Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] NeoFur - Fur, Fibers, Fuzzy surfaces and more!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cman2k, Aug 4, 2016.

1. cman2k

cman2k

Dear customers/fans/friends, we have an important and exciting update:

The Neoglyphic team is moving on to a new, cool adventure! Our new path allows us to push forward with our passion for building great technology and experiences. We will be going through a transition over the coming months and hope to share more details after that time. In the meantime, we will not be selling new NeoFur licenses. Please see our website for more details: www.neoglyphic.com

To existing NeoFur customers: your licenses are still valid and you should have received an email from us – if you didn’t please contact us at neofur@neoglyphic.com.

It has been a wonderful journey building worlds, stories, art, music and technology for you all – thank you for your support!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Not_Sure, overthere, Farelle and 3 others like this.
  2. coldpizzapunk

coldpizzapunk

Great to see this ported to Unity, it is a fantastic fur solution. So far it's worked great in Unreal for my work. Can we expect the same level of controls and content creation process in the Unity Version? For instance Morph Target Controlled Fur Lengths. Trying to understand if my prepped assets for Unreal Neofur will be the same for Unity Neofur?

3. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

great!. looking forward to it.

RizeoftheSummonds likes this.
  4. cman2k

cman2k

@coldpizzapunk Absolutely, we fully expect to support the same authoring methodologies, which would make source assets easily portable.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'll give it a test run, signed up!

6. nbac

nbac

really nice to see that tech in unity as well! signed up

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hopefully PS4 support?

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I signed up last Thursday and haven't gotten a confirmation or communication at all.
    Are you sending out betas yet?

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There was a confirm, but it was in my junk mail, so check that if you're unsure.

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

By shell geometry, do you mean the old school duplicating and offsetting the geometry and then doing some fancy alpha blending/testing, or are you doing something different?

11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

No better person to push the limits of stability of an animation driven system than a dedicated animator! :D
    Although I totally understand the decision to keep beta testing manageable.

Thanks hippo - was just looking at confirmation the beta app went through.
    The site was a bit odd with two different methods to sign up.

12. MitchC

MitchC

I just came across Neofur while Googling for a nice fur solution. This looks great! Very keen to try it out on Unity, it looks like it could be very handy for our next project. :)

Has the beta started going out to people yet? I've only just signed up for it today.

13. peet808

peet808

@MitchC - Thanks for submitting an application! We're putting in some final tweaks so we have a product that we feel comfortable calling a beta. We should have more news in about a week.

We are still taking application for the Unity beta if more people are interested in giving it a try.
    Beta Signup: http://neoglyphic.com/neofur/

--Pete :: NeoFur Product Manager

14. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Applied. We are currently testing different solutions for fur for a project we are working on and it would be very interesting to see if NeoFur would improve on what we've got. We are currently using Marza's Fur shader, modified to support deferred shading and simple gravitation.

15. killer1171090

killer1171090

Applied as well! Are you supposed to get an email saying you subscribed?

16. peet808

peet808

Thank you so much to all of you who've been following us and have expressed interest in the beta testing of NeoFur for Unity. We're truly humbled by the response. We've now sent out follow up emails to everyone who's signed up. If you signed up but haven't seen the email, please check you junk mail folders.

Beta sign-ups will still be open through close-of-business on Friday, September 2nd. If you're still interested, please submit a request at http://www.neoglyphic.com/neofur.

Thanks again!
    --Pete

MitchC likes this.
  17. peet808

peet808

Hi everyone!
    Our Unity beta test has been going very well and we're getting pretty close now. I wanted to let everyone know that we're going to be giving a talk on NeoFur at Unite LA this week.

Come see Carlos Montero and Dane Glasgow talk about NeoFur, how it works, and how easy it is to use. They'll also have coupon codes for NeoFur for Unity.

November 2, 5:30pm - 6:30pm - Breakout 2
    Bringing soft and fuzzy surfaces to Unity - Dane Glasgow & Carlos Montero
    NeoFur is a real-time fur plugin for Unity that offers world-class graphics, utilizing the latest in compute shader technology for physics and drawing, and physically-based rendering for lighting and shading. Attendees will gain an understanding of why this approach was tackled in this way, how it was approached, and what it entails. A behind-the-scenes look of how the technology works is coupled with a practical look at how at easy it is to use in production.

jdraper3 likes this.
  18. Knightmore

Knightmore

I wonder how NeoFur would do its job for human beards.
    Just found some amazing screenshots with wolves or even donkey kong.

