Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Murgilod

Murgilod

It really needs some AO or something. Right now everything is really really flat.

2. TRALLALAL

TRALLALAL

Implemented this before, AI looks for closest cover when the player is in its field of view.

3. tubbz0r

tubbz0r

Hey guys! We are currently working on PvP Arena spells in-game, here I have managed to get a healing spell to work nicely :) All art are temporary of course.

winkan likes this.
  4. shahan

shahan

I need help with my game, I've tried making a thread, maybe this will be better.
    I'm pretty new to unity. I want to be able to get the rotating "bullet/petals" to fire off. So on left click, it unparents and shoots of in the direction it was facing in that instance.
    a "demo" can be played here: http://sia.github.io/testGame/ restart button in the top left

here is my code applied to bullet that's [0] in the array. and i think it is applied to all the other bullets... which.. might be the problem. hmmm
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. #pragma strict
    2. var speed = 2;
    3. var i = 0;
    4. var speedForChange: int;
    5. var parentOfBullets: GameObject;
    6. var bullet1 : GameObject;
    7. var allChildren = parentOfBullets.GetComponentsInChildren(Transform);
    9. function Start () {
    11. }
    13. function Update () {
    14.     var rotvar = speedForChange * Time.deltaTime;
    17.     for (var child : Transform in allChildren) {
    18.         // do whatever with child transform here
    19.         child.transform.Rotate(Vector3.up * rotvar, Space.World);
    20.     }
    22.         if(Input.GetMouseButton(0)){
    23.         allChildren[i].transform.parent = null;
    24.         allChildren[i].transform.Rotate(0,0,0);
    25.         allChildren[i].transform.Translate(Vector3.right * (Time.deltaTime*10), Space.World);
    26.         //allChildren[i].transform.position = transform.forward * speed * Time.deltaTime;
    27.         }
    28.         if(Input.GetMouseButton(2)){
    29.         allChildren[i+1].transform.parent = null;
    30.         allChildren[i+1].transform.Rotate(0,0,0);
    31.         allChildren[i+1].transform.Translate(Vector3.right * (Time.deltaTime*10), Space.World);
    32.         }
    34.     }

5. gallenwolf

gallenwolf

Gentleman Johnson, marserMD and mgear like this.
  6. Wheathn

Wheathn

My MegaMan X fangame.
    (I'm stuck at getting connections without Hamachi)

7. NiloBR

NiloBR

8. NiloBR

NiloBR

My implementation on a behavior tree plugin, heavily inspired by Behave 2.0.
    If u don't know about behavior trees, is that thing that makes your life easier when dealing with AI. U should read about it... very cool stuff.

beehive.png

9. gallenwolf

gallenwolf

Hey NiloBR,
    I didn't optimize them, and lots of stuff was brute-forced. Performance will definitely run much better if it was properly coded. HTHs!

10. NiloBR

NiloBR

cool... would be great to have some of those effects running on our games... if u take your time to optimize them i'm sure it would be a nice package to the asset store...

11. tubbz0r

tubbz0r

We've got a new one! Spells and buffs are now working over the network!

12. Niko_las

Niko_las

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    jdelaay025 likes this.
  13. chrisall76

chrisall76

14. SeriousTangents

SeriousTangents

I'm nearing the final stages of development for my first Unity3D based video game: Pesky Humans.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to implement the video sequences for the story line animations, but the gameplay itself is pretty solid. With the success of my first Kickstarter on this game, I'll have the funds necessary to start the Steam Greenlight process too. :)

15. WeHeartGames

WeHeartGames

This past weekend I participated in #PegJam2014. I have been working in the game dev field for several years, but strictly as an artist. This is my first attempt at making my own game, and even at programming. I made a small runner where you run through an office, dodging walls and high-fiving other office workers.

The game jam was a great experience, and I plan to finish up the game and publish it on various platforms.

Play the game.

Full blog post about the development of the game (including time-lapse video).

PS I also posted a question about the high-five animation in another thread, if anyone has any ideas about that.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  16. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

TankerWars.png Took a break from my main project to reset the thinker.
    Started making the mechanics for a little side scrolling tank arena game.
    A/D - left/right
    Shift - Boost
    Mouse - aim
    Mouse 0 - Fire

Webplayer

Still needs some GUI elements, The blocks are destructible.
    Next up is netcode, and weapon changing/powerups.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  17. angelo90

angelo90

My first (or 15th attempt) on a 2d sidescroller game :p
    here's the videos:
    Update 1:

update 2:

GarBenjamin likes this.
  18. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

Testing out vortex's, a launch-able utility round. It has some... interesting side effects.
    Webplayer

GarBenjamin and GibTreaty like this.
  19. carking1996

carking1996

Did I post this here? I don't think I did.

