Search Unity

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

This here is also part of the reason none of my games are finished; I often have to switch from coding to polishing the artwork bits! :D

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, I could write one, it depends on what kind of shading you want on the leaves themselves. In either case, if you're using a custom shader, just pass it to me, and I will add the wind components If you like. :)

3. mcunha98

mcunha98

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on Environment Master (Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.0), water and clouds

5. Magpul

Magpul

Sten Gun
    "

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Looks nice, could do with a bit of improvement, as some of the colours don't blend well. One way to fix it up is to tweak the colours of the water to match the sky.

nasos_333 likes this.
  7. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master 3.0 Ocean and InfiniGRASS foliage
    Indeed, i use a fix color in the pics and only clouds affect it through reflection. In the final version there will be a day cycle and weather dependent color correction. The sample images i take will be used as guide on the best settings to use for each time of day.

8. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Above shot looks better. :) Interesting. I can help with the time of day images distinction. :)

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is a sample of a darker mood.

The main issue is that there is so many combinations, like snow (on grass and/or on ground) and clouds (plus types) or no clouds etc

That is why i do a big study, taking pics and i keep one pic for the settings of water-sky etc for each setting and then regulate based on that. This is heavy WIP of course and will be for some time until it is perfected.

10. Billy4184

Billy4184

I agree with @FuzzyQuills, the color could do with some work. The problem seems to be the difference between sky color, ambient lighting color and fog color. These three should be pretty much the same.

Just looking at the images you posted above, the sky looks pale, dark and gloomy while the landscape looks like it is bathed in sunset light and the water seems to be reflecting a very strong color which isn't present in the sky.

If you look at this picture of No Mans Sky (which is procedurally generated with day/night cycles) it has pretty garish colors, but it works because the essential parts make sense. The green sky creates green horizon fog and everything has a slight green tinge on it. The leaves look like they're red because of their pigment and not because of the light.

I've seen your stuff for a while now and it looks like it would be very pretty if everything fit together a bit more.

nasos_333 likes this.
  11. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :). I am in the process of fitting it all together, so every input in valuable. It is not an easy task, as there is so many parameters, but i am at the point where i can regulate everything to fit well for each case, still needs lots of work of course to get perfect.

The plan now is to control the ocean with weather and time of day, so when this is done i may release a real time demo for evaluation and gather opinions on what could be improved.

12. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

As thanks for all the great feedback and community in this thread, id like to offer up some betas :D Anyone interested?

13. Takkik

Takkik

Today experimenting with decals for breaking edge.

Mister-D likes this.
  14. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

One recent change to the ship models in my game Aeronautica was the decoration on the brass "ribs" of some of the Imperial ships such as the S.S. Sun-in-Splendour. Here is a closeup of the gilded wreath design that has replaced the plain ribs that it used to have:

BTW, Aeronautica's crowdfunding campaign on IGG is now live, and includes a video with combat (among other things). You can get premium ships and weapons for supporting the game's development:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aeronautica/x/11466715#/story

15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Which platform? if it's android, would love to test to see how fast it runs on my tab. :)

16. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Actually, I haven't built it for android. That would be cool to try out!

17. Mister-D

Mister-D

screen.jpg
    an fps im working on. i probably wont finish it, as i have no idea where its going. :D

18. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

You are the last person on earth and stuck in a tiny valley that's filled the brim with crate boxes! You can't destroy them fast enough, they magically appear and fall to the ground. Thankfully, you have some sweet guns to help you.

19. Mister-D

Mister-D

"crates have a mind of their own"

20. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Im working on something new. The model is almost done but Ill still have to see how the texture turns out

21. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Wait is it missing a wing or is it connecting to the ship? I'm very confused, I thin it's the second one, though. ;)

22. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Yea, its docked with the Derelict

Heres an update. UVs were no problem

23. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

A PC game? That's cool too. Shouldn't be too hard for my lappy to run that. ;)
    I think that's the outside of the room, in other words, you're not supposed to see that bit in-game. :)

EDIT: Oh, it is a ship! too slow to post... :D

AlexZimich likes this.
  24. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

25. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Quite frankly, find a damn good plot, and stick to it, it's looking great! :p

Mister-D likes this.
  26. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Thank you!

Please, feel free to check out my game on IndieDB. theres PC builds, and i have beta keys (IPAD) :D
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/derelict-ios
    The shuttle is going to dock in game with the derelict, and the soldiers come from there. It has to look just right, but im just colouring now. colour colour...

Ill post how it looks when im done for the night. :D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  27. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Got it. :)

AlexZimich likes this.
  28. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh okay, that's what I thought.

Haha, yeah I you're right!

AlexZimich likes this.
  29. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

I think Ive done all i can do with just photoshop. Need mudbox.

Somethings not right with it, no amount of gradients or drop shadows will help!
    I just need to paint over it, colours!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  30. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Nothing special.A few quick low-poly rocks I did today.

31. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Hey,
    I wrote a paragraph about what this picture is about. But erased it... TLDR

SO yea, hope you guys like it

Theyre supposed to look the same, one has flat lights, the other is default lights

Thunderent likes this.
  32. nipoco

nipoco

Work in Progress Sculpt.
    I try to get a hang of a Blender Sculpting workflow.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-09-13 um 08.50.45.png

Billy4184 and Mister-D like this.
  33. Justice0Juic3

Justice0Juic3

Mister D., we really need to talk. It seems your profile says "This member limits who may view their full profile.".
    I'm having some trouble with an asset recently. How do you prefer to contact me? Via e-mail, skype etc.?

34. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

I really like how it turned out!

Spaceships in general have always been my weakest point in modelling,Do you have any special workflow when creating assets like these?Did you base yourself off some concept or blueprints?I would love to get some info from you on how you made it(modelling&texturing).

AlexZimich likes this.
  35. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

It sounds like this guy's directly painting on some stuff too, so being a good digital artist will definitely help with texturing! :)
    One thing I use to get good lighting and/or texturing on a model is to actually bake render the whole thing in blender, but that's just me. ;)

And point being, I can't get anywhere near the quality this guys done (yet... ;)) but I find that to model any type of machinery and have it look good, making use of edge splits where it's sensible helps.

AlexZimich likes this.
  36. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

I just modelled and then used photoshop (mudbox has expired on me) to colour what i think is needed. My best advice is use multiply layers and overlay layers. But It would be cool to share how i made it, or anything, for that matter! What would you like to know?

EDIT: OH! Modelling! yes, well, I like the extrude tool :p I draw the blueprints before hand tho

:D :p Honestly if i knew how to properly use ambient occlusion bakes and lights etc, Id probably have an easier time.

The only thing of value at the end of the day, is creativity. I say this because I struggle with it. It doesnt matter how well you draw or what fancy tools you have, you need to be creative

37. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

I'm pretty good at baking AO/lights and texturing in PS.My main weakness when modelling spaceships is that I get lost in all those sharp turns and edges with the added detail, and I tend to "soften" the edges, adding a much more organic shape to it.

One thing I have to learn is keep all those sharp corners and add polygon detail where it actually makes sense :p

AlexZimich likes this.
  38. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Its 4am, that means its time to finally fix the shotguns :D :D :D

I added the much needed shotgun blast using trailrenders, objects, and then added it all together :p
    Once again, Im not a coder...

Kellyrayj likes this.
  39. Billy4184

Billy4184

Got sick of programming so knocked together this in a few hours for fun - Cessna 152, ~1000 triangles, rendered in Substance Designer

Image.png

Mister-D and Thunderent like this.
  40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  41. Billy4184

Billy4184

Really great stuff, especially like these:

nasos_333 likes this.
  42. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

43. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Is that even a modern day flashlight? haha :D

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :), i am now working full time on Sky Master 3.0 to create all kind of weather patterns that will also affect the grass, snow and wind etc in InfiniGRASS, for the complete experience

45. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

It's supossed to be an early 1920-1950 flashlight for a client of mine.It must fit the theme of an abandoned hospital.Old and "used" were my main objectives when creating the asset :D

46. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I'm not very good with dates, but I was gonna guess early 1900's. Looks neato!

EDIT: I don't want to double post, so I'll put this here.

I'm working on an offline fps shooter, offline because this is my first project so I want to work on AI and plus multiplayer is way too big for my first 'real' project. I suck at modelling(even simple ones, somehow they always get screwed up :( ), so I make my weapons inside of Unity with the cubes at cylinders and such. Of course I need to learn to model, because these guns look like they came from ROBLOX or something...but I'm actually kinda happy with this for some reason lol.

Oh yeah it also has ADSing and shooting, as well as some cool particle effects. I'm planning on adding recoil eventually but I can't figure out a good way to do it. If anyone has any way they do feel free to let me know!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  47. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Im down for helping with modelling ;D

48. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Thanks, I'm not sure if I will need your help yet, though. I messaged a friend of mine who hasn't replied yet, and I don't want to be like "Sorry! I already have someone else doing it.". This game is also a pretty 'simple' one, and your models look super detailed and well textured, and I'm going for more of a simple look. Thanks though! :D

EDIT: Hey, look! I made a gun!

for some odd reason it looks stretched in the image but I can assure you it's not. By the way, this is the Uzi. I plan on making like 5 more guns fore my game tonight, so stay tuned if you like what you're seeing! I also might make a WIP thread so I don't keep spamming the small arts thread.

EDIT 2: I really think I need to make a thread for this. But I made a tank!

I think it's temporary as I'm not 100% satisfied with it, but hey, nothing's perfect, but also this isn't an AAA title, so it's fine if stuff doesn't look amazing.

EDIT 3: Okay...last one on the small arts thread I think.

I had 3 more classes I needed to make weapons for in my game, so I decided to do the "Engineer" first. I gave him an M4A1. Considering I pretty much can't model, I'm very happy with the way this turn out and I think this is my favorite model I've done so far.

Also, if anyone who uses Blender knows how to turn the sampling thingy up when rendering, please do let me know. I can't stand the grainy look; it's not in 2.71 anymore...I have an older version on another computer and it's there. :D

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    AlexZimich likes this.
  49. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Heres a Gif of the Loadout stuff. How does it look?

50. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

Have to share this:

Whiteleaf likes this.