips on running the campaign?
    THANK YOU!
    [Obligatory sorry for my bad english here]