We've changed the scope of the Arrow Blocks a bit. Adding gameplay mechanics that speed up the game, making use of the Arrow Blocks and their different types in more of a game-used way. Combining effects is even possible!

indiedb.com/games/arrow

GibTreaty likes this.
  20. Squabbler

Squabbler

I've been working on a Weapons System for my game (dubbed Project Corona for now), and currently have four weapon types created:
    • Standard: basic machine gun
    • Shotgun: same as standard, but in a spread and slower shooting
    • Charge: think megaman, hold fire to charge up the shot
    • Seismic: this is pretty much the same idea that the Unreal Tournament shock rifle uses
    • Homing: (still to be done)
    The player will have access to all the gun types from the start, but the game is going to also allow the player to find different types of ammo for each weapon (E.G. Standard shot, Fire shot, Ice shot, Poison shot, etc) that will be a permanent pickup (think materia from FF7 - I guess lol). The ammo types will also interact with each other, such as using ice to freeze an enemy followed by a shock shot to shatter the ice. This, I'm hoping, will give multiple ways to approach problems, enemies, bosses, etc.

So far, the demo contains just the different weapon types functioning properly. Also, the art is just random sprites from the net as fillers, nothing of mine.

Project Corona Weapon System Test

GarBenjamin likes this.
  21. JimboFBX

JimboFBX

I posted this in the collaboration forum, but the admin has been asleep at the wheel or something because I don't see anything in there since last week and I'm on a tight timeline for this:

-----

VRCade, a start-up in Seattle, has a contest to showcase their VR tech. It's full room wireless. I haven't personally used it but I plan on visiting it on Friday to try it out firsthand. Eventual plan is to publish this as an Oculus demo after the event ends.

Company info:
    https://www.facebook.com/VRCADE

Contest info:
    http://nightmaremachinevr.com/developers/game-jams/

I'd like to help create an experience. I figure this is a great opportunity for myself and others to dig into a small, realistically achievable project that should be pretty cool. I'm doing this an open source project, which you can find on github here:

https://github.com/JamesHutchison/VRCade_Nightmare_Machine

Note that I haven't tried making a Unity project on github before so we'll see how this goes. Current stage is to just come up with a script for the scene and what will happen.

Thanks, and I look forward to your help!

-James

22. chrisall76

chrisall76

23. welby

welby

Love the menus. clean and easy to follow. Really hearkens back to the classic RPG days.

24. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

I've been thinking about my bombs and arrows again. I'm really not sure if they fit with my game. I want to do something well and not half-assed. So what are your thoughts? Do bow and arrows add something to the game?

http://bit.ly/100orcs

Right Mouse to shoot the bow. Left Shift to throw a bomb.

25. welby

welby

I'm cool with bows and bombs( maybe make them powder kegs as opposed to pirate cannonball things) .
    having only a sword will get boring, imho.

I'd definitely speed up swinging though,..seems sluggish.

Especially when you run out of Bows/Bombs. Which would be nice if they somehow re-spawned so I can replenish them.

cheers!

26. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Thanks for your thoughts Welby. powder kegs eh? That's fair :). There will defiantly be a respawn of the bow and bombs. I've just got to figure out how to do this.

27. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Eh, didn't know this thread existed.

Working on a first person shooter.

- Everything's server authoritative. I've played way too many hacker-filled rounds of Halo 4 to just throw in Photon and hope for the best. So I'm using Bolt instead. I've written server authoritative netcode implementations before (the last two chapters of my book deal with the subject), but it's a nice change to have middleware to do it for me. There's obviously still some exploits (players can speedhack by supplying input commands at a faster rate to the server, ESP is still possible, aimbot, etc but things like wallhacking, noclipping, instant one hit kills, infinite health, infinite ammo, etc are not possible as that is all tracked serverside)
    - The movement code is ported over from Quake 3. This is what allows me to circle-jump over to the opponent as you can see above (circle jumping makes you go pretty damn fast ;))

28. Jamietomp

Jamietomp

Hi, I just got Unity and this is the first forum thread I saw to do with game development, I was wondering if anyone could maybe give me like some tips or something on how to use it? Or link me to guides? My life dream has always been to be a video game developer or journalist and now with Unity, I can start that dream, I'm only 14 (don't hate) but I have loved video games ever since I played my first. As a first, I don't want to try and make anything too big or challenging, I don't want to be bold, I just want to try and make something like a smaller, simpler game, examples like fez, super meat boy, even like the amazing Rayman, just something like that, can somebody help? or is this the wrong thread for that kind of thing?

29. smitchell

smitchell

Yeah this is the wrong thread to post. This is for showing small work.

But anyways, you'll want to watch the tutorials unity provide: http://unity3d.com/learn

Also the games you meantioned are definitely not small. You won't be able to make a game to the standard of them for at least 3 years.

30. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Wow. I can see many people's definition of small projects is very different from mine. Many of these look like they are for a modern day commercial game.

