Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Correct. I agree. However, in the case of a perfectly clean coating of paint, it will be indistinguishable from any other material. With high gloss, it will perhaps seem like plastic, or concrete, or really any material.

The only way to show that it is metal is probably to throw some rivets or bolts here and there, and show some signs that its been weathered and repainted. Short of that, I'm stumped what the visual difference between metal and any other smooth surface would be with a layer of paint over the top of it.

2. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

That also looks like concrete to me, with a thin layer of ice from the weather.

3. Billy4184

Billy4184

@Master-Frog I agree with you that to be perfectly realistic painted metal is pretty much indistiguishable from plastic - but I think that there are some stylized materials that sort of blend bare metal and paint that can look very nice in certain contexts - especially scifi where there isn't a real reference point. I don't think the mass effect material looks like concrete, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you if it was bare metal or painted, and I don't think it matters all that much. At least to me it looks great and has a lot of character.

Many times in video games suggestion is more important than realism, from what I've seen.

Master-Frog likes this.
  4. Billy4184

Billy4184

Quick and dirty scifi corridor mainly for checking out some materials, rendered in subst designer ...

Screenshot.png

5. Takkik

Takkik

thanks iamthwee & FloHal.

new rock test with substance (tilling x2) :
    takkik_stoneA002_001.jpg
    takkik_stoneA002_002.jpg

with alternate random seed : takkik_stoneA002_003.jpg

Not_Sure, Whiteleaf and Billy4184 like this.
  6. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'll try not to keep spamming the thread, but I thought this turned out allright ...

RustyMetal.png

Lu3DLC and Master-Frog like this.
  7. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

I wanted to make something quick and different, so I made this random, neon retro-type texture in about an hour:

screen_2000x4000_2016-08-21_16-45-31.png

NiloBR, _M_S_D_, Lu3DLC and 2 others like this.
  8. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

that looks pretty badass liking it!

9. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

so here's Bob the Frog Creature with a small idle animation. Turns out I'm having some small issues with the eyes, no big deal XD anyway, what do you guys think so far?

Whiteleaf likes this.
  10. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Looks awesome, may I ask what type of game will he be in or is it just for practice?

11. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

Thanks and well actually, I was going to put it up on the Asset Store, but also, going to use it later on in a game where you're in a post apocalyptic city where demons spawn everywhere. You have to survive a certain time frame, but I'm still working on the idea though. I'll probably post something once I get something done on it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  12. Billy4184

Billy4184

Quick floor, took about 1hr all up but probably should have been half that ... gotta speed up a bit

ScifiFloor.png

13. Billy4184

Billy4184

Alien Isolation in Unity ...

InUnity.png

Lu3DLC and Whiteleaf like this.
  14. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hell's kitchen, Unity style ...

Screenshot.png

15. zugsoft

zugsoft

Superbe

16. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Looks good, nice work! The skybox looks badass. Did you make it with Designer?

The asteroids look a bit off, though. Their textures are really bland at the moment, and they don't really read as rock. I'd suggest replacing their textures and getting a proper, sharp normal map as well as an AO map on them.

17. Billy4184

Billy4184

The skybox was made with Spacescape, planet was made procedurally in designer using the tri-planar shader node.

LavaPlanet.png

I rendered the planet in Blender with a transparent background and pasted it onto the skybox in gimp - the clouds being that way was a happy accident!

Yeah the asteroids need work, it's literally just a random texture from textures.com thrown on with a couple of craters added.

Thanks for the feedback!

Lu3DLC and TheAlmightyPixel like this.
  18. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Awesome, thanks for the breakdown!

Finally got some more time to work on the robot dude. The low poly is now done, with the model is currently sitting at 38,020 triangles.

I've spent the last few hours trying to come up with a fool-proof way of mirroring my UV's, and I came up with a really fast method of doing so. Here's a render of the low poly model with a dirty normal map. The UV's are horrible at the moment, but I just wanted to see if my geo is good for baking.

I'm really happy with the bake, even with crappy UV's. There are some obvious artifacts in it though, which will most likely fixed with a good UV map.

