Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Looks good! you could easy bump the poly count up tho

Im not sure, but i think that you should ALWAYS start low poly, block out what your shape will be, and essentially carve in the details. (I dont mean carve etc by removing mesh either, extruding out = same)

Course I dont know, but ive never had a good result with several small detailed pieces being made one at a time. Its either too detailed in only one spot, or the edge loops going completely crazy at the end.

Ive been told that how i do push polys is pretty old fashioned. so theres that too

either way good work and good luck

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Whiteleaf likes this.
  2. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Pistol concept art for my Sci-Fi uNet FPS:

3. Enes22

Enes22

Learning sculpting and retopology for game character creation.

sculpt.png

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Billy4184 and Whiteleaf like this.
  4. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Heres an update, such as it is

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  5. HolBol

HolBol

So I decided to start high-poly work because I realised that cages were a thing that exist.

I've got to add some details to the front here, and still have the underside to do, but I like how things are progressing.

Billy4184, AlexZimich and Whiteleaf like this.
  6. Billy4184

Billy4184

It's really hard to make high quality realistic art without normal baking. It isn't that hard either. Some quick tips:

- With the high poly, you don't have to worry about poly count, so do whatever makes your life easy. Use a lot of different objects and embed them into eachother. You can easily add all sorts of greebles (mechanical bits and pieces) this way without having to extrude and deal with corner stretching/weird shading. Use full edge loops where possible (as they're easy to remove), bevel your sharp edges and add a subdivision modifier, go nuts!

- Learn to retopologize, even mechanical objects. With face snapping you pretty much just extrude edges and add faces until it's finished. As long as your lowpoly never deviates far from the highpoly, it isn't really all that important where your vertices go, although it's a good idea to keep it neat and tidy. Your normal bake will show the detail.

- To know how the low poly will look with the normal map, just take visualize a line along the lowpoly's face normal in the direction of the high poly model. Wherever it hits is what the normal map will show on your lowpoly. If your imaginary line goes off into empty space and misses the highpoly altogether, you will have artifacts on your map. This helps visualize common problems, such as cylinder corners.

There's not much else to it, once you get the hang of it, it makes life so much better, since you can go nuts with the highpoly (sculpt everything, bevel everything, embed geometry) and then capture all that beauty in your lowpoly.

EDIT: just saw your last post, coming along nicely!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    AlexZimich and HolBol like this.
  7. redpanda

redpanda

I'm done with my Jungle pack, need to optimize a few models for mobile and hopefully I can submit next week.

Billy4184 and Mister-D like this.
  8. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Heres the Dude in action, running around and such. Its a good start i think. I dont really know what im doing when it comes to making character controllers... so first attempt :D Go easy on it

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  9. BusterBlader

BusterBlader

Not quite Unity related (modding is what I do :p ) but going to post this anyway:
    It's just a McMillan Tac-50 with an AAC Cyclops suppressor and a Zeiss V8 scope with an attached PVS4 :p
    Textures are still missing but I think it turned out quite good with about 30k tris overall
    It was actually a teamwork model: I modelled the whole gun body and railsystem while a mate modelled the scope, bipod and suppressor as some kind of learning project

Whiteleaf likes this.
  10. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Wow, that's really good. What mod is that gun in and what game is the mod for?

11. BusterBlader

BusterBlader

It's not published yet but it will be an ArmA 3 Mod with only the weapon for now. It was requested by some people in the group I play with :D

Whiteleaf likes this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few screenshots from the new GI Proxy demo for Unity 5 (using the now free in Unity 5 image effects).

I will enchance it and have it as sample for use with Unity 5 image effects in the standalone and Sky Master ULTIMATE version.

BusterBlader and AlexZimich like this.
  13. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Added more art

marcos likes this.
  14. marcos

marcos

Speed sculpt I did yesterday, like 90 mins or something:

15. HolBol

HolBol

Made some more progress on the high-poly exterior for the ship. It's close to a point where I'd like to get baking, then I'll move on to the interior, cockpit and boarding ramp at the back then and redo the landing gear because it looks like it's landing on stilts.

