Search Unity

[WIP] Pokemon Unity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by KitoCode, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KitoCode

KitoCode

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pokemon Unity

POKÉMON © 2006 Pokémon. © 1997-2006 Nintendo, Creatures. GAME FREAK, TV Tokyo, Shopro, JR Kikaku. Pokémon properties are trademarks of Nintendo.

INTRODUCTION
    Welcome my fellow developers. I introduce to you, my passion, my free time, my... project. Pokemon Unity is a simple RPG game built for web based platforms. The game is based off of a mix of mechanics ripped from my favourite games/genres.

To point out the obvious, Pokemon. I have always been a fan of Nintendo, Pokemon has always been my go to RPG, with limitless options and what seems be a never ending list of creativite characters, Pokemon has always brought me enjoyment.

The other is a little bit more of a secret, I suppose you would understand it if you played it or knew me personally. World of warcraft would be that game. World of warcraft brought me the social aspect of raiding and being in a guild. I loved the controls and the feel of the game, some might say it is button mashing but they obviously never hit 2.1k in PvP. hehe.

My goal is to take my love of pokemon and have the limitless character options / creation. At the same time, hold very similar game mechanics to that of World of Warcraft, very similar to being a hunter. The Pokemon the player posses would most likely hold limited attacks.

MEDIA

RECRUITING
    I am currently the only Developer of 'Pokemon Unity', and I would love to see if anyone else would like to join in on the fun. I do not own Unity Pro, and we currently work with Unity 4.6 until Unity 5 because more stable. I am currently looking for:

1-2 - Developers, preferably ones who have networking skills. Optimization is huge with this game.
    1-2 - Designers, preferably ones who have a strong passion for the Pokemon Community.
    1-2 - 3D Modelers, Looking for Environmental artists who can create multiple objects with low poly resolutions.
    1-2 - Promotional Developer. Looking for someone who will handle all of the promotional advertising.
    1-2 - Web Developers, with HTML PHP database knowledge. I am looking to build a website that requires strong PHP networking knowledge.

***LEGAL NOTICE***
    As it may already be evident, there will be no financial gain from this project regarding any Pokemon related assets. If not mentioned or required by the Developer, all assets will be documented and credits will be given. If there were to be any help by the community, they will also be given credits. As this game is a fan based game, all work is done out of dedication and on your free time. Any of those who help with this project aggrees to share their work on a web-based repository hosting service. Any of those who wish to keep their contributions confidential may do so at their request. All who participate in the creation of this project understands project change or termination can occur at any point with or without notice.

2. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Sounds like a cool idea :) Though I think it would be a better idea to make something original. It's fine if it's inspired by Pokemon (and WOW) but it's a bad idea to use IP/assets from Pokemon. Even if it's a free game and you're not making money on it in any way, Nintendo/Game Freak could easily shut down your game, and that would be a shame.

3. Itasko

Itasko

Hey. Nothing wrong with building a personal non-profit project out of an existing game. Although, considering that it might be mmo (Not sure if you're saying it is or isn't), there's a small chance they'll close you down, but even so that's very unlikely and plenty of ways to fight it.

I love WoW and Pokemon as well. Currently doing a little project on the side using Pokemon as well, but building it around a tactical based combat system like you'd see in Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics. Maybe we can share some resources and ideas in the future. All of my work is free and open source as well. (Pretty sure we're already using the same Pokemon sprites. LoL)

At any rate that looks pretty interesting. Can't wait to see more of it. How do you plan on handling combat? Do you issue commands to the pokemon like you would with Hunter in WoW or do you assume control of them?

4. KitoCode

KitoCode

Itasko, glad to hear it. I believe that the inspiration and using Pokemon sprites can lead to possible future issues but as of right now, the idea of it is what is keeping me dedicated to its end result. I am considering chopping up some of the tools I am building for this game and releasing them on the asset store. I already have the RPG Style Text System being reviewed as we speak. I also have built a tiled to mesh JSON converter. It will take a JSON Script built with the program called 'Tiled' and convert it into 1 single mesh. Extreamly useful for fast editing on the terrain.

The combat hasn't been decided yet, however I do believe that I will be using similar fighting styles to that of a hunter pet. I am not sure if I want the player to have the camera revolve around the pokemon during fighting or stay locked on the Player. I suppose testing will be needed. I can definatly say that I do not wish to have the same battle style as Pokemon, I feel if I do that, there won't be enough WoW mechanics in the game, and I would like to keep it even.

As for shaing assets, I am all for that. Go ahead and shoot me an email and we can continue from there.

5. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

C...O...P...Y...R...I...G...H...T...V...I...O...L...A...T...BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Razputin and KitoCode like this.
  6. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

It sounds so cool but is this legal?

