Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Release Manager. (Installer, Patcher, Launcher)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Travis-Bulford, Mar 25, 2015.

1. auroxi

auroxi

That's perfect, thanks.

2. auroxi

auroxi

When it has installed the game, when I look in the installed directory, my MyGame.exe doesn't have the icon assigned to it, but I have an icon.ico file next to it as a separate file? How can I get MyGame.exe to use the icon? I have assigned all of the pictures correctly before packaging and building the installer.

Also, when you change the Unity Settings, can we make it so it saves the settings? Each time I load the game I have to click on Unity Settings and set the resolution again before clicking Play.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  3. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Your exe icon will come from the Unity compile process. Release Manager does not inject its icon into your exe. If you are talking about the exe that launches the game. It should load the icon itself at run time. That exe is actauly generic so changing its embedded icon is tough. Is there a behavior you would like to see by embedding the icon into the exe?

The resolution should save and reload. You should also add the Unity Prefeb into your start scene that will sync up any changes to resolution and fullscreen into the launcher.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  4. auroxi

auroxi

The resolution and fullscreen sync up fine and the prefab is there, that isn't the issue. The issue appears to be for some reason the setting in UnitySettings doesn't seem to stick. If I change it to 1366x768 for example, the game starts at the resolution I've selected in the launcher but when I start the launcher again, it defaults back to 1920x1080.

5. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

I will check that bit of functionality again. It should not do that.

6. auroxi

auroxi

Had someone install my game (I'm now 6 patches in roughly) and here are the logs they forwarded to me when they ran the launcher for the first time:

The file C:\ProgramData\MyGame\temp\0.0.0.1b\Win64patch.zip exists
    The file C:\ProgramData\MyGame\.\temp\0.0.0.1b\Win64patch.zip doesn't exist

The patches I have made so far are as follows (in this order):

0.0.0.1 (the initial 'major' release - full compile)
    0.0.0.1a
    0.0.0.1b
    0.0.0.1c
    0.0.0.1d
    0.0.0.1e
    0.0.0.1f
    0.0.0.1g
    0.0.0.1h

It applied patch 0.0.0.1a fine...then fails on 0.0.0.1b

How to resolve please?

I've also done more testing on the resolution issue.

If I run the launcher, set a resolution, then close the launcher (not running the game), the resolution stays to what I specified.

If I run the launcher, set a resolution, play the game, close the game, then run the launcher, it defaults back to 1920x1080.

The prefab is only installed on my first scene (a loading screen scene), should I have it in every single scene (I can make it persist if so)?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  7. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Dont worry about the . in the path there it will resolve correctly that is not the issue.

Would you mind letting me test the game here? I would get better insight into what is causing your issues. Email me a link if that is ok. travis@celestial-games.com

The prefab only needs to be on the primary scene. It actually only does two things. It makes the game fullscreen or window according to the settings. (Unitiy's command line to do this fails) it also saves the screen resolution chosen back into the config if you make changes in unity.

Please get a copy of your installer to me and we can test it here and see what might be the issue.

Regards

8. HitsuSan

HitsuSan

How's this going ? :) Any news about html5 support?

9. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

So we released a patch for the Launcher, you would have got it. It stabilizes downloading and failures in 3 places. We have also patched the LauncherUpdater so it does the same. (Of course that will only come out with the next release of the Release Manager.

Currently we are focused on the following changes for the next release.

1. New compile progress screen.
    2. Managing weather your project is active or not from the Release Manager.
    3. Pushing Launcher versions from the ReleaseManager so your customers can get the launcher from you when you choose.
    4. Better support for the Launcher with full releases.
    Hi HitsuSan, I did perform tests with the HTML 5 plugin I want to use as well as evaluate the open source version. The Open source one is not really an option and the plug in version is $ 1500 so its going to be a while before I can get it. In the mean time I can tell you its basically Chrome so you can expect a pretty decent HTML support level. One concern I have is it makes the Launcher a lot bigger. I am considering how to manage that. I might let you choose between using the HTML features or not for a project, since in some situations that size is a problem.

10. HitsuSan

HitsuSan

Well it's all great news :) I'm sure it won't be a problem to upgrade to html5 once this program will get full release and it's popularity will skyrocket, we'll wait.

