Search Unity

[WIP] Run Run and Die. Demo

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by rtypex, Jan 21, 2015.

1. rtypex

rtypex

Hi guys,

I'm Angel, an indie developer and actually I'm working on a runner for Ps Vita and after I will work on iOS and Android port.
    That's my first solo game and I wonder if you wanna play a demo that I made on december and give me for feedback :)

The game is a runner (yeah... another one... xD) with 24 levels, a simple control but quite difficult and the final version will have some tribute levels of Atari2600, Game Boy, etc

If you are interested, here the link for play on browser: http://rtypex.com/pixelbonestudios/RunRunAndDie/rrad20141219.html

I'm not a programmer (or at least a dummy programmer and that's the reason why I decided develop a runner at first xD) and maybe it's not technically great but I'm working on it xD Hope you like it!

Thanks for all!

EDIT:
    New improvements that you don't see until build the last version:
    - 2 cameras for resolve some perspective problems.
    - fixed some bugs.
    - Graphic improvements: particles when get coins, etc
    - Ps Vita full button control
    - New enemy and trap

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. Samuel411

Samuel411

That was really fun! Great music and gameplay. The levels were NOT easy though but seems like something I could get addicted to on my phone.

3. rtypex

rtypex

Thanks! Glad you like it.
    After publish on Playstation Mobile I'll work on iOS/Android version :)

4. Infectedcell

Infectedcell

haha it was so freakin awesome ))))
    music & sfxs are amazing!

Only one think - sometimes is absolutely not clear where to jump due to position of main camera. I have die a lot of times =)))

5. rtypex

rtypex

Thanks! :)
    Happy you died a lot of times hahaha
    And about the camera... yes, some people told me the same... I will try to rotate a bit the camera.
    It would be great if I could publish the game on 3DS... I guess should be more easy to play haha

6. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

This is really fun! Unfortunately, I got lots of errors in the dev console which covered have of the screen - it even made the game a lot harder! But I'd like to play this on my android phone one day. :)

7. rtypex

rtypex

Glad you like it! :)
    Yeah, after finish the Vita version I will port to smartphones :) Unfortunately as I said I'm not a programmer and I resolve the problems toooooo slowly... even I'm not sure if I can fix all the bugs... xD

8. Kloper

Kloper

I just tried the webVersion and it looks and feels great!! Keep up the good work!! :)

9. rtypex

rtypex

Thanks!! :)

These days I'm working on the Vita controls... too hard for me hahaha A made a Vine about this :)
    https://vine.co/v/OTgAxpJlWh9

10. rtypex

rtypex

Hi! I uploaded a simple video on Youtube about controls and some improvements:)

11. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

I played it and I die lots of time in certain jumps because of the camera or simply cause are so hard :D I'd reduce the difficulty at early levels. Think that you're skilled on your game but there're people (like me) that aren't :( Even so the music and the art style are great, I liked it so much. Good job!

12. rtypex

rtypex

Thanks for your feedback! :)
    Happy you like the style because I'm artist haha Probably in the next project I will need find a programmer... I lose a lot of time trying fix bugs and improve scripts... xD

Chemaxmax likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Just tried the webplayer demo. It's fun and I really like the art style.
    Just some bad stuff:
    - The webplayer keeps saying "touch screen or press button 2" but neither of those buttons do anything
    - Wen I started the game, it said I had already died
    - When I started level selection, level 8 was already selected
    - You should base jump height based on length of time key is pressed because right now the penguin will jump the same height no matter how long you push the spacebar. A lot of games have that feature and it feels awkward when playing yours since it doesn't have it.
    - Level 3. As soon as you spawn, you hit that little triangle and die which is kinda lame.

All in all, fun game. Looking forward to see it get better. :)

Edit: Ok the last jump of level 3 is seriously impossible.

14. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

On Level 1 could you make the first gap that you have to jump, slightly shorter? There's almost no room for error and I died many times because you have to hit the jump button milliseconds before you fall off the edge or else you won't make it half the time.

Chemaxmax likes this.
  15. rtypex

rtypex

Hi guys sorry for late reply and thanks again for your feedback. I've died more than 2000 times on testing and for me is very easy the first levels so it's interesting see the first reaction of people and locate the points more difficults :)
    It's a game designed only for kill the player and tryind to be fun hahaha but I keep in mind for change a few things in the first levels.
    And I'm very happy that the most of you like the art and think that it's fun. As an artist and game designer is the best :)

Thanks!

That's because is a demo of the Vita version so I build it directly.

Fixed! :) I put "Prepare to die" haha

that's not a selection. It's a level lock. You must collect energy balls/coins for unlock it.

It's a good idea but I can't implement it now. There are some levels that you need get an item for speed up and player don't have time for press the button/touch during long time haha Anyway I'm developing another game with that feature :https://vine.co/v/OnaDvi9vFzF

I keep in mind! Anyway you must think that the most important of the game is decide when jump. Some coins try to help in that point. I tell you because is and easy game when you know when must jump... but of course at the begining probably you will die a lot haha

I keep in mind too! I now that is not an easy jump but it's a difficult game and it have a loooot of jumps like this so I thought that maybe it would be a good idea put a jump like this in the tutorial. Anyway as I said, I keep in mind :)

Since the demo I've created a new character (a tribute to Dr Who hahaha), put a new trap, the Vita button controllers are full working, fixed some bugs, I put another camera for points with a difficult perspective to jump and add some particles when get coins.
    Hope improve the two last levels, the last testing and send the game to sony qa revision at the end of the week.

16. boromir6

boromir6

Fun game, with great music. Depth perception is a bit difficult though. It's very hard to tell when to jump when he's changing directions or going up or down because there are no shadows or anything.

17. rtypex

rtypex

Glad you like it MacMC :)
    The last week I put another camera for resolve a bit that problem. I made a vine about this : https://vine.co/v/OxUZl17Lwt3

18. rtypex

rtypex

Making some changes in level 22 and this afternoon hope setup the final boss :)

19. rtypex

rtypex

I've added particle systems and some traps like this circular saw :)
    People told me to put blood in the game... but I'm not sure xD

20. rtypex

rtypex

Two screenshots more. I've added cell shading with rim light on characters.

Now I'm waiting the PSM Module for Unity5 because I have some frame rate problems using Unity free and I want to see if there a lot of diffence with dynamic batching xD
    I'm thinking on add a twitter button... but I'm not sure about that...
    Anyway, have a nice dev weekend!

EDIT: I will delete the demo browser soon... so if anyone want to play it now is the time ;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015