Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NestedTODO, a multi level to-do list manager

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Zennas, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Zennas

Zennas

NestedTODO is an easy to use multi-level to do list with a lot of depth and customization. With an intuitive UI, sketch ideas and plan out your work by dividing the complex tasks into smaller, more approachable sub tasks.

Each task can have any number of sub tasks, and those can be divided even more. Assign categories or priorities as well as individual notes and see how your list progresses as the smaller tasks are completed.

NestedTODO also includes a board for agile development methodologies like SCRUM or KANBAN, where each sub task is turn into a card that can be moved across the board until completion.

NestedTODO is already released in the Asset Store and an update with new features was already accepted.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/64996

Features:
    • Multiple level nested task lists
    • Automatic tasks completion management.
    • Rearrangeable lists.
    • Custom categories and priorities.
    • Global and individuals progress bars.
    • Customizable Behavior: select whether the auto management options are active or not.
    • Customizable layout: hide notes, priorities, categories and/or progress bars if wanted.
    • Customizable Color Scheme.
    New Features in version 1.1:
    • Properties inheritance.
    • Link a file to a Task.
    • Task Transfer.
    • Extended create Task toolbar.
    • Save a list Configuration as the Default Configuration.
    • Support for Unity 5 prior to version 5.3.5
    Fixes in version 1.1:
    • Warnings on import where cleaned.
    • Fixed error when enabling preview mode in the Color configuration panel.
    • Fixed (hopefully) issue that causes the cards in the agile board to be shown out of order.
    • Improved default color scheme for Unity’s Personal skin.
    Screenshots:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. Zennas

Zennas

A new version for NestedTODO 1.1 was submitted to the Asset Store.

This version includes:
    • An additional Tag property for each Task that can be used as an extra option when grouping Tasks.
    • A card filter in the Agile Board window. Its only affect the first column ("Backlog" by default) since at the moment this filter will affect the card order and this column is the one most likely to grow big enough to make moving the cards harder due to window scrolling.
    • New NestedLists will include a default New Task upon creation.
    • The UI was sightly modified to accommodate the new Tag property.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  3. exiguous

exiguous

OK, it seems UT has messed up the forum transition somehow (and I did not realize it for some time). So I just copy my post from the new and now old forum since its missed here.

Finally a nested ToDo Tool. I can't express how thankfull I am for this. I already thought I need to create one myself (Had already collected some ideas). So if the price is reasonable this is a definite purchase for me.

However, if you need a "beta-tester" you can count me in. As said I planned one myself and maybe I can contribute some ideas, improvements and check the usability.

Some questions:
    How is your data stored? Does it allow merge conflicts to be resolved when used with repositories?
    Does it allow multi user scenarios? (not relevant for me, just curious)
    Can you link to codefiles and assets so one can quickly "jump" to them?
    How many nesting levels are allowed?
    Can you filter and search the tasks?
    What happens when an assigned category is removed from the list?
    Does a child task inherit properties from parent or must it be filled out again manually?
    Is there "time tracking" so when you start work on a task and end it the time is counted so you get an overview on what you spent time in your project?

I don't want to demand all thos things and features. I just want to hear your thoughts.

Anyway, discovering your thread made my day. Thanks for developing this and I can't wait to see it on the asset store. And if you want me to look over it just drop me a message.

4. Zennas

Zennas

Glad to know you like it :)

Each nested list is stored individually in a scriptableobject, and internally each one has a list of nodes.
    Due to the way Unity handles serialization, i couldn't use the normal approach for a tree structure (having a root node and pointers to the child nodes) so i had to fake it and manage all the position and nesting using the positions in the list.

For now at least there is no check for merge conflicts, i haven't with repositories too much my self so i didn't really thought about it. I'll do some research and see what i can find.

There's also no multi user (yet), i thought about it at one point but since i am a solo developer i kind of forget about it while implementing the SerializableObject API (everything broke during that). Probably will look into this (and the merging conflict check) when Unity Collaborate is released (something tell me that all sorts of error will popup later if i work on it now).

Didn't thought about linking files, should be possible if i make some space for it.

