Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] PBR Modular House Pack (Exterior + Interior)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by bizilux1, Jun 14, 2015.

1. bizilux1

bizilux1

Hey all,

i've been dreaming about making modular packs for as long as i remember. I go to bed every night dreaming about snapping things together. Just kidding lol, its been on my to do list for atleast 2 years though :)

Long story short, i tried a few times, i failed a few times, and now im back at it again, stronger and more experienced than ever. And let me tell you, making modular stuff aint easy, some hefty brainstorming has to go on...
    m12.jpg

About the pack
    • With it you can make a house, mainly wooden houses, that would fit in suburbs of some medium & low income, your average factory working citizens basically...
    • Each modular wall section also has interior wall, so all houses that you make, will be walkable on the inside, if you wish so (you can also just make doors not openable)
    • All interior props will have drawers openable (great for open world survival games where you got to search for stuff)
    • Current gen PBR (physically based rendering materials)
    • Well over 100+ unique models
    • I will also include decals that will snap properly underneath windows, etc... to add grunge and wear & tear
    • Price of 30$+

here you can read more about
    In unity, model names cant really be that long, in UE4 for example, they can be 2x as long because they take up 2 lines, in unity, just one line... so with that in mind, here is my current naming convention:

A-2M-Wnw1_01
    m8.PNG

A - this is the theme of this set, i used to have this at Wdn, meaning wooden, but i need every last character, so i changed it to just A, and second theme would be B for example.

2 - now 2 stands for which level in the house that model is meant to be. It goes from 0 to 4, zero being basement, 1 being raised foundation, 2 being ground floor, 3 being all consecutive floors (first,second,etc), 4 being roof

M - Stands for medium size part... all models snap onto grid that is 1.75m x1.75m, that is small size, medium size is 3.5m, this is the most used size, then its large size at 5.25m, and then theres XL at 7meters, and i'll probably also add XXL.
    the problem that i have with this right now, is that models in project view are not ordered by size, because for example, in alphabet, M is before S, so small parts will be after medium parts... like in picture
    so im thinking that i should name them 1,2,3,4... too 1 being Small, and so on... that would order them correctly.
    m2.PNG

Wnw1 - this means wall with window, and 1 next to it, means window size of 1, there would be different sized windows, right now i only made 2, more are coming.
    m6.PNG

01 - means first variation, 02 means second and so on... here on pic you can see 2 variations
    m7.PNG

then there is also names for interior pieces, and extra pieces such as stairs outside, etc...
    Rough to-do list: (i keep on adding stuff to it... its probably some disease that i have :) )
    • 2 more roof dormer types
    • 1 more chimney
    • 1 or 2 roof gutters
    • 1 roof vent
    • 1 skylight
    • 3 different porches
    • Quite a bit more windows and window sizes
    • 1 interior door
    • 1 more underground driveway
    • 2-3 more balcony variations
    • second UV channel for lightmaps for all models :(
    • textures (big part)

this is meant only as a smaller test pack... just to test the waters, if everything is as it should... once this is released, and if its popular enough, i will be making much bigger pack, that wont only be wooden house but all kind of different materials.

im fairly OK modeller, but weak in textures... never really textured a thing in my life, and i have limited photoshop knowledge, so thats why i've been looking for someone to partner with... but its quite hard to find someone that is good enough with PBR texturing, and has time... and wants to work with royalty based system... (revenue sharing)...

I will also need a bit better name for the pack, i think? My company is called 3D Construct, or Construct in short... this is website so far... i will work on it ofcourse, http://3dconstruct.net/
    This website is also my thesis for university. In order to finish my thesis, i have to finish my website, and to do that, i have to finish this pack :) So yeh, this is quite important for me.

i will also need few people to stress test the pack, and to make some nice houses with it that i could potentially include in promo shots.

so... what do you guys think, any pointers, any suggestions, i mean anything really is welcome here.
    I will add more windows and more wall models, and maybe few more interior models, i made quite a few, and i also need to learn substance designer to make some amazing textures... so yeh i got plenty of work to do

one last thing, my pack is also going to be compatible with modular building system that was recently released on store, check it out if ur into modular stuff -> http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...ystem-realtime-ingame-building-system.325315/

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    John-G, Rick- and ModularTech3D like this.
  2. Rick-

Rick-

Looks promissing,watching it already!

bizilux1 likes this.
  3. bizilux1

bizilux1

was a bit busy over the couple days, good thing is i probably found a guy that will do textures, we will see how it goes :)

made a balcony door, they can come with blindfolds or without. (if that is even the name for those things)
    i know blindfolds clip against railing, so i'll have to enlarge balcony a bit

i'll post stuff more frequently now

m13.jpg

some dormer variations...
    m14.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Defcon44 likes this.
  4. John-G

John-G

Looks brilliant, was hoping something like this would pop up. Would love to test it if your still looking for someone.

You should also have plain wall sections for exterior as well as slated ones, for simple brick textures.

bizilux1 likes this.
  5. Defcon44

Defcon44

Take my money ! :D

bizilux1 likes this.
  6. bizilux1

bizilux1

had an exam on monday, so that set me back for a few days, business back to usual today, so here are few more roof variations
    m15.PNG

testing, yeh for sure i would need atleast one... so that tester can put together a few houses and maybe find out pieces that are missing to make that particular house that he wished, and to test workflow of the pack.
    you would probably get untextured models, like they are now... the problem is, i would need to come up with some paper that you'd have to sign, saying that these are my models and that you cant just take them and make them yours, etc... :)
    i hate that legal crap

plain wall sections for bricks... yeh i suppose i should have that, almost no extra work, i was thinking that would be part of a bigger pack that would come at later time, this is meant kind of just a test pack, to see if theres a market for that sort of thing and to maybe fix any possible fundamental bugs that would be really hard to fix once much larger pack gets made... but yeh, i'll probably add bricks to it, why not.

i will... i will, just hold onto it for few more weeks :D

anyone know any programmer who would write a simple snapping script for windows and doors?
    right now its a bit of a bitch to snap windows to their openings, you have to do it manually because windows and doors dont use grid system, because openings come in many different variations, its impossible... in UE4 theres an function called sockets.. in unity i havent heard of anything similar...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Defcon44 and John-G like this.
  7. bizilux1

bizilux1

right, thats it for today, added 2 gutter variations and 3 gable vents

gable vents are fake ones, only cosmetic, meaning no light will go through them, because they just snap onto existing pieces, there are no holes cut in walls.

m16.PNG
    m17.png

m18.png

m19.png

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    DennG, Defcon44 and John-G like this.
  8. bizilux1

bizilux1

made 2 new window variations that all fit into same opening, one has the ability to be opened and closed. i will probably make more today

outside view
    m21.jpg

inside view
    m22.jpg

LargerEagle and John-G like this.
  9. sluice

sluice

Good idea! Looking forward to this!

bizilux1 likes this.
  10. sluice

sluice

Ok, after taking the time to read through.. Here's what I have to say:

First off, I'm no pro when it comes to PBR, modelling, texturing, Normal Map baking. I did my fair share of research in the past to help a fellow friend and coworker. I'm a programmer, by the way...

Well over 100+ models
    With all the model you will include, it means that we will be able to create many house that will look different. Great!
    Your asset has great potential. I have been waiting for something like this, for a while! :D

Decals
    Awesome idea! Even more combination possible! You could take the same house and make it feel really old or dirty!

Not including Normal Maps
    It's not the first time I hear of problems baking Normals, but.. talking about making this PBR compliant, but not including the Normal maps is quite contradicting, isn't it?

My opinion is this: I think you should devote the extra time needed to learn the correct workflow to bake your normals.
    (You could even maybe find some help here?)

Normal maps have been a must for a while. They are even more important in gaming, since you can "simulate" fake polygons.. They can make shapes appear round, even if they aren't.

Also, if you do decide to include them later.. do you keep a high poly version of your models before making the low poly that is game ready?

Side question: Are you using Blender?

Your question:
    anyone know any programmer who would write a simple snapping script for windows and doors?
    You mean to snap doors and windows in their frame?

I'm willing to test the pack, to see if I can come up with working solution for you.

Were you planning on including the script for opening/closing the doors,windows & drawers?
    if so you, do you have that?

11. bizilux1

bizilux1

im also potentially looking in using shader forge to create custom material where developer will be able to change color of planks and bricks, for even more variety

normal maps... yeh im not happy about that either... i probably will include it, atleast for those objects that really need it, hopefully my texturing partner will be able to chip in at making normal maps

yeh if i create any high poly objects i dont delete them... or what did you mean by that question? currently i havent made many high poly objects, just a few so far

nah, using 3ds max 2014

scripting...
    yes to snap doors and windows to their correct openings, because wall sections have window openings on different locations, they are not always exactly in middle of the wall, and some wall sections have 2 openings or 3, and combination of door and window, etc... so grid system is not an option, there needs to be some script to snap window to location that i specify for each model... i know how it should work, i just cant code it...
    cool, then i'll send it to you when i think its getting ready to be tested

i was planning yes, but not scripts, i was planning on including playmaker FSM's... but that will only work if developer bought playmaker, so yeh if i could find some programmer to do it with scripts instead, that would be jolly good.
    if ur a programmer, and if you do a good job at writing these scripts, then in return i could give you this pack for free, or something of that sort...