31. Jamietomp

Jamietomp

3 years? Wow, either games are harder to make than I imagined,or this software is extremely complicated and intricate,is there any kind of games that take less time?i just want to do this to get some experience and for fun,I'm not looking to properly release a game and have it sold and stuff.

32. smitchell

smitchell

well.. that depends on a lot of things, I tend to exaggerate but I'd say it took me around 3 years before I started working for studios commercially on games.

Games are definitely hard to make, but that's not why it'd take so long. It takes years to perfect a game. And a game like fez has a fairly complex mechanic, it'd take a little while to get that working perfectly. You could make a game like SMB or FEZ etc quicker but it wouldn't be any ware near the quality of them.

Game engines are always fairly intricate, unity would be the nicest to a inexperienced beginner, unity is essentially designed for beginners so you'll pick up the basics pretty quickly.

of course, tons of them. You're a newbie so your mind is only going to think about cloning games for now; eventually you'll come up with original ideas. but cloning is great as a beginner because you'll learn mechanics. People tend to start with things like flappy bird, angry birds etc. there are tons of tutorials on these small games.

33. Jamietomp

Jamietomp

Thanks man :) I'm not too bothered about working for a studio,I just want to try and makes game for fun,and for the experience,I wanted to start small and then make bigger games,but it sounds hard so I will probably just stick to trying to make small game,but if I ever do manage to successfully make a working game, I'll have no idea what to do then.

34. Jamietomp

Jamietomp

I know this thread is for games in progress, and I am making a game, just I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get some good looking backgrounds and scenery and sprites, that sort of stuff, I'm no good with art or photoshop so I cant make them, I was wondering if there was somewhere I could get them from or get them made?

35. SkyYurt

SkyYurt

Working on a math game for the Android devices.

36. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Hey that is a great start! I only drank 8 beers but at least they were cold. ;)

Now for my input. And keep in mind this is just my opinion here.

A great game should let the player have some early victories and the difficulty should then scale up becoming more and more challenging.

When I played the game, I started thinking "geesh how long is this freaking level?".

I am not sure if there is only the one level or if there are more levels to play?

Anyway what I would do is...

1. Make several levels.
    2. The first level should be relatively short.
      For this game, I would say something the player can complete in about 20 to 30 seconds.
      Basically, just keep the level you have up to, but not including, the first falling purple platform.
    3. The next level should be a little longer. Not much. Maybe another 5 seconds longer than the first.
      But this time start out with your normal solid platforms and then about half way through the level introduce the falling purple platforms.
    4. The third level make about 5 seconds longer again and about halfway through introduce the other falling platform type.
    I realize I am probably breaking the whole design idea of a runner kind of game but, like I said, this is just my opinion.
    I think having multiple levels and gradually scaling up the difficulty would make people try again.

Players need to feel the success that comes from actually completing something and that first short level gives them that. Then they get it again from completing the second level plus the falling platform type was introduced. This makes players think "hmm... I wonder what else will appear if I keep going" which also encourages them to try again.

If you don't want to change the design from one huge scrolling level then you will need to incorporate the above in another way.

Perhaps every 5 beers collected the player can get a medal.
    Maybe "thirsty drinker" for the first 5. "Casual drinker" when they get 10. And so forth.

I also want to say those are some excellent graphics and animation!

37. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It's interesting for sure but stretching fingers from the Z key to the M key makes control very difficult. At least for me.

38. welby

welby

this is awesome,..we've come along way since math games an Apple2/e ,..hehe
    If I had kids I'd definitely give'em this.

Once I got used to the gravity I got better. I agree with ramping up new elements and difficulty as you go too.

I think what you need, for what you asked,..is some form of online leaderboard and possibly Facebook integration that you can post your best runs. Unfortunately, I have yet to delve into that side,..but use those keywords + unity3d to google search. I believe there are plug-ins and such.

cheers!

39. TheValar

TheValar

made a cool new camera system today. Inspired by the camera in the Lego games.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  40. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

For 2D sprites, I would HIGHLY recommend you look at http://www.openstockproject.com. The guy that owns that site is a freelance graphic designer. He also recently made a site for open-source music and sounds at http://www.zippytracks.com. Everything you get from either openstockproject or zippytracks is free to use for any use, including commercial use. In fact, for the game I'm currently working on, litterally, every single thing you see in the game, I got from openstockproject. Even the background music was from zippytracks! I really like these two sites. However, the last I heard zippytracks is still under construction, so they don't have much in the way of content yet, but it's still worth a look through. For much more advanced graphics and textures, I would suggest going to http://www.cgtextures.com and make an account there. Feel free to ask me anything you want, Jamietomp and I will gladly answer. Believe it or not, I am new to Unity3D and scripting as well, so we're not that different. Furthermore, you're 14, I just turned 17 and I want to make small games like Flappy Bird, too, but unlike you, I want to make money off of my works.

