Search Unity

[WIP]My first Game - Ninja Girl

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Sven-Herzog, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. Member123456

Member123456

For a first game it's not bad at all. Keep up the good work!

Sven-Herzog likes this.
  3. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

Many Thanks.
    How many levels are appropriate for the start ? Does anyone have experience?

4. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

@Sven Herzog - How many levels do you need? You have to define the number that you want, there is only one important rule to level design and that is: "every level have to be meaningful".

The old Mega Man games had one level for each boss. Each boss represented a gimmick and they used it as a theme for the level. Other games have multiple levels before a boss, one level introduces the reason why you should fight the boss, another one represents the journey and the last one takes the player to the boss. Then we have the Castlevania type of games where each level represents a section of the castle and the player can reach different areas by taking one of the many routes. There is also open world games and so on...

A good approach is to ask yourself, what is the purpose of your Ninja? Who is she? What is it she is meant to do? How does she do it? Look at it as a story and find the most important parts and build the levels around that.

Another approach is to look at it like a puzzle, is there something she has to overcome in each level?

theANMATOR2b and Sven-Herzog like this.
  5. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

Thanks, that helped me very well. I 'm currently thinking how I can put the puzzle with the idea I find very interesting .

Greetings Sven

6. Trollpants

Trollpants

Looks good for a first game.

How much time do you plan on spending on developing it further? Are you going to add any additional mechanics (e.g. running or double jump)? As @Deon Cadme mentioned, there's no need to add more levels unless they serve a purpose. You can use levels to introduce new mechanics, enemies or obstacles, or you can have one "infinite" level with increasing difficulty.

A good approach is to have simple but well-polished mechanics, and saving additional content for a sequel.

Sven-Herzog likes this.
  7. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

Thank you.
    I try every evening one hour to take to develop . In the video, only the first level is seen in the other 3 levels I have sublevels and flying platforms.
    The player will still get to throw a knife in the next few days and I 'm still thinking if I install a key to unlock the next level ?

Trollpants likes this.
  8. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

I have the level 1 and 2 changed.

9. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

It's really good for a first game.

Try to polish it , make sure your jump and combat system are perfect before doing all of the levels.
    Add a life system( I didn't see one in the video) .

there is one thing that I found strange, is when you have an enemy that stay on your head ^^

Good work .

Sven-Herzog likes this.
  10. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

Thanks a lot. Can you tell me what would you change to the jump and battle system ? The player can currently not move when he fights.

The live system works so that when you die , and only when all health is gone it is game over half of health is deducted .

This can stand on your head the enemy is me not so aware noticed that I have to look at me once .

11. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

I'm sorry I don't understand the "This can stand on your head the enemy is me not so aware noticed that I have to look at me once ."
    for the combat system It seem to be too simple ( right now,you have an enemy in front of you , you punch him until he die...) You should have a small way to know that the enemy is going to attack you and go back .
    try : Devious dungeon, it's a simple game
    https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=devious dungeon

Did you try to find a graphist to help you ?

well done for a first game.

12. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

Sorry my english is not so good.

I thought : That the enemy stay on my head I have not been so noticed .

13. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I'm working to get where you are at the moment with a release! Great job on release.
    Here is some feedback on polishing.

1. Camera could be smoother. Right now it moves 1 to 1 with the character but it'd be more pleasing to the user if it lead the character in front of her when she moves forward, and was smoother on the direction changes. Reference the original Super Mario Bros.
    2. It would be nice if she had some alt attacks. Maybe swing, swing, kick. OR swing, kick, swing.
    3. It would also be nice if the enemies had a different attack than the main character, and agree with @1HpLeft completely (anticipation) 2D platformer enemies are best to have attack anticipation which tells the player when the enemy is going to attack. Even if it's a quick 1-2 frame flash. Look at any nintendo games Super Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, Castlevania, Metroid. They all have enemy anticipation animation frames.
    4. Some alt enemies in the same theme of the game would be nice. Maybe, non humanoid, wild animal, charging boar, bouncing something, random flying dragonfly or something. Just to give/add some variety to the enemies. Think of the flying Medusa heads in Castlevania. Hate those heads! :)
    5. Some additional ninja concepts could be interesting as well. Smoke bombs, throwing stars, wall stick/climb. But maybe listen to @Trollpants knowledge and save additional content for sequel.

Cool character concepts and animations look nice too!
    Good job!

Sven-Herzog and Trollpants like this.
  14. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

Thanks for the helpful tips.
    I have the level 1 changed.
    About your feedback , I would be delighted.

Regards, Sven.

15. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

I have the level design and the UI changed.

I would appreciate your opinion.

Regards, Sven.

16. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Nice update on the camera it looks smoother and more user friendly to the player.
    Alternate visuals on the characters is very nice as well. The one thing I think could improve this is if the different looking characters acted different and had different attacks also. I'm not saying this is mandatory for success, but it would be nice to see differentiation in attacks in addition to look.

Nice update.

Sven-Herzog likes this.
  17. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

Thank you,
    i now want to install the non-human enemies and the loading screen. The enemy AI I want to change again if I have solved the problem with the ladder.
    And then I would take care of the level system. Does anyone have a good idea for a level system?

Regards, Sven.

18. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

Hi, nice work

You should make a webplayer version so we can test it.
    Some parrallaxing would be nice , and the gravity seem pretty strong

Keep up the good work ^^

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  19. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

Thank you, when i have the loading screen and level 1 then i make a webplayer version. i search a new Background for the parrallaxing.

Regards, Sven.

20. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

21. Nicrom

Nicrom

It looks very nice. I like the art style. I think it would be good to have an option for the difficulty level that would control how fast the girl dies.

22. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

I don't have time to test the game right now , but you should really put some screenshot on the playstore page ( a small trailer would be nice too , but that require a bit of work)

23. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

Thank you 1HpLeft i have added some screenshots and a little video.
    Thank you for the idea Nicrom.

24. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

What can and should I improve it ?
    I would otherwise add more levels .

Greeting Sven

25. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Haven't tested yet, but was wondering why are there two 'A' buttons? Shouldn't one of them be 'C' or something else?

26. Sven-Herzog

Sven-Herzog

Sorry my mistake. I have updated the video now.