Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. SputnixFox

SputnixFox

Thanks for the feedback, it might be best for me to ditch the animations all together and focus on making a solid gun bundle with a range of LODs. Not really trying to make a living from it, just supplementing my income.

I like the idea of selling a niche, high end product at a higher price then trying to sell more generic models to lots of people on the cheap and pivot to more modern weapons.

I really wanna make a Kriss Vector SMG, it's such an odd looking beast. Would be fun to model.

Martin_H likes this.
  2. nipoco

nipoco

Good work.
    I think you've did the anatomy pretty well.
    Only little critique I have, are her arms. They seem a tad too long IMO.

Just a fun fact: The underarms (from elbow to the wrist) have mostly the same length as the feet.

3. Martin_H

Martin_H

I just strained a muscle trying to hold the two together (can't reccomend), and I don't think that's a useful rule of thumb. I agree that the arms look rather long. I'm not sure if they are really too long though, given that she seems to be pretty tall.

4. Kona

Kona

I must agree with @Martin_H, arms usually reach down slightly below the hips when resting them along the side of the body, which they seem to be doing in this case. :)

A good approach on human proportions are to use the characters head as a measure, it's very common to do so when drawing.

Quick search on google on human proportions and/or drawing techniques will provide one with several resources on the subject. :)

Martin_H likes this.
  5. KirkDesign

KirkDesign

These are all really nice and I can see you having fun working on them. The only one I can see as one to perhaps develop further is the one on the top row all the way to the right. Looks like a ghost / phantasm character? The head/face could use some development and maybe some drawing to indicate particle effects for the lower portion especially. Gives it more substance to an otherwise floating torso. I can't wait to see your inked and colored versions!

6. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I was bored today so I decided to work on a higher poly female. I took some reference images and came out with this in around 3 hours:

I'm not going to keep this on though as I feel like I can do what I did here in a lot less vertices (it was really messy to work with lol). I'm actually really happy with this, but it's far from perfect. And as you can see--she doesn't have arms nor breasts as I decided I'd just remake the character entirely.

What do you think of this model?

nipoco likes this.
  7. Martin_H

Martin_H

It always amuses me to see anatomical size charts with women wearing high heels. As if it would be unimaginably weird for a woman not to wear those.

@Whiteleaf: Looks a lot better! And I don't think you need to worry about polycount at the moment. Focus on getting the look you want, that's a lot harder to learn. You can always reduce the polycount later if you ever need to.

Kona likes this.
  8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

If you decide to go with an animation pack with arms and guns - consider overlapping all movements and adding arcing movement - anticipation - easing - snapping - and follow through. The animations as Martin_H pointed out look stiff and artificial because they are linear movements and lack most of the elements described in the principles of animation.

A pack should be something that is useful to customers - so either create a pack of weapons 6-8 that could be used with another animated arms pack, or create an animated arms pack with at least one weapon that can be updated for the customers with additional guns. But the animations have to be nice quality. ;)

Martin_H likes this.
  9. nipoco

nipoco

I wouldn't recommend Loomis' work anyways. His figures are highly stylized and always resemble the old school "hero-sizes". Not how a average human looks like.
    I wouldn't also rely too much on such generalized measurements. It's often highly individual and more a guts feeling. And for Marco's woman, I feel the arms a little bit too long. Nothing really extreme. You still can go with it.

Regarding the feet/underarm ratio. This isn't really a rule of thumb. Just something I learned ages ago during figure drawing classes. It's not always accurate.

@Whiteleaf This is a big improvement over your first character. Keep going and you will get better at this really fast.

Martin_H likes this.
  10. marcos

marcos

I don't recall if I ended up tweaking the arm length, was a model from months back. But yeah, I figured it fit within the realm of slightly-off anatomy :p.

Ended up being this:

11. bgivenb

bgivenb

GlamorShot2.png

My project for the evening.
    Total terrain uses 2560 faces. Thinking of uploading a free download on the asset store. Would anybody be interested?

wm-VR, BillySmith12, twistms and 3 others like this.
  12. marcos

marcos

13. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Russian handgun, Makarov, makes an appearance in my small game:

14. slicky-grease

slicky-grease

3D model of one of my characters I been working on for my video game. Suggestions are welcome:)

Breezy WIP2.png

Whiteleaf likes this.
  15. banditos

banditos

Heloo guys, first time unity user here. I'm using unity for learn the PBR and making game asset.

unityPower.jpg

Deffered Render path, 1 direct light, 1 omni.

16. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Makarov reload animation:

17. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Can you provide a wire frame overlay of the textured model?
    Are the ears going to lay back behind the character when rigged?

The ears look a little low resolution compared to the rest of the model. Since the ears are the prominent characteristic of the character - you may consider increasing the polygon resolution a bit on the upper edge where the polygons are most noticeable and also where the ears bend to attach to the head.

Where are the knees located on the model? It appears they might be located near/at where the top of the boots are located. This might cause some texture stretching when the character runs/jumps.

18. slicky-grease

slicky-grease

I sure can. Here is the wireframe version of the character.

Do I need to change the position and location of the shoes . Also, where should I put more polys on the ears? I think the ears will be layed back, but I haven't decided on it yet.

