Search Unity

[WIP] Project Salvation : 2nd level, City design

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by varunvp, Nov 29, 2015.

1. varunvp

varunvp

Hey guys,
    I had posted a post earlier, about the design of the tutorial level for my game, Project Salvation(Link here:http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wi...-vehicle-combat-tutorial-level-design.362863/). Now I'm presenting the screenshots of the 2nd level, which takes place in a city. I'll be posting the back story soon....

The city's buildings

Some skywalk designs

Traffic Signal concept

City with holograms and skywalks

Footpath

Is the quality good enough???

In-game screenshots

I know some of the buildings are missing a plane or two, will fix them up

Looking for some feedback on the quality of the buildings and the holograms, and any ideas to enhance the realism of the city!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. Farelle

Farelle

there are lots of things you could add, as example reflectivity, lights and traffic signals for flying vehicles. If it's heavily flight oriented city, then there could be sidewalks on the buildings with reilings and shops on that height, aswell as taxi stands etc. and even in a city imagined far in the future, it probably will have trash lying around on the sidewalks and birds flying?

Of course can't tell how detailed you want to go and reflectivity might be a bit too huge hit on performance.

3. varunvp

varunvp

Thanks for the reply. I am aiming for at least 30 to 40 years into the future. Not heavily flight oriented, as you can see there are roads and footpaths.

And by reflectivity, do you mean the reflection on the buildings? (They use a spec shader already.) I had assumed that specular shaders don't have much of an impact on performance, isn't it true?

4. Farelle

Farelle

yeah I think specular shaders are not doing much, but as far as I know they also don't reflect actual images from their environment, but just bounce off a specular light (like just being shiny material)
    I meant more reflection in sense of mirroring the environment :) since that seems to be where our future is going.

5. varunvp

varunvp

You mean I have to use reflection cubemaps. But will android platforms be abe to handle reflection cubemaps, that too for these many specular surfaces? Or is there someway else to achieve the same effect?

6. Farelle

Farelle

oh :eek: I didn't see you are making this for android. I guess it's unlikely that would work then :/

7. varunvp

varunvp

And can anyone tell me how to get the title of this thread in bold? I tried putting the title in between the bold markups, but it didn't work....:(

8. varunvp

varunvp

Here are some more screenshots

9. Rombie

Rombie

Good work on the city so far; I would rework the textures in Photoshop a bit more. Add some grime and dirt to the textures so everything doesn't have such a "clean & new" appearance to it.

varunvp likes this.
  10. varunvp

varunvp

With some Sci Fi decals maybe??? The problem with reworking textures is that the models are too big, and they might appear to be stretched. Also, i would have to bake the textures to another atlas, which would again take too much time. Have to go the decal way there too, I suppose.

11. Rombie

Rombie

Decals could definitely improve the look as well as add a new level of realism to your city without hitting to hard performance wise.

I would give it a shot and see how things turn out.

Cgtextures has a nice collection of decals which could be used.

varunvp likes this.
  12. varunvp

varunvp

Well, just when things were getting interesting, my exams are coming up, so I'll have to suspend activity for a month. See ya!

13. varunvp

varunvp

Got a little break... Currently there are 4 types of buildings which are laid out randomly, but are more varieties of them needed, say, for breaking the monotony, or should I be instead focusing on enhancing the uniqueness of each building?