Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Arkhham

Arkhham

At this Frame: Tris:196.3K, Setpass calls: 112
    No Realtime or Baked GI
    Dee_Take02.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    larsbertram1 and _M_S_D_ like this.
  2. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Bad Dreams is a very short atmospheric game made by me.You have to escape the room by finding the key, but sometimes the most obvious escape is not the best one :D

Sadly I can only use Global Illumination within Unity, the build is always dark and without lights.I do have a build(without GI) but it doesn't look as good as in-editor.If anyone has suggestions on how I can get GI to work on the build, I would greatly appreciate it :D

3. Burnzie

Burnzie

Working on an art style for a mobile game I'm working on. I've tried to go for a Vintage Nixie Tube style of things. Thoughts?

Lu3DLC likes this.
  4. dibdab

dibdab

5. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Made a low poly Scar-H without textures and my crappy Blender material skills:

(the ambient occlusion wasn't working also, so it's kinda ugly...)

Lu3DLC likes this.
  6. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Halo armor is getting there, hopefully get some bakes into unity tonight.
    High poly:

Low Poly

Whiteleaf, zugsoft and Billy4184 like this.
  7. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Edit: So first bakes are in, gotta clean up some artifacts and stuff but pretty good first results.
    Just unity 5 standard shaders

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Whiteleaf, Billy4184 and zugsoft like this.
  8. marcos

marcos

Quick 1 hour sculpt for fun

tweedie, Tiny-Man, _M_S_D_ and 2 others like this.
  9. Billy4184

Billy4184

Does that 1hr include texturing? Nice work..

10. zugsoft

zugsoft

Only 1hour to make the head??
    I like this head :D

11. canaljuegos32

canaljuegos32

Almost 1 week to finish this room:

Still need make a door here:

Not_Sure, Lu3DLC and marcos like this.
  12. marcos

marcos

Was maybe 15 more minutes texturing in substance painter. Put a skin smart material on and then painted some colour in for the lips, eyes and reds etc.

Edit:

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Not_Sure and Billy4184 like this.
  13. Arkhham

Arkhham

At this Frame: Tris: 459.3K, Setpass calls: 285
    Dee_Take03.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    Not_Sure, Talavaj, Tiny-Man and 2 others like this.
  14. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thanks! :D yeah man, its insane to look back at some of my work from 4-5 years ago and see how much I improved in quality. I knew nothing at all when I first started. I have learned so much over the years. Proper texturing, modeling, techniques etc. I always wanted to be the one responsible for everything in my games, especially the art work. Good or bad, I wanted to be able to say that its my own work and I created everything. This passion forced me to continuously learn more and improve. Thank you WhiteLeaf. :)

Thank you lol. I have a lot more. I will keep posting. I was thinking of adding some horror elements. It will mainly be a funny game though. I'm making it up as I go. We will see how it turns out. :D

Virror, man! Its nice to see you again my friend. Thank you so much. Although I was not as active on the forums for a while, I always still worked on game stuff constantly. Its awesome that you are also still around here. :)

:eek::eek::eek:
    Marcos this is amazing!!!! Very Tomb Raider-esque. You always did things with professional high quality. Make this into a full game man!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will post more screenshots and updates on my donkey game (my new project) later on.
    I have some other exciting news, I don't see any point in making a thread for it though. But anyway, my previous game project just got GreenLit on Steam the other day :D This will be my very first game on steam.

Its called "Potato Thriller" - a horror game about a serial killer who deep frys his victims inspired off of the Silent Hills P.T. Demo

I'm going back and polishing it up and adding extra content to it. Heres some new screens:

Whiteleaf likes this.
  15. Blacklight

Blacklight

Working on animations.

marcos, Whiteleaf and Billy4184 like this.
  16. Billy4184

Billy4184

@Blacklight looks good! But I think it needs more torso movement, e.g. shoulders sink down when the front paws hit the ground, more 'rocking' rotation on the x-axis during running, head and neck lean down and form a straight line with the body. These kinds of things imo make movement a lot more expressive.
    Anyway, nice work!