16. mancuso

mancuso

Creating some more Skyboxes:

JamesThornton, Kellyrayj and Debhon like this.
  17. Will-Morillas

Will-Morillas

New characters, more cartoonish this time
    MalHuman.jpg
    CRPR.jpg

18. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Ive decided to (finally) learn how to sculpt. since im not working on mobile ATM...
    Ill tell you all how it goes

EDIT: Computer is really slow!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  19. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Kinda got the normal map done. UVs are done and so forth. Computer kept crashing so it took extra long.

But it seems to work... Kinda

Billy4184 likes this.
  20. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Decided to revisit this spellcaster guy again. Making him more animator friendly.

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 9.43.01 AM.png

I hope I'll carve out some time today to rig him up and see how I did.

21. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

I really dont like animating! But heres the dude, coloured, rigged.
    hopefully hes looking better than the old one

22. Billy4184

Billy4184

Looks ok, not sure if it's just me but your model looks like it has a lot of split edges and overlapping geometry, might be an idea to try to make a cleaner retopology. Overall I like the character, has style :)

AlexZimich likes this.
  23. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Yea, It could probably use a once over to fix some things. But it smoothed so theres no MAJOR issues that i didnt fix. As with everything, It gets better with time and fiddly work :p

Did you see i coloured it today? Im trying to replace the old one in the game.

Im probably going to revise my workflow, and start something new soon

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  24. KC1302

KC1302

done for now. Time for new project.

mancuso and Billy4184 like this.
  25. Billy4184

Billy4184

Topology looks ok, maybe some more geometry on the sleeve where it's really bumpy would help. Did you sculpt the character first on a high resolution mesh and bake it? That's probably where you'll be able to really make all the details looks great.

Definitely plenty of style, I like the toony Max Payne vibe :)

ps CGCookie has a great tutorial on low poly character creation that I've found invaluable for my learning.

AlexZimich likes this.
  26. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Spent a bit of time mocking up a map! Not quite sure what it will turn into yet.

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 5.44.35 PM.png

marcos, Mister-D and AlexZimich like this.
  27. HolBol

HolBol

Slowly getting a workable normal map- this is the low poly version.

28. mancuso

mancuso

A collection of copper pots and vases, marble and clay to come next.
    CopperPots.jpg

AlexZimich likes this.
  29. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

started something new. Hopefully its looking good
    EDIT:
    So this is smoothed and what it looks like when i start sculpting. I have so far been unsuccessful at sculpting anything worth keeping :(

But Ill keep at it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  30. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

"Voruxx AX5" for my Sci-Fi Multiplayer FPS.

AlexZimich likes this.
  31. Martin_H

Martin_H

You might be going to too high resolutions too early in the process. Solid anatomy knowledge and references help a great deal and you need to spend more time in the first steps where you work on the bigger shapes. Details are more interesting to do, but if you don't have the right foundation you can not longer fix that in the detail stage. That's why you need to spend that extra time on getting the basic shapes right. Luckily since that's the first step in the process you can easily practice that by starting a few sculpts and only focus on the basic shapes and leave the time consuming detailing out. Also you should give your brain some time to adjust and see the mistakes you made in the foundation before you start adding details. Sleep a night on it and look at it in another context. For 2D painting flipping the image horizontally works wonders, but for auto-symmetry sculpts that won't work. Maybe switching to different matcap filters or doing a quick render helps.

AlexZimich likes this.
  32. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

(sorry for sorta double posting)

UI idea for my game, i'm going to add more things to the menu when I make it, but for now this is what it's probably going to look like.

don't mind mr stickman, he'll be replaced with the player model.

33. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

This is the stuff i need :D thank you Ill try this!

