Search Unity

WIP Large Physics Simulations With Unity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by pauladam316, Nov 30, 2015.

1. pauladam316

pauladam316

I have been working on a tool that allows unity gameplay to be rendered into 60fps video. I have been using it to do huge physics simulations that would otherwise crash my computer. Here is a small scale test that I did using a 10x10x10 cube made of the default sphere mesh. Let me know what you guys think and if you would use a tool like this. I am considering putting it on the asset store once it is finished!

2. Martin_H

Martin_H

Looks nice, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone here would rather be interested in having the physics system sped up so that you could get 60fps in realtime on something like this ;). Using Unity basically as a render engine doesn't really convince me as a good idea. Free tools like blender should offer similar functionality plus simulations for smoke, fire and fluids. Commercial 3D packages with specialized plugins will be able to offer even more. I'm not sure who your target audience could be. The most practical actual usecase I could think of would be people rendering their Greenlight trailers out to smooth 60fps when their game would run like that on a good gameing PC, but due to financial constraints they are stuck with an old laptop for example. I could see how they'd potentially benefit from a tool that allows them to render out to a smooth framerate, but you'd also have to take care of the audio somehow.

3. pauladam316

pauladam316

Thanks for the feedback!
    While I understand that there are much better rendering engines, I think unity is one of the easiest to learn and I thought this would be a cool way for people to get into rendering! Its easy to use and provides fast results, like unity itself. However I never thought about marketing it to Greenlight devs! that is a great idea as it would help trailers not be limited by the developers hardware. Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated,

4. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

Tool? You mean you created your own physics engine, right? Tell us what are possibilities of it(springs, joints?).

5. pauladam316

pauladam316

Sadly no. I dont have the skills or the time to make this. My tool uses unity's physics engine and renders individual frames, then compiling them back into a video

6. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

Change the name of this thread then, since the thread name suggests this is a physics tool and not a video tool

7. pauladam316

pauladam316

Is it possible to change the name of the thread? if so how do I do it?