19. peet808

peet808

Thanks for everyone who stopped by to see us at Unite! It was really great to meet everyone.

For those that didn't, we have some big news:

NeoFur for Unity is now available for Pre-Order!!
    We've announced our release date as December 1st 2016. To reflect our excitement about this, we're having a month long 30% off sale leading up to launch. From now until December 1st, you can pre-order NeoFur for Unity Indie edition for $69.00.
    The gravy on top: Since we know you don't want to wait until December 1, we're making our beta releases available to all pre-order customers up until release.

You can check our out updated Unity page for more details and to pre-order NeoFur for Unity.
    https://www.neoglyphic.com/neofur/unity

neofur_editor_before_after.jpg

20. nbac

nbac

can we achieve the same quality as in ue4 with this assets !? the unity screenshots look a lot more "simple" compared to the ue4 showcases

21. virror

virror

So, i buy this i can only use it for a single title? Seems very restrictive : (
    Also, im curious to see some performance numbers.

22. peet808

peet808

@virror - Thanks for the feedback. We do think a lot about our licensing and have tried to find a balance that makes NeoFur accessible to as many people as possible while still enabling us to continue developing.

The per-project license is considered "used" when the project ships. If you pivot in the middle of you dev cycle and never ship, you'll be able to continue to use your license until it applies to a shipped product. We ask as a courtesy that you let us know if this happens, but you won't need a new license. Another benefit is that if you have multiple developers on a single project then you still only need one license.

We have more information in our licensing FAQ on our support site: http://support.neoglyphic.com/topics/52-license-faq/

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.
    --Pete

23. virror

virror

Ok, thats sounds good, its indeed a good thing to only need one license even if your many ppl. Did you have any performance numbers?

24. peet808

peet808

@virror - Similar to what we've done for Unreal, we have a real-time PC demo built with NeoFur for Unity that's pending release in the next few days. The demo will allow you to see the performance first hand. I'll be sure to post here when it's available.

You're welcome to check out our existing demos built on Unreal to get an idea of what we're shooting for and capable of.
    PC: https://www.neoglyphic.com/neofur
    iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/neofur-playground/id1157714236?mt=8
    Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neoglyphic.neofurdemo

--Pete

25. virror

virror

Cool, thank!

26. peet808

peet808

As promised, our Unity demo is now available:https://www.neoglyphic.com/neofur/demo. The free downloadable demo is a compiled version of our included demo hall that shows off the features and performance of NeoFur for Unity and is available 64-bit Windows. We will be releasing MacOS and mobile demos as well in the near future.

Also, as a reminder, our 30% off pre-sale is still going on through the end of the month. With the chilly winter months ahead, stock up on your fur for Unity now!
    --Pete

27. nbac

nbac

i guess technically you are doing similar things independend from unity or ue4 so the development profits from things you have already done and figured out in ue 4 right? i am aware that this was a beta but i was wondering if you try or if you are able to achieve the same quality or if there are limitations or somewhat.

28. blackant

blackant

Hello, !
    i just finished my first character using Neo Fur.
    what do you think about it ?
    I just need some help about dynamic parameters, i would like it to be smooth for longs parts,
    wich parameters should i use ?

peet808 likes this.
  29. Erivest

Erivest

I can not get this to work, the demo I mean.Could you tell me how to install this please.

30. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

The PC demo looks great, how is the mobile Unity performance?

31. peet808

peet808

@Adam-Bailey

@blackant - We're liking Yoos Key! If I'm understanding what you're looking for here, you're looking to smooth out the tail, right? More shells will help and ideally making a separate fur asset where you can customize the fur shading. We've added some documentation today that might help: http://support.neoglyphic.com/forums/6-neofur-for-unity-beta-kb/

@Erivest - Just unzip the archive and run the executable. What platform are you trying to run this on?

@Adam-Bailey - We just shipped mobile functionality with our latest beta (Nov 21st). We're hoping to have a downloadable mobile demo before too long so you'll be able to evaluate it yourself. If you've had a chance to look at the mobile demos we built for Unreal you can see the performance that we're aiming for.