OK so, ive got a new, clean mesh. Ready to add stuff to...
    EDIT: So far so good?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Billy4184 likes this.
  34. Lars-Kristian

Lars-Kristian

Hi, here is a screenshot from what I am working on. The visuals is pretty simple, but I feel it fits the game. If anyone got Ideas for improvements, I would love to hear them. :) Have a nice weekend. :D

IntoOrbit.jpg IntoOrbit2.jpg

NomadKing, Not_Sure and Mister-D like this.
  35. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volumetric fog, clouds and water with optimized quality / performance factor. Grass is optimized and created with InfiniGRASS and the volumetric clouds-fog and water are using Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.1.

The frame rate is tested on my old PC (core 2 duo CPU from 2010)

Mister-D, Whiteleaf and AlexZimich like this.
  36. Martin_H

Martin_H

There's still room to improve the base before you dive deeper into detailing. I'd say your resolution probably is already too high in a few areas. Type "collarbones" into google image search and compare the results to what you sculpted. Those probably are an excellent area to practice sculpting from reference from, because you won't stick so much to what you think you know e.g. an eye or a nose look like and you should have it a bit easier to really focus on the shapes.

AlexZimich likes this.
  37. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Im finding things that I forgot to add in so im going back and making sure ive got everything. Ill try my luck on the collarbones next!

nasos_333 likes this.
  38. Martin_H

Martin_H

I thought I could use some practice myself and made a collarbones study from a reference photo (which is by no means perfect, there is still lots of room for improvement):

Also dyntopo really doesn't work that well when you want perfect smooth shapes. I used sculptris. zBrush zRemesher might have helped. It looks like you use blender, but I strongly suggest to look at some zBrush sculpting tutorials because more often than not the tutors of the zBrush videos will have the better sculpting skills and the program specific things aren't that important imho. And you should do more research on armor crafting and fashion design. Maybe look for some LARP DIY tutorials or documentaries on armor crafting. Knowing how stuff works and is put together is incredibly helpful in creating believable designs.

AlexZimich likes this.
  39. superme2012

superme2012

Very nice..

AlexZimich likes this.
  40. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Very cool! Im working with Maya, and mudbox but i HOPE zbrush stuff is still relevant to me.

I really dont know much about retopologizing or however its spelled. I just feel im pushing the limits of my computer.
    I notice this when i try sculpting and it slows, freezes or just crashes :p

I think this was a good effort (Better than the last). See, i struggle with creativity, and I dont focus on details. If I were to start again, I probably would surpass these efforts and I would focus on things like under armor, belt loops and essentially how it all fits together.

I probably should consider at least seeing if zbrush is better for me

Billy4184 and marcos like this.
  41. Martin_H

Martin_H

If you have Mudbox (which I have not used since the very first version) you probably won't benefit much from zBrush. You just need tons of practice and classical art education. Check out books on anatomy, drawing, clay sculpting etc..
    From what I hear zBrush is orders of magnitude more complex than Mudbox and I see no point for you to fight through that at the moment. When you hit a wall in terms of performance with Mudbox, you might want to give zBrush a go. But in terms of learning benefit you would get more out of focusing on the sculpting and not on the tool.

AlexZimich likes this.
  42. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

thank you for the help!

Martin_H likes this.
  43. marcos

marcos

You leveled up :)

AlexZimich likes this.
  44. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Sweet

Its UVed and i started texturing

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    Whiteleaf likes this.
  45. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I feel like the bridge of the nose is too sharp but otherwise incredible work!

46. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Thank you

47. Billy4184

Billy4184

marcos is right, with each post you're getting better! I think a crucial skill with detailed modelling is the ability to 'enter' and 'exit' a work, i.e., to be able to wake up tomorrow or a few days from now, and being able to recapture the direction you were going when you started. That way, detail isn't intimidating, it is just perhaps a bit of grinding each day, and there's no pressure to get it all done in the same wave of creativity! Keep it up

48. Enes22

Enes22

Working on another character sculpt:

sculpt.png

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  49. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Im finished all the maps etc. done done done... hopefully ill be able to leave it be and stop nit picking.
    How do i attach a file to the forum? Id like to share what ive made.

50. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

To upload a file as an attachment, just click the "Upload File" in the bottom right. Or you can upload it to a File Sharing website like Mediafire, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.