Breezy Wire.png

19. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Here are my suggestions -
    The character might have enough polygons to work with in the ears. Just by making them more curved - could improve the shape.
    The knee needs at least 3 edge loop (segments to bend properly. See my crude sketch. The middle segment acts as the knee cap area - the upper and lower segments keeps volume for the upper and lower leg and keeps the knee from collapsing like ultra low poly characters. You can get away with less on the back side - but for simplicity 3 loops makes it an easy tip to follow. Anywhere between the middle segment and lower/upper segment will have texture stretching to some degree. The more edge loops - the less texture stretching will occur.
    I'd also add a couple edge loops (green) near the head so when you animate - the ears near the head won't bend awkwardly. This will also allow the ears to bend further while keeping a curved arc shape as opposed to a angular flat polygon shape.
    upload_2016-3-23_18-1-22.png

Just some minor suggestions to help later when rigging & animating. ;)

Martin_H and nipoco like this.
  20. slicky-grease

slicky-grease

Thanks for the suggestions bro. I added the loops to the bottom of the ears. Also, where on the knees I should add the edge loops on.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  21. slicky-grease

slicky-grease

Another WIP for one of my other characters. Suggestions are welcome:)

Flare WIP 4.png

22. bgivenb

bgivenb

23. CrisisSystem

CrisisSystem

All I hear in my head when I look at that picture is this:

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  24. Mister-D

Mister-D

retextured my "overlord" asset in gold armor
    overlordgold.png

25. Voltarrens

Voltarrens

Chapel_Outside.jpg Chapel_Inside.jpg

WIP of a Chapel inside and out with stand-in textures, modeled after a few reference photos taken of the exterior of one in Adelaide Cemetery. Made with Lightwave3D. Working along the lines of an old Victorian era look for a game.

26. marcos

marcos

27. CrisisSystem

CrisisSystem

That looks great :D

28. Neolightl

Neolightl

Here's our final PAX booth poster - Phew.

Here are the concepts for it.

29. JohnPet

JohnPet

Could you maybe share how you made it?

30. bgivenb

bgivenb

I've got a polycount thread where I go over a little bit of my process.

Polycount Thread

Most of the magic is in my world machine setup. I spent about 5-6 hours setting up my macro (here's a look at it, it uses aspects of the Dunefield macro by nikita; you can find that here)

Dunes1.png

but it looks pretty good at this point. Now that I've got that set up, I can randomly generate sand dune terrains pretty quickly (Here's one I made up for a quick example; this took me about 3 minutes to create)
    dunes.png

Next, I generated a number of bitmaps using world machine, and composted them using photoshop to create my colormap. I exported as a mesh and redid the topology to follow the contours of the terrain, and remapped the textures. I also made a custom shader that lerps between the soft sand and the wavy sand based on vertex colors, and painted in the vertex colors based on what side of the dune was facing the wind. I'm thinking of doing a series of tutorial videos on advanced terrain creation techniques, but if you have any specific questions, i'd be happy to answer them.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  31. Martin_H

Martin_H

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'll soon need to work on a more or less desert like terrain too.

32. JohnPet

JohnPet

Wow, that's great. I thought it was from WorldMachine, but it's tough to build specific terrain there. Thanks for sharing.

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some of my work on volumetric shader clouds for Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4

This is from a new sub system for the volume clouds, that emulates side and higher clouds using just quads.

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  34. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Voltarrens and nasos_333 like this.
  35. Shinka

Shinka

My MC character model made by yours truly Showcase.png

36. mcunha98

mcunha98

37. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

38. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Those look very nice. Adding a character or something for size reference in the images would be very helpful for understanding scale.
    Nice work!

39. looki666

looki666

MyImage.jpg MyImage (1).jpg MyImage (1).jpg MyImage.jpg River rocks i have been working on .
    [

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    JamesArndt, wm-VR, Tim-C and 6 others like this.
  40. Martin_H

Martin_H

Thought you might enjoy this link:
    http://9gag.com/gag/aA1OMrd

41. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

These rocks are very well made, the textures are wonderful. The one issue I see is labeling them river rocks.
    Most river rocks I've ever been around are all smooth. They usually look like this
    They do have detailed divots and rough areas, but the overall surface is very smooth - with micro detailed spots.

Whichever the name ends up being - really high quality work!

42. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

When you want to get some cool footage of your game, but the game won't let you...

43. looki666

looki666

Trying to find balance between rough and smooth - first pass for now .
    Colors are exaggerated , and so are NormalMaps .
    Now , that details are made its just a matter of tweaking , some parts of them .
    The still need more dust in crevices , small specks of sand in them , more variation in shapes .
    Tried to do extreme colse-up , but even 4096 maps are not enough without detail mapping .
    So might do detail maps or MultiTileUV without detail mapping .
    Thanks for kind words :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  44. nasos_333

nasos_333

45. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

46. twistms

twistms

It is good enought to sell it?)

47. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Seems good enought and if it's got animation that would be a +

48. canaljuegos32

canaljuegos32

My dungeon/crypt progress:

49. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The animations need to be improved with overlapping motion and follow through - especially on the tail if your considering to sell.
    The texture is quite muddy. Adding detail maps (normal spec etc) and added detail to the diffuse on top of the procedural generated color base will help.
    The model looks alright, however the segmented sections of the mesh need to have sharper, more defined edges between them. The model looks kind of blobby as it is now. This is probably due to the sculpt being blobby in the segmented areas. Sharper defined edges in the sculpt, in the segmented areas would probably clean this up nicely.

twistms likes this.
  50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Some of the WIP for Sky Master ULTIMATE Volumetric shader clouds (v3.4) and FFT ocean and shading (v3.5)