Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. darkeyes

darkeyes

NomadKing likes this.
  2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Nice work here... are you using Marvelous Designer for the clothes? One thing that stands out, don't use a pitch black background... use a range like 13,13,13. Black backgrounds take away from the details on your models.

3. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

So, in my latest - and completely successful - livestream, I show off how I go about working on my pixel art!

Twitch.tv Highlight

(Pixel art starts at about 43:00; the part before that is mechanical design.)

Thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    Deleted User and NomadKing like this.
  4. darkeyes

darkeyes

Thanks!
    Yep, just got started with Marvelous Designer - lots to learn about pattern drafting.
    Cheers for the tip on the black background. With try it out on my next renders :)

KRGraphics likes this.
  5. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Ive been working on the Logo. How do you think its looking. Its a real pain to texture, but I'm still working at it.

I think its a little washed out. But i cannot just keep adding details. Its got to be finished eventually

So better? worse than original?

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Marvelous Designer is definitely a great program to design clothes. I can't wait until they add symmetry

darkeyes likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Have not watched your Livestream yet but I certainly plan too! I am all about some Pixel art :p

Will you be making more pixel art vids?

8. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Yeah. The line art animations for the player character (and some enemies) are probably going to be done offline for the most part, but since people (you, Lachadonan) seem interested in the art side, I might do more pixel art in future streams. Just give me a follow on Twitch and YouTube.

Deleted User and NomadKing like this.
  9. HolBol

HolBol

Just doodling today. Not really for anything.

NomadKing likes this.
  10. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

sexy and you know it!

11. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

NomadKing likes this.
  12. marcos

marcos

30 mins:

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  13. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 8.27.14 PM.png
    Just migrated from a rectangle to a little cute thing. :)

14. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Ooh, he found a friend...

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 8.50.01 PM.png

Ony likes this.
  15. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Botanika, darkeyes and NomadKing like this.
  16. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Nice try, clearly a photo of someones Grandfather photoshopped in.

17. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Been working on the project I started during my last livestream. In addition to adding in some of the stuff from the quasi-abandoned JRPG project, I made some new Health and Mana bits!

sara-1.png

NomadKing likes this.
  18. HolBol

HolBol

Practicing making environment stuff. Can never figure out how I'm supposed to texture stuff. I'll add bumps and normals and decals next.

19. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Had a successful game dev livestream last night, despite my being stupid with Git earlier in the day and nuking much of my changes. All the code was written a mere 30 minutes before I broadcasted, and the pixel art and particles were created live on camera.

20. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Good S***, but personally not a fan of the 3D level art, doesn't work for me.

21. HolBol

HolBol

A quick update again:

bump and specmaps applied, and a shader for the glass that lets you keep the alpha and spec separate. And some default asset trees.

22. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Out of curiosity - what exactly do you not like about it? I know the textures on the 3D level blocks are low-rez for the time being (in fact, they're strictly temporary.) Is it the style that puts you off? Is it the mix of 2D and 3D? Is it merely personal taste? I'm curious, please explain your thoughts in more detail, it could be helpful to me.

23. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I think it's just the fact that it's cubes that look sort of Minecraft-ish, and don't fit the overall style. If you have gone for a more Cave Story 3D look, I think it'd look 10x better.

24. HolBol

HolBol

And here's yet another picture. I'm going to add some more wooden platforms outside and in the break up the features a little.

NomadKing likes this.
  25. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

New tutorial on my channel, if you're interested on how to make high quality, realistic terrains and bring them into Unity(using World Machine) then check it out. Part two is soon.

Murgilod and NomadKing like this.
  26. virror

virror

Nice, using World Machine and more tutorials are always nice : )

27. HolBol

HolBol

Yay for the transparency sorting error. It's annoying because I want to polish these up and asset store them, but with that transparency glitch I don't want to release it.

28. janpec

janpec

Ah very nice. Gets me sad to see such nice skin render as Skyshop cant be used with dynamic sky. Ah.

29. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Part two is live.

NomadKing likes this.
  30. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Thanks for posting the tutorials Khelton! I've been considering looking into World Machine.

Here's part of an asset I've been working on that I'm hoping to finish up and get up on the store soon!

darkeyes and NomadKing like this.
  31. Aedous

Aedous

Just being messing around with Unity 4.6, loving the UI stuff at the moment!

The animated version is on the thread here

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    Not_Sure and NomadKing like this.
  32. Wicked-Cat

Wicked-Cat

Here is the model we have been working on: the Nova Space Fighter.

The package will include four different textures:
    - Black
    - Silver
    - Gold
    - Red

20.jpg

Ony, NomadKing and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  33. HolBol

HolBol

Buildings, buildings.

