Search Unity

[WIP] Remote Console - Super easy remote debugging

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by marijnz, Nov 22, 2014.

?

Would you be interested in buying this?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. marijnz

marijnz

Hey all,

Lately I've been working on Remote Console!

Remote Console could be your standard logging tool for every platform. My experience is that receiving logs on every different platform (Web, iOS, Android) can take up some time and most of the time isn't even ideal (i.e. you can't directly go to scripts from Android's logcat). This plugin would pretty much get rid of all that trouble. Adding to that, it's easy to look back on earlier logs and see logs from remote sessions.

Here's an impression of the plugin in action (sessions and logs are from an Android emulator):

newgif1.gif
    The session overview

v3gif1.gif
    The console

What I think it's useful for:
    - Easily view the console output from other platforms within your Unity editor. Of course there are the default solutions for this (logcat), but my experience is this sometimes can be a hassle to setup and has to be done device specifically. With Remote Console, you only have put a prefab in your scene, that's it. All the other back-end stuff is handled for you.
    - Quickly get the debug logs of your distributed build. Give your build to others and see what errors (and other logs) occur.
    - Use the convenience of the console (going to a script + line by clicking on log message, only show logs of a certain kind, etc.) on other platforms than the Unity Editor.

What works:
    - Client side, debug logs are being fetched, compressed and sent to the server (hosted by me, as it will be in the final version)
    - If there's no internet, logs are being stacked and sent when there's internet again.
    - In the Unity editor, there's a session overview, showing all play sessions of your build so far.
    - In the Unity editor, there's a console that's very look-a-like to Unity's default console, it shows the debug logs of the selected session in the session overview

What's left to do:
    - More info about the session (IP, device name)
    - Search function, browse through the sessions
    - Optimizing, optimizing :)
    - Improve UX, improve design in general
    - All cool stuff you guys come up with!

So I'm very happy to hear feature suggestions, and eager to hear what you think about it in general. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have! :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. marijnz

marijnz

Replaced the screenshots with animated .gifs!

3. marijnz

marijnz

Improved the UI of the console, now looks a lot more similar to the default Unity console. Next up: Actual user/meta data of sessions, besides the timestamp :)

4. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

Interesting!

5. marijnz

marijnz

Glad to hear! What interests you in particular? (Super late reply, probably oversaw an email notification)

6. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

The stuff you listed above :) I mean, viewing errors from my testers and being able to debug mobile devices without the hassle of setting it up

7. marijnz

marijnz

Cool, yes that would be a perfect case. :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  8. marijnz

marijnz

Kind of let this slip though, thinking about continuing on this, mostly because in essence it's already working. :)