Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Rise of Trolls: 2D side scrolling mmorpg

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Pickleninja, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Hello everyone,

I've been working on this game for quite some time. It started off as a Java Applet, but switched over to Unity after 4.3 dropped.

Basically the game is like the title says; a 2D side scrolling mmorpg that mixes in elements of minecraft, world of warcraft, and perhaps throws in an old school feel of ghost and ghouls.

Users will be able to create a character (male/female) from one of 8 different races. You'll run around digging into the ground, building things from swords and armor to potions, to even storage contains and chests to entire houses!

The game will also be completely 100% pvp meaning that anyone can attack anyone.

I know that sounds scary, but we've planned mitigations into the design that will help out the average player. Such designs are a cloak, used the way a cloak is meant to be used!

Basically if you have a cloak on, you can go into a cloaked mode. This will prevent others from seeing anything you're wearing, seeing your stats, your level, and even your name. The purpose of this is to add a layer of doubt to those that might attack you (is this person a noob? or are they one of the best players in the game?)

Should you be killed, you can choose to do one of two things:

1.) Respawn with invulnerability until you attack something. You will also receive a bounty poster that you can plaster up in a town for bounty hunters to enact your revenge.

2.) Manifest yourself into a spirit that cannot be killed that will follow your killer around. In this state you'll be able to cast a small variety of curses on the player, summon some undead, or buff what ever npc they're attacking (generally make their life more difficult).

There's plenty more that's planned to be added into the game, and I'll post updates here as well as my facebook page as they're implemented.

Below are some current screen shots:

Loading Screen:

Early Chat Window/Gameplay Screen:

Gameplay digging into the ground:

All the artwork and most of the client side programming has been done by me. I was lucky enough to have my friend Ray join in last March and he's been handling the server side programming.

If you guys have any questions, or comments, feel free to ask. Also if you get a chance, check out an like my facebook page( www.facebook.com/riseoftrolls ).

Thanks for your time,

-Scott Henkle (aka pickleninja)

Magiichan, Chambers and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

3. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

4. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

I tried my hand at making buildings. I wasn't sure they'd look very good, but I'm happy with them so far... :)

(Yes, that's an oversized boulder that's blocking the door lol)

The dropped items can now be picked up and equipped...

(Also added a stats window to the items so we can see what we picked up)

Here's a better view of the building...

5. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Figured out how to put particle effects into the game.

You can also go inside buildings, though I haven't implemented anything like barrels or chests (yet!)

Thanks for viewing :)

-Pickleninja

6. melkior

melkior

Congratulations it looks like all your hard work is coming together nicely.

I think your art style looks nice and the game has a cohesive look and feel.

I would suggest to iterate on your hero a bit over time as they are so critical to the players acceptance and look & feel of the game ; hes not horrible or anything but you'll see a lot of rewards from people's acceptance and enjoyment by improving the character.

Keep up the hard work!

Pickleninja likes this.
  7. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Thank your for kind remarks. As for the style of the hero... I've been designing her to have overlays on top. These are simply rough drafts, but I plan on having multiple hair styles to chose from and wearable armor.

There will also be more than just her for a choose-able character. Current playable races we're discussing are:

-Human
    -Darkelf/Lightelf
    -Satyr
    -Minotaur
    -Troll (obviously)
    -Orc
    -Froglok
    -Dwarf

It's pretty ambitious and we'll scale as the work scales, but for now we're just focusing on getting the animations for just 1 sex of one race done :)

If you're interested in following more of the progress, you can check us out at:

Rise of Trolls on Facebook

Rise of Trolls on Twitter

-Scott Henkle (aka Pickleninja)

8. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Started making weapons... since there's no real animation (I.E. multi-frame), it's been pretty easy to make weapons quickly.

Staffs:

Clubs:

Swords:

Bows:

I've also added animations so the character changes when they're holding a different weapon.

Working on cloaks right now.. then armor :)

Thanks for viewing!

