Search Unity

[WIP] Personal Project: Star Wars

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Xian55, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Xian55

Xian55

First thing first, i don't own any right for Star Wars.

This is a hobby project, i'm developing it in my spare time.

My English knowledge have lots of lacks, sorry about typos and grammar.

Most of the assets i have downloaded from the internet! I have asked most of the makers to gave permission to use it, however maybe i just missed someone! So please before you post, i didn't asked you or your friend, please tell me, and i will make a credit for him/her!

Origin:
    - I've started this project about 2013 fall, and since than i have a very good times.
    - For now its only for me. No intention for commercial use or earn money from this project!
    - The purpose for this project is to be more educated about game development.
    - I'm a big fan of Star Wars - play some arcade dogfight game.
    - The idea is based on the Rogue Squadron series.
    - When LucasArts didn't released the second game for PC i was very disappointed. However what Factor5 did is pretty amazing.

First Level (Battle over Tatooine)

I have designed this scene to a brainless dogfight simulation. There is no object or mission right now, just pick a side and ship/turrent and destroy the other factions units. The combat makes interesting when you pick up a chaser, you have to manage to avoid its lasers. To make it help i wrote a chaser camera to see your ship from the enemy ship point of view. This technique was used in Star Wars Rogue Squadron II - Rogue Leader.

In this picture, you can see an old model. I take the time to upscale the texture from 512 to 2K.

Features:
    - Bots vs. Bots battle (50v50 currently)
    - All units playable such as star ships and turrets
    - 'Battlefield 3' like jet control
    - Speed determine maneuverability
    - AI combat tactics behavior(patrol, defend, follow, goto)
    - Squadron system(small groups of teams and their Leaders)
    - Multiple ship main color(red,blue,green,yellow)
    - Battlefield system to avoid path finding
    - For ships, outer and cockpit view
    - Level of Detail calculation for better performance
    - Pooling objects/effects
    - Advanced camera control(escape camera, cinematic view)
    - Repair damaged vehicles
    - Minimalistic user interface​

Future Plans:
    - Extending AI behavior
    - New levels with game mechanics
    - Very next goal a movement based ship defense level where the enemy's attack in waves​
    - Voice Overs for team communication
    - Higher detailed cockpits, and models
    - Old models revisit(higher Textures, poly count)
    - Over the years i wrote so many lines of code. Make them module able​

Video:

Development playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLidvyD26lBfo5GGhcANomuIe0-eJu735P
    More screenshots http://imgur.com/a/WRfUt

Credits:

Most of the assets including music, textures and models are from 'Star Wars The Original Trilogy Mod' wookieejedi's wonderful collection and work.​

I would like to admire(warfull, Brand-X, zookeeper, Axem, Galemp, Newman, Jacek, greyleader, swashmebuckle, bobbtmann) work from http://www.hard-light.net/ (models and textures):
    - X-Wing, A-Wing, Y-Wing, CR90, GR75
    - Tie Fighter, Tie Bomber, Tie Interceptor, Imperial Shuttle
    - Mon Calimari, Star Destoryer

Also "Master Qui-Gon", "DTM" from http://www.xwaupgrade.com/:
    - Millennium Falcon, Outrider​

to provide and gave me their permission to demonstrate my project.

There are some Unity Free assets what i use for this project
    Inspiration:
    EDIT:
    16.05.31 - Credits Fixed, new Video

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    stkubr likes this.
  2. Schneider21

Schneider21

I want this so bad it makes me sick.

3. macdude2

macdude2

Looks awesome! Wouldn't this be illegal to publish though due to copyright infringement? Or if you publish for free is that allowed?

ITHTaras likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Dang! This does look good.
    Since you are only planning to release for yourself after you finish - it probably wouldn't hurt to send a letter to Marvel to see if they would allow you to release it to the public as a fan made game for free.
    Well they might cease and desist you - but if it's not publicly released - there won't be much to cease and desist.

Nice job.

5. Rombie

Rombie

Damn man; this looks amazing.
    You should find an artist and build some similar ships/assets so you can release this thing.

6. BCU_Euden

BCU_Euden

I'd be interested in how you did the bot v bot combat, I'm building a space shooter and that's my next task!

7. Xian55

Xian55

Hey BCU_Euden, there are two ways how the bots can know/detect each other.

- BoxCollider attached to the bot and if anybody enters to that collider, the AI will check if its an enemy or not and decide what to do like, attack an enemy or help a team mate. And there is one restriction i made, there can be only can chaser per ship. So there will be no case like one x-wing have 10 chaser, because right now the ship movement can't handle this situation.

- The other way is well i think its indirect. There is a Squad System which means 1 squad have 3 Unit(ship) member - one of them is the leader but its not important for this subject - and one of them could call help from another squad mate.

The Squads members try to stick together as if they could. They form a triangle shape pattern and the top corner position where the Squad Leader you can find.

As Player, you are also in a squad and you are be able to send an order to one of your squad mates to attack your currently selected target.

I hope i could answer you question.

8. Xian55

Xian55

ALERT, there are are some update, if you interested please check out my latest video!

Rombie likes this.
  9. anz24

anz24

Very impressive! Glad to see my team's models were put to good use (I am wookieejedi lol)! Are you still working on this?

10. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

This looks amazing, reminds me those late nights fighting alongside darth vader in Star Wars : TIE Fighter..
    One thing that seems out of place is the standard sky box, but maybe you've already noticed that..

11. SteveJ

SteveJ

I just have to say it, like I have to say it on every thread like this one...

This looks great - why don't you use your own assets so you can actually make a game that you can... you know, release? I just can't make sense of people making fan games - I really feel for you, spending all that time developing something that's hamstrung from day 1.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. salex100m

salex100m

How far have you gotten with the AI components? I'd be interested in having a chat with you as it looks pretty good so far. I'm working on a similiar game (although not FPS, its RTS style) called Interstellar: The Endless War