Search Unity

[WIP] MOBA - Live Streaming Dev

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by rorakin3, Sep 23, 2014.

1. rorakin3

rorakin3

Hey,
    I've been working on an FPS / TPS medieval action combat MOBA with Bolt for past couple months.

Recently decided to try live streaming my progress with mic commentary, stop by and say hi, and maybe learn something!

http://www.twitch.tv/stuartsummerfield

Trello Board! Track progress of the project and even suggest ideas to put on the board via live stream!

https://trello.com/b/XUQfseYd/fps-moba

This project uses UGUI (Unity 4.6), as well as several asset store products such as:
    Bolt Networking
    Final IK
    Skyshop

I'll try to stream every day 6-9pm US Central.

Teaser Screenshot -

12 Minions going at eachother:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Fragmental, GibTreaty and jonkuze like this.
  2. rorakin3

rorakin3

Streaming now! This stream session will focus on the lane minions, basically moving this cute little guy around and having him attack networked players and other enemy team minions.

Attached Files:

3. rorakin3

rorakin3

Hey all, stream is on, this session will continue work on the networked lane minions, more specifically having them detect other minions and players and attack.

4. rorakin3

rorakin3

Hey, stream is up, this session will be adding worldspace UGUI health bars to the minions, adding networked minion damage to other minions, players doing damage to minions, and minions attacking players.

5. jonkuze

jonkuze

caught the last bit of the live stream, thanks for showing me gameplay! it's looking cool! I look foward to seeing your progress with Bolt Networking.

With Bolt Networking are the Servers Hosted Locally for Now? Then you need to Setup a Dedicated Server? I wonder how that works... I'm using Photon for my MOBA and so far so good.

6. rorakin3

rorakin3

Thanks Kuroato! Yea, since each game or match will be an instance of an authoritative bolt server, there will need to be a separate server that acts as a lobby / match making system, which spawns / starts bolt servers, but I have not looked into setting that up yet.

Live stream starting now, this session will continue with lane minions, such as players damaging minions, minions attacking players, and polish related stuff like hit effects.

Last session we pretty much did minion damage, minion healthbars, and additional minion AI, such as what to do after killing a minion.

7. jonkuze

jonkuze

ah I see... so for now your just hosting locally, or in single player offline mode or something. I though about authoritative server but currently I felt it might be way out of my budget to support that between development cost, and also cost of hosting a dedicated Photon Server. Although at anytime I think Photon makes it easy to transition between Peer-to-Peer Cloud Service, to Photon Dedicated Self-Hosted Server if I needed later.

I will probably have to make good use of their Regions Feature, where I allow players to Pick what Region to Play in to get the best Connection.

I wonder how League of Legends, or Dota 2 handles their Server... is it Authoritative? I think your going in the right direction with Authoritative Server as long as you can support the Cost of that kind of Hosting when your ready to release the game.

8. rorakin3

rorakin3

Yea, I'm kinda just plugging along with the game / gameplay. Plan is to worry about server costs / hosting when I have a working game :)

Stream starting back up again, I did towers hitting minions and players earlier today, this session will be focused on minimap, and then probably ranged minions or player abilities.

9. rorakin3

rorakin3

Streaming now summary of progress from the weekend - tower hitting minions and players with hit effect done, player death and respawn done, ranged minions and ranged minion hit effects done, inhibitors created, and minimap pins for players minions, towers.

This session will focus on adding polish / effects such as as melee minion hit effects, player arrow hit effects, UI damage number indicators.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I might as well pop in and look... Can't view streams right now though!

But of what I can see... it's lookin' pretty nice! Love the UI, also something to look forward to when 4.6 comes out! :)

11. rorakin3

rorakin3

Yea, I'm very much liking UGUI :)

Alright guys, last session we pretty much did hit effects including hit sounds for the player arrow. This session, I think we will continue adding more polish effects. Still need to do melee minion hit effects as well as UI damage numbers. Other effects like little exclamation points when minions switch target to you (the player), as is done in LoL would also be nice to add.

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@rorakin3: I could help with particle fx if you like! :)

Although getting an actual contact point can be trivial, I have done punch flare fx before, so melee minion shouldn't be hard... ;)

13. rorakin3

rorakin3

Thanks, for the offer, but I think I'm satisfied with the effects for now :)

Streaming now, for this session I will be upgrading bolt version as well as doing the new bolt tutorial from scratch. I have a few months old version of bolt and it's time I upgraded :)

14. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

15. rorakin3

rorakin3

Last stream, pretty much finished upgrading Bolt to the latest version. This session will be focused on refactoring / organizing the project to be more manageable.

16. rorakin3

rorakin3

Hey guys, stream starting up again soon. Over the weekend, did some work for weapon swapping, and also made a GUI for weapon selection. Idea is that each player will select 2 weapons. Each weapon will have 2-3 skills, and can swap between their chosen 2 weapons during game-play.

Below is a screenshot of the GUI, right now it shows a rotating 3d model of your selection and you can use the arrows to change your selection and the selection checkboxes on the left are an easy way to filter weapons by weapon type.

Fragmental likes this.
  17. rorakin3

rorakin3

Fog of war for the minimap added yesterday:

Fragmental and jonkuze like this.
  18. rorakin3

rorakin3

Been MIA for a few weeks, but back to streaming again. Currently integrating databases using an asset from the birthday sale.

19. rorakin3

rorakin3

Added items database/ shop:

Added inventory, and gold earning from monster kills:

Added support for multiple languages:

Fragmental likes this.
  20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

21. aanimation

aanimation

did you have offline video tut? or on uTube?