Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Billy4184

Billy4184

Not mine, first pic was from Everspace. They use Unreal. Second pic is Star Citizen using Cryengine. I'm going to edit the post as I think a couple of people think they're mine haha - I wish!

Great work on your knight, there's something more subtle and believable about it than most armor/warriors I see usually. I also think the materials came out pretty well.

2. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Thank you!

I see where you're coming from. My goal is to establish a common theme via materials later on. The plan is to achieve an "ultramodern" look - not quite futuristic, but not quite present day, either. Something you could expect to see within the next 20+ years.

Okay, so I thought I wouldn't go into too much detail, but I did anway - so here's my baking workflow:
    Each part you see on the robot is a separate sub-mesh. There is a whole bunch of them:

The robot is 100% subdivision modelled, which means that it'll be fairly easy to make a low poly out of it. However, since subdivision surfaces create very high resolution geometry, I don't have to use much resolution on the base model which is subdivided - that is why I can't use the pre-subdivided model as a low poly, because its form isn't similar to the subdivided model.

That's why I "render" out the subdivided model at the lowest (or second lowest, depending on the shape) subdivision level, and then clean that up and use that model as my low poly.

Once the low poly is done, I'll make the UVs (which is a nightmare in Cinema 4D). The plan is to create two sets of UVs - a set for the body and the legs, and another one for the arms and the head.

Once I have the UVs done, I'll explode both the high poly and the low poly model, and create a cage in Cinema 4D. A cage is almost a must for baking, as it helps you get better results by guiding the rays. Also, because my model has tons of hard edges, I need to split my UVs before baking, otherwise this happens:

I'm going to bake an object space normal map, a tangent space normal map and an AO map, and then toss the model into Substance Painter for texturing. I just bought SP during the Steam Summer Sale and I haven't had a chance to work with it yet.

But yeah, baking is fairly complex and time consuming, I can't remember a single time when I would've managed to successfully bake something on the first try :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback!

Blacklight and Billy4184 like this.
  3. Billy4184

Billy4184

@TheAlmightyPixel very informative, thanks! I used cages at one point but found it too tedious and it would easily warp stuff if I was not careful. I rarely need them though, but I guess they're an absolute must for some models, such as complex organic stuff you can't explode.

Great work and looking forward to seeing the final result!

4. lost086

lost086

Hi folks,

I'm in the odyssey of finding the right logo for my tower defense indie game!

The game is about Dwarves regaining their own territory in the search of special minerals they use to craft and use magic.

What do you think about these three logos?

Which one do you like te most?

Don't worry about the texts (Dwarven Defense is the game name), these are rough versions just to show the preferred typeface.

DD-Logos.png

5. Billy4184

Billy4184

First one looks great.

6. Blacklight

Blacklight

First one is my favourite too, however the text looks kind of odd. I think it should follow the curve of the board its written on.

LeftyRighty likes this.
  7. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Make the 'dwarven defense' words bend/stretch to fit the space rather than looking like you just typed them in. I think it will gel better, as in #1 or #3.

8. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

I'm sorry but my first thought was "why does it have a wedgie handle?" :confused:o_O

9. lost086

lost086

Thanks for your thoughts!

Indeed, the text needs some love.

10. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

The rifle high poly is almost finished, but there are still some slight smoothing errors I want to fix.

@LeftyRighty haha, the handle is there for easy transportation :D

Master-Frog, Arkhham and Whiteleaf like this.
  11. Blacklight

Blacklight

12. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The lantern pokes through the 'glow' when looking down just slightly.

I agree with this and can attest to it. The detail in glossy paint over metal has surface details in it - that if left smooth look - just wrong.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  13. Arkhham

Arkhham

TheAlmightyPixel likes this.
  14. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Once you go from pencil-drawn artwork, how do you then translate this into something inside the computer? Do you scan it in and draw over it or something?

15. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Scanning is most likely the best way as well as the most accessible way to get your pencil drawings onto the computer. You can then do some level editing etc. to get rid of the white and use the line art as a "multiply" layer in something like Photoshop. Then you can paint underneath the lines without breaking them.

But I've got to ask @lost086 , did you actually draw these logos on paper? Or did you use Photoshop, Sketchbook or something similar? They look great, especially the first one.