I had already made the low poly for the rifle as well, but I encountered so many problems due to bad design decisions and my own laziness while unwrapping it that I decided to redo the rifle after I'm done with the robot.

Lu3DLC and Billy4184 like this.
  19. YourDownfall

YourDownfall

Currently finalizing a free door asset for the Store ;-)

Lu3DLC and iamthwee like this.
  20. 3dDude

3dDude

Been working for a while on some fire particle effects for the Asset Store. I love all the features in Shrunken!
    Asset Store link

If anyone is interested, I love to talk particles/effects, I learned a lot in the process of making the pack! :)

Rombie, Lu3DLC and TheAlmightyPixel like this.
  21. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Looks lovely, great work!

Did you use any flipbooks or shaders for the fire? I've been trying to tackle making fire particles for a while now but it's really difficult to achieve the turbulence and fade of real fire without using pre-made textures.

22. 3dDude

3dDude

Thanks!

I agree it is quite challenging to make convincing fire. This pack has been in the works for around 8 months, so a lot of experimentation went into the techniques I used!

all of the effects in the pack rely on some sort of animation on the particle textures. Trying to capture too much of the movement of the flames in the particle texture itself is a slippery slope though. Once you start animating the textures the file size of the particle textures skyrockets. Because of this almost all of the effects use a combination of animated particle textures and carefully tweaked particle settings to get the right movement.

All of the source material for my textures I recorded from real fires in my back yard. I wrote a program in java which greatly speeds up the workflow of taking a video of fire and converting it into the rows/columns animation that Unity uses for particles.

Another thing to note is that almost all of the effects in the pack use some combination of particles and meshes with animated/scrolling textures. When I first started work on the pack I was using only particles, and it was really hard to make some effects look right. For instance the bases of fires generally are much more controlled and move much smoother, so I used a mesh with a scrolling texture for the fire base which gives the whole fire a much smoother appearance.

Long story short, I would recommend using some combination of meshes and animated particle textures. However just try to avoid having the entirety of the effect be a flip book animation.

Hope some of this rambling is useful! :)

Cheers,
    Ian

Billy4184 and TheAlmightyPixel like this.
  23. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Thanks a lot for the info!

Did you face any problems when capturing the fire with a camera? Fire does have some transparency and refraction due to the heat, so did you have to do lots of manual processing to afterwards?

I definitely agree on the filesize of flipbooks. What I had in mind at one point was a shader which would use noise to displace a fire texture and slowly fade it out, but I'm not sure if that's the best approach. I might try making one at some point, but I'll try and finish my current projects first.

24. 3dDude

3dDude

I didn't experience much issue. I was recoding at night so the background was mostly black. Having a better quality camera would have made it much easier though.

Hmm, that's an interesting approach!

25. clearrose

clearrose

Hi, guys it's been months since i've posted here. Also haven't been working on any projects lately, I even kind felt like i was in a rut artistically. So i'm trying to get back into unity to break myself go this. But I have a have question for you fellow artists. Should i continue with the project i was last working or should I start a new with something else??

Option 1: Finnish previous project.

Previous Project:

Option 2: Start a new.

Should I work on maybe an emviroment pack for the asset store? Or make a suggestion.

Thanks in advance for your help and any advice is appreciated.

Lu3DLC likes this.
  26. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

that looks amazing! mesa liike!

BTW guys, sorry it's been a little while but here's also an update on Sergy's (known before as Bob) the Frog Creatures walk cycle. Also, it's a little slow at the moment, but I'll be fixing that in a few:

Lemme know what you guys think!

27. Helicity

Helicity

I made some tree sprites for my work-in-progress platformer.

Oh, and here is a process pic:

Buhlaine, marcos, NiloBR and 6 others like this.
  28. Mister-D

Mister-D

ghoul update wip
    screen2.jpg

Kona, zugsoft and Helicity like this.
  29. 3dDude

3dDude

Been working all day on a new technique for the oil fire effect in Ian's Fire Pack, pretty happy with the result.

