Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Porkahontas - Sci-Fi FPS with Pigs and Potatoes

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by tygoo7, Dec 16, 2013.

1. tygoo7

tygoo7

Hello I am tygoo7 of Thylacine Games and this is my first game I made with Unity. Porkahontas is an Action Sci-Fi fps based in space. Levels take place on different planets or ships. It is a pretty random game because you are a rambo-like pig named Porkahontas. You are at war with the Evil Space Potatoes which want to take over the universe and destroy your home planet Porkia. But watch out for the Gerbils which will try to sabotage your every move. I still have no idea how I thought of this game. I will be posting weekly updates on my Youtube channel. The latest update video is below. Enjoy! :D

Please leave some feedback or suggestions in a comment below!

Testing Download: http://www.porkahontas.com/download.html

This game is still in heavy development and is only developed by one person.

FAQ
    How did you come up with this?

No Idea.
    Does this have anything to do with Pocahontas?
    No not at all. It is not intended to have anything to do with her. It is just the name + a pun = Porkahontas.
    Where can I get it?
    Right here: http://www.porkahontas.com/download.html
    Want to help?
    There is currently one person working on this game(me). If you want to help in any way here are some of the stuff I could use some help with.
    -scripting
    -modeling
    -texturing
    -advertising

Notice
    If you would like to help out with this game send me an email at tyler.walter@hotmail.com

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. nikos667

nikos667

It's a little bit weird but...it's really funny keep up good work :)

3. Goregaming

Goregaming

Fps- (First pig shooter) I like it. It is original, I will be keeping an eye on this looks great! :)

4. tygoo7

tygoo7

Thanks for the good words guys. Stay tuned for more progress! :)

Haha :D

EDIT: Made a website

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  5. tygoo7

tygoo7

New this week
    -Splash Screen
    -Main Menu
    -PiggyStarGlactica
    -Mission Room
    -Loading Screen(kind of buggy right now)
    -Europa Landscape
    -Potato AI
    -Laser Trails
    -Gas Tanks

Do I have to much mist/smoke on the level, or is that good enough? :confused:

6. Paddington_Bear

Paddington_Bear

I smell a cult classic. Love it!

7. Bickerbad

Bickerbad

Awesome! But I think the sound of the doors is too loud.

8. tygoo7

tygoo7

Thanks for the feedback. I turned down their volume a bit so they aren't as loud.

9. OutSpoken_Gaming

OutSpoken_Gaming

Will you implement multiplayer with this? I think it would be fun to run around as pigs shooting my friends.

10. tygoo7

tygoo7

I am planning to but not for a while because I have no idea on how to implement multiplayer at the moment. I will focus on finishing the singleplayer before trying to implement it.

11. monsieur_alpha123121

monsieur_alpha123121

This is so weird but looks entertaining. Good luck

12. tygoo7

tygoo7

13. tygoo7

tygoo7

No Update this week! Been busy with the Holidays. :D

14. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Really really nice! Great concept! I like where this is heading :D Love the little humor touch too and I can see this as being a REALLY stable game in the end as well. Nice to see a lot of effort put into such a unique idea :D Happy holidays!

15. Justei

Justei

I see you are using UFPS :). It's a nice package.

16. salex100m

salex100m

I'm all for absurdity in gaming... but Porkahontas? Could very possibly be perceived as offensive no? I would suggest a more unique name... also it would help if you had a more unique name that appealed to a wide audience if you game ever became super popular... just a humble suggestion....

how about something like: "Nuke Bacom"

17. Goregaming

Goregaming

"PORKAHONTAS" Is very original "Nuke Bacom" sounds like puny, fake imitation of "Duke Nukem" it's shallow.

18. Cheburek

Cheburek

Just saw this game... I dont know what were you on when you came up with the idea but this is hilarious :D

Personally though I'd love to see smaller levels (like your starting location) rather then large open world terrain. It kinda reminded me of Doom/Quake a little and I love exploring labyrinths finding keycards and secrets and stuff. Large maps maybe a bit boring for me though.

19. tygoo7

tygoo7

Thanks for the good words guys! :D

I really don't see how it could be offensive. I'm probably just going to stay with Porkahontas.