16. iamthwee

iamthwee

Wow I really like the simplicity of that, reminds me of quake.

Did you bake the lighting and how did you prototype the levels. I'm in the process of prototyping my levels.

17. Blacklight

Blacklight

I built a kit of brushes I can use to to make the rooms in Unity.
    upload_2016-8-7_12-45-18.png

They all use the same material and texture atlas, so when I'm happy with the room I can combine it into a single mesh and lightmap it. My levels consist of several randomly arranged rooms, so I use resources from this thread to keep the lightmap with the prefab.

iamthwee likes this.
  18. ChadWoodworth

ChadWoodworth

Small works? I was just trying to post a small horror game as a work in progress but my post was deleted. This turns out that for some reason this game does not get mentioned or cannot exist. This is my last try and unfortunately I have to provide one of those ad links to download.

Note: If you do not like jump scares, confined spaces, or loud noises then do not attempt to play this game.

19. iamthwee

iamthwee

@Blacklight thanks I never knew you could prefab a baked asset. I will look into this further for sure.

@ChadWoodworth you didn't put a link. I'm working on a horror game too.

Master-Frog likes this.
  20. iamthwee

iamthwee

Just completed my first game devblog for my first ever unity game. Lots of improvements to be made please feel free to comment and critique.

Blacklight likes this.
  21. LanceC09

LanceC09

Since im starting a level 2 game dev course next month i thought i would have a go at pixel art (as in the course we are doing 2d)

Only experience i have in art is a couple of models in blender that i uploaded in this thread last year.

After about an hour of installing/ a couple of tutorials i made this haha.

screenshot--7-.png

Then i tried my hand at animation.

www-gifcreator-me_joertd.gif

Now after some more videos of pixel art i decided to make some sort of barbarian . I dont know what looks better though the face paint or no paint.

screenshot--19-.png screenshot--20-.png

And then made an idle animation for it.

57a8c02e9c2e9305759079.gif

Think i will try and make a run animation for it next.

22. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

Tried to fiddle around with shaders for a bit - can't seem to quite wrap my head around them, but I did get something done after an embarassingly long time.

Now back to my actual project.

Master-Frog and Billy4184 like this.
  23. Billy4184

Billy4184

Hopefully getting better at painted metal ...

Delete2.png

EDIT: @Buhlaine definitely, and thanks for the feedback! I was just focusing on the subtle paint details themselves and threw it all over a model to see how it looked, it's definitely not a finished work. But yeah the edge wear is so much a part of painted metal you can't really judge without it.

I'm trying to zero in on a less exaggerated, more subtle look, it's kind of difficult to get the message across when it's not all apocalyptic ...
    Fixed.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Buhlaine likes this.
  24. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

I'm liking the dirt all over it, but the painted metal kind of reads like rubber to me. How about adding some edge-wear/scratches that exposes some of the metal underneath the paint?

Just a thought :p

25. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

Whiteleaf likes this.
  26. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Not enough shininess I think to tell me its smooth metal, too much diffusing of light on the surface makes it look soft? Needs to look 'harder'?

Billy4184 likes this.
  27. iamthwee

iamthwee

Just working on a 2D animation trial and testing phase. Actual character is just a placeholder, using blender bones to animate and imported into unity. buGdk0C0YF.gif

Lu3DLC likes this.
  28. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Is the GIF only laggy for me?

29. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

So guys, this is Bob, the Frog Creature. I was working on him a while back so I decided to recently go back and add more details to him. At the moment, he has the Normal map that seems to be working fine, but the diffuse and the other textures seem to have a few issues here and there so I want to fix that before I upload a vid of him being animated.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  30. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

@iamthwee yeah, the framerate is quite messed up and thus the animations are barely readable at the moment.

The character looks great, even if it's just a placeholder. The materials read very nicely.

31. iamthwee

iamthwee

@TheAlmightyPixel and @Whiteleaf yeah, I opened up the gif in photoshop and deleted a handful of frames to reduce the image size for upload.

That being said the animation is not as smooth as I would like, but for the time being it is literally just a placeholder for the 2D part of my horror game, so it is literally just a throw away test.

32. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

You might want to take a look at ScreenToGif, it's an awesome free tool to capture gifs of a certain resolution/framerate. It also automatically optimises your gifs on export, which makes them slightly smaller in filesize.