-Pickle

GarBenjamin likes this.
  9. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

I also worked a bit on helms, but I'm curious as to how they're going to look in game. They seem kind of hard to make out.

(suprisingly I did get permission to use trollface... Boba fett on the other hand probably won't be in the game.)

-Pickle

GarBenjamin likes this.
  10. Ra1den

Ra1den

Looks like its coming together! Also the art looks interesting :D but beware RPGs have been done to death
    Its a really saturated market at the moment :L

Pickleninja likes this.
  11. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Thanks Ra1den!

I'm aware of how saturated the market is for RPGs, but I can garuntee you I've got some mechanics in the game that've never before been done. :)

-Pickle

Ra1den and GarBenjamin like this.
  12. Ra1den

Ra1den

Ohhh Sounds promising i'll be keeping an eye out ;)

Pickleninja likes this.
  13. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

So one mechanic in the game is the ability to pick locks, break into houses, and steal stuff.

From people I've talked to, they've all had the same thing to say.

"I would love to break into someones building and take something, but having someone steal something of value from me would really suck."

It's a catch-22. But I feel many games are too afraid to explore the mechanic that they don't even try.

To start off on this road, I plan on letting people build buildings, chests, and other objects to store their items. Some objects like buildings and chests will come equipped with locks.

You'll be able to set the lock to 3 settings:
    • open for anyone
    • open to only me
    • open to me and friends.
    So if you come across the object and try to open it, you will be presented with a pick lock screen.

This particular pick lock screen is a 15-tile puzzle where you have to arrange all the tiles in order before the time runs out in order to "pick" the lock.

If time runs out or you close the screen, your lock pick is broken and you have to get a new pick.

There's also 6 white buttons to the side(art not done yet). These are different skills that will become unlocked as your lock pick skill increases.

Level 1. Add more time.
    Level 2. Swap 2 rows.
    Level 3. Swap 2 columns.
    Level 4. Arrange 2 rows.
    Level 5. Arrange 2 columns.
    Level 6. Swap any two tiles.

The idea is that as your skill increases, this puzzle game becomes easier to solve and when you've reached max level, you should be able to pick any lock within a couple seconds by hitting the level 4 skill button, the level 5 skill button, and then the level 6 skill button.

Finally, if someone does pick the lock successfully, a game mechanic will become active that will prevent said lock from being picked again for 12 hours (kind of like how clash of clans works when you're attacked).

This still leaves the issue of how to handle stolen items. I've got a plan for that too and will post about it when I get that mechanic done ;)

Any thoughts?

-Pickle

14. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Lock pick window donw :)

Started work on containers.

The idea is to allow players to build containers, put them in houses they build, and store items they find along their adventures.

Thanks for viewing :)

-Pickle

15. Ra1den

Ra1den

Will we get to see a gameplay video anytime soon? :D

Pickleninja likes this.
  16. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

I'd love to show some, but there isn't much to view at this time. When all item integration is done, and simple pvp is implemented I'll make a short video :)

Thanks for the continued interest Ra1den :D

I've been focusing on core mechanics so far, and basically I only get a few hours a day to work on it(unless I go TDY, then I get about 8-9/day lol)

-Pickle

17. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Treasure chests. If locked, they pop up the lock-pick window.

Still need to work with positioning though.

-Pickle

18. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Got chests to open once unlocked.

Now I just need to get items placed inside and allow them to be looted :)

-Pickle

19. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Looks sweet! Can't wait for the release and gameplay video!!

Pickleninja likes this.
  20. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Thanks Silver! It means a lot hearing feedback from people.

I've still got soooo much content to add, but my partners 'actual work' project finishes up this week so hopefully we can get the ball rolling on networking again, then it's content content content! :D

-Pickle

21. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Got items to appear in containers, and can be dragged/dropped to/from bags and inventory :)

-Pickle

22. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

So as mentioned before, I want to let players create almost anything in the game. To do so, they'll access the "build menu"

Note: This is just a mockup ... I'm in the process of creating this in game :)
    Note**: The skeleton health bar is fubar because my test computer isn't updated to Unity 4.5 lol. Incase anyone was wondering.