Yeah I agree that the map is a bit big. I might try making a smaller more exciting map.

Yes it is a really nice package :)

20. tygoo7

tygoo7

Not much to show this week so no video.

Some things I am working on.
    -reworking the map and making it smaller but a lot more interesting.
    -Minimap
    -New muzzle flashes
    -New laser tracers
    -New sounds
    -Rocket launcher
    -NPC Chat

21. georetro

georetro

This is a very unique idea and I love it. Keep up the good work. I can see this as being a very successful game :)

22. tygoo7

tygoo7

23. tygoo7

tygoo7

Update 1/12

New this week is the ALED system. The ALED system is a binary star system of the two blue giants Al and Ed. It is the home system of the pigs including Porkahontas. The planets are Manley, Porkia and Gordon, Nekark and Marina, Karga, and Robboraz.

Next up on the list is the level on Europa, NPC Chat, and the Minimap.

24. tygoo7

tygoo7

New this week

-GUI overhaul
    -New muzzleflashes
    -New laser tracers
    -New PiggyStarGalactica interior

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  25. tygoo7

tygoo7

Update 1/26

New this week

-Spaceships!
    The spaceships will eventually include weapons for bombing bases and also will try to include spaceship AI to attack you.

26. Cheburek

Cheburek

this is really cool, but I am not sure if this ties in well with the pig vs evil potatoes idea. Your art and design seems more of a serious game like Mass Effect, whereas pig concept sounds more like a parody that one would play for couple of evenings for few laughs and move on. But then again maybe I just don't see the entire picture. I must say ship interior looks gorgeous.

27. tygoo7

tygoo7

Thanks for the words. Yeah the whole idea of pigs vs evil space potatoes hasn't been implemented yet. I am working on a new potato model and animations. The only stuff that's implemented now is just the level stuff. The base of the game, not the actual gameplay part. Once I get the new potato model done it will have the whole pigs vs potatoes idea. The new model will probably be done by next week but it won't be fully implemented yet. This game is still a WIP so keep in mind that these videos are not representing the final game. :)

28. DaveDexterMusic

DaveDexterMusic

It could only be perceived as offensive if the game was some kind of comment or satire on Pocahontas or the historical events linked to her. It's about as offensive as making a game called "Sharkspeare" about a famous playwright who is also a shark. It's just a pun, and a bloody memorable one.

Now, if it was Pocahontass or Pocahonky I'd agree. While I'm here, all those names are now copyrighted to me, especially "Sharkspeare" :D

Anyway, this is looking really good!

29. primus88

primus88

I don't know what you've been smoking when developing this game, but I want some of that! :))

Seriously, this is a great funny game. Everyone these days just do the same recycled ideas by the book. Sometimes is good to have a breath of fresh air...or smoke ;)

Good luck!

30. tygoo7

tygoo7

Thanks. This game was not meant to be offensive at all. Its a pun that I thought of a while ago. :)

Haha thanks! I still have no idea how I thought of this game. ;)

31. tygoo7

tygoo7

Update 2/3

Small update but getting some progress on the new potato model. Here is what I have so far on it.

32. tygoo7

tygoo7

Website Overhaul

www.porkahontas.com

Sorry for no update last week. I got distracted by other things.
    As you see. the website has been completely redone.

New Features

Custom icon
    Domain so its now porkahonats.com
    Custom footer
    Better layout
    Donation tab which is not ready yet

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  33. tygoo7

tygoo7

Ok I got some time to finish modeling and texturing the new potato. Tell me what you think of it! Next up is rigging it in Blender. :)

34. tygoo7

tygoo7

New this week!

- Potato model is all textured and modeled
    - Attempted rigging the potato (needs a lot of work)
    - Working on some website stuff

NOTE: This picture is not in-game.

35. SaturnsVoid

SaturnsVoid

Question: How do you rig a Potato? lol

36. tygoo7

tygoo7

Usually the same way I rigged the pig. I am probably going to do it differently because its arms and legs are a bit derpy. :p

37. tygoo7

tygoo7

I'm probably just going to post this on this thread because I don't think I need a new thread. So...