Blacklight likes this.
  17. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

About an hours work:

18. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

well that looks amazing! what program are you using for modeling? There are a lot of programs out there that help with retopo but what I use for everything is Blender. You can try TopoGun. There are other ones, but at the moment, I don't remember any :(

LeftyRighty likes this.
  19. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

I am definitely liking the wacky characters! You're doing a great job, keep it up!

20. Lu3DLC

Lu3DLC

Well guys, I finally got the shadows to work on these (had to use a different computer, turns out my computer is not too good :confused:). I think I'll be releasing a small pack of Low Poly objects for free, but later on release a bigger one for a couple bucks, depending on how everything goes. Check out the designs below and let me know what you guys think :D

Snowy Mountains.PNG Pine Trees in Valley.PNG Valley Boulders.PNG Boulders in Valley Snowy Mountain.PNG Pine Group With Mountains.PNG

21. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

I'm just using blender, doing the retop by hand at the moment, figuring out how to get the mesh to "work" before trying any of the automated tools. So far I've learnt "it's tricky" :) but I think I'm figuring it out slowly.

Lu3DLC likes this.
  22. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Finally fixed all the artifacts and baked out a color mask. Also decided to add the lovely shield emitters, make em glow.
    Unity 5 standard shaders.

Dat ass

Lu3DLC and Rafael-Barbosa like this.
  23. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Low poly 15 min practice:

Some random gun, reminiscent of the M4A1.

Justice0Juic3 likes this.
  24. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

If I may ask, how is it that you fixed the artifacts? My bakes usually have a few of them, i though it wasn't supposed to come with any.

25. bgivenb

bgivenb

Came up with a nice splat based detail shader for my environment.

Edit: finished the lighthouse

Crossposting from my original thread

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    snowconesolid and Tiny-Man like this.
  26. Blacklight

Blacklight

Fox!
    It uses the same rig and animations as the wolf, but with a slightly altered mesh.

I've been cleaning up the animations, and tweaking some of them as @Billy4184 suggested. The rig I made isn't all that great when it comes to shoulder movement unfortunately, but I think it does look a lot better. (It may help now that the camera isn't locked onto that particular part of the spine as it was in the last gifs!)

Billy4184 likes this.
  27. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

really depends on the artifact. Generally artifacts come from object beings too close or a ray not being long enough. Generally you can fix these by 'exploding' the mesh and increasing the ray distance when baking. Although depending on the nature you have to make a couple of seperate bakes and stitch them together in photoshop, which is what I had to do for the shoulder pads as it's 1 big mesh.

28. Takkik

Takkik

Hi.
    Experimenting with photogrammetry. 3D mesh with Photoscan, retopo with 3D-coat and texture with Substance Designer (& Bitmap 2 Material). OpenGl render from Substance.

Not_Sure and Lu3DLC like this.
  29. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

The texturing is really good. Especially the glass thats at the top part. I ran the sketch fab and zoomed in really close to the glass windows on top. Really well done. The glass even has that smudgy/windows havent been wiped in a while kind of look to them. Great work and nice detail. :D

Heres screenshot for a small new bonus level in the steam edition of Potato Thriller.

Just a quick note, Im reusing my older assets (to create an extended bonus part to the game) that I created for this game back when I was working on it. So these are some of my older characters and props that I made many months back.

My most recent work is the screens I showed earlier with the cartoony goofy donkey characters. So its not really a step back lol :D (Even though I actually also like the characters and more simpler look I made for this game)

Tiny-Man and Whiteleaf like this.
  30. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

a gnoll with some attack animations... the clipping animation at the transitions of the last attack to standby stance is from unity's weird interpolation (like in lerp instead of lerpAngle :\ )
    Still need some armors and stuffs...

Kona and Whiteleaf like this.
  31. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Nothing unusual about this....
    Just potato man sitting with some devils at the park..

Whiteleaf and Tiny-Man like this.
  32. Billy4184

Billy4184

Animations are too slow toward the end, they start well but need to really accelerate as they cross in front of the body, like the crack of a whip!

33. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

I agree, especially noticeable in the 1st attack, will do rearranging some keyframes.