So basically here's how it would work. You click the "Build" button and this menu would be displayed.

The buttons (potion, hammer, leaf, axe) are tabs that help organize what you're trying to build.
    • Potion: Brings up a list of potions/elixers/magicstuff that you can make.
    • Hammer: Brings up a list of game objects you can make like barrels, chests, buildings, etc.
    • leaf: Brings up a list of plants you can grow.
    • axe: Brings up a list of wearable items (weapons,armor, etc) you can make.

In the case of buildings, you'll want to preview what you're going to make before you make it, and where you want to place it. That's why the button below the requirements says "preview". Clicking this button will hide the build menu, and show a preliminary image of what the building will look like. Then the user can choose to build, or return to the build menu.

The mock up was the easy part of this, time to do the hard stuff :)

Thanks for following my progress. I hope I'm not making anyone angry with all the posts and screen shots :/

-Pickle

GarBenjamin likes this.
  23. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Build menu coming along slowly but surely.

During that time I figured out how to add particle effects to weapons :D

-Pickle

24. Mr.Grass02

Mr.Grass02

Oooooo. Looks interesting will it be paid or not? Btw it looks fantastic!

Pickleninja likes this.
  25. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I agree with @Mr.Grass02 it does look fantastic. Kind of reminds me of games on my Amiga computer many years ago. That's a good thing!

Pickleninja likes this.
  26. jkarateking

jkarateking

Game looks really good and it is coming around nicely.
    You seem to be putting a lot of time into it.

When you get a chance, please post some gameplay videos so i can know if I should keep checking progress on the game lol.

Also will ot be free or paid? Personally I hope it's paid or free with no 'pay to win' elements.

Good luck on the game :)

Pickleninja likes this.
  27. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Hey guys, I'm sorry I missed your posts. I've been busy at work, going to funerals, bombing an interview with Amazon, and Thanksgiving of course lol.

I'm still getting all the underlying functionality working, and I can assure you when I have enough to fill a decent video, I'll get it up for you guys :)

As far as free/paid. I despise pay-to-win. I can't really go into depth on how I'm going to make money with out giving away the secret that'll make this game unique and amazeballs, but I can say that anything I ask people to pay for will be reasonable and won't make one player "more powerful" than the other.

With that said, I've been working on the build menu which will allow players to build anything in the game. Plant trees, bushes, grass... make armor, potions, weapons, build houses, treasure chests...you name it.

Planting plants is functional, time to get the other submenues working :)

Thank you all for following along :)

-Pickle

GarBenjamin likes this.
  28. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Interview with Amazon?! For what?!

29. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

They called me up out of the blue for a software job in consumables. The guy was of Indian descent, and I had a really hard time understanding him. I could tell he was getting annoying by me asking him to repeat stuff, so I'm pretty sure I didn't get the job lol.

30. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh, seems cool. and haha!

Pickleninja likes this.
  31. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

I didn't get the job at Amazon... but that's ok. :)

Trees can now be planted in the game.

Just removed grass from the ground tile object. Going to create environment objects for them and add them to the plant menu.

Then I'm going to create the build object submenu so I can allow the user to build buildings, treasure chests, etc..

Thanks for following along :)

-Pickle

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  32. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Been busy rewriting some stuff.

I have the whole game broken up in a grid with each square containing ground objects and envorinment objects which will be mirrored by the server soon (didn't use to be this way...fixing it was a pain)... but I just recently got grass added to the build menu.

In other news. My co-worker ray said he finished installing Unity/visual studios on his machine and has been itching to program again! ... was starting to worry :/

-Pickle

33. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Neat! Much better than I can do at all right now, but I'll get there someday, hopefully. :p Your dirt texture doesn't seem to tile very well, I am thinking that you're caring more on gameplay than graphics at the moment, but just a error in the system. ;)

Pickleninja likes this.
  34. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

I'm sure you will! My art is simply the product of 12 years of public school doodling :D

Yeah hopefully I can hire a graphic artist to clean/redo some things when the core gameplay is done.

