Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[ WIP ] Kris Hammes - 3D character Library

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by KrisHammes, Nov 13, 2013.

1. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Hello Unity Forums

I'd like to show a few links to my latest update for my unity asset store item, that I will be soon submitting.

It is going to be a character library for the asset store. For now its just one, however if i'm successful in my submission I Hope to expand this into a wide variety of characters. This is all explained in the video links below!

Also if this would be of any interest to you at all, then please feel free to follow my on Twitter @Kris_Hammes or even email me at Kris.Hammes@googlemail.com so I can share the good news should this be accepted to the store.

Edit :

Current web build

3rd person

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5999451/UnityChars/KBH_Char_web1.7.html

side scroll

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5999451/UnityChars/KBH_Char_web1.7 - side.html

Intro Video

Vid 02 - Jumping System

Vid 03 - Swapping the character mesh

Vid 04 - Explanation of the jump curve graphs.

Vid 05 - My animator setup (warning..bit boring and hard to follow, but may be needed for some users.

more videos to come!

Feel free to throw me any comments or ask any questions.

Kris

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Like to Add, i will be offering 4 texture variants with the character.

Also I will be offering a service to change the textures to make them bespoke for the devs, so if you want him to have pink hair and bright green clothes i can totally do that! ;)

$Char01-Variants.JPG

3. Jasper1900

Jasper1900

Looks good, is this the only style your planning to use, or also realistic and toon etc?
    Will the characters have an optimization option?
    What will the price be?
    Are these the only animations included with the characters?

4. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Hi Semmie

is this the only style your planning to use, or also realistic and toon etc?

- Plan to cover lots of different styles. If people request a certain style or theme then I will look into it.

- I will release 2 LODs. I'm not hugely experienced with shaders so the shader isnt complex.

-I'm thinking $40-$50 . I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on that in fact.

- These are the only anims currently, however if certain anims / controller features seem to be requested often I will try my best to implement them in the future releases.

5. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

6. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

P.s

sorry if you get stuck down a hole and get annoyed.

it would obviously be up to the dev to put proper respawn triggers in ;)

7. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there Kris!
    Great updates =)
    Have you considered integrating your project and UMA? Looks like a perfect match!

8. cynel

cynel

yes this must be integrated with UMA

9. goat

goat

Good work. I'll probably eventually buy but you should integrate eventually with UMA I think. Looks nice though, I already have two other pirates from the asset store.

P.S. You're liable to get better sales if your platformer mini-game makes sense in the context of the pirate character. e.g. Use simple cartoon-like cartoon piers, pirate ships with planks (walking the plank), and ropes to tight-rope balance walk across mooring the ship to a pier, and so on...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  10. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Hey Goat... are you saying that you think the asset should come bunldes with a few enviroment assets?

11. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

regarding UMA... if the character hierarchy works with mechanim it would be a total breeze to swap a new character into my system.

Perhaps I should record a vid where I swap in a new character in case people wish to do this ?

I had hoped people would like to use my characters though! haha

12. cynel

cynel

Well there's a UMA Group at Skype

13. goat

goat

I'm saying that if you're going to include the platformer minigame you're be better off making the non-character assets look good (I gave examples of typical pirate environment assets that would work in a platformer style game) or not include those assets or the minigame at all. So basically, unless you improve the 'minigame environment' your asset is complete.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  14. goat

goat

We would be UMA would make them more flexible. Bringing them is more work than you think if you plan on brings in the human mesh. What you're do is make the clothes for the UMA mesh in Blender, MAX, or Maya and then adjust the 'values of the UMA humanoid look' and retexture the UMA humanoid to look like your pirate.

I'd still buy your pirate if the price was OK but later on down the road I'd be less inclined to buy such non UMA characters because UMA would probably have equivalents.

15. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

It wasn't planned as a mini game, just an alternative control option for people who wish to make sidescrollers

16. goat

goat

OK, no biggy I'll still buy because of the pirate(s) but what I basically meant was that the side platformer control won't bring sales in my opinion. The pirate character will, it's good if you add simple toon-like piers, wharfs, planks, pirate ships that will.

17. cynel

cynel

so any more Pics ?

18. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

No new images but ive done a video about character swapping.

It takes about 60 seconds .. im not sure how I managed to record a 13 minute video.. need to get better at at ;)

I replace the character with a female character to show how simple it is.

19. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

After I did this I realised you could probably just overwrite the fbx in projects directory and it would also work.

20. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Update

Added two videos

04- Explains the animation curves used in the jumping

05- attempting to explain my animator system. This is a tad boring and a little hard to follow but i suspect I will be directing people here should the asset go live and I need to provide support for users.

21. goat

goat

Nice videos. Would like to see a female with a long French braid down her back.

22. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Ill be doing 3 male adventurer characters to see how the revenue goes.

Hopefully it will be enough to reinvest and get animations for a female character. 3 adventurer types.. one could definitely have a french braid :)

23. goat

goat

Cool, I'll be a customer.

24. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

After submission Ill move this thread to the Asset store and do an update for each character added :)

25. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

eeeek its uploading for submission now..

exciting times!

Gonna do another vid Monday with the low poly character and a video explaining some thoughts for a future roadmap

26. goat

goat

Well post a link when it's ready and I'll buy within the next 2 months depending on the price.

27. Jasper1900

Jasper1900

I think that's a good price. Maybe you can upload a demo or something. I buy things faster if I saw their quality.

28. goat

goat

I don't know what you priced it at. I'd buy it at $25 sooner, $40 - $50 I'm not so sure. It depends on the sales volume you expect I suppose.

29. goat

goat

Hmmm, they must have a big backlog. I still can't find 'Hammes' in the Asset Store when I search.

30. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Yeah sorry, i should have updated this page.

I submit a week or so back and they unity were fantastic, really quick.

Initial Submission came back with feedback saying I needed to create documentations, which is now done.

Second Submission returned with concerns over some of the animations. I'm having my animator re-do 4 anims of concern so once that's done which I hope to be soon ill submit again.

Side note, I'm working with really limited funds so the animator is doing me a favour with great anims for a low price (friend rate!) but I cant really push him as he has other freelance work. I hope it will be done early next week at the latest. Ill let you know

Kris

p.s thanks for looking guys, i really hope it will be up soon!
    pps. ill give you a sneak peek at early progress of my next character soon :)

31. goat

goat

Sounds good to me.

32. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Hi guys

so here a sneak peek of the early work for my second character :)

as for the anims 3/5 are finished so hopefully they will be done soon :)

33. goat

goat

Nice. So you sculpt them in Z-Brush? I would change the v-neck t-shirt to either be a shirt that traditionally uses that cross-stitching shoe-lace on the neck or a plain crew-neck or V-neck t-shirt.

34. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Yeah Zbrush to start :)

Good news my animator says the anims should be done today! I do hope so

35. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

News anims are in, and id like to explain the need for them.

Basically five of the old anims were mocap data, and thankfully the eagle eyes of the submission team spotted them. In the terms and conditions of the supplier of the mocap data, I would be allowed to embed the data into a game where it cant be extracted, but including them in my package would be against the terms!

bit of a bugger, cost me about 2 weeks and a bit of money, but now happily every animation is hand animated!

here are some previews of them, can you let me know if this link doesnt work please.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/x0aryxhvtume6zc/0gh_cazffa

36. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

37. cynel

cynel

I Still think this Should be integrated With UMA.

38. goat

goat

I see it's finally in the asset store, I'll still be a customer but not til after Christmas. :)

39. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

40. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

and ill get that French braid girl in as soon as i can fund the female anim sets

Spread the word! :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  41. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

42. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

43. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

44. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Update.. working on my 4 texture variants

$Wip02.JPG

45. goat

goat

Finally bought your 1st character....may buy the other one too...not sure yet.

46. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Hey Goat

Really great to see you got it. Ive not been able to directly contact any of my buyers so far, which is a tad annoying as id like to check up with them to see how things are.

I can set up the system pretty quickly, but I don't know if I've explained it well enough for others!

Could you please email me at kris.hammes@googlemail.com so we can have a chat about the asset, give me any thoughts or critiques.

Kris

p.s as one of my early followers, which I really appreciated, would you like me to make you a custom texture? :D

47. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

Good news (for me at least!)

The new character is up! Sharing the firsts anims for now, but if I get some more sales ill give him a bespoke walk and run.

$screen03.JPG

Here is a link to the asset

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/14406

And a link to the web demo.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5999451/UnityChars/char02/Char02.html

Also id like to ask you all what sort of characters you would like to see. Sales have been slim on the first character, I think its pretty decent quality and a nice character but too specific perhaps for business. It was in a way an indulgence, a character I wanted to make.

Are there any types of character people would like to see?

same style, but high fantasy perhaps?

Do people value the anims and controller or would you prefer a skinned model, minus that, at a lower price?

Anyhow, all that aside, I hope you like the new character :)

48. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

49. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Great stuff Kris. Quality work here!

50. KrisHammes

KrisHammes

I recently negotiated resale rights on a piece of freelance work, which means my current project will double as an asset store item.

This one will take me some time to complete but I am planning to bring a high quality generic male character to the store next. I will sell this as mod, texture and rig only (mecanim ready) at a reduced price (compared to the other character who come with anims)

Attached Files: