Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Operator - An RTS digital heist hacking game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by StephenMorris, Nov 27, 2015.

1. StephenMorris

StephenMorris

You are a mission operator. When field agents are on the ground and need assistance, an emergency request is issued and picked up by freelance operators. One of them is you.

Operator is a real time tactical heist game for PC and Mac with a focus on hacking, gadgets and stealth. It follows Ava, a brilliant computer hacker whose life is destroyed by a mysterious corporation. In order to clear her name and find out who framed her, she must go undercover as a freelance “Operator”, using her hacking skills to remotely assist thieves, spies and activists as they infiltrate and undermine those with financial and political power.

Operator will be single-player only and feature both a campaign and a procedural mission generator.

Target Release Date: Summer 2016

Goals

My last few games have been mobile or experimental based so I’d like to return back to my desktop gaming roots. One of my favourite games is Uplink but I was always curious to see how it would fit in with a physical presence. Games (such as Metal Gear) and TV shows (Person of Interest, The Matrix) have always had this supporting character but I thought it would be interesting to play as this role.

DevLog

I’ll be doing a regular runthrough as the game progresses. In the past, my projects have been developed offline and then publicly shared at the end. I’d like to try a different approach with this as I would also like to get a lot of community input - that means plenty of pictures and builds. Any feedback will always be greatly appreciated.

Concept Art

Ava, the central protagonist (and playable character):

2. StephenMorris

StephenMorris

So a couple of initial screens should help demonstrate the in-game computer view. After you, the operator, have connected to mission control, you are presented with a blueprint schematic of the mission area in 3D. Each agent also carries a shoulder cam as well so you can see a live feed - this is important as there may be new information that isn't present on the blueprints.

This area is currently my test zone to experiment with the mechanics. (Please excuse the initial art, this will be updated as development progresses).

Using the available information, you can help direct the agents accordingly. They will also help provide direct access to key systems within the mission (such as plugging in relay devices so you have direct control over the system)
    • Computers: Hack using console interface to discover keycodes or important information
    • Mainframes: This would give access to all the security cameras within the building
    • Security Cameras: Tap a single camera so you can keep an eye on a particular area
    • Keypads: Run a brute-force hacker to override
    • Radio and Recorder: Listen in on security broadcasts and record segments to replay at later stages - useful if you knock a security guard out and enemy patrols are checking in
    • Junction Box: Hack to monitor and intercept outgoing calls (i.e. 911/999)
    • Safes: Crack and retrieve the jewels

3. StephenMorris

StephenMorris

When starting the game for the first time,the player has to set up a new account (sped up slightly to fit into gif limits!):

4. StephenMorris

StephenMorris

Checking bulletin board for available jobs:

5. StephenMorris

StephenMorris

Some initial interaction and camera tests:

6. NathanHale1776

NathanHale1776

looking good!

7. StephenMorris

StephenMorris

After a brief hiatus, I'm back working on the game. One of the key issues when demonstrating the game to others was they felt the control system was a little complicated. By using a WASD control scheme to move around the visualisation, it was at odds to the terminal console which would require clicking to reactivate and focus the key commands. The 3D visualisation also removed part of the feel of having a reduced information set.

With this in mind (and after an unfortunate data loss), I re-examined the visualisation and instead re-interpreted as a blueprint and dedicated camera/console terminal.

Already at this basic stage, this feels far better, more streamlined and experience enhancing. Beyond Payday's blueprint system, I haven't found another game that utilises blueprint views in the same manner so this should offer an additional USP and feel.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    CubeXYZ and theANMATOR2b like this.