-Pickle

35. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Hey (anyone that's following along lol),

I've been doing a bunch of coding, but there wasn't much to really post about so that's why there was such a break between posts here.

But one major feature just got completed in the game, and that's making wearable items.

Basically if you place a hat on, it'll appear on your character. If you put a cloak on, it animates with your character, and if you put a breastplate on, it'll change your whole appearance.

Here's a screen shot :)

Thanks for following along :D

-Pickle

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  36. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

This game looks really cool!

Pickleninja likes this.
  37. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Thank you Whiteleaf :)

Me and my friend are hoping to have a playable demo by the end of this year. 90% of the client side mechanics are in, it's mostly down to server stuff now.

-Pickle
    Edit: and content... lots of content.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  38. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Tried my hand at making shields over the weekend.

Ray is working on implementing the rest of the weapon types, and we'll be completely done with equippable items. :D

Thanks for following along!

-Pickle

39. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

We finished implementing shields, and all weapons.

Harvesting tree's is possible (kinda, basically it just removes the tree).

I'm updating the inventory window to include skills right now, and we're starting to implement spells, which is the last of the client side portion of the game prior to reaching alpha. We still need to overhaul the server portion, but we're making great progress (minus m wife dislocating her knee, and Ray getting sick lol)

Thanks for viewing! :)

-Pickle

40. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

We got firing arrows working over the weekend :)

(we set the arrows to random)

-Pickle

41. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Skills tab of the inventory window at roughly 90% :)

-Pickle

42. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Been a while since I posted anything.

I went to Iceland, and Scotland which were both amazing! I'm almost done animating a male character, and my friend has been busy integrating server code!

We made a transition off Godaddy since they're the devil (no seriously, my account expired for hosting, and they deleted everything), who does that!?

Anyways, when more screenshots are available, I'll post them up :)

Sorry for the delay in updates guys.

-Pickle

43. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Wow! It's been a while, haha. I've never hosted anything, but it sucks that yours got deleted. Hope your new host is good!

Pickleninja likes this.
  44. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

We're hosting it ourselves :D

Ray set up the server on his machine, and we pointed the DNS to it. Saved us about $70/yr in the process! I also like the fact that we can scale the server stuff easier this way, and hold complete control over the server should any exploits or bugs be found later.

-Pickle

45. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Character select screen now integrated with server, and male human animations complete :D

-Pickle

46. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Screenshots? Or none yet?

Pickleninja likes this.
  47. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

Not yet. I got the sprite sheets done, but the other programmer hasn't implemented them into the game yet.

Weapons are a single image that's rotated/transitioned onto the hand, so all my friend has to do is put in the new coordinates for the human male, and it should look correct. I'll post a screenshot when we have a male and female character running around :)

-Pickle

48. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

I had a conversation with my friend a while back about npc's and how to go about creating sprite sheets for them. We decided on having two seperate NPC types:
    - Humanoid
    - Non-Humanoid

Basically thinking about games like world of warcraft, you should be able to have pirates, and bandits, and bounty hunters...etc, without having to create a sprite sheet for each one of them. So basically we decided to treat Humanoid NPC's with the same regard as players in that they have the same sprite sheets and the same movement possibilities.

Non-Humanoid NPC's would be wolves, bears, spiders, etc... and the thinking is that those types of npc's should really only have 5 or 6 animations (run, walk, idle, attack, death).

So with that said, I created a skeleton sprite sheet as the first NPC-Humanoid. A bonus to this is it also allowed me to turn my character into a skeleton.

I also created icons for each item type that can be equipped :)

edit: just realized the graphical glitch... that's because I used an outdated version of unity when I took this pic :/

-Pickle

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  49. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

You should allow morphing, whenever you kill a creature you get it's morph...haha that'd be cool!

Pickleninja likes this.
  50. Pickleninja

Pickleninja

That's an interesting concept :)

I was planning on just having items drop that'll allow people to change into various things.