Flappy Porky!

Flappy Porky is a small little project that I worked on for 2 days. It obviously is a Flappy Bird parody. This probably won't be updated so it will most likely stay in this version. This does not mean I stopped working on Porkahontas, this was only a small project to work on 2D game skills. This is my first 2D game by the way. If you want a mobile version let me know! If not I will continue to work on Porkahontas. Well I'm going to work on Porkahontas either way.

Play it

38. tygoo7

tygoo7

A quick sneak peek at a new feature. More details of this will come in the next few days.

Also there hasn't been much activity on this thread. I need feedback guys! :)

39. ScottSewards

ScottSewards

The concept is creative and this looks pretty fun, I would definitely like to see a finished product of the game.

Regarding the parrot like model I am going to guess that it's some sort of scout for the player to use. The nose looks kind of tipped like a penis I would suggest you alter it slightly, it could just be me thought.

Scott.

40. tygoo7

tygoo7

Thanks. Yeah that's what my friend said too....that was not intentional. XD I have altered it a bit to look more 'pointy'. Does this look better? I'll have to redo the bump maps but that won't take long.

Also my friend and I got the whole layout of the level planned out. It doesn't look that good because this was just a concept picture. It's a bit hard to see the whole level details through this but you will see it in-game. This is the Europa Mission btw. Here it is.

Click to see picture

What do you think? :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  41. ScottSewards

ScottSewards

I think the altered model is much better than previously. Also is there a story to the game?

Scott.

42. Cheburek

Cheburek

from my experience with z-brush, I think you could achieve better looks and cleaner geometry just using Blender at 1/10 the effort. Also textures could use a lot of work. My 2c.

43. tygoo7

tygoo7

Yes there will be a story to it.

I tried blender but I find Sculptris better for character models. I use Blender to rig and model other things for example guns. The RoboBird is a work in progress and its not even textured yet. That was just one of those material presets. Remember that this is not the final model and might be subject to change. :)

44. tygoo7

tygoo7

Update 3/24

A larger update than usual but this gives a lot of details of the level and bird.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the current layout of the Europa map. Still needs a lot of work but its getting there.

This is not the actual level, just the layout.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a quick plan that my friend and I made. It might be hard to tell what exactly is happening here but you will see it soon in the level. We made this plan so its in my skill level that I can do.

Regarding the bird...

The RoboBird is a robot bird you will see on this level and other levels. The main thing is that they will give you hints to help you complete the level. The only thing is that...some birds don't give you helpful hints.

The blue birds give you good and helpful hints.

The red birds give you bad and harmful hints.

Some example:
    RoboBird: The key for the tower is behind that glacier. (the glacier falls on you)
    RoboBird: The key is over by that ammunition base. (you find the key)
    RoboBird: The key is over by that geyser. (you get killed by geyser)

But these RoboBirds will be hard to tell if they are red or blue. The way I will make this will come later in the game when they are implemented.

45. tygoo7

tygoo7

Update 4/8

Stuff being worked on

-Glacier Animation

Sorry for no update last week or this week. I got sidetracked by other things but I am still working on the level. The part I am working on now is the glacier animation where you are on a platform on top of the glacier, missile hits glacier, and you come down with the glacier. I will upload a video showing it as soon as it is ready but I am still working on it. Here is an early in-game picture:

46. tygoo7

tygoo7

Update 4/14

Stuff being worked on

Just a quick update but the glacier animation is getting there.
    -Glacier animtation 20% complete

Here is a video testing the glacier animation so far. The player is not animated yet.

Also on a different note: I got Flappy Porky working on Android mobile. It may or may not be on Google Play in a few days or so. I made a mobile version just for my enjoyment but it will be public soon.

47. tygoo7

tygoo7

Update 4/20

-Glacier animation complete

48. tygoo7

tygoo7

Any feedback?

49. BengalTiger

BengalTiger

If the game takes place in space - why is the pig not in a space suit?

The glacier collapse looks quite convincing when the pig can't keep the gun in its hands.

50. xtremepman

xtremepman

Bookmarked :)

+1 on the space suit idea
    Some particles in the glacier collapse would be cool