Anyway how much bigger are will taking about more or less?

11. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

I don't know at this stage, it will effect the size of the Updater, that's about 4mb download right now. The full html5 browser is much larger then the updater. I am looking for a way not to need to download it each time the updater is changed. That might help. Right now though I am chasing bugs, seams all the flexibility on how games launch has created holes I need to plug.

12. HitsuSan

HitsuSan

Ok great :) thanks!

13. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Some of you may be experiencing a problem when you start Release Manager. I might be re-posting that a Java version is out of date. If that is happening, please download the new installer from the store page.

You will need to uninstall and reinstall the ReleaseManager. This will solve the issue.

14. Rhombus-Studios

Rhombus-Studios

Hello,
    Enjoying your product so far. I wrote a couple emails and never heard back so I figured I would try my luck here. Will there be a fix for the out of memory bug mentioned in this thread? This bug has made it impossible for us to make patches. Also will there be a fix to the text in the launcher now appearing white even thought it is white in the designer? Thanks and keep up the good work.

15. Burglecut_0001

Burglecut_0001

It looks like there hasn't been any activity on this thread in awhile. Is this project is still active, and if so, do you have a rough estimate of when it might be published to the Asset Store?

16. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello everyone.

Sorry I have not been updating the forum post as we go. Here is some feedback.

We have been testing the RM with a base of products with our customers, working hard to make the Launcher as stable as possible. There are a few big changes in the up coming Release Candidate.

We are dropping the use of the Jet compiler and just wrapping the JVM with launch4j. The VM in bundled with the application. This is a huge change and will remove the VM license issue you are seeing right now.

We have added a new mode, service mode. This is for applications that run background. Essentially this when starting will update the application if there is a patch and the launch it without any user intervention. This means that if the application is current there will be no Splash screen at all.

With all the new modes we have had to extend the editor of Layout to be rather the Launcher editor. Other properties are now available from here such as Mode, Type of project.

We have an executable list where you define your executable. These can then be different in each build (this will make more sense when you have mac and linux working) Buttons are now allocated against an executable from that list.

The issue with the white been replaced is in part due to how we are doing the L&F for the settings screen. We are removing that look and feel in favor of you been able to specify colors, radio buttons, buttons and a background of your choosing. Its more flexible now but also more work.

There are many other smaller changes too but above it the most significant list.

We expect the RC1 at the end of this month. There should be a release sooner with some of these changes since the jvm license has expired again we are pushing for this much sooner. (With these changes that wont happen any further)

Regards

17. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

We are not sure when it would be in the asset store, we really need to get MAC, Linux and windows versions done before we go to the store. We will have RC1 ready by the end of the month.

18. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Apologies we get so busy we forget to tell people whats happening. The issue with the white I addressed in my earlier post, How much ram do you have and how large is the largest file you are trying to process?

19. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello everyone.

Version 0.1.0 has been released. This is a complete overhaul of the working process. I have removed the JVM compiler form the solution and am just distributing the JVM 1.8 with the product. Its about the same size and performs the same but it takes a lot less effort to build and means I can start working on the MAC, and Linux builds.

If you have purchased this from our store before, please log in and get your new version. You will no longer see the license issue with the JVM that happened before. We expect this will become the full version before too long.

Thank you for your patience and continued support.
    Release 0.1.0 (19 September 2015)
    Release Notes
    Sorry for the long break, we have been working hard to change the underlaying technology of the project. Its now done. 0.1.0 is the first build towards our RC. To get this build you will need to uninstall your current version and reinstall from the Store.

General

• Move to shipping a JVM with the Launcher Updater
    • System no longer uses ProgramData.
    Launcher Updater
    • BUG: Various changes to assist dealing with download issues.
    • Additional logging
    • Faster startup
    • Stays in the same process when kicking of the Launcher
    Launcher
    • Support for configurations to look different has been dropped.
    • Smaller download when updating.
    • Better handling of failed downloads
    • Play button bug fixed
    • Version tags are redrawn after updates are completed
    • Is now updated from your version of Release Manager not our central servers
    Release Manager
    • Status bar
    • Uploads new Launcher if needed
    • Installer tweaks
    • Now locks sensitive information after the first build is taken live
    • Support for opening known projects without leaving the Editor

P.S. If you still don't have Release Manager we have put it back on special from our site.

blackice-builds likes this.
  20. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

You may be pleased to know I now inject the icon into the exe before packing it for installation.