32. RizeoftheSummonds

RizeoftheSummonds

Wow!! I just checked out your youtube tutorial video pertaining to this software. This looks promising and interesting. In the tutorial, your team was using 3Ds Max to create and export the fur and import into Unreal Engine 4. Last time I checked, uploading fur/hair from 3Ds Max or Maya to UE4 or Unity was problematic by using up so much memory. But I guess this plugin/software, erases those problems. Looking forward to checking this program out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2016
  33. Spike_Felion

Spike_Felion

So I went onto the website and nothing pops up when I click buy unity personal version.also is their any difference between the personal and indie version

34. Skippu

Skippu

I've been looking over both the Unity and Unreal demos and this product looks amazing. As soon as you can add a way to paint the fur directly onto an object or mesh then you will have the most powerful fur tool available! I can't wait to see what amazing characters we're all going to come up with using your software at its core.

I do have to ask though, will this be available from the Unity asset store or only from your own online shop?

35. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Hi @cman2k , how is this shader on draw calls? I have previously used shell based fur shaders before, and each shell was one draw call, which meant that a 20 shell shader was 20 draw calls per object. Is that the case with Neofur?

36. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

@Hamesh81 - You called it. Currently, every shell is a separate draw call. This is very unfortunate and we would very much like to fix this. Looking into instancing to resolve this is a high priority for us right now.[/QUOTE]

How about pregenerating the shell geometry, making a memory-time trade-off?

37. cman2k

cman2k

We are already pre-generating the shell geo, the draw call issues currently have more to do with how we update each shell via the compute shader, IIRC. I'm hopeful we'll be able to alleviate this in the future though.

38. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Ah, right, that makes sense!

39. Spike_Felion

Spike_Felion

It works now, one last question, does it work by having a certain material I add the shader to and it does the hair so for my avatar I can have the 2 materials 1 for clothing other for fur imaginaly

Also when does the sale end

40. RizeoftheSummonds

RizeoftheSummonds

Looks promising. I also saw that this was at Unity's Unite conference in 2015. Congrats on you accomplishments.

peet808 likes this.
  41. Skippu

Skippu

Thanks for replying, I've been thoroughly enjoying the software so far. I did have a feeling that the way your current licenses worked may be an issue as most Unity assets are per-seat.
    Still I'm looking forward to future releases. Reading over what some of the others have asked you've got some clear goals and a lot of room to get even better :)

42. peet808

peet808

cman2k and neoglyphic like this.
  43. peet808

peet808

Quick update - We've just posted two video tutorials on YouTube:

Install guide:

Quickstart guide:

What tutorials would you like to see next?

And of course it wouldn't be an update if I didn't remind you that our sale is still going on for 2 more weeks. 20% off until New Years: https://www.neoglyphic.com/neofur/unity

--Pete

44. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

A tutorial about how to use blendshape as a fur volume.

45. coldpizzapunk

coldpizzapunk

I have Neofur working in the Daydream VR beta and it looks great. Wondering how I can setup the cameras to utilize the Neofur Camera LOD. When you apply a camera to your script and go into play mode it creates the left and right cameras, and the fur dissapears. If I don't place a camera, then it works with no LOD support. I have some ideas for workarounds, but if it has already been addressed. Thanks!

46. peet808

peet808

I just want to let everyone know that we've posted up a couple more tutorials:

Intro to Spline Guides:

Using Morph Guides:

Any requests as to what you want to see next?
    --Pete

wetcircuit likes this.
  47. gecko

gecko

In the last beta, Mac performance was pretty bad--I had a ticket open on the beta forum, but I apparently deleted all those emails so can't find that thread anymore. So can you tell me if there's been any improvements on that, and if there'd be a way to test those out on my Mac before purchasing?

48. peet808

peet808

@gecko - I've just responded to you via email. In short, yes, the mac perf has improved since the beta. We also have a ton more optimizations on the imminent horizon.
    --Pete

49. J_P_

J_P_

Still accepting beta invites? Indie dev here that may have a use for stylized use cases (game runs on windows/mac/linux)

50. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Does it work on Apple TV4 ?