Search Unity

[WIP] Platformer Pro

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JohnnyA, Jan 19, 2014.

1. trizero

trizero

where to download the beta ?

biscito likes this.
  2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

There wont be any downloads past 0.2.3. The next release will be v1.0.

biscito likes this.
  3. biscito

biscito

hey @JohnnyA , i can't manage to make the loopy hamster use a ladder... even with a climb/ladder/digital,
    any suggestion ?

anyone ?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Steps:

1. Add Climbable movement select ladder and set settings. Here's mine.
    Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 9.56.10 am.png
    Make sure you set a leeway this is the distance from the ladder centerto the character which will still allow them to climb. If it was zero they would have to be on the exact spot of the ladder to climb.

2. Set character climbable layers:
    Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 9.56.35 am.png
    The Ladders layer should automatically get added to the layer list, but you can check it.
    Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 9.56.45 am.png

3. Create a GameObject, add a BoxCollider2D, change its layer to Ladder.
    Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 9.57.02 am.png

Done.

(For animation you will need to add the climb states to the animator too, but thats the same as adding any other animation).

5. Chancho06

Chancho06

Hi there,

Will PlaformerPRO support "Spine?"

6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hi @Chancho06 ,

not in v1.0 as I'm really trying to draw a line in the sand feature wise.

But shortly after its very likely. Everything in Platformer PRO is well separated so plugging in a different animation system is very easy.

Spine is pretty popular these days so I can't imagine it wont be include in the next 1-2 months.

- John A

7. biscito

biscito

work's like a charm

8. maltakereuz

maltakereuz

Actually it's pretty easy to connect platformer pro and spine. Here is my class that's doing the job.

(this code is not a part of platformer pro so i suppose i dont break the rules posting it, or?)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using PlatformerPro;
    5. using AnimState = PlatformerPro.AnimationState;
    7. //[RequireComponent(typeof(SkeletonAnimation)]
    8. public class LvichkaAnimController : MonoBehaviour {
    10.     public SkeletonAnimation skeletonAnimation;
    11.     public Character platformerProCharacter;
    13.     Dictionary<AnimState, string> phys2anim = new Dictionary<AnimState, string>();
    15.     public LvichkaAnimController() {
    16.         phys2anim.Add(AnimState.IDLE, "idle_2");
    17.         phys2anim.Add(AnimState.WALK, "run");
    18.         phys2anim.Add(AnimState.RUN, "run");
    19.         phys2anim.Add(AnimState.CROUCH, "crouch");
    20.         phys2anim.Add(AnimState.JUMP, "airborne");
    21.         phys2anim.Add(AnimState.AIRBORNE, "airborne");
    22.         phys2anim.Add(AnimState.FALL, "falling");
    23.         phys2anim.Add(AnimState.WALL_SLIDE, "wall_slide");
    24.         phys2anim.Add(AnimState.CROUCH_WALK, "crouch_sliding");
    25.         phys2anim.Add(AnimState.LEDGE_HANG, "ledge_hanging");
    26.         phys2anim.Add(AnimState.LEDGE_CLIMB, "ledge_climbing");
    27.     }
    30.     // Use this for initialization
    31.     void Start () {
    32.         platformerProCharacter = ReferenceLvichka.player.GetComponent<Character>();
    33.         skeletonAnimation = GetComponent<SkeletonAnimation>();
    35.         if (skeletonAnimation == null) {
    36.             Debug.LogError("No Spine Skeleton found in this object. Animation will not work.");
    37.         }
    39.         if (platformerProCharacter == null) {
    40.             Debug.LogError("No Platformer PRO character given to emit animation events. Object must be parent of PP-Char.");
    41.         }
    44.         platformerProCharacter.ChangeAnimationState += new System.EventHandler<AnimationEventArgs> (AnimationStateChanged);
    45.     }
    47.     public void AnimationStateChanged(object sender, AnimationEventArgs e) {
    48.         // Debug.Log ("Animation state change: " + e.PreviousState + " >> " +  e.State);
    50.         if (phys2anim.ContainsKey(e.State)) {
    51.             string anim_name = phys2anim[e.State];
    52.             skeletonAnimation.state.SetAnimation (0, anim_name, true);
    53.         } else {
    54.             Debug.LogWarning("No animation for PP-State " + e.State);
    55.         }
    57.     }
    58. }

biscito and JohnnyA like this.
  9. maltakereuz

maltakereuz

Does Platformer PRO supports "stairs"?

10. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

You can do 2.5D stairs using the mecanim driven movement, but I haven't done sprite stairs yet. Totally forgot about it to be honest. Its now in my JIRA as a maybe feature for v1.0.

A big blocker here is I don't have stairs animations for any sprites. Hard to make sure the feature works properly without animations. Anyone have something they can donate, or know of a public domain sprite sheet with stair walking?