21. blackice-builds

blackice-builds

Hey Travis! Nice work on the new version that gets away from the JVM license issues... I ran into a problem immediately after installing the latest version from the store and attempting to launch Release Manager. See the screen shot attached:

http://imgur.com/NpnuShJ

Attached Files:

22. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Thanks, clearly not as good a job as I would have wanted. One of the files got mixed up in the automated build. Double cheeking it again. The first release it the hardest since I have to build it release it in the temporary build then install and re release it from itself. :/ thanks for the feedback.

23. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

The issues with the installer has been repaired. The download should fix it now.

You may need to delete the ProgramFiles\ReleaseManager folder (after uninstalling it, before the new installation will work.)

24. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Since this feed is mostly a wall of text here is a picture of the installer and launcher for an old game of ours that we are releasing a few changes to soon.

Installation
    install.png

Launcher

updating.png

Would love to see some screen shots of your updaters and installers. :)

Defcon44 likes this.
  25. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Release 0.1.1

Fixed a few small bugs especially ones effecting the packaging of new projects.

General
    • BUG: Uninstall was not completely removing all the files from the installation directory.

Launcher Updater
    • BUG: When offline was refusing to launch.

Release Manager
    • BUG: Windows program files icons were not been created on installation.
    • BUG: When you edit the types of releases you get an error when compiling.
    • Windows packager the side panel width has been fixed so it does not change as the logs grow.
    Don't forget you can see out project Backlog on our Trello board here https://trello.com/b/qxZ8ye1M

26. bis-obinna

bis-obinna

Hey Travis,

Nice work on the fixes and newest update. However, I am having some problems with the latest update when trying to patch/Compile my game files. The comparison/diff process seems to just get stuck and holds on to a bunch of memory. I thought, perhaps, that it was due to the two files being vastly different -- but I doubt that was the case as they are of a very small size and I waited at least an hour at one point to see if it would eventually move past the file. I tried both a "patch only" and a "full & patch" yet both had the same behavior.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  27. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hi bis-obinna, how big are the two sets? Could I get them for testing? I cant recreate this scenario.

28. MMOERPG

MMOERPG

Hey, I just purchased the beta, waiting on payment to process. This Release Manager looks great. I'm looking forward to the Mac build. I know you have just recently finished the Windows64 build and started the Mac64, do you have a rough estimate as to when the Mac64 build will be ready for testing?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  29. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Here are the MAC tasks we have. Perhaps some feedback from MAC users might also be helpful to us since we don't typically use MAC's

Done
    [x] MAC Icons done, we can now create MAC icon files from your png images.
    [x] For packaging on mac we just building a .app folder same as Unity does.
    [x] Release Manager runs on MAC fine already.
    [x] New executable definition system for each release type.

Not done (not certain how to proceed either)
    [ ] Pull apart Unity mac builds.

So here is the question perhaps some of you have a good idea how to resolve. Unity outputs a full .app folder for mac. It does not only create a nice neat folder of just the game. ReleaseManager needs to replace Unity's .app folder. So a few possibilities apply and we cant be sure whats better.

Allow the full app folder to exist
    We could simply copy the real application files from the application folder when doing a compile and release. This is probably the most convenient but feels wrong since the versions folder will have a lot of mess in it we simply didn't need. Also what should we do with any MAC icons we find in there. Is it necessary to allow the user the option to use those. Do we offer to pull them apart and create png's for the installation folder.

"Fix" the version folder for MAC when added.
    We could offer to remove the unnecessary files from the version folder after its copied and correct it. This feels like one of the best options but does have the risk of us running into a configuration we didn't expect and failing to "fix" it correctly.

Make the User copy only the files we need
    We could also make the users copy the files we need only and not the structure. This of course is the easiest solution for now, but its prone to ongoing errors with a release and we really don't want to expose our users that way. Right now this is how it works so we might at least for now go with this.

I would really like some input from you guys how you could see this working.