Photoshop is a bit overkill for editing gifs IMO.

33. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Where do you go from here? Will there be a more extensive map?

34. Blacklight

Blacklight

A Quake/Devil Daggers styled drone turret... from HELL.

Whiteleaf, Buhlaine, Lu3DLC and 2 others like this.
  35. IrrSoft

IrrSoft

This is a common vampire bat for our game 3:00am Dead Time, made using only free tools. Our 3D artist made the base sculpture, retopology and rigging, and I did the paint job and base texturing, texture baking, custom fur shaders and custom lighting

It was sculpted and painted in Sculptris, adapted for Unity, rigged and animated in Bender3D and then rendered in Unity 5.2 Personal Edition :)

Lu3DLC likes this.
  36. FloHal

FloHal

Hi everyone!

I'm working on Black Night City. It's a Hotline Miami like game with a "Sin City" design.

I use Toony Color Pro 2 shader for cell-shading/comics effect.
    Model are rigged and animated with Blender 3D.
    Texture made with Gimp
    Done with Unity 5.4 Personal Edition.

Any feedback are welcome!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Billy4184 likes this.
  37. Blacklight

Blacklight

I'm loving the art style, but a few things to consider:
    -The soft gradient light looks really out of place among the hard shadows and contrast. You might be able to change that with a cookie or through the shader.
    -A splatter texture for the blood would look a lot better, as would having it receive shadows.

38. FloHal

FloHal

1 - Totally right! And i'll work on it soon!
    2 - Thanks for your feedback! I'll do some try on it. The blood particle come from "Cartoon FX" pack. :)

I'm not a game artist. i'm a software developer. But i'm glad to ear that you like my art style :)!
    The floor texture in the second screenshot is an hand painting texture made by me with Gimp.

Edit : (New screenshot with new texture and shadows)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  39. Takkik

Takkik

Continuing exploring substance designer

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  40. FloHal

FloHal

@Takkik I can't see your image :(

41. Takkik

Takkik

I've uploaded the images on a new host, hope it work better.

42. iamthwee

iamthwee

@Takkik it is better just to use unity's upload feature as no doubt, over time those image hosting sites get taken down.

Looks great by the way.

43. FloHal

FloHal

Yes, it's better! Looks awesome :)

44. HolBol

HolBol

There's a dedicated thread for small programming works that'd be a better fit for your post.

45. Billy4184

Billy4184

I think I'm finally zeroing in on what makes painted metal look like.. well painted metal ... without actually showing any metal

metal.png

46. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I see concrete. Metal's problem is that paint doesn't want to stick to it, so you get uneven layers and flaking/peeling.

47. TheAlmightyPixel

TheAlmightyPixel

It's getting there, but I think you have your metalness/roughness values inverted. The chipped parts should be shinier than the painted parts, which isn't the case here. You could also try making your grunge slightly sharper.

Here's a nice example of a painted metal material: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xJZ3W

That's not entirely true, since the durability of the paint layer depends on the environment as well as the way it's treated. Look at bike frames for example. They have perfectly clean coats of paint, and the frame is usually made out of metal (sometimes carbon fiber), so the underlying material doesn't affect the paint layer, in case it's been treated well.

Flaking/peeling probably wouldn't make sense in @Billy4184 's materials, since in space, there really isn't anything that could bang up or break the paint layer, except maybe meteors.

48. Billy4184

Billy4184

Thanks guys. What I'm aiming at is discolouration, not chipping/flaking, otherwise I would have bump-mapped it. I don't actually want to show any bare metal at all.

My theory is that somehow I have to hint at the crystalline structure of the metal through the paint. At the moment I can definitely see that there's something not right about the rougher parts, maybe the contrast of roughness is too much, or the finer detail is wrong.

@TheAlmightyPixel thanks for the link, but that's really not the sort of material I'm looking for. To give you an idea one of my reference pictures is this - I guess it might be stylized a bit and not totally accurate, but it's what I'd like to get:

HUvlNFe.jpg

49. Billy4184

Billy4184

Messing in substance designer with some kind of space wreck ...

thingy.png

50. Deanit

Deanit

Struggling with gameplay settings in my small hobby-project for mobile