PS Thanks for sharing your Spine code much appreciated and of course totally fine to post it.

11. Sachnmacha

Sachnmacha

Just a quick question: I am looking at making a small platformer game within the next year and your system looks really promising. How long until the release of the version 1.0 you think?

12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@Sachnmacha Hard to say, I've stopped coding and am now just writing documentation and creating tutorial videos. I'd like to get it to unity for review/approval in the next few weeks.

Sachnmacha likes this.
  13. awejk

awejk

you can release as is and then write documentation, may be people suggest what the best to write

14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@awejk I'd like to cover every major area in a reasonable level of detail before release. A few negative reviews due to poor documentation could really hurt the product, at least in the short term.

outtoplay likes this.
  15. awejk

awejk

can you send pre release version some people who is in mail list? (one person, maybe someone else wants) The point is that we prepare our game for publisher and we are need to build iOS.

16. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Betas are closed now but if you raise a support request (or direct email to me) detailing your needs, timeline, etc, I'm sure we can work it out.

17. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

A little status update...

Although I said I wasn't going to do any more code I found a few bugs which I fixed, and also added swimming.

I did a final clean up of the structure in the Unity project so thats now ready for submission.

Doco is progressing: https://jnamobile.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/
    I'd say about 50% of the way there for what I would be happy with for release. This should be done this week. After that there will be of course on going updates.

Videos still need some work, I need to do at least two more videos before I can submit: the promotional video that will be seen on the asset store, and the Intro Tutorial part II.

Once submitted I'll aim to get some more videos done (How to's like Ledge Climb, Mecanim, Animation Overlays, etc). But these aren't vital for submission.

I don't think I'm going to get there next weekend, but getting very close.

biscito likes this.
  18. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Started going through the documentation you already have up. Thought you might like some feedback. You did a nice job going through each value in the inspector. You also did a good job going through how to write your own platform type. The amount of detail you put into the character components will also help anyone new to platformer - pro get their bearing fast too. So far the documentation looks pretty good. Also nice job on getting swimming in. That is a nice bonus for everyone.

19. zenGarden

zenGarden

Take your time even some more week end if you need, because rushed Assets from the store with porr videos or poor documentation won't help users and won't use the author because it woon't help the product to be a great one.
    What i see right now on the documentation is the lack of character and sprite screenshots to explain things, i hope the videos will be usefull to show better how things works.

20. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Plus one for what Zen Garden said. I am sure everyone will be more than happy to wait a week or two more for the official release. And after relooking at the character page a screen shot might help some.

21. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@zenGarden @cecilcruxis Thanks for the replies and information. Could you provide a little more insight into what kind of screenshots you would like to see? Would it be something like pictures of what happens to the character with different settings (e.g. before after with some arrows showing movement)?

As you say videos will help address this, but they have another issue, there will be a lot of video and its not easy to search (although I do plan on putting links to the relevant sections of the videos in to the documentation pages as well).

22. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Maybe I can use animated gifs to help address this too.

23. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

The idea of using animated gifs to help give a visualization of what each variable will effect is actually a good one. Not sure if this is a good example or not so sorry if this comes out weird. One example could be showing a gif of the player running up the slope with and without the rotate to slope bool checked. Also possibly show some images of what each different rotation type might look like too.

24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Was planning on showing the rotation options in a video, but I could look at gifs as an option.

25. trizero

trizero

do you add the unity ui control to the release version?

26. zenGarden

zenGarden

I meaned explained easy character setup on pictures, but i think you are right the videos will be lot more easy to follow and understand how to setup things and how to adjust them in some easy to learn and understand way.
    Perhaps you can categoriez your videos in some domains like :
    -common 3D character settings (jump, run, collision, attack) , replacing the character with our own one, modifying or using Mecanim, well the basics to make a simple 2D game using our own 2D sprites.
    - Advanced settings : climb , advanced movements for improved 2D platform
    - Specific character setup : loop platform, rope , specific platformer features for sepcific games

I think this would help people begin with basic tutorials set up then jump to advanced features if they need them later.

Yes don't ruch , even take 3 or 4 weeks :D, it's summer also, it's better to have good and simple to understand videos than rushed videos.
    And this is a long term investment for your product on the Asset Store that will pay back.

27. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Agreeing with Zen again. He does have a good idea about categorizing the videos. And also he is right we have time. Don't worry about rushing the videos. We will be glad to wait longer for a better release.

28. BigBite

BigBite

I think videos are fine, but I also think that GIFs would be more helpful. I would suggest using GIFs as part of the documentation (Shader Forge is a good example of this). Videos are good as a quick start, but written documentation is where it's at, so enhancing that with GIFs is not a bad idea.

29. zenGarden

zenGarden

Gifs are longer and harder to make than a simple video recording.

30. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I think theres benefits to both approaches. That said I'm not looking for perfect documentation from day one, perfect is the enemy of good (or at least the enemy of releasing...ever). Just like the code, the documentation will involve an ongoing process of feedback and improvement.

31. GCatz

GCatz

looks promising, will keep my eye on this

32. biscito

biscito

hey john, when is it coming ?

33. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@biscito - This weekend is all about the promo video and cleaning up the APK and web player to put online (i.e. so users can try before they buy).

I doubt I will get to the submission stage, if things go really well maybe a Unity 4 submission with Unity 5 to follow next week...

BUT NO PROMISES!

biscito likes this.
  34. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Another tutorial video down:

35. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Platformer PRO will be submitted to Unity Asset store on the 17th of August (I scheduled a few days of work to ensure it gets done).

*Barring illness and the like.

36. Jaans

Jaans

That is excellent news, thank you for all your hard work!

One question though: How do purchasers of 2D Platform Controller get Platformer Pro, do we need to request it from your support mail or will we get it as a regular update from the asset store as it says on the first post in this thread?

37. outtoplay

outtoplay

I believe it's evolved into a new product. and deservedly so. It looks terrific.

38. Jaans

Jaans

From what I understood it was always going to be a new product but was promised as a free update to people who bought 2DPC.

39. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hi Jaans,

after the amount of work I've put in Platformer PRO is no longer version 2 of 2DPC (I've updated the first post). It is a new product.

However as an existing customer you will be able to get a free copy by sending a support ticket which includes your 2DPC order number. I'm strongly encouraging people to buy it via the asset store to support the development but this will not be forced on you.

- John A

40. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

So as a new product do we get the initial version of Platformer Pro and any time there is a update we send in a new ticket for the most recent update. Or do we only get the initial release and to get any new updates have to buy it from the asset store.

41. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

You get all updates but YOU will have to request them via a ticket. This slight hassle is again to encourage you to buy it.

Although I enjoy making stuff, in the end I'm hoping to make a return on the 500+ hours I have put in to this project :)

Jaans and superwendel like this.
  42. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Thank you for the reply Johnny. I am glad to hear that we will continue to get all updates and I would not worry too much about having your customers to send a new ticket for every update. I am sure most of them will be more than glad to help support the release on the asset store. When I get money in I am planning on helping your official release too.

43. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

44. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

If any beta users have windows with an XBox controller, it would be handy if you can set up your controller and then save the preferences to an XML file and send to me. Currently I don't have a windows PC :s

In other news:

- Added a more traditional wall jump with multiple input options (press jump, press opposite direction ,etc).

- Added multi-input support so you can have multiple inputs attached to one character. This is mainly so you can have a controller and keyboard configured at the same time which makes it easier for users to have it 'just work'. Also allows player 1 and player 2 to both control menu system, etc.

- Fixed a few bugs around defaults, so now jump,walk, etc will get better defaults when you switch them in/out (previously anything in the detailed setting got set to 0/empty instead of to the default).

- Added OverridenJump to AirMovement_Physics. Allows you to control physics jump using the same interface as digital jump for things like trampolines.

45. superwendel

superwendel

The DefaultController setting works out of the box with an XBox 360 controller, just the jump and shoot buttons aren't exactly ideal. Do you still want it?

No trouble finding the XML files in the >Shared>Resources but either way you have me curious, where is the Custom Controller XML file saved to?

New features sound great John! Excited for the release.

46. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@StevenWendel - It's saved to player prefs, but there should be a button on the StandardInput inspector to save it to a file (or maybe thats not in your version?), it will prompt you where to save it.

If the axis configuration is okay then then just better buttons for jump/shoot and also pause (start) would be good.

Thanks mate.

47. superwendel

superwendel

I remember coming across it now. I got pulled away from my PC and won't have access until tomorrow night.

If another beta user wanted to get that XML file out before me I'm sure John would appreciate it sooner than later.

I was thinking of mapping A for jump and X for shooting on the 360 controller. I'm sure we can all agree on that :)

48. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Updates:
    - Put up a web player, still a bit rough around the edges, but good enough for now. APK to follow soon.
    - Added a TODO that I had forgotten about: Enemies can now activate and parent to platforms like characters.
    - A little bit of doco updated, not as much as hoped.

49. mousse

mousse

I'll make you a deal - I'll buy 2 copies if that happens. :)

You rock man, I'm super happy your releasing this as a full, separate product, you need to get paid for your work!

50. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hah extra incentive, and thanks for your support. It will be submitted pretty much no matter what. There are a million things I *could* add, but its stable, performant, feature-rich and the documentation is getting there.

By releasing I get feedback from real customers, so I can focus my effort on what matters to them (although I'm sure I will still add cool stuff that appeals to me too ;) ).