30. Maffew

Maffew

Does this have the ability to roll back to previous versions?

I'd be using this to push out software updates to install sites so a cool feature would be to have the ability to check what version each site is on.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  31. Barry100

Barry100

does this work ok with unity 5 ?
    I was using launchy back in unity4 which was fine but i want a new system and this looks pretty good.

32. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello,

It can do that but perhaps not in the way you would imagine. If you release a product say Version 2.2.0 then you release a patch to 2.2.1 if you want to rollback you would need to create 2.2.2 which would be the exact same build as 2.2.0. The patch files can not undo changes to a release but you can achieve your goal.

Yes it works with Unity 5 in fact it works with any executable really. There is a Unity 5 asset you add to your start scene. The plug-in synchronizes screen setting between the Launcher and the Game. So if in game you allow players to choose a differet screen configuration the next time the launcher executes it will start the game back in those settings. It also fixes as issue we had making the game windows or full screen. It appears that if a player uses CTR-Enter to move from full screen to windowed even if you give the game instructions to be on or the other the players previous choice will override the command line command.

33. Barry100

Barry100

ok ill have some of this!

34. Barry100

Barry100

purchased ;)

35. Barry100

Barry100

just installed.. got this issue?? any help??

upload_2015-10-24_19-55-16.png

36. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hi Barry,

Never seen that, will contact you on email and see if we can figure it out.

Travis

37. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hello everyone, we having an issue with our DNS so launching your Release Manager may not work right now. This is not effecting your end users. We are working on the issue.

38. Barry100

Barry100

Travis Bulford I am also having an issue with he ftp. some files upload - most fail. I have my own server (im a web designer) so I know how to ftp etc and I have put in the correct details etc. Would it be possible to talk to you on Teamspeak? I have a few questions for you that I dont really want to ask here.

39. Barry100

Barry100

upload_2015-10-25_16-3-15.png

Is that the issue your facing right now? If not thats the issue I get when running the exe ;)

40. Barry100

Barry100

hey travis. I uninstalled the program and now trying to reinstall it. I get this error/warning

upload_2015-10-26_8-30-1.png

is your system still off line ?

41. Barry100

Barry100

anyone? My Launcher and the program as a whole is not now working!

42. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

DNS is resolved. sorry for the inconvenience.

43. Barry100

Barry100

Hi Travis. Im getting this error when trying to upload any files

could not create working directory

44. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

Hi Barry,

The user you using for FTP needs to be able to create a directory in the FTP location. If it fails to create a directory that's the error you will get. Can you test with the user through an FTP tool and verify that it have create directory rights.

45. Barry100

Barry100

hi travis. this is my own web server that I use for my business. I set the permissions (so yes the user can create a folder )

46. Travis-Bulford

Travis-Bulford

I will see if I can make the test process give more feedback as it goes perhaps a log will help find the issues more easily.

47. Barry100

Barry100

travis i sent you a PM. I will be available on Skype till 2mp today GMT - i really need to get this working asap. Its crashing all the time!

48. Barry100

Barry100

i take it that you are not giving support for this product. I have been trying to get in touch with you since Tuesday with no reply! I sent you my skype as requested yet I hear nothing back from you? I have asked you for help with this as I need the launcher working for around Tuesday next week! It dosnt upload files, it dosnt even run its own exe correctly. Its crashes every time I run it. It dosnt work! Help me or give me a refund.

49. Barry100

Barry100

and yet again the website I purchased this from is down. I think this is a scam of some sorts here.. I feel like I have been ripped off!

50. Koolaps

Koolaps

Hi Barry100,

We all understand that you got some issues with Release Manager and it's probably not easy for you to sustain this as it's not a free software but I'm sure that Travis do his best to solve your issues.

If you read this post from the first page to the last one you'll see that you are the only one with so much issues so maybe those issues can come from you computer environment after all.

Travis have release it on March and this software have lots of potential so I don't think that he will stop the work like this.

One last thing, as you can see it in the first page of this post this software is still under BETA version, so please keep in mind that when you bought it you accept the fact that this software isn't complete and you accept the fact that you can have issues with it too ...

PS : I'm not affiliated with Celestial or Travis in anyway, I'm just a customer.

Travis-Bulford likes this.