Since i'm faking a tree structure, i still haven't hit a max nesting level or depth allowed but, seeing that i'm using an interger to keep track of a node depth, i'll say the real max would be around 2147483647 :D

The task can be filtered by completed/uncompleted, category and priority. There's no search function beyond that.

If a category is removed, all tasks assigned to that will be set to the standard category ("None" by default, yet this can be renamed if wanted).

Didn't thought about either, yet i will add options for that right now ;)

The only time tracking is for the agile part of the tool (the ms paint like window i call a Burndown Chart), where all points for leaf nodes are summed in a day by day basis. Something like what you describe could be added by having a button to start the "timer" (to let the tool know in what you will be working) and then comparing how much time passed when the task is completed or the button is pressed again. Yet, at least for now, i don't think something like this will be added soon (unless heavy requested), i'd like to wait a bit and make sure the core features are as stable as i can make them be.

5. christianstrang

christianstrang

Great Plugin!
    I have an issue, the plugin throws the following two errors (every time I stop my game):
    http://imgur.com/a/IdXfq

It doesn't hinder the functionality, its just annoying to have these errors thrown. Is there a fix for this?

Forgot to mention it: I'm using Unity 5.4.1f

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  6. Zennas

Zennas

Hi, just wanted to say that there is a small error when using NestedTODO in Unity 5.5 due to unity changing the way a funcion is used. I already send a fixed version for revision so in the mean time, the error is in the AgileBoardWindow.cs file and can be fixed by replacing the line 371 with this code

dragRect.position = Vector2.SmoothDamp(dragRect.position, mousePos + offset, ref smooth, .25f, 100, Time.deltaTime);

also, about the issues posted above, after talking with simpleplaystudio it seems that those errors where not related to NestedTODO.

second also, now that Unity 5.5 is out and Collaborate is in (i believe) open beta, i'll check how to make NestedTODO more git friendly, though it may take some time before any mayor update.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  7. GorillaJoes

GorillaJoes

Is there anyway to print out or export to csv file or anything? I want to be able to email and send as a progress updates.

8. Zennas

Zennas

Hi @Gorilla_Joes, right now there´s no way to export the data. I'll look into it as soon as I can find some spare time.

(Wow, it was indeed a long time since the last update. I'll try my best to get this one done as soon as possible)

9. GorillaJoes

GorillaJoes

That would be great. So far I am really liking this. I have used JIRA quite a bit, but prefer the simplicity of this. :)

10. AthrunVLokiz

AthrunVLokiz

Hello, @Zennas Can you update NestedTODO for me?

I have requested some function for record date time when I have done those task. That they will show on some window called by "submit task list" or anything(I don't know what called it).

Thanks, for great work. :D

11. Zennas

Zennas

I'll see if i can find some time to add a "completed at date" field (i'm in the middle of moving, so it might take a bit). Probably will add them to each task info (with an option to enable/disable it) and as a field when exporting the list to cvs.

AthrunVLokiz likes this.
  12. AthrunVLokiz

AthrunVLokiz

Thanks a lot, I'm looking forward.

13. Zennas

Zennas

@AthrunVLokiz

Hi, sorry for the wait, im currently submitting a new version of NestedTODO with the "completed at date" feature you requested.

Capture.PNG

AthrunVLokiz likes this.
  14. AthrunVLokiz

AthrunVLokiz

Wow, you're amazing and then I can update a new version with old NestedList? OR I should create a new one because I have an existing project.

Thanks for the update, Cheer!!

15. Zennas

Zennas

Just updating should be enogh, altought its always recommended to save a backup before updating any asset store plugins (unless its says to delete old version). Just to be sure, save a copy of the NestedTODO root folder and any NestedList asset.

AthrunVLokiz likes this.
  16. Zennas

Zennas

@AthrunVLokiz

The update was approved and the new version is live on the asset store :)

AthrunVLokiz likes this.
  17. GreaserMonkey

GreaserMonkey

It seems that category and tag column widths are not configurable. With longer categories or tags it's hard to read. Could you make the column widths adjustable or even better if they could autofit to the longest text length? There could/should be a max length for the column width if autofitting I think.

upload_2020-4-12_12-44-23.png