the thing is, this was meant to be small, test pack... but it kind of got out of control already :)
    all those amazing features like custom scripts and creating custom material, etc etc was meant to go into even bigger pack once i get some funds to hire programmer, and maybe some particle effects guy, etc. :)

12. bizilux1

bizilux1

made a few more window variations :) so far there are 7 unique ones, in 2 different sizes.
    that diamond one was a pain in the ass... i've spent ridiculous amount of time on it

they can all be rotated 180 degrees to look even more unique and give you even more bang for the buck!
    (you can see i rotated the tall one manually, and it looks just as sexy)
    right now, most of these are symmetrical so it doesnt make sense to rotate it upside down because it would look the same, but im making more unique ones where it will make sense dont worry ;)

m27.jpg

John-G likes this.
  13. bizilux1

bizilux1

small update for today, was quite busy, so no time and energy to 3D model. Just made this little porch. now im thinking how modular should i make it... i will probably remove guard-rail and middle pillar, that will be optional if user wants it.

m28.jpg

John-G likes this.
  14. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Oh good - glad I'm not the only one thinking not including normal maps is a complete bad idea for any assets - pbr compatible or not.
    At the very least create grey scale bump maps and convert them to normal maps. Simple and accurate.

3 points on the package. Nice looking quality work overall.
    - on your balcony image, those doors are called - bi-fold doors and are usually on closets inside a house.
    - If there are those types of doors covering french doors (which seems odd) I think the accurate process for mounting would have the hinges on the inside of the doorway instead of mounted to the outer edge of the door seal.

Keep it up - and please reconsider normal mapping to keep the package useful to developers who don't have time or skill to create assets from scratch ( they probably don't have time to create normal maps either)

sluice likes this.
  15. bizilux1

bizilux1

Thanks anmator, yes i do believe normal maps are a must too ;) For sure i will include normals for textures, those that are badly needed, for example wood and brick textures and roof textures and concrete etc... object textures might come at later time, we'll see.

for that balcony doors i took an inspiration from this model on turbosquid, http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/491159 ... i do believe our vacation house has similar balcony door, dont have any pictures so i aint 100% sure. i will also make few window variations with these wooden blindfolds...

im not sure bi-fold is proper term... searching on google gives other results, yes bi-folds are used mostly on closets... but this i think isnt bi-folds ;) this is just french doors with shutters on them. something like this: http://st.houzz.com/simgs/b231a96401db4fb8_4-7439/mediterranean-windows-and-doors.jpg

it opens on inside or outside, its french doors yes... but with shutters against the sun. so that sun doesnt get through glass...
    m35.jpg

today i fixed some bad models that i somehow missed before... i never looked it from ground level ;)

m33.jpg
    so it can be used from inside too ;)
    m34.jpg

made some little bay window
    m36.JPG

and finished gutters for all of the roof pieces.

one thing that im not sure of yet... is if i should add shell modifier to all gutters to make them thick, because right now, they are only visible from ground level, if you look from top like in this picture, they wouldnt be rendered.
    m37.JPG

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    John-G and theANMATOR2b like this.
  16. bizilux1

bizilux1

Today so far i have completed interior for bay window and made roof piece that will allow for L shaped houses.

I might create few more variations of this L shaped piece. with some dormer windows maybe.
    i also have to make gutters for this new L shaped roof piece

m38.jpg

m39.JPG

John-G and Defcon44 like this.
  17. bizilux1

bizilux1

i've been thinking lately about the roof, and i think this is the way to go.
    i will probably redo all roof pieces, so they wont use these extruded polygons anymore, but will be just flat polygons.

because the way it is now, i cant use much roofing materials, and i would very much like to use all that are available in real world, ofcourse :)

and i hope spanish tiles can be made with only normals too :)

what do you guys think? its the right way to go yea? :) while im at it... i might aswell remove polygons from walls too, so they will be single polygons, for the same reasons, so that i can use brick, stones, wood, anything you name it.

now i just need to figure out how im going to design texture atlases... i think i will use same technique as this guy: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144838

i think if i do this... then the pack official wont be small anymore ;) also price of the packs will then go up in range of around 100€, depending on how many materials i add, and how many more models i add... but yeh 100€+

wall types - i will probably include most popular ones.
    m40.JPG

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Defcon44 likes this.
  18. sluice

sluice

Your roof relief can probably only be made with normals if they are well made.
    Best way to go about it, is to test it though.