-- Chris

41. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

I really like the graphics! You have an interesting camera system going on there, too! And by Lego games, do you mean games like the Lego Star Wars, or others? I haven't played many Lego games, but I have played one Lego Star Wars (don't ask me which one!), but I can't say I remember this kind of camera system in it. Also, is this 2 players we see here, or is it 1 player with a NPC?

-- Chris

42. TheValar

TheValar

Yes I am referring to "those" Lego games. I'm not sure the first one to implement it but I know it was in Lego Lord of the Rings and possibly Lego Harry Potter. Definitely wasn't in the original Star Wars ones that came out (must be the one you have played). In answer to your last question it's actually neither. It's 2 "characters" controlled by a single "player". You can play the game demo from the WIP thread in my sig :)

43. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

Where did you get those graphics from or did you make them yourself? If they're open-source, I might use some of them in a future project.

-- Chris

44. TheValar

TheValar

I drew them myself so no luck on the open source. If you're interested in open source graphics though I highly recommend opengameart.org

45. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

I got the graphics I'm using for the game I'm currently working on from openstockproject.com and I really like openstockproject better than opengameart, but I have looked at that site. I looked at your dwarf game and it looks great! Did you work on it alone or did you have a team and how long did it take you to make that game?

-- Chris

46. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

Little teaser video of games state.

Blue Bean Apps and GarBenjamin like this.
  47. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Here's a very basic demo of a little retro-style platform game I am building.

Play it in your web browser here:

The goal is to collect all of the treasures. There is more to the actual game than just collecting the treasures but that is all I have done at this point.

There is not much to the game yet but your comments are certainly welcome. Keep in mind, I am not an artist or musician. I do my best on that side but I put much greater focus on the game-play and interaction. Basically I just want to make an old school style game but pay attention to the details to bring it alive more.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  48. Ollie_Loney

Ollie_Loney

GarBenjamin likes this.
  49. AceSV

AceSV

Greetings. I am Ace the SuperVillain, and I make beat 'em up games. Now it is Unity's turn to witness my wrath:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2j6datcoo22ct7z/BrawlerDemo.zip?dl=0

This is my first time really doing anything in Unity, so I'm taking it slow and just getting a feel for it. The demo is mainly movement based for now, with a bunch of little non-traditional things that I thought would add to the experience. It's a little glitchy here and there, but a very promising start.

Arrow Keys move the character. As with 2.5D beat 'em ups, you can only face right or left, but you are free to move sideways. There is a delay when turning to face the opposite direction. You can double tap up or down to quickly leap in that direction. If you double tap left/right away from the direction you are facing, you will leap backwards. If you double tap left/right towards the direction you are facing, you can run forwards while holding down the directional key.

Press the F button to jump. Hold F to build up jumping strength and release F to do the jump. If you press F while runnng, you will jump forward immediately.

Press the D button to kick. The attacking feature is not really fully implemented yet, but it will destroy the boxes that are lying around.

Play in the water to see some fun particle effects.

The level is supposed to reload when you reach the goal area at the end, but it just freezes up. This works fine in Unity Play or EXE, but not in Web Player. grrrrrrrrrr. EDIT: Ah, so you need LoadLevelAsync instead of LoadLevel.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    Blue Bean Apps likes this.
  50. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

The game I'm working on is based on Flappy Bird, but by playing it, you wouldn't really know that, but I got the general idea from Flappy Bird. The development name is "Swimmy," but I don't intend to release the final build with that cheap name! Here are some in-game screenshots:
    Screenshot1.png
    Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot3.png
    Now this is all I've got so far... I don't even have a title screen, yet! I have the general gameplay down, which is the main concept of the game. You play as the yellow fish and move up and down with either the up and down arrow keys or the s and w letter keys and have to dodge the hooks. I intend to add more obstacles to dodge, such as rocks along the seabed or shipwrecks and I'll add more decorations along the seabed to make it more visually appealing. I'm still working on the Best Time score, so that's why it's blank in these screenshots. This is currently my second week on this game and it's my first game! Yay!

Pretty soon, I will hope to upload a video of the gameplay to YouTube if I don't run into too many problems. I will also add more screenshots (I will try to add at least one new screenshot daily or every other day, at the LEAST once a week to this forum). Feel free to tell me what you think!

By the way, I have set the release date for the beta version for late September, but I'm not making any promises since this is my first game, so I'm bound to run into more problems along the way. I hope to have some sort of demo out by the end of this week or maybe into next week; we'll just have to see. When the beta release is out, you will be the first to know! By the way, I have always been horrible when it comes to naming things, I feel bad for my future kids! So does anyone have a better name for this game, preferably other than "Swim" or "The Fish?" Thanks!

-- Chris

GarBenjamin likes this.