Any questions, let me know :)

Cheers

Billy4184 likes this.
  30. Billy4184

Billy4184

Wow, looks great! Is that normal mapped?

31. 3dDude

3dDude

Thanks! All of the lighting is in the texture. I would love to incorporate lighting/normals into the particle shader but I'm no shader guru unfortunately. :/

What I'm really happy about with this technique is by using looping animations, and mixing and matching fire and smoke in the particle shader itself, I can get away with only 24 frames of animation on the particle texture for the entire 12 second lifetime of the individual particles. Essentially cutting down the texture size by a factor of 8!

Billy4184 likes this.
  32. Helicity

Helicity

This week I redid my player sprite and started animating it, I also gave him some personality via a selection of expressions.

bettergallery.png

Kona and TheAlmightyPixel like this.
  33. iamthwee

iamthwee

Another quick update just fleshing out the gameplay for the time being, might be a good idea to use a version of @YourDownfall 's door

Loving all the horror halloween artwork guys :)

34. marcos

marcos

WIP environment for a point and click:

35. iamthwee

iamthwee

Wow loving the artstyle of that marcos.

marcos likes this.
  36. Billy4184

Billy4184

Gender bending doodle in sculptris..

tmp.png

37. Helicity

Helicity

Today, I made some dirt.
    happylittleaccidents.jpg

Kona, NiloBR and marcos like this.
  38. FloHal

FloHal

I'm currently working on my game Black Night City. You can follow us on Twitter and IndieDB. We have a WIP Thread in Unity Forum.
    I'm working on Joey model in blender, here is some screenshots and a video.

For your information, i'm not a 3D Artist, i'm a developer.

Video

Screenshots

In Blender (flat shading and smooth shading)

I'm waiting for your feedbacks about the render, topology of the mesh and more :)!

39. Takkik

Takkik

Some time now I'm trying to learn photogrammetry and I want to plan new photo shoots in my region this Fall so i've decided to make some quick preview from older photos to learn from my errors and get some feedback.

Have more similar on my thread and will continue to exploit my old photos.

40. NiloBR

NiloBR

working on holographic shader and applying it to ghosts, so u can beat other people's times as well as your own...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    marcos likes this.
  41. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

His arms are very long but otherwise it's pretty good.

FloHal likes this.
  42. Billy4184

Billy4184

...can't see you image!

43. NiloBR

NiloBR

thx for letting me know... can u see it now??

44. Billy4184

Billy4184

Yah .. nice work! It does strike me that maybe the hologram-style thing doesn't work so well with the rest of the setting, it sort of implies a machine/tech feel that the rest of the scene doesn't have. I think it'd work really well with a sci fi setting or similar. Maybe a more 'natural' ghostly look would go better here?

NiloBR likes this.
  45. FloHal

FloHal

Thanks for your feedback! Now that you mention it, you're right, his arms are too long! I'll fix this.

46. NiloBR

NiloBR

actually there is a bit of a backstory... the whole planet its a natural reserve, the humans around live in a space station, and some of them go to planet to do research, and others, well.... they go to practice some extreme sports... so there is still a lot to develop in terms of visuals in order to convey that...
    thx for the feedback...

47. Vashchuk

Vashchuk

I've just registered at sketchfab and made this car for my customization project..

48. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Made a new character. He has a ponytail. I call him "Ponytail"

Then I made a small prototype demo and threw him in there

And remember those donkey characters I posted a while back? yeah, there in here too! I will probably make them part of the same game.

As always, I have no idea where I am going with this. I don't plan anything for my games. I kind of just create stuff randomly and throw it into the unity engine and mess around with it. This will most likely end up being some kind of new horror game though. I will post updates soon. Maybe a new cooking games episode? I don't know yet. Whatever I get to I will share. :D

49. NiloBR

NiloBR

spawn animation

50. AlphaBatzarro

AlphaBatzarro

FantasySword.png
    Hi, everybody! I'm currently making a sword try and sell on the unity asset store! All I've got right now is the diffuse color and I'm currently working on getting a normal map baked into the model. Let me know what you think!