Search Unity

[WIP][Open Source] Invert: A Platforming Game about Flipping Colors and Gravity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by _Gkxd, Dec 9, 2015.

1. _Gkxd

_Gkxd

Game Description and General Info

For the past few weeks I've been working on a 2D platforming game in Unity. The main mechanic in this game are the "inverted" zones: when you enter an inverted zone, your gravity gets flipped.

The purpose of this project is to provide an example of a game that other developers might find useful, as well as creating a entertaining experience with an interesting mechanic.

Since this is the first "polished" game that I have worked on, I want to try getting it published. Right now, it is on Steam Greenlight, and any support is appreciated.

The game can be downloaded from here. The same link is provided on the greenlight page, and you can find it in the repository too (see below).

Current Progress and What I'm Looking For

I am posting this game on the WIP forums because it is still a work in progress. As of now, all of the mechanics are finished, but many levels still need to be redesigned. If you have time, try the game out and tell me how the levels feel. In addition, there is no UI in the game yet.

Here are some of the things that I am looking to improve:
    1. Since inverted regions and platforms look the same, I need to build a player's intuition in the earlier levels so that the player can tell the difference between inverted zones and walls later on when things become more complex.
    2. Since I have been making the game, I have played the game a lot. As a result, a lot of the levels that are easy for me aren't easy for new players. Suggestions on the difficulty curve of the game will be really helpful.
    Any other feedback is also welcome.

Accessing the Source Code (Full Unity Project)

The repository that contains the project is on GitHub.

Bug Reports

Please report any bugs you encounter using the issue tracker on GitHub. I will try to resolve them as soon as possible.

Thanks for your support! If you have any questions about the project or Unity, feel free to ask.

2. Magnumstar

Magnumstar

I'm digging the visuals and the sound, and the character just fits somehow with the theme. I would like to see the background have some depth such as silhouettes of a town or setting of some sort instead of solid colors. This would pull me into the game more.

To be honest the inversion is kind of confusing in some areas where the inverse and normal triggers overlap like the spinning star. It actually induced a little anxiety because I wouldn't know how someone could translate that fast enough to make meaningful moves. Everywhere else it's great.

3. macdude2

macdude2

Honestly, I'm really digging that concept. Definitely didn't get the same feel as Mangnumstar, seemed like the player would pick up which contraptions accelerated you how much naturally by playing the game for a bit. Also, really dug the soft body physics, but though it was a bit weird he only seemed to have vertical and not horizontal sponge characteristics.

Regardless, looks pretty fun, hope it does well!

Magnumstar likes this.