Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] NO TRACE - Stylized Top Down 3D Stealth Action Shooter - PC

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SQMGames, Oct 12, 2015.

1. SQMGames

SQMGames

Square Mountain a small indie games studio consisting of 5 students. We would like to share the development progress of our game NO TRACE, a top-down stealth action shooter.

What Is NO TRACE?
    No Trace is a modern, indie take on the classic hardcore stealth genre, focusing on assassination, infiltration and espionage style gameplay. No Trace is being developed in Unity 5 and will be releasing on PC.

Meticulously plan your approach and assassinate target(s) without detection or go in all guns blazing with precision gun-play. Infiltrate, kill, and vanish. How you complete the mission is up to you.

Study your target's profile, observe them and case the environment. Discover weaknesses that can be exploited such as, habits, behavioural patterns, and potential ‘death traps’, using many creative and inventive ways to silently move through the environment and assassinate your target.

Activate inspection mode at any point to pause the game, and freely move the camera around the level to find points of interest, see character profiles, and plan your approach.

Dare to be Digital Trailer

Development Screenshots

Palmeras
    (Barcelona)

Mansion (Malibu)

Development GIF's

Stun Grenade & Dash Ability

Precision Takedown Ability

Combat

BETA Access

You can sign up to be a beta tester on our website Here!

Follow Us!

To stay up to date with the development of No Trace read our development blog and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for regular updates!

facebook.com/SqrMountain/
    twitter.com/sqrmountain
    instagram.com/squaremountain/
    square-mountain.com

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    hitmanchoi, pcg and kittik like this.
  2. SQMGames

SQMGames

Here is how the current level we're working on for the vertical slice looks and some prototype assets.

Vertical Slice Prototype

Textures

Placeholder Props​
    a15d19cca2fa47ed081517c20a4f6f1a.jpg

Dynamic water shader effect

Containers

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    MiniMe_ likes this.
  3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Looks interesting, quality texture and shader work.
    This is being developed for PC correct?

4. MiniMe_

MiniMe_

Looks amazing. especially the dynamic water shader.

5. SQMGames

SQMGames

Yes that is correct :)

6. SQMGames

SQMGames

We need your opinion!

Which of these screenshots of the prototype art scene do you prefer?

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

There's only a slight difference, but any feedback would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Honestly - they look the same to me. :confused:
    I like the first one - and the second one equally. :)

8. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Nice, nice stuff... AI is very important for this kinda game imho though. Keep in mind though that the games you mentioned they use a 'patterned' AI, which is less realistic but improves gameplay dramatically, compared to a more realistic one. I'd like to see a game like hitman where the enemies were a little bit less predictable, like, taking slightly different 'patrol' paths (i'm not talking about 'deviating' their paths randomly, that would be awful), for example, skip a room sometimes and enter a different corridor, also, it would be cool if they were more dynamic like, going outside a few secs to smoke a cigarette, or going to the bathroom, talking on the phone, etc. One could explore that as a 'discipline' scale, so, say, military or highly trained personnel would do less these things, while the gangsta next door would take a whole hour break to call his momma or something :).

Really? Look at the walls... It seems the second one has an edge highlighting shader that I frankly dislike for that art style. If it was cartoonish or something like xiii then it would be good though. Just an opinion.

I also liked the colours of the "Vertical Slice Prototype" image better. On the new ones the colours of the neons are combining what looks odd imho, and also, I've no idea why that wall painting is glowing :p. heh.

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

If you are talking about the ultra-subtle highlights on the bricks behind the coke machine - yes I see it now. It's so subtle it's a negligible detail, unless it's obvious in motion.

10. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

It's obvious to me... that whole wall is very different... the kabe cola :p machine has a cel-shadinish outline, the bricks are much more visible, not to mention the door handle.

11. SQMGames

SQMGames

Thanks for the feedback, and suggestions :)

We are looking into making the AI have random patrol paths each time you play the level, somewhat like in Payday 2.

Yeah main difference is the slightly cell shaded effect we've given to objects within the scene, as we are experimenting with different kinds of art styles to hopefully make the game stand out, rather than going for a generic realistic looking art style. We'll continue looking experimenting with it and post updates soon!

12. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

You're welcome. I hope they help somehow.

It's not that I don't like cel-shading, but I don't like mixing pr (photo-realistic) textures with non-pr shaders... for indie titles non-pr graphics are a good option, but imho consistency is important.

13. SQMGames

SQMGames

Here's our disguise system. We are currently just using capsules with materials for all of the characters within the prototype at the moment. We are aiming to work on basic character models and animations next month.