bizilux1 likes this.
  19. bizilux1

bizilux1

thats the plan :) hopefully brick and wood for walls will be doable too... with help of heightmaps + normalmaps, that will make a lot less modelling work and bring down number of required models down a lot... i think this is the way to go...if each wall material had its models set... that would just be ridiculous, models count would be 300+ then

i finished my last exam yesterday for my university, so now its full steam ahead to making more models, but firstly i need to convert them all from extruded to flat polygons... need to complete this pack in order to graduate hehe, since my thesis is about this pack

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  20. jdraper3

jdraper3

I've been needing something like this. Based on what you've shown, this will be an instant buy for me! Keep up the great work!

bizilux1 likes this.
  21. jdraper3

jdraper3

Any new updates? Looking forward to this!

22. John-G

John-G

No reason flat polygons can't be used, them just use normals to acheive the results rewired.

23. sluice

sluice

I've spoke with @bizilux1, yesterday:

The asset is still in production, it might take a little bit longer as he is searching for someone to help with Texture.
    So anyone that is comfortable with Texturing and PBR should contact him privately. ;)

24. bizilux1

bizilux1

hey all, sorry for lack of updates, i took on fulltime job to earn some money, so that i can hire texturing artist.

pack is by no means canceled, just delayed... like everything there ever existed in my life, lol...
    so yeah right now im gathering some money, and as of today im starting a search for PBR texturing artist... which will quite likely cost me upwards of 1000€ .
    right now my finances are just about there... so yeh some more working needs to be done, to hire some really good guy :)
    i have a minimum of 6 months job anyways so yeh, sooner or later someone good will be hired... but i have to make sure i do modeling in my free time aswell.

25. Licarell

Licarell

I would look into substance designer, you can create many variations in textures and bring the substances into unity, also unity is planing parity for substance designer in 5.2.

Very powerful texturing program and will give you a lot of texturing options.

Thinking about it ... heck I'd almost prefer it without textures as long as the UV's where good...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  26. bizilux1

bizilux1

i did toy around with it couple of months ago, but lack of some proper beginner tutorials put me off.

im after some really high quality AAA textures, for example this is the goal: https://www.unrealengine.com/content/834fc8bc33524580b1338bdc24bf113c#&gid=1&pid=1

so if i started learning substance designer today... it would probably take me a year to make all the materials that i need, more importantly, i would lose motivation before that... so yeah, me doing textures... that comes in few years i think... not now

by the way, my current material list that im sending out to artists:

27. bizilux1

bizilux1

Hey all, small content update for saturday.

First picture
    Made a new type of roof gable of width 7 meters,

Second picture
    And then i made one slightly wider roof gable at 8.75m. I have also made a corner balcony. I think wider roof looks better. I will also made 10.5m roof, all sizes will be in... in all model variations, so each roof section will have small, medium and large size.

GameTechnix likes this.
  28. Atomic3d

Atomic3d

29. bizilux1

bizilux1

not a place to promote ur package (its a cool package though, i watched the video)... unless you wanted to offer ur services to me (texturing) but ur work is not PBR... so yeah...

30. Atomic3d

Atomic3d

I thought we have similar packages
    then I do not understand
    I thought it will be interesting to you
    sorry)

31. Defcon44

Defcon44

Hey !

Any update for you'r asset ? :)

32. bizilux1

bizilux1

will do a big update post in few days :)

long story short: havent found texturing artist that would do it for my budget of around 1k€ and would be of high quality, so instead i'll be making untextured modular pieces, and sooner or later someone will join me in as revenue sharing.

Defcon44 likes this.
  33. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

Modular houses are a great idea! I can see you have done a bit of VIZ modelling? I noticed you modelled all the wooden cladding in. why did you take it out? or is it just a variation for brick/render?

Keep it coming!

34. bizilux1

bizilux1

Yes, that was the plan initially, when pack was planned to be quite small. But as it grew, i noticed that i have to remove wooden planks/claddings, and also details on roof pieces... because then if for example i had 4 materials for exterior walls. i would need to make 4 variations of each model... and all those models have their own variations too ofcourse... so the math just doesnt add up. There would be so many models in the pack that it would be unreal. So i ditched that idea, and went with plain walls... and hopefully normal maps will be able to add detail so bricks will look real-like... if not, heightmaps can also be used.