NomadKing likes this.
  34. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Bumped up the poly count on the soldiers. What do you guys think?

35. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I may do something similar in the coming days.

36. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Ohhh people...I have something evilfun for you to test!

This is a prototype of a level for my new project, Sara the Shieldmage. In it, your goal is to get to the treasure chest and back to the entrance. Can you do it in one go?

Controls:
    A: Left
    D: Right
    F: Enter spellcasting mode/Cast Spell
    X: Cancel casting
    Z/Left Mouse: Interact with object

Right now there is only one spell: Summon Block. It summons a block that fades after about five seconds. I've not implemented any other spells or mechanics yet. The main thing I want to ask from this is - does this idea of a mage whose gameplay relies around summoning objects have any potential that you can see?

Additionally, all the work is WIP art, but since this is the art thread, I have a few questions...
    1. What should I do to Sara's animations to make them look better? (Other than add color, I'm not doing that yet.)
    2. What should I do to the Summoned Block to make it look better?
    3. Anything else you can think of? (Other than, the blocks look like Minecraft, already heard that one, but it's not going to change in the short-term. Long-term, I have plans.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  37. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Hey Asvarduil,

I made it on the first try. The magic box summon mechanic reminds me a lot of Trine. If you haven't already tried that game you should check it out for some inspiration. They do some fun things with it.

1 - I am no animator, but I kinda think the walking animation could use an extra frame or two somewhere in there. To me it almost looks like you are missing the "passing pose".

2 - I think the summoned block would read better if the designs on it were a little more simplified. I get where you're going with the magical looking symbols . . . maybe just make them larger. Just looks a little busy right now, especially since you can see through to the design on the other sides of the box.

3 - There is something awkward that kinda ruins the flow of controlling the character having to hit f and then again to activate the spell. I think maybe using some thing like a shift key so you can still have your fingers on the movement controls and then clicking the mouse button to drop the box seems would feel more natural to me.

I'm really interested to see where this goes! Keep up the good work!

38. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Vertex - great feedback!

So, a question - right now, in spellcasting mode, movement is sealed completely, until you cancel the spell with X, or hit F to complete the spell. Just so that I'm fully clear, would casting mode apply only while Shift is down? What's more, should the player have the ability to move while readying a spell?

The reason I'm sealing movement now, is I intend to implement some directional 'casting' animation, so that while readying the spell, you can see Sara chanting. Just a nice bit of visual feedback, mostly.

Of course, if this is not detrimental to the flow of using Sara's magic, then by not adding it, I'm dodging a bullet. What would you suggest?

Note: I had actually asked a question the day before yesterday on how best to do the magic system in General - I'm glad it resembles Trine, because the suggestion I went with was noted by the person who suggested it to be like the setup used in Trine. So, I'm glad I'm on the right track!

39. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

It is probably just a weird preference of mine. For me it is fine if the character is locked in place. There is just something awkward about taking my finger off the movement controls to do something that is part of the platforming and then immediately putting them back on.

Either way is probably fine. :)

40. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

starting the textures now

VertexFiend likes this.
  41. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Hey Lachadonan

The texture is coming along nicely. I think the high contrast color scheme you've got going will read a lot better for a top down RTS type game like you're making.

I would love to see him in one of your environments to get the full effect! o_O

42. Mister-D

Mister-D

43. Mister-D

Mister-D

ive put the character in unity, im going for the film noir look :) alleningame.jpg

darkeyes, NomadKing and Zomby138 like this.
  44. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

There's not enough brown.

45. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Funny that you are working on a platform like game now :p I was also working on an RPG like you but also "abandoned it" (temporarily) for a sidescrolling game ;) Mine is completely 2D though, will be showing it off as soon as it has more that the current placeholder graphics.

46. HolBol

HolBol

last one to add. I might add an extra decal material layer to break up some of the bricks and concrete. I still worry about how many materials is okay to use.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  47. Howard-Day

Howard-Day

Finished the missile locking system and the Power management systems! Here you can see me quickly locking onto a Dfhertas and ripping off a Phoenix heatseeker. Just before it hits, I manage to lock on and fire a Cyclops Image Recognition missile as well. Then I fiddle with power distribution to Engines, Shields, and Guns.

kingseyb, dogzerx2, Ony and 7 others like this.
  48. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

How do you make these fantastic looking explosions?

NomadKing likes this.
  49. Archania

Archania

Howard love the ui! Reminds me wing commander. Beautiful

50. GooseNinja

GooseNinja

Well that looks amazing. Well done!