Also, we've added hats to enemies! :)

14. SQMGames

SQMGames

Here's our Hacking mini-game, which will allow you to access computer terminals.

Hacking.gif

pcg and kittik like this.
  15. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

3 rows of keys at the bottom... HL3 confirmed.

Don't get me wrong, so far everything is fantastic, but imho that puzzle is too simple. In the end it's just a simpler hangman with a tip. I don't know your audience but I probably would be bored by that. A password game that I personally really enjoyed was the Fallout 3/NV one. Although it has its flaws too.

16. Asyranok

Asyranok

That's a nifty hacking game. An alternative thought for one (not claiming this is perfect, but might be a fun try), make a memory game, where users can uncover a series of words. There are two tiles for each word, and you have to select the prompted word's two tiles which have been covered. And you have to match all the passwords/keywords by memory while making a maximum number of mistakes.

Some people may not like memory games like that, but I think the majority of people can appreciate a memory game. I think it's particularly nifty because so many minigames do not challenge anyone and can be insultingly easy.

17. Matt-Roper

Matt-Roper

<Of The Graphics> Unity Technologies

Looks great guys, I really love the disguise system! Would be nice to see the nice levels and gameplay levels merged. Can't wait to give it a try.

18. SQMGames

SQMGames

Over the last week we've been thinking of potential 'hooks', and ways make our art style less realistic more stylized & eye catching. This will hopefully, give the game more of an indie feel, and in-turn, dramatically speed up development time of assets and levels. For these reasons we've decided on a low poly, block colour art style.

Here's a quick glimpse at a small concept/prototype scene of a Diner rendered within Unity.
    Diner.png

The art team are going to spend the next week working on building a full Diner scene, which will be a focus point within our the first level.

theANMATOR2b and Matt-Roper like this.
  19. SQMGames

SQMGames

We've been working on our protagonist's character model and animations, over the last few weeks. Here's our WIP clips/screenshots that we have so far!

Idle Stance (With weapon)

Walking

Running (With weapon)

Moving through doors

We'll have more to show soon, including our WIP Diner level.

In the meantime, please like/follow our social media channels:

Twitter - Facebook - Instagram

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Matt-Roper likes this.
  20. SQMGames

SQMGames

We're proud to officially announce NO TRACE - A stylized top down stealth action game featuring deadly combat mechanics.

Meticulously plan your approach and assassinate the target without detection or go in all guns blazing with precision gun-play. Infiltrate, kill, vanish. How you do this is up to you, agent.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  21. SQMGames

SQMGames

New updates!

Firstly we've decided to re-design the inventory system.

Instead of a hotbar (Minecraft style), we've opted for a Radial menu system where you can easily swap between weapons and throwable objects.

We've also continued working on implementing animations.

Players can now vault certain objects, to make a quick escape, or reach cover.

We'll have more updates to share with you early in the new year. Until then, Happy Holidays from everyone at Square Mountain! :D

22. SQMGames

SQMGames

We've been working on level concepts for NO TRACE, that will give you a taste of what levels to expect in the game.

Here's the updated Diner concept, and new Hospital, Drug Lab/Den and Mansion level concepts.

We've also posted a Steam Greenlight concept page, to get some feedback and gauge interest in the project through votes. Check it out here!

23. SQMGames

SQMGames

Here's what the Diner & Hospital concepts look like in-game

24. SQMGames

SQMGames

Here's a quick look at the Mansion level for NO TRACE. Playable at EGX Rezzed in April!

25. Schneider21

Schneider21

Loving the style, although calling this low-poly makes my game feel like it's made from bits of formed feces...

I also strangely love that the protagonist is black. I don't know why. As a white, straight male, I tend to choose or create characters that look like me in games that allow it, but this fellow just looks like so much fun to play as already. Maybe it's also because typical spy/action movies always have a white guy playing the lead role, and this feels like a fresh breath of air.

Great work so far!

26. SQMGames

SQMGames

So it's been a while since we last posted here and since then we've been to EGX Rezzed and are currently participating in Dare to be Digital 2016 in Dundee. One of the requirements of the competition was to create a trailer for NO TRACE which you can see below along with screenshots for our new Palmeras nightclub level.

2f075df1a4d095465ef76d522a66ca1c.jpg b73eedfeeec5e400759a9139008b1348.jpg b079de0fa600d7f27c9a6a61f7d11128.jpg d7cd1cba0255966c11e1733d2be2cdb4.jpg

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  27. hitmanchoi

hitmanchoi

OH. MY. GOD.
    this looks fantastic.
    enough said.

28. SQMGames

SQMGames

Here are a few gameplay GIF's

Non-Lethal Stun Grenade & Dash Ability

Precision Take Down Ability

Combat