Billy4184 likes this.
  34. NiloBR

NiloBR

Little combat prototype... u have directional blocking and attack and u have to use your reflexes to beat the sh** out of the other folk....

Not_Sure, LeftyRighty and Whiteleaf like this.
  35. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

love mecanim

Billy4184 and Arkhham like this.
  36. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Look a blue one

Whiteleaf likes this.
  37. NiloBR

NiloBR

now u can stab people in the face.... at a distance...

38. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

so brutal, love it!

39. phonk

phonk

that's freaky! she looks like my sister! that said; very nice character design, her expression is amazing, something i miss in a lot of characters, and gives her that extra quality. good job!

40. phonk

phonk

I really like the character, worth putting in some more time in the sculpt i.m.h.o. some parts look like there is still too much visible of the underlying muscle structure (around the lips). But I think really you're achieving a good style and definitely worth the time layering some more skin, wrinkles and maybe some work on the eyes. Reminds me of Gerry's game. Nice stuff!!!

41. phonk

phonk

That's pretty insane! I might even like some aspects of the unity version better!

tweedie likes this.
  42. j03d4d

j03d4d

DAAAMMNNNN Un-Censor that S*** ;)

43. HolBol

HolBol

Go outside.

tweedie likes this.
  44. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Potato dude:

For a small game I'm working on. Normal map needs work but tomorrow I'm going to rig and animate him.

snowconesolid and bgivenb like this.
  45. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Been away from the forums for a long time, been very busy.

Work in progress. Reworking an old scene from my project which is taking far too long. Will show it off at some point.:rolleyes:

tweedie, Kona and snowconesolid like this.
  46. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

How dare you create a potato-like character! Making games that star Potatoes is MY thing! :mad::eek:
    Kiddig of course. Lol. :D
    Looks more like a marshmallow. Color is a bit pale for a potato. the - _ - face expression is funny. :)

Anyway guys, I decided that I am going to start vlogging my game development stuff. So I started a new series called "Cookin Games" and this is just a vlog series where I ramble on and discuss and share what I am working on. I think it will be pretty fun and instead of just screenshots I can show some stuff in action. Here is episode 1.

If you guys remember the screenshots I posted earlier in this thread about my new donkey game, this vlog shows it in action.

I recorded this before my other game was greenlit. So I stopped working on the donkey game for the time being and went back to polish up my potato game. Maybe in episode 2 (if I make one) I will show off some new stuff in my potato game. If not, once I finish that, I will get back to working on my donkey game and sharing updates.

Also, sorry for the slight awkwardness and the constant "umms" and "aahhhs" and sometimes long pauses. I will try improving as a vlogger :D:D:D

Whiteleaf likes this.
  47. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

working on the heavy flamethrower

48. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Haha, I actually completely forgot about your game while I was making the concept. About the color, it's something weird unity's lighting I think. It looks fine in Blender and the image itself is quite dark in GIMP. I'll tweak it a bit tomorrow.

(btw my game is about the potato rebellion trying to defeat the vegetable empire, if you were wondering. don't ask me how i came up with the idea because i honestly don't even know)

snowconesolid likes this.
  49. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Lol sounds insane and interesting. Keep posting updates about this XD

50. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I'm going to make a thread for it soon. ;) I've also been playing a lot of Star Wars Republic Commando recently so you might have a squad of potatoes to assist you in your journey, not sure yet.

EDIT: Environment shot:

So far I've made all the scripts, models, textures and animations by myself. Looking pretty good so far. The ground texture is also my first seamless texture that doesn't use some filter to do it for me.

EDIT 2:

Changed it a bit, before the first mission was going to be set on a Mars-ish planet, now it's going to be a tropical / rain forest:

I also added health, ammo, weapon switching and shooting. A fully customizable weapon system with probably over 1 billion combinations. You can change so many parameters.

If you're wondering, I'm using Bloom, Tonemapping / HDR, Color Correction (Curves), and Vignette and Chromatic Aberration for the image effects. I was using SSAO but it didn't look that good, I might end up buying SSAO pro someday.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016