7. KitoCode

KitoCode

Fan based games and assets are legal. A user is allowed to use product assets and concepts as long as it doesnt bring a negitive effects to the owner, the game be non profit and you are building it for educational reasons. if ninte do approches me requesting a shut down then I will do so, but I highly doubt they will. If my game is in some way taking money away from them, then I can see it being shut down.

8. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

No, it's not.
    See previous post.

9. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

Hmm. This project seems cool, but I'm going to have to agree with the rest of the people here. It's probably best to come up with some idea of your own and just have some inspiration from pokemon.

However, if you're looking for a low-poly 3D artist/developer, message me. I'm not the highest tier of person you could get, but I'm not a noob at least, and I learn rather quickly most of the time. I'd be happy to work on something like this with you.

10. Itasko

Itasko

Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. Fair use is only one of many limitations, exceptions, and defenses to copyright infringement.

Point being, there's nothing wrong with this. It's for research purposes. Once he's researched enough and mastered Unity using these readily available graphics and ideas, then he can one day make his own game with his own graphics and such and make a profit. He may also teach others using the Nintendo material. He may also throw a few punch lines in there and call it a parody. I don't know. Chances of Nintendo giving a flying **** about any of this? 0.1%. Let the man have fun and do it his way.

I love it. Many fan-made games are way better than the junk the big companies put out. (Consider the many ROM-hacked pokemon games that are usually superior to the original) As a gamer, I support anyone who wants to make a fun game. As for Nintendo, they could learn a thing or two from those people.

KitoCode likes this.
  11. KitoCode

KitoCode

As mentioned above, I do not plan on selling this product. I am simply recreating a great experiance with my own twists. Really all I have to do is shange some textures snd the game becomes original but I cannot do that becauseI am not an artist. If the idea finishes, I am allowed to publish it on my site as a portfolio item for my CV. Thabks for helping clear this up.

12. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

I'm never amazed at how some people interpret laws with regards to anything digital. Never amazed. Ever.

Razputin and Acissathar like this.
  13. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I completely agree with DSSiege11. Getting inspiration from something and making your own creation is so much more rewarding imo. I just don't get the lack of creativity and fandom of creating something (completely legal) based directly on somebody elses IP.

@Itasko is 100% correct with the rules and @IcarusOtaku is following those rules legitimately.

But it's not a good idea to ask/tell someone to stop commenting on a subject just because you don't agree with it.

You are protected by the fair use exception written into copyright law. But you show a lack of creativity in a large part of your design by using someone elses IP instead of coming up with your own concept/world/lore/idea.

With that out of the way - I really like the way you set up the billboard 2D characters in 3D. That's pretty cool. Did you come up with that idea, or swipe it from another game?

Normally I would say keep at it and post updates - here, but in this instance - it would be real cool if you came up with your own design and used the concepts from your favorite games as inspiration to proceed.

14. KitoCode

KitoCode

@theANMATOR2b . I suppose you are correct. I would like to build my own ip. But unfortunatly I do not have the time or man power. If I could fet fellow developers who share the same passion maybe we can create our own lore, with fan made creations.

In the end, my goal is to create a game based off of what I love. If I wish to create my own ip, then I will but my efforts there.

Thanks for the constuctive feedback, the billboarded concept is out there but I put a camera that rotates in a mmorpg style with the billboard effect. I though it was a neat Idea, glad to hear others think so aswell.

15. DiRoll

DiRoll

IcarusOtaku, each of your trees is a different mesh with billboard shader?
    Cool project, I like it)))

16. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Is that the annoying TV guy who blocks the way in Heartstone city (south to Pastoria) in Platinum? I hate that guy, if PKMN had guns he'd be dead by now :).

Also, unfortunately the people here are right. You can't use the official stuff; nothing keeps you from making a similar game though... perhaps you could make the game moddable so eventually anonymous modders will replace the stuff with illegal assets from the official games :p. Just saying :). I hope you get me.

EDIT: BTW, your logo looks a bit odd to me because the distance between the eye and the head/cube outline isn't 1px. And the px of the eye is bigger than the thickness of the outlines. Perhaps it's more 'cute' this way, but I'm a damn perfectionist :p.

EDIT2: Here - I've fixed that for ya:
    precision.png

true pixel stuff:
    detail.png

I'm sorry for this. I'm always fighting this perfectionism disorder I have lol :D.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    KitoCode likes this.
  17. Ant_Squasher

Ant_Squasher

Do you have a bee stuck up your bu...ZZZZZZZZ?

18. Ant_Squasher

Ant_Squasher

You should be amazed. After all, you've never done anything as amazing as OP.

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If you guys start making fake accounts to start on each other